Tithes...my own personal revelation & study…

Hi goldie,

Good points, but I'd think if one tithes today, that Matthew 23:23 still applies. I'll go even further back than that, to Genesis when God rejected Cain's offerings:

". . . And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground. And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.

"And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering: But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
" (Genesis 4:2-5, KJV)

This Scripture is where we can understand that God can reject or be displeased with our offerings based on our attitude or position with him because he knows our hearts:

"So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." (1Corinthians 9:7)

If I don't have it to give, it's one thing. But it's another, if God speaks to my heart to give that $20 in today's offering and I pull out the $1 instead. And then he may not tug at my heart at all, but I'll give it anyway. Same with any practical situation. It's personal conviction.

@ your bolded, I agree that we don't always have to agree. That's why everyone can't go to the same church... :laugh: It's good to see how others apply God's Word and principles to their lives and get different perspectives. God deals with us individually.

Good Morning CoilyFields,

Also, when Christ was speaking in Matthew 23:23 he was talking to a Pharisee who is a Jew and was therefore under the law of tithing. To relate that to us is inaccurate. I don't claim to have read to whole Bible from cover to cover, but I don't recall tithing being mentioned after the 4 gospels. I only recall giving cheerfully.

Leala,

I'm with you on this response only in relation to giving and not tithing.

I'm starting to understand this more. What I've learned about tithing is that it's something I give BACK to God from my blessing. I don't tithe because I want to be blessed. I am blessed, so I tithe.

I guess this is another topic where most of us agree on the fundamentals- people and the church should be supported by giving BUT we don't agree on how to do it- giving vs. tithing.

Great thread! Hopefully some others will share their understanding of this very important spiritual law as well. Here's what I have learned after time spent studying and praying about this spirtual law.
1. It is a spiritual law like sowing and reaping. Appying this law will benefit anyone but none believers will not enjoy the benefits to the full extent.
2. The tithe should come off the gross not the net amount. To do so is to give God seconds not 1st dibbs. Imagine cutting a whole pie into pieces, God should get the first slice period. The government does not tax you off of your net. They get their's upfront w/o our permssion. God should get his up front also before you touch anything.
3.You can only tithe from what you have. Your tenth may not be my tenth. God knows what he has allowed you to have. Take 10% of that.
4. The churches who post member's personal info for all to see are not walking in agape love. God does not put you on 'front street' (not without giving you multiple chances and warnings- and I've never seen it done in a tithing situation).
5. Giving to other people is giving/gifting. Tithing is sacred and belongs only to God. The priest (local pastor) is supposed to be following God's instructions and using all of the tithes to bless those in need and to meet his needs(Yes, so they could eat back in the day. Now-a-days most of us are not worried about what we will eat as in an 'eat or die' scenario so it may be the church helping in areas like medical needs, electricity, shelter, etc)and he (the pastor) blesses you for being obedient in your giving. Our pastors are the equivalent to Levite priests. God does everything decent and in order. He chooses to speak to us through our pastors primarily. Of course he speaks to us personally as well if we choose to listen but primarily through our pastors.
6. The tithe must be given cheerfully. If not keep it to yourself.

God is not trying to take anything from us. It all belongs to him anyway. All we are doing is stewarding/ managing his money. If you decide not to tithe, that will not doom you to hell. You will not be promoted in some areas. You will not enjoy some of what God wishes to bestow upon you in this life. I want to keep going to higher levels in my relationship with God. I want whatever he has in mind for me. This next one took a while to sink in for me... if you are not tithing or are making excuses about whether to tithe off gross vs. net, you have a heart issue. You are not trusting God fully in this area. There is something you are afraid of not being able to take care of financially. Fear in any shape or form does not come from God. Maybe you have dug yourself into a debt hole. Maybe you love the stuff you're doing with your money more than you love God but whatever it is the root is a heart/trust issue. Selah. Some will reject that. Some are not ready to let go and trust God in that area. It may take a while. Pray about it. Really seek God to see if what I have said here line's up with his word. If I'm wrong, you have given 'extra' income to God. Since it's not ours anyway and we can't out give him where's the harm in that? I have personally seen this law at work in my life. Wonderful post Netta1!!

Lev 27:30
30 " 'A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the LORD.

Mal 3:10
10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

Psa 50:10
10 for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills.

Matt.6:21
21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

If you’re not sure where your heart is look at your check book. It’s usually a good place to start.

Read the parable of the talents.

Remember what Jesus said to Pontious Pilot. All authority belongs to him. He gives us a share of power and he will ask us to give an account of what we did.

How we leveraged our power. If it was used to further the kingdom’s agenda and usher in the time of Christ’s return.

I wish you wholeness,

Prudent1

21----For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. :yep:

:amen:

Hello all,

Alright, let me preface this response with a little history. I do not tithe and I grew up in a church which did not promote tithing. All members paid yearly dues. Whenever there was someone in need or the church needed repairs, the deacons and members met, assessed the situation and people gave what was needed. Granted, it is a small church.

When I started attending other churches, I didn't even consider tithing because I didn't grow up doing it. It wasn't an issue until I started helping out at church and someone mentioned it. When I said I didn't, I noticed I became a sort of outcast. Sad but true. At that point, I started researching what a tithe was and I've come to the conclusion it isn't nessesary. Here's why.

My first question was- What is a tithe? This is what I found...
Leviticus 27:30

A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord.

Another scripture that I found is in Deuteronomy 12:17. It reads...

You must be careful not to eat in your own towns the tithe of your grain and new wine and oil, or whatever you have vowed to give, or your freewill offering or special gifts. Instead you are to eat them in the presence of the Lord your God at the place the Lord your God will choose- you, your sons, your daughters, your menservants and maidservants, and the Levites from your towns- you are to rejoice before the Lord your God in everything you put your hand to. Be careful not to neglect the Levites as long as you live in your land.

So from that, I figured the tithe was food. So anyone who was a farmer of any sort had to give a tithe of what was produced. My next question was- Who did they give it to? The last scripture answers that as well as this one...

Numbers 18:21 reads-

I give to the Levites all the tithes in Isreal as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the Tent of Meeting.

Ok, so the tithes were food given to the tribe of Levi or Levites who were in charge of caring for the temple. Since Levites were not allowed to work or inherit, they needed to be supported. Then it makes sense that the tithe would be food to feed them.

Now, this left me wondering about that scripture in Malachi. After the questions in verses7 & 8, it says...

"In tithes and offerings. You are under a curse- the whole nation of you because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe to the storehouse, that there may be food in my house...

Ok, so here's the reference to food again... How did a tenth- and not the first tenth- of food turn into this rule that applies to a tenth of a person's income? The only reference I found that links tithing and money deals with those who had to travel a long distance and needed to bring money instead of food to the Levites at the temple. Also the curse referred to in this scripture deals with the curses laid out in Deuteronomy 28. From my understanding, those curses were fulfilled during the inter-testament time. That is the time between the end of the OT and the beginning of the NT. I was told it was about 400 years. Don't quote me on that. I'm still studying.

When I discuss this with other's, I've always been told that there were 3 types of tithes and they are connected to the OT holy days, but from what I read, the tithes were all food which was to be eaten by Levites and the community during the feasts. They usually try to say that one of the tithes applies to everyone's incomes even if they weren't farmers. I haven't found that scripture.

Also, I was taught that Christ was our high priest, thus negating the need for "feeding" the Levitical priesthood. I can't find the scripture, but I know it's in the NT.

Maybe I'm too literal, but I have yet to make the connection that tithing equals money or that it even applies to us. Yes, churches and clergy need financial support. That's to be expected, but at what point did tithing food turn into tithing all income to all churches? I know the early believers collected an offering in Acts and that's completely acceptable, but I've always felt that if a tithe was collected then they would have mentioned that an offering and tithe was collected. I'm seriously not trying to be sarcastic. If God considered it important enough in the OT to talk about tithing as much as He did, wouldn't he do the same in the NT when He inspired scripture on giving?

My other issue is the limit of 10%. Everything I have already belongs to God. If someone needs something, I give it if I'm able. No questions asked. To God be the glory. This isn't limited to money. Time, services- whatever. I remember cleaning homes of older members when I was a child or running errands for a new mother. Another time, one of the members of our church needed surgery and didn't have enough to cover the cost. The church had a meeting, split the cost and paid for it at the end of the week. No checking financial records or attendance. Those experiences shape my concept of giving and after seeing the conflict tithing causes with some, I'm greatful I don't have that issue.

For a short while I was stressing myself out about not tithing and I came across this scripture in 2 Corinthians 9:7. It reads...

Each man should give what he has decided to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, For God loves a cheerful giver.

That's what I do with my giving. I honestly can't tell you what percent of my income it is because I don't calculate it. I also don't fill out those church envelopes. I don't want what I give to be known by anyone.

I'm not trying to change the direction of the thread at all. I tend to analyze things quite a bit, but I just wanted to add to the conversation. Be blessed.

You have summed up what I have learned recently..... I don't feel anymore pressure to tithe but I do know that i want to give more.

Interesting discussion. I've always understood tithe to be giving back to God ten percent of our income. As Coily pointed out, wealth was defined by livestock and grains in the past so ten percent of those were given to the Lord. Things really can get tight sometimes but remember...

Luke 12:22-32

22And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.

23The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.

24Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?

25And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit?

26If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?

27Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

28If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?

29And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.

30For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.

31But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.

32Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

^^^^^^Yeah me too, it has been a great thread.

My thanks to those who shared their convictions/thoughts/revelations.

Back