This is for the shorties 5'4 and under (other opinions welcomed also)

Is long hair overpowering on short women?

• Yes it is.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • No it's not.

Votes: 86 68.3%
  • Other/explain.

Votes: 20 15.9%

• Total voters
I voted other because I've seen some short women with long hair who resembled Cousin It and I've seen some who look nice with long hair. I'm 5'21/2" and I'm aiming for waist length. One of my friends is shorter than me and her hair is tailbone length. It's gorgeous and it doesn't overwhelm her. I agree with whoever said to to try on a wig to see how you'd look with longer hair.

welll im a lil shortie du dropp im 5'2 and i want hair to my hips i think the longer the hair the better no matter the size or shape the person is all that matters is if they can pull it offf...and believe me i know i can pull it off:grin:

it depends on her stature. long hair looks nice on jada pinkett smith. im 5 feet even and i think mbl would look nice on me. there is a lady i work with who is about 2 inches taller than me with butt legnth hair and i think it overpowers her because she is chubby and her hair is frizzy wavy so it looks unkept even though i know she takes care of it.

I am 5'4". I want WL hair as well. I don't think it is overpowering for shorter women. Had I not mini chopped, I would be at the goal. But, now my focus is on growing healthy, long, natural hair.

I don't think your height matters. I'm 5'3 and think I could pull off any length I choose as long as it looked healthy and thick.

I'm 4'11 and my hair is waist length and at times I think it may overpower me but I love my long hair.

yeah it does over power short women, I read it in a book on how to dress for your height and size...and they said short women shouldn't have really long hair or a big bag.....or wear capris..but i want my hair to grow to my butt...so I don't care, I'm natural anyway so it will shrink up...

yeah it does over power short women, I read it in a book on how to dress for your height and size...and they said short women shouldn't have really long hair or a big bag.....or wear capris..but i want my hair to grow to my butt...so I don't care, I'm natural anyway so it will shrink up...

I'm 5'1 and i do all of the above! lol. I LOVE big bags. But that's another thread lol.

I can see how it would make sense that it would over power short women....but then again whenever i see a short woman with long hair, i really don't think anything of it and don't notice whether or not she's over powered. I've seen some women with such THICK long hair that it was overpowering, but that was on both short and tall women.

Like others have said .....WHEN I get to that point, then I will decide.

I'm like 5'0 barefoot and I think midback is the longest I want to go. Not sure about the overpowering thing but I think waistlength will be too much to deal with. If I were to get to waist length (you know how greedy we get once we reach our goal, we always want to keep working towards longer hair) I probably wouldn't wear it down much anyways.

I'm 5'2" and I am going for BSL or Mid back. I think WL would be too much hair for me to manage in my like. I agree with LaurenDoll, give weave a try to see how it works on you.

I'm 5'4' and i will be happy with hair a little bit below bsl. i don't want my hair too long unless i start wearing heels again.

I believe long hair can be overwhelming on anyone regardless of height if they allow themselves to be overwhelmed by it. You have to own it and not let it own you.

Hmm :scratchch I have a short torso also, so this is definitely food for thought. My goal is WL hair, but I guess I'll start judging how it looks once I hit BSL (my hair is blunt too btw). I remember on Tyra's show she said that your should not exceed more than a third of your body, so if you're 5'0 (which is 60 inches) then your hair should not exceed 20 inches.

Who are these people thatcome up with these rules for everybody else?!?! It's your thang...do what you want to do. :lachen:

I am 5'1 and I hope to grow waist length hair. I don't think it would be overwhelming. Back in the day in my early twenties I used to rock waist length weaves and I loved it! I would say if you want to know how you would look, wear a weave or a wig to see!

I've short, 4'11" and a short torso. I have huge hair.

is it overpowering? probably.

attention getting? you bet!

and i love it! :giggle:

Last edited:
I am 5 feet tall, ok really 4 ft. 11. I like long hair and my other half says he prefers long hair. Right now I'm wearing a shorter bob wig, but I will be moving over to long when I find one that he/we like. Hah.

I'm barely 5'0 and my goal is....well, however long it can grow! I think it all depends on they style of the hair, not so much the length.

I know this woman who is not much talller than me but had HL hair. It was gorgeous. She just cut it to about SL and it's still gorgeous.

I think you have to control the hair, don't let it control you. I personally do not want my hair to be anything past WL and I think that may be pushing it, but I won't know until I get there! MBL is my real goal though.

I'm 5'4 and long hair looks good on me. Then again I wear my hair, it doesn't wear me. I am going for WL. If long hair is wrong I don't wanna be right.

I'm 5'1" and I put yes because I think that long hair (as in waistlength and below) could be overpowering on someone who's petite. But I agree with everyone else that body shape has a lot to do with it. Also, I think how thick your hair is can be a factor. My hair is really fine, so I think it goes with my petite frame. But regardless I'm growing my hair anyways.

I'm 5'0 and I currently have shoulder length hair...but my goal is BSL. But once I get to BSL I am content :)

I'm 5'4" and my ultimate goal is HL (hip length). I prefer "big" hair and rarely wear my hair straight, so I figure with shrinkage, my ends will reach about MBL. I think straight HL might be a little much for me, but we'll see....

ITA...I love big hair too so WL with shrinkage will hopefully look MBL or BSL.

I am 5"4 with a long torso, and I wear heels often, so I can definitely handle it. My next goal is MBL...and I am not deterred.

Im 4'11 and shooting for WL... The way I tested to see if WL would look good on me was getting a sew-in. It was a wavy one but it was soo cute.. I got tons of compliments...

WL hair covered up things about me that I tried to hide often, (my big arms and when I am bloated) everyone is too focused on the hair to notice anything else...

I think you would look gorgeous with WL hair :yep:

Back