Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
Hi,

I'm coming out of a texturizer. It's been about two months. My texturizer was still similiar to my own hair texture--I thought, but it is quite different as my hair is getting quite tangled.

I think I'm going to transition by getting my own hair double twisted every couple of weeks.

Has anyone done this?

thanks!

I don't think I've ever posted in this thread, but I just wanted to make sure I was included on the official Transitioners Thread amongst you lovely ladies. :D

I'm approaching 8 months and so far so good. Currently I'm on a rollersetting mission until May 2006. I normally don't set goals, but I figured this may be a good start. I still don't have any plans for the BC, so I'll be a transitioner for the next few YEARS. :lol:

Congrats on all of your progress ladies! Hang in there! :D

hello,

I dont think i even remeber when my last relaxer was so i would say i am trasitioning for about 3 months. Man!!!! its hell. I just want to know how in the hell can i wear cute down styles that will hid my new growth well enough. I ve tried bantu knots and i look like i could scare the dead alive:eek: . Or maybe i did them worng :confused: . If i could wear a down style that hides i think i can make it.

Please help me :perplexed

My only goal right now is to make it to week 16. I have made it to 13 weeks before so it's not hard. Making it to week 16 then 20 then 24 will be a true test. Then after that I may be home free..lol.
I was so tempted to go buy a relaxer today though. EEK! The only reason I'm not is because I figured out how I can get my natural hair as straight as my texturized hair on the days I want it straight. I guess I never gave myself the chance to try and work with it before I relaxed/texturized last year.

Faith said:
My only goal right now is to make it to week 16. I have made it to 13 weeks before so it's not hard. Making it to week 16 then 20 then 24 will be a true test. Then after that I may be home free..lol.
I was so tempted to go buy a relaxer today though. EEK! The only reason I'm not is because I figured out how I can get my natural hair as straight as my texturized hair on the days I want it straight. I guess I never gave myself the chance to try and work with it before I relaxed/texturized last year.

This is the key Faith, working with it. You have to get the mind state of a different textured hair. You hair won't 'do' what it used to relaxed. It takes some getting used to...

You'll make it...:yep:, take each week at a time, be willing to try new things. If a hair style fails, figure out what went wrong and then think of ways to prefect it. If you find a great style, think of ways to change it up a bit, this way you won't get burnt out on the same style.

justgottomakeit said:
hello,

I dont think i even remeber when my last relaxer was so i would say i am trasitioning for about 3 months. Man!!!! its hell. I just want to know how in the hell can i wear cute down styles that will hid my new growth well enough. I ve tried bantu knots and i look like i could scare the dead alive:eek: . Or maybe i did them worng :confused: . If i could wear a down style that hides i think i can make it.

Have you considered lightly flatironing the roots or blowing them out with a blowdryer? Depending on your texture, you can actually get your roots pretty straight with a curling iron. Oh! make sure you stay away from products with water in them once you straighten.

Stay tuned..I'm going to be putting some straighten techniques in my albums..

justgottomakeit said:
hello,

Have you tried braidouts? Check out~~> motowngirl.com for more styling options.

kitchen_tician said:
I don't think I've ever posted in this thread, but I just wanted to make sure I was included on the official Transitioners Thread amongst you lovely ladies. :D

I'm approaching 8 months and so far so good. Currently I'm on a rollersetting mission until May 2006. I normally don't set goals, but I figured this may be a good start. I still don't have any plans for the BC, so I'll be a transitioner for the next few YEARS. :lol:

Congrats on all of your progress ladies! Hang in there! :D

Your hair grows so fast!!!

Just checking in... I'm only about 2.5 months into my transition, so I haven't had any big changes yet, and I've done this twice before so I think I'm pretty prepared. This time I really want to stick it out though, no turning back. I'm hoping not to chop at all, because my goal (other than being natural) is to have Long (BSL) hair!

angellazette said:
I'm getting more anxious to chop!

Oh, I remember that feeling. The more new growth I got, the more I wanted to chop. I wanted to get rid of the relaxed ends so badly, but I also wanted to reach my 18 month transitioning goal. Believe me, if I didn't like wearing my hair back in a ponytail/bun so much, I would have chopped much sooner.

I am pass the transitioners stage but wanted to cheer you ladies on. It's a blessing to have such a supportive board for naturals.

Hey :wave: I'm checking in too!

I am 4 months/16 weeks post relaxer exactly on Christmas Day! I am so proud of myself for getting myself so far, there is no turning back now. I have about 1.75" of newgrowth, but not all over. I know, my hair grows sooooooooo slowly. The 1.75" in mainly in the front and the middle crown area. My bad areas are STILL my right side and my kitchen area.

I'm not sure of my hair type...I will have to go check out naturallycurly2.com (or whatever the website is) to see...but my newgrowth is SO managable. I don't know if this is because of the MTG, but I have only been using it for a week...my newgrowth was soft and managable before this though. Also, I don't have much 'wave, curl pattern'...My newgrowth in the back is just THERE. There is no definition to it whatsoever. I wonder if this is scab hair...?!?

Anyway, I did a mini chop on the right side and my nape because it wasn't worth trying to be cute with those straggly strings of hair. So my nape is all natural and my right side is just a hot mess but you can't tell because I wear my hair in a rollerset so it's disguised. Today I trimmed my split ends.

I would like to get close to an inch of new growth per month. My goal is to chop around the time school starts so I can go with a new look in August 2006. I just started using MTG every other day so it's too early to tell if it's working. I plan to use it until August 2006, then, I will let my hair grow (slowly) on it's own without any help. I think I am going to buy Surge again. I used it inconsistently once before and don't remember if I got growth or not, so I guess it's worth another try. I'm not one big on vitamins so I think I will do MTG and Surge for at least the next 6 months. I wish I had a digital camera to take pictures for you all...

Happy Holidays, be safe, happy hair growing and God bless you all!

After having these kinky twists, I'm interested in other braided/twisted hairstyles with or without extensions...besides micros. Anyone have any pictures, suggestions??

:D

Helllo..I'm checking in too. I am 6 months on next Monday the 2nd of January. I tell you, this journey is getting a little more difficult. It seems as when I wash my hair, it has been coming out in small knots. This has been happening for about 3 weeks now. I haven't been doing anything different so I guess it's part of the transitioning.

I am also having trouble making my new growth shine, it looks very very dull and dry. I moisturize it with ORS, but still no shine. I supposed this is scab hair as well.

My texture is strange. It's really wavy in the nape area and midcrown, but is 4 d,e,f,g, in the front temples and difficult to manage. I bought some IC pomade and Gel to make it lay down but it made me look as if I had dandruff(sp)

Anyway, enough about me..I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy transitioning!

MzTami said:
Helllo..I'm checking in too. I am 6 months on next Monday the 2nd of January. I tell you, this journey is getting a little more difficult. It seems as when I wash my hair, it has been coming out in small knots. This has been happening for about 3 weeks now. I haven't been doing anything different so I guess it's part of the transitioning.

I am also having trouble making my new growth shine, it looks very very dull and dry. I moisturize it with ORS, but still no shine. I supposed this is scab hair as well.

My texture is strange. It's really wavy in the nape area and midcrown, but is 4 d,e,f,g, in the front temples and difficult to manage. I bought some IC pomade and Gel to make it lay down but it made me look as if I had dandruff(sp)

Anyway, enough about me..I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy transitioning!

MzTami,

Try using a denman d3 brush to set your hair. I use this brush on small sections then braid it up. My hair dries shiny and wavy. I still haven't figured out how to get my front edges to act right. They are definitely the coarsest, toughest part of my hair.

MzTami said:
Thank you Caligirl..I definately have to get one of those brushes. What are you using for moisture?

For moisture, I mist my hair with water then rub in some Kenra Moisturing Conditioner. I also use Wanakee Oil for the Hair which I love. It feels and smells just like the oils that your scalp naturally produces.

Still transitioning. Tomorrow marks the start of week my 47th week transitioning. I will be doing the BC sometime in the next few months (hopefully March).

Back