Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
OnePraying,
You broke it down girl. :) I am still trying to find out what works for my hair. I used to M.O.M back when i was younger but i haven't tried it for years. I am just trying to find what works for my hair and when i go i wont be buying products here and there.

Beyondcute,
Girl i am like you if something doesn't work i pass it on. I usually give it to my mother and if she doesn't like it she'll give it to my brothers. They just want something to slap on their heads, but they keep a low cut so it really doesn't matter for them. My mother loves her some grease too. I like it every now and then. When my hair was natural, girl was loving me some grease and my hair was growing nicely and barely and shedding. So to each its own. I am just trying not to get caught up in all the raves and stuff.

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Congratulations on your decision to go natural!! I transitioned for 1 year and 4 months so I would like to assist you all on your journey, if you all would like me to. This will be a thread for you ladies to vent about the change, ask questions, etc etc. I check in this forum everyday, so there will be NO question unanswered. Also, veteran transitioners, please assist me!!:yay:

Here's my album- http://public.fotki.com/Naturali-t the password is brillo

I am really excited about going natural,BUT I have been getting negative feedback except from my friend who encouraged me to go natural and my hair stylist. What should I do? The negative feedback I have been hearing is that it gets too tangled, difficult to comb and your hair will start breaking. Is this true? What is a good deep conditioner that you recommend to use? What moisturizers are you using?

TIA

Hi fellow transitiioners,

I just went to the salon and this was my first visit to the salon during my transition. I'm about 18 weeks post relaxer. The beautician roller set my hair on the mesh rollers with the pins because she said it would pull the new growth more tighter and then when she was done she grazed lightly over my new growth with the flat iron. Before she used the flat iron she showed me how smooth the rollers got my hair. I was impressed because I've always had used magnetic rollers. My hair looked really good and very full. It looked like my hair was relaxed because the rollers pulled my new growth so straight. I think I found a style that manages the two textures.:grin:

Dlene said:
I am really excited about going natural,BUT I have been getting negative feedback except from my friend who encouraged me to go natural and my hair stylist. What should I do? The negative feedback I have been hearing is that it gets too tangled, difficult to comb and your hair will start breaking. Is this true? What is a good deep conditioner that you recommend to use? What moisturizers are you using?

TIA

My hair turned into dred locks at 3 months post until I discovered Kenra Moisturing Conditioner. That stuff is a God send! I also realized that I HAVE to braid my hair in sections to let it dry or it will dry in one tangled knotted bush. Also, the right tools are key. I use a K-Cutter comb to detangle and denman d3 brush to smooth and straighten.

caligirl said:
My hair turned into dred locks at 3 months post until I discovered Kenra Moisturing Conditioner. That stuff is a God send! I also realized that I HAVE to braid my hair in sections to let it dry or it will dry in one tangled knotted bush. Also, the right tools are key. I use a K-Cutter comb to detangle and denman d3 brush to smooth and straighten.

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!!! This makes my journey MUCH easier! I started doing this, because I remembered what my mom would do when I was a little girl. She would always grease and braid it right after she washed, then should would lightly press it or pony tail it the next day. This made it alot more manageable and it still holds true today. :yep:

Dlene said:

TIA

All of these things are possible, but it would take alot of neglect from you to get there. Throughout my transition I have learned that the best thing for me to do is brush my conditioner through during my cowashes. This make detangling easier and safer. I cowash with Tresemme or Dove. I don't use any moisturizers since I wet my hair often. I use to deep condition once a week, but I've been slacking. I maybe do it once every other month now :( but when I do, I use Mizani/Biolage/Matrix. I have not had an issue with breakage, thankfully. I'm just counting down to the BC.

nubianqt86 said:
All of these things are possible, but it would take alot of neglect from you to get there. Throughout my transition I have learned that the best thing for me to do is brush my conditioner through during my cowashes. This make detangling easier and safer. I cowash with Tresemme or Dove. I don't use any moisturizers since I wet my hair often. I use to deep condition once a week, but I've been slacking. I maybe do it once every other month now :( but when I do, I use Mizani/Biolage/Matrix. I have not had an issue with breakage, thankfully. I'm just counting down to the BC.

OT: I peaked in your album and your hair is beautiful! I think I'm going to big chop my nape too. But then again, I think for the most part it's already natural because I stopped relaxing it long before I transitioned. I'll check next wash. Thanks for the idea.

nubianqt86 said:

You have really pretty hair! Do you use any products besides conditioner?

nubianqt86 said:
OMG!! I think we are hair twins...thats why my ng looks like too. How ironic I was thinking of what short piece I could cut to see what "fully natural" looks like.

Hi everyone,

I think i might go ahead and do the big chop soon. Like in the next week. I have tried so many things and my hair is still breaking off something terrible. Right now i have it in 12 braids. But i know the moment i take them out to wash it there will be hair all over the bathroom. Its not even funny. I gentally combed my hair and washed it. Detangled it in the shower and still hair all over the place. I am tired of having wipe down the entire bathroom to get rid of all the hair. :perplexed I dont know how i am going to like having hair that is about 3 inches all over.:ohwell: Before when i BC'd it got to a length that was just a pain in the butt. Any sugestions??

Sweetcoco82 said:
Hi everyone,

I think i might go ahead and do the big chop soon. Like in the next week. I have tried so many things and my hair is still breaking off something terrible. Right now i have it in 12 braids. But i know the moment i take them out to wash it there will be hair all over the bathroom. Its not even funny. I gentally combed my hair and washed it. Detangled it in the shower and still hair all over the place. I am tired of having wipe down the entire bathroom to get rid of all the hair. :perplexed I dont know how i am going to like having hair that is about 3 inches all over.:ohwell: Before when i BC'd it got to a length that was just a pain in the butt. Any sugestions??

Maybe you could get some flat twists or cornrows put in so you don't have to mess with it.

caligirl said:
Maybe you could get some flat twists or cornrows put in so you don't have to mess with it.

I would keep it cornrowed but i am about to move like 30-40mins away from my sister-in-law and she is the only person i trust touching my hair. I am really weird when it comes down to someone doing my hair. I have tried to do it myself, but i just cant do it. So its going to have to be something i can do myself.:ohwell:

Dlene said:

TIA

So glad you are excited!!! Welcome to the transitioning side. The rode can be rough and tough sometimes, but with a made up mind, you can do it..:up:

As for the negative feedback, your answer to them should be, "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it" If this is what you want to do, then you know you are willing to take the time to learn your hair, and what works for it. The process of managing transitioning hair (particularly wash days) can be as long or as short as you want. There are so many styling techniques...the funny thing is you have to think "natural" If you think "straight and relaxed" you will be setting yourself up for a fall.

With all that said let's answer your questions!

Yes, it can get tangle. But with PATIENCE and the right techniques you will get through.

Here is what I do: Washing---->Detangle, section(in 4s is best) Moisturizing----> Take down one section, add moisturizing, paying close attention to the line of demarcation, detangle. I have to air dry in a ponytail(usually baggied) So I start as my nape with my moisturizing and then put everything int a ponytail starting there. I agree with styling tools the other ladies mentioned----> K-cutter, denman, wide tooth comb and fingers!

If I'm wanting straight hair, I'll blow dry in sections and maybe do a braidout or something, then come back a day or so later and flatiron. Low manipulation also lessens breakage.

I'm noticing that, for me, a good healthy balance of heat helps with tangling and stress on the hair. It also gives you a break from your hair too!

Moisturizing and deep conditioning treatments help keep the hair strong.

Right now I'm using a mix of Cholestrol, ORS Olive Oil Pak and honey. I generally leave this on my head a day or two for maximum conditioning or out of pure laziness..:lol: When I want to do a strong protein treatment for my relaxed ends I use mayo, evoo, honey and egg. I don't want to use the really hard stuff on my natural hair..

HTH

~op~

Sweetcoco82 said:
Hi everyone,

The choice is totally up to you. However, you are at the point where you'll get all that shedding and stuff..it passes.

Thanks kitchen, cali, and mscounselor (we really could be twins!). Cali, after I cowash I spray in the Aura leave in. I got it from sally's (aveda elixir knock off). After that I smooth back with a little proclaim beeswax. I used ALOT earlier in my transition, but I've learned my lesson.

ETA: View the wet nape pics with a grain of salt. After learning how to make the album, I realized I should be doing those shots without conditioner (no product). I'll take new ones soon. Oh, I don't use much product because the longer my hair gets, the more it seems to behave. It won't even frizz up unless someone (including myself) rubs/touches it.

Last edited:
nubianqt86 said:
Thanks kitchen, cali, and mscounselor (we really could be twins!). Cali, after I cowash I spray in the Aura leave in. I got it from sally's (aveda elixir knock off). After that I smooth back with a little proclaim beeswax. I used ALOT earlier in my transition, but I've learned my lesson.

ETA: View the wet nape pics with a grain of salt. After learning how to make the album, I realized I should be doing those shots without conditioner (no product). I'll take new ones soon. Oh, I don't use much product because the longer my hair gets, the more it seems to behave. It won't even frizz up unless someone (including myself) rubs/touches it.

Your hair is pretty and you are doing well...keep it up!

onepraying said:
The choice is totally up to you. However, you are at the point where you'll get all that shedding and stuff..it passes.

I have always stretched my relaxers 4-6 months and i never had shedding and breakage like this. I think this breakage is from me being pregnant. For the first 4 months i could barely eat a thing. I was on home IV therapy for 6 weeks in the begining cause i could not keep a thing down not even water some days. So for 6 weeks i was living off of IV fluids and what ever water i could keep down so my stomach wouldn't feel empty. My hair that grew at the time felt awful. It is very weak. Thats where my hair is breaking. The part that grew when i couldn't eat a thing. I dont think there is any hope for that hair. :(

Sweetcoco82 said:
I have always stretched my relaxers 4-6 months and i never had shedding and breakage like this. I think this breakage is from me being pregnant. For the first 4 months i could barely eat a thing. I was on home IV therapy for 6 weeks in the begining cause i could not keep a thing down not even water some days. So for 6 weeks i was living off of IV fluids and what ever water i could keep down so my stomach wouldn't feel empty. My hair that grew at the time felt awful. It is very weak. Thats where my hair is breaking. The part that grew when i couldn't eat a thing. I dont think there is any hope for that hair. :(
Oh no...that could be it. So sorry...I had two cousins who recently had babies have a pregnancy like yours...never seen anything like it...

Oy....

I'm now just about 4 months into my transition, I'm hoping not to do the BC, but I'm not sure anymore. I just took my braids out and I have A LOT more newgrowth than when I put them in 5.5 weeks ago. My newgrowth is soooo thick and my relaxed hair is starting to look pitiful next to it :lol:

And can I tell you about SHRINKAGE!! my hair is almost APL in the back but when I hop out of the shower my hair is just touching my shoulders!!

I need a hair buddy. I kind of have one, Lierin, but we're good friends and we ALWAYS talk other stuff. :lol:

Do you all have transitioning hair buddy's are all we all each other's buddies on this thread. :lol:

I need a personal one. :grin:

kitchen_tician said:
I need a hair buddy. I kind of have one, Lierin, but we're good friends and we ALWAYS talk other stuff. :lol:

Do you all have transitioning hair buddy's are all we all each other's buddies on this thread. :lol:

I need a personal one. :grin:
I had one, but she relaxed...:(

I'll be your hair buddy if you like...:grin:

I'm still transitioning. 9months post tomorrow.

It is really difficult right now dealing with the two textures. I will be getting a weave soon so I dont have to deal. I know understand why people change their minds--this isn't easy. My hair is sooooo dry.

I tried to trim my own hair in December and cut most of the relaxed ends off:mad: so it is a lot shorter and braid outs dont look right anymore.

So I will wear extensions for the rest of the year.

I totally forgot, i was supposed to email a someone as a hair buddy. i've lost me chance. I'm incredibly bored now, but i will continue with the usual routine of braids and lots of conditioning

I don't have a hair buddy either. :cool: I think MzTami and I are close in transitioning stages.

I have officially decided that I am slowly going to cut the relaxed ends off. I don't have the balls to BC. It's too drastic for me. So last week I trimmed about 1.5 inches in "split ends" and the next day I still have split ends. :ohwell: I guess that just shows that my ends are split further up the hair shaft. Oh well. I need to just cut it all off and call it a day.

I was browsing through hair albums and I found a really great album. Ya'll should check it out. I don't know if this girl is a member here or on not. I think she is a member on Nappturality (am I allowed to say that word on this board? :lol: ) Anyway, I drool when I look at her album.:eek: I WANT HER HAIR! :lol: http://public.fotki.com/jenteel/

Back