Ok Ladies, this one is for the "Big Girls".....

Silkilocks, you're beautiful, love yourself. I have a plus-size daughter, and she's one of the most beautiful person I know, inside and out. Weight has never been an issue in our household and I'm proud to say that, as far as I can see, she has no problems with her size. Her hair is long, waist-length when straightened, and as she grows up I hope she keeps it that way. There as absolutely nothing I want to change about her, her dad feels the same way, and if society has a problem with her size, that's their problem. I hope that in the future society will look past size, and see a person for what they really are. I love all sizes, the world would be such a boring place is everyone was a size 2.

size 18 height 5'4 a lot of people say I look nice with short hair, that was nice of them to say. But I like my hair for me short or long if I had to worry about what other people felt about me I would be very tired. People will talk regardless of what it is I always say let them talk only means they notice you..that's a good thing.

Hi Ladies,

First let me start off by saying that I am a plus-sized woman, I'm 5"8" and a size 24 The reason for this post is to find out if there are anymore plus sized ladies who share some of the same feelings as I do.

1. Do you ever feel self-conscience about posting pics on here in your bra or tank top?
2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller?
3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller.
4 Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger?

If any of these questions apply to you, please explain your answer. Thanks Ladies:yep:

Wow!!! Sis - Thanks for Sharing!

I must say - that I have never been a 'small' girl.... But Since I have been on my hair journey - I have been working toward a healthier lifestyle. That - in Turn has helped me to go from Size 18 - to size 14...
Next year - my goal is to be back at size 10... or 150 lbs.... I got 50 pounds to Go!

To Answer your Questions............
1. Do you ever feel self-conscience about posting pics on here in your bra or tank top?
Sometimes - yes...most times no - I am focused on my hair most times though.........

2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller?

BSL is different for everyone IMO... I have seen so many BSL ladies... My BSL might be different based on my Bra :yep:.....

3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller.

Maybe - But - I am grateful for every inch of progress..

4 Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger?

No - I have never heard that. One of my friends Believes in Big hair for big girls...but I don't think that...

HTH!!!!

so i've read the whole of this thread and i'm AMAZED that people would actually comment on people's appearances on a hair forum....

the only thing that concerns me is HAIR HAIR HAIR....i think i've said this before on another thread.......

i wish i could give all ladies on this board assuracne that no one should worry about how they look when posting pictures but alas that is not so..........

there will always be nasty people out there and my assurance would not hold true for all....

its sad but thats reality.......

all said i think at the end of the day most are here for healthy hair.....and that we certainly will have....no matter what others think.....

happy hair growing everyone :yep:

1. Do you ever feel self-conscience about posting pics on here in your bra or tank top? Yup, I have a progress T for that

2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller? Not really

3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller. Yes, because I have to add some inches for the underarm flab. I'm a gonna cheat and find that bone in there.

4 Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger? Never heard that, besides I need the long hair to cover up my neck fat. Just kidding, I don't have neck fat. I've always been biig and have always received compliments on my "long" hair.

Oh Lawd you asked the wrong big girl.

I have always thought plus size was sexy. My mom, sister, aunts and friends have always been plus sized pushers with attitude.

Nothing personal with this statement, but I've said, when I see a slim woman put together, I give her - her props - but I feel it comes natural. When you're slim you can walk into any store, boutique or thrift shop and find anything and look great!! Slim women can actually do a ponytail and sweats and look fabulous.

HOWEVER, when I see a plus size woman working it head to toe I "know" what it took to get there so I have to give her - her props X 2. :yep: You had to labor to find that outfit, right shoes, accessories and top it off with some swangin hair.

So, to that end:

Nope and double nope. Girl I'm more concerned about folks commenting on my thin ends or raged purple bra than my fat arms, back or sides :lachen:

BSL and MBL are kind of close on me only because my fat stretches the bra out and down, so I've added some cushion (excuse the pun) to where MBL would normally appear.

Yes. As JustKiya stated...more mileage to cover.

Hadnt heard that one.

There you have my story, so look forward to more of my fat-chronicles :lachen:

edit: Currently a loose (and we know what that means) size 18 and never want to be smaller than a solid 16.

Last edited:
I'm a size 18/20 5'1(yes im a shorty lol):look:
your hair is very pretty:yep:

1. Do you ever feel self-conscience about posting pics on here in your bra or tank top? Yes sometimes

2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller? imo no

3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller. I think so

4 Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger? No I was never told that

I think I put Bombshell Beauties on the Map, Seriously, I work it, Hence the Name. Slim & Straight ladies can't hang with the curves that we got, especially when they are all in the right place. I made my size 5,7,9 friends ill, they hated to see me coming and they said so...In all seriousness, I've gotten so many compliments my entire life regarding my shape, my style, my hair...I have been told that i make plus size look good. I always want to keep my "bam" curves, it's my trademark...

I feel guilty, though that my neices are so large at such a young age, they tell me i influenced them because i am so pretty and soo fashionable, they emulate me...but, i wasn't that heavy when i was young, and i think they are getting too big too fast, you know?

On the otherhand, I've always felt people think i'd look drop dead unfreakin believable if i were smaller, i think people feel safer with me this way...as soon as i drop some pounds, men and women swoon...the attention is almost crazy, but i roll with it, take it in stride.

^^^It~Can~Grow mentioned givin voluptuous honies triple props for their head to toe fashion blitz is oh so right, i mean, my sister lost weight, she's now a size 5, and she buys hawt clothes from thrift stores for like 5 bucks a bag, she's always rockin' it...i mean she was always a fashionista, like me, an OG, but now it's like off the chain, she's got sooo much to choose from it's insane. I suck my teeth at her...

But anyhoo, with that being said, I've only been self-conscious about posting my hair pics, because i've been through alot of hairloss and i'm on the rebound. My hair was my ultimate fashion accessory, it was the icing on the cake, literally. Not so self-conscious about size, but definitely about the hair. The women are hella-vicious on here...

^^^Geez, did i post all that?^^^Okay, back to the q's....sorry i went off on a tangent....

1. Do you ever feel self-conscience about posting pics on here in your bra or tank top? A wee bit, bcs, I've picked up some weight, i just wanted to look cute, honey, that's all....:lachen:

2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller?Naaa, that looks different on everyone, all the hairlengths do.:ohwell:

3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller. Never considered it. I think hair looks thicker on big 'ole heads, whether the bodies are large or small...:look:

4 Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger? No, but I sometimes feel the length/thickness of hair helps balance the body out. I have a cuz who has a gorgeous figure, she's about a 24, nothin' but hips, and her top is about a 10...now, i've told her for years to grow her blond hair longer...she refuses. (she finally admitted it won't grow, i believe it's the years of bleach and bone-straight relaxers :perplexed) I believe it will balance her body out bcs she's got a small head and small hair and a big big bottom...that's just my opinion.

i luv big hair, i'm from texas by way of frenchtown, and i just can't stand little hair...maybe it's the attention, i don't know,(it's because i think thin, scraggly hair makes the wearer look sick and unhealthy) but if you're gonna wear it out, wear it BiG, darn it! Even my bsl, straight, center parted hair had some volume to it, Everything's bigger in Texas, baby~

Last edited:
You and your hair are gorgeous. Please post more pics, especially of your braid outs! Simply amazing!:yep:

Girl!!! In most of my pics Im naked:lachen: TMI Sorry... I love the way I look. Try it ya just might like it :yep:

2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller? Havent reach that length with my own hair yet, cant wait though.

3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller?
Nope I looked good with my BSL Weave and I looked good when I BC'd last year. Plus it depends on how big of a head a person has not body, lol. Big Girls wear hair well just like smaller ones do.

4 Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger? No I have never heard that. I used to always get that I should wear my hair away from my face because it brings out my features. But since I have BIG ears and a HUGE forehead I always wanted to cover them. Im older now and I embrace both my ears and forehead.

And I agree with the other ladies, YOU and Your hair are gorgeous

I've never known skinny, so I've heard all types of stuff regarding big girls.

You will not see me on here in a bra. :nono: I don't think I would do that even if I were a size 6. (I say that now, but if I got down to a non-plus size, I mght be on here nekkid! :grin:. I'm just kidding...maybe.)

When I had relaxed hair I kept it VERY short. If it got to the top of my ear, that was "long." My hairdresser was sick once, and a substitute did my hair. He actually made the comment that most plus size ladies did not look good with short hair, but I carried it off. I think it's about how your hair fits you. My hair dresser did a good job of making my styles fit me.

The first time I wore my non-relaxed hair in a style that didn't require pressing, I was extremely self-concious about my hair being short even though it was longer than it had been when relaxed. I wasn't concerned so much about my body size as much as my face and head. (I have a round face and big ol' head.) The TWA didn't look good on me, and no one saw it but me. I have a medium 'fro right now and can't wait to acheive the BAA. I have enough insecurities as it is to worry about if someone thinks I shouldn't have long hair because I'm plus-sized. If anyone has a problem he/she can kiss my.....and there is a lot of it to kiss. :grin:

:grin:
Hi Ladies,

First let me start off by saying that I am a plus-sized woman, I'm 5"8" and a size 24 The reason for this post is to find out if there are anymore plus sized ladies who share some of the same feelings as I do.

If any of these questions apply to you, please explain your answer. Thanks Ladies:yep:

I am not a "big girl" but your hair is just soo pretty and healthy...your weight on this forum should not matter is all about hair...

having that said...I think long hair suits big girls better...IMO..HHG

1. Do you ever feel self-conscience about posting pics on here in your bra or tank top? Now I do since my hair has reached the point where all my rolls are! I took bra pics until I reached BSL, but DH told me to stop posting pics with just my bra so I did. My old ones are all locked in my fotki and I will take tank top pics from now on.

2. Do you feel that BSL and beyond on you does not look the same as BSL on someone much smaller? Not necessarily.

3. Do you feel that your hair would look longer at any length if you were smaller? Yeah I do. I would probably be knocking on WL if I didn't have to grow an extra 3 inches to get over this extra roll that's right above my waist. BTW, I'm 5'8", size 14.

4. Has anyone ever told you that "Big Girls" look better with short hair or long hair makes you look bigger? No never heard that. Just been told different cuts and styles flatter different face shapes and sizes.

Just know the only person you have to please is yourself...you'll never fit anyone's standard of how they perceive you should be. I too think your hair is lovely!

Girl, I feel you......everyone is beautiful in their own way....it's different when you are big and sexy than being big and ruff looking, same goes for slim ladies......but anyways, I love your hair and you are beautiful.........but to answer your questions......I'm a plus woman, but I have to get back on track, I want to be a size 16, I think a size 16 is healthy for my bone structure.....i'm 22, it's ok, but I would prefer a 16(starting to work out asap) anyways......

1) Yes I have, but I don't understand why post pics in your bra anyway, I mean I don't understand. I would wear a t-shirt.....even if I was a size 2, I wouldn't post a hair pic in my bra because I don't understand what's the difference between posting a pic in your bra instead of posting a pic in a white t-shirt!? (confused look).

2) I think bsl looks good on anybody.

3) Yes if I was smaller, I'm sure it would be longer, but being short, I don't think their would be a difference.

4) I have never heard that from anyone, but IMO, sometimes having long hair in general can make a person look older, have you ever seen people(men and women) with long hair like pass midback...look ten years older than their age and when they cut their hair....they look ten years younger......IMO, I think I look good period(lol), but long hair on me would be better looking, I love long hair in general no matter what size you are......and one lady is right, why would anyone care about back fat, etc on a hair forum? I mean plus size women can grow hair just like any other size, it's like being plus size is being a race or something.......but I feel ya girl.

Hi Ladies,

Im super small and I wouldnt dare show a bra stap pic. What does that say?

:lachen:

Silkii: I say this in the most loving way humanly possibly. Shut up, you crazy girl! You don't need to feel self-conscious at all because you are you! ***** people can snap pics all day and post them on the moon, why should you feel self-conscious about some back fat!:lachen:

Shoot! You don't see me losin' my mind off the 40˚ curve in my spine, do ya?:lachen: I'm crooked, so what!:lachen:
Thank you.

Folks love to show all their breasteses and butt crack to say they are shoulder length so if any plus sized lady here wants to do a bra pic I say go ahead.

I consider myself a bigger girl than most, not a big girl but I'm not skinny and I think I'm pass the thick stage, but I think long hair compliments me more than short hair.

1. Short hair makes me self conscious about the face fat I have, but yet I have short hair.

2. Long hair with volume is what I think makes me look good. When my hair was long and relaxed and it had no body it kind of made my face look fat because it was so straight. But I am self conscious about doing the length check in my tank or bra, matter of fact I will not be doing those until I lose some weight. :(

Back