Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
lkg4healthyhair said:
I'm still transitioning. 9months post tomorrow.

It is really difficult right now dealing with the two textures. I will be getting a weave soon so I dont have to deal. I know understand why people change their minds--this isn't easy. My hair is sooooo dry.

I tried to trim my own hair in December and cut most of the relaxed ends off:mad: so it is a lot shorter and braid outs dont look right anymore.

So I will wear extensions for the rest of the year.
I BC'd right around nine months, with about 5 inches of natural hair. Haven't looked back. At that point, the length wasn't that crucial to me.

The urge is biting again!!!

So to satisfy it, I took another twist down and got off all the relaxed ends.

I had so much fun playing with that little piece. I washed, conditioned, oiled and styled it :lachen:

Hey transitioners:

How are things?

I'm 49 weeks post this week. I have made a decision: I am doing the BC at week 57--holy week. It will be a reflective, meditative week for me, a good time to make a change. Unless I do it earlier. ;)

I did my first braid out Friday night that really "felt" more like a natural braidout (although I still have about 8" of relaxed hair) rather than a braidout on mostly relaxed hair. I couldn't stop feeling it and staring at it (the pic in my avatar)--and my date told me it looked beautiful. :dinner:

I've been enjoying my transition, but I'm ready to get from under the relaxed ends--I can't wait to BC.

Cheleigh said:
Hey transitioners:

How are things?

I'm 49 weeks post this week. I have made a decision: I am doing the BC at week 57--holy week. It will be a reflective, meditative week for me, a good time to make a change. Unless I do it earlier. ;)

I did my first braid out Friday night that really "felt" more like a natural braidout (although I still have about 8" of relaxed hair) rather than a braidout on mostly relaxed hair. I couldn't stop feeling it and staring at it (the pic in my avatar)--and my date told me it looked beautiful. :dinner:

I've been enjoying my transition, but I'm ready to get from under the relaxed ends--I can't wait to BC.
Congratulations Cheleigh! I am happy that you have made it to that part. It makes me sad that I even tried to texturize at 6 months. We used to be hair buddies and I would be there with you. Well I shall turn you into a role model instead.

mscounselor said:
Congratulations Cheleigh! I am happy that you have made it to that part. It makes me sad that I even tried to texturize at 6 months. We used to be hair buddies and I would be there with you. Well I shall turn you into a role model instead.

It doesn't matter. Your hair was very cute when you cut the layers into it after your texturizer, and you'll know that you transitioned in your OWN time, not based on someone else's time schedule.

You will be beautifully natural soon enough--when YOU'RE ready! :) HHG!

Hows it going? Im still here.. barely! I wanan BC so bad but I promised myself no more major cutitng. I need to kepe that promise. My braidouts are becoming more natural as well. Looking at those relaxed ends makes me wanna... I WONT DO IT!!! :lol: Really this transition has been SO EASY for me. The only thing thats hard is fighting the urge to CHOP!

Congrats Cheleigh, can't wait to see pictures of your BC.

I've just past a year of transitioning. I'm probably getting braids soon. If I don't, I'll be tempted to cut the rest of my relaxed ends off.

Wow, everyone is itching to chop. Im not gonna lie I'm thinking the same thing. I'm fighting to hang in there for just a little bit longer. Whats seven months when its been eleven already...alot.

Hi everyone,
I'm nine months into transistioning and I'm getting excited because I know I'm getting closer to the day that I can do a big chop. I'm not ready yet, though...so I will continue to do what I've been doing and seeing the changes as the days go on.

My transistion has been pretty good. My hair is super soft so I don't have the problems of combing my hair when its dry, because the comb slips right through it and it doesn't break at all from it. I think during the 5th and 6th month, I was having lots of shedding, so I really moisturized and use protective styling more.

Right now, I rollerset my hair once-a-week after a good wash & conditioning. I wrap my hair and make sure I keep my relaxed ends soft and supple. It's been really good. My husband really likes my hair; he's always making comments on how thick and healthy it looks. That's very important to me because above all else, I prefer my hair to be at its healthest state, then it will grow long the way it should be.

This is a good thread. Thanks for starting it.

Blessings...

MissJ said:
Do y'all notice more dandruff now?

No. Ever since I started CO Washing last year I havent had a problem w/ dandruff. But now my scalp is starting to itch a bit more, even sometimes after I CO Wash which never happened before, it may be a sign of increased hair growth, not too sure though.

I love my natural hair and I love feeling how my new growth feels. I am currently 16 weeks post. One question though, I get discouraged easliy from going natural because of detangling, any advice?

Dlene said:
I love my natural hair and I love feeling how my new growth feels. I am currently 16 weeks post. One question though, I get discouraged easliy from going natural because of detangling, any advice?

You need to find a good conditioner that will help with the detangling. Months 6 through 9 were rough for me but I eventually found conditioners that made detangling much easier. Some of my favorite conditioners while transitioning were anything by St. Ives, Kenra Moisturizing and Elucence Moisturizing. Using a leave-in helps too. You have to experiment a little in order to find out which conditioners work best for you.

MissJ said:
Well, I guess I need to try to get past the hair and scrub my scalp when I wash now.

I made this mistake the first time I did a 3 month stretch. I didn't touch my newgrowth AT ALL. By the time I went for my touch-up, the guy who bases my scalp was like "look, she has dred locks", lol.

Dlene said:

A good conditioner a wide tooth comb or a shower comb will help with detangling. What I do is finger part my hair in 4 sections and make one braid for each section then slather on some V05 or White Rain Condtioner on each section then massage it in then gently detangle each section, it takes just 15 mins for me to dangle. I find this method easier and quicker than doing it the old fashion way.

HTH~

MissJ said:
Congrats Cheleigh, can't wait to see pictures of your BC.

I've just past a year of transitioning. I'm probably getting braids soon. If I don't, I'll be tempted to cut the rest of my relaxed ends off.
Congrats on hitting your year MissJ!

MissJ said:
Well, I guess I need to try to get past the hair and scrub my scalp when I wash now.
I noticed more build up and itchiness(I'm one who still doesn't understand the difference between dry scalp and dandruff)

I just spray my scalp with baking soda and water.

Glad I came in here today.

I going into my 9th month. I decided its time to put the hair away so I will get braids/weaves.

I also decided to BC in June 2006 which will be 1 year of transitioning. My relaxed ends look so pitiful. I really want to get rid of them but still need to put my hair in a ponytail sometimes.

Still trying to find the best products for my hair.

Thaks for sharing you experiences and albums they are inspiring.

Man...

Cutting is really addictive!

I ended up taking down a few more twists today and chopped...I don't know how long I'm going to last yall!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) Its cool! We all have the same goal, you just may get there quicker :lol: Im still hanging around. But I can tell my time is running low too :)

beyondcute said:
:) Its cool! We all have the same goal, you just may get there quicker :lol: Im still hanging around. But I can tell my time is running low too :)

Girl I'm telling you, I almost feel perverted because my hair feels sooooo gooooooood and I can't keep my hands out of it. Right before I chopped this one, I ran my hands through the hair and there were broken pieces all over my hand. I put up a pic of the damaged hair in my fotki. It felt so nasty, but now...rubbing my hair is making my heart flutter lol.

You know what makes me say EWWW is seeing the difference between those scraggly relaxede ends that I THOUGHT were thick compared to my new growth. They look sick. And Im MUST be a pervert cuz Im ALWAYS playing with my hair. The new rowth has so much personality and is just..... ahhhhh..... :D Perfect.

I may be coming out of the hair closet soon...I have a digital camera....you know what that means...fotki alert! fotki alert! But not yet....it's still under construction!:eek:

Ladies, I'm getting really frustrated... I am about 7 months post relaxer into this transition trying to resist the BC... I have ALWAYS had healthy thick hair; ALWAYS. Until now. My hair is still healthy, but it doesn't seem as thick as it was (the relaxed portion). I had been wearing protective styles for the last 5-6 months, but really like wearing my hair down, so I had been either pressing with a ceramic iron (protective serum of course) and getting DBlowouts every now and then. This was only once a month.

Well, trying to do these conditioner washes/ every 2-day washes, etc, I had a tangled mess back in December and think I probably combed out half my hair!!!!:( I was really upset, but decided to press on. Well, recently, I went to visit a friend in MD and her hair has always been as think as mine and she's been transitioning for 2 yrs with only 2-3 inches of relaxed ends left. Her hair is BSL and it's GORGEOUS! She of course doesn't do anything magical, and I know she's pregnant right now, but her hair made my hair look like it's on CRACK!

My hair is starting to look thinner and thinner to me on the ends. What do you guys suggest? I'm resisting getting a relaxer, but right about now, it felt DEFINATELY easier than what I'm going through now. BTW, I'm transitioning because I want to have the option of wearing my natural hair. I love the straight look and am not transitioning to get away from that. I also am not a fan of braids because they seem to leave me even thinner.

TIA

Back