Thinking of cheating on my boyfriend...

Pumpkin

Yes ladies I have been thinking of cheating on Marvin and finding a new stylist
frown.gif
I have several reasons for this:
1) His prices are toooooo high for me ($104 for a touch-up)
2) He does not do the entire process
3) Two weeks after my relaxer and my hairline looks like I need a touch up
4) The left side of my hairline is still giving me problems and when I tell him about it, he says there's nothing wrong with it...but I know my hair
5) I don't think Mizani is the greatest relaxer for my hair because it makes my hair limp

I will consider ANY stylist in the NYC area, preferably Manhattan or Brooklyn. I know I said Marvin is expensive but this is because his assistant does most of the work. Is there any stylist that does ALL of the work and does a real deep condition and not the "I am going to put a little something, rub it for two seconds and rinse it out" thing.

BRH I am seriously considering your lady. If you don't mind I would love to accompany you on your next relaxer so I can get a feel for what she does. That would give me an excuse for lurking around and watching her work without paying for anything.

Here are my options so far:
BRH's stylist
Yolette
Dennis @ Gerard Dure

Any more would be greatly appreciated.

I am just really terrified of having people relax my hair. I have these images of grave disasters and bald patches embedded in my brain
shocked.gif
. HELP
confused.gif
frown.gif

Ok.. First fo all I think that you should do what is best for your hair. It sounds like your current stylist is not to in sync with your goals. You wouldn't really be cheating. You'd be .. expanding your opportunities, reaching farther for the greater good of your hair.. which by the way. is yours for life. Let us know how it goes.

Kisha

Hi!

I moved to NYC about 6 months ago and I searched and searched for a stylist for 3 months. I finally found a great stylist on West 72nd and Columbus. Her name is Marcia and she works at LaVair Hair Designs.

A retouch is $70.00, wash, condition (and a good condition at that!), and flat iron is $40.00.

LaVar Hair designs is world famous. The owner specializes in weaves and braids. But thier other services like cellophanes, trims, blow dry/wash, sets, are superb. Also, the atmosphere is great. Going to Marcia has been a blessing for my hair!

[ QUOTE ]
Hi!

I moved to NYC about 6 months ago and I searched and searched for a stylist for 3 months. I finally found a great stylist on West 72nd and Columbus. Her name is Marcia and she works at LaVair Hair Designs.

A retouch is $70.00, wash, condition (and a good condition at that!), and flat iron is $40.00.

LaVar Hair designs is world famous. The owner specializes in weaves and braids. But thier other services like cellophanes, trims, blow dry/wash, sets, are superb. Also, the atmosphere is great. Going to Marcia has been a blessing for my hair!

[/ QUOTE ]

atate and Pumpkin----if I'm not mistaken---Marcia from LeVar's IS BRH"S stylist.

Can't wait for BRH to com eon and confirm......

LMAO @ Pumpkin cheating on Marvin.........
shocked.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hi!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well well well. A fellow board member who also sees Marcia!!!! Cool!!!
grin.gif

Yes, this my stylist. My one and only
kiss.gif
She's always done a consistantly good job on me. I've been saying this for a long while now. I don't know what the trick is, but her deep conditioning leaves your hair soooo super glass like. Love this place to bits.

The salon does specialize in weaves but so friggin' expensive?!!
laugh.gif
I just watch from a distance if I catch a woman (or well known face) walk by (salon has closed off booths so you can't see the customers in there).

Pumpkin and Jazzy, if only we had this conversation last week. I just had my touch up last Wednesday. I'm going back in 8 weeks which'll be around mid July. You are more than welcome to come with if you wish.

Pumpkin, I say don't cheat...Leave..LOL

Cecelia sounds really good, I hope that you go with BRH or before then the next time..

All I know is (and my husband agrees with this), if I'm paying somebody $104 to touch up a little bit of new growth, he better be doing something else to me to make up for the other $40....OH-KAAAAY!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
All I know is (and my husband agrees with this), if I'm paying somebody $104 to touch up a little bit of new growth, he better be doing something else to me to make up for the other $40....OH-KAAAAY!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
God bless you all.

BRH, Atate - Do you believe Marcia has aided your hair growth? Is it crowded? Do you need an appt? stop me before I explode.. LOL. Also, do they have affirm sensitive scalp?

YES, I believe that she has aided in my hair growth. She always deep conditions, she is always gentle with my hair and I love her trims. She often gives me tips about hair care and products to buy. And she is a very nice person. You don't feel like she is going to try to cut all your hair off or half-ass condition or style it because she is running late somewhere or whatever the case may be.

If you want to try her out I suggest you tag along with one of her customers to see if you like what she does. Or even better call and make an appt. I think the shop will be closed all next week or the week after but I know her schedule should be open for June. My appt is the first saturday in June. Hopefully, I will see you there one day!
wink.gif

BTW.. Everytime I went the salon was not that crowded. And I am not sure if they have Affirm for Sensitve Scalp. But I don't see why the wouldn't.

I'm tempted to call or see Marcia for a wash, blowdry and curl (would the conditioner be separate if I got this?). Does she listen well? I have concerns for the left side of my head. It frizzes up and dries out faster than the right and I would like her advice on it.

man, an american stylist here in germany charges €120 (about 120 US dollars) for a touch up and deep condition!she used motions lye, i am 4b and now i understand, i feel affirm nolye i was used to was more superior. next time i will buy affirm lye instead and stick to it.

when i asked about the trim she said an extra €25!!!
now i was at 18 weeks so i had no choice but to relax but i told her i would do the trim when i came back for a wash and set...yeah right!

Yes, she was is a great listener. I have concerns with certain broken off parts of my hair and I talk to her about it. She suggest things to do and she will point out if it has improved or not.

I am very sure you would like her. I can't offer a money back guarantee or anything. But even if I could, you would not need it!
clap.gif

Carmel.

I do think that she's helped in my hair health in that she doesn't over or under process and conditions very well. She handles the hair well and is very gentle.

Jazzy, I think she would address the side of your hair that your talking about. She's a good listener.

I don't know about the specific Affirm relaxer mentioned. You'd have to call and see if they use it. Yes, you do need to make an appointment to see her.

Its never busy when I'm there and its only her that does me from start to end.

wow this is so great. i am considering switching my stylist and finding someone who will listen to me and be gentle. so the extra money now doesnt seem so much to me.

I love coming to this board for all the support and the great advice. and even though i have been living here all my life i have had some bad experiences with stylist who feel like they know it all and dont listen to you at all. and mistreat your hair. i got a great trim at a stylist suggested by brh. touchups have been something i leery of letting too many people do but i will defintely have to look into this since this stylist seems to be the kind of stylist i havent had which is why i dont always have good salon experiences.
whip.gif
swearing.gif
God bless you all.

[ QUOTE ]
Pumpkin, I say don't cheat...Leave..LOL

[/ QUOTE ]
grin.gif
GOT THAT RITE!!

Y'all know im all for boycotting him! im sorry, slapping on relaxer, ordering u to get a trim, not doing most of the work himself etc, etc.

BOYCOT, BOYCOT, BOYCOT.

Well... I called Marcia and she told me she'd be going OT for a few days starting today ;-( so I have an appt. for a .. get this... consultation on either Tuesday or Wednesday. I was soo surprised when she said that they do not do any chemical services without seeing your hair. I have never heard that before but I'm in love already and I told her just that. Hopefully, all will be fine and she can relax me the following saturday and I can finally get some pics up ;-). Again, thanks for the info ladies.
Atate ~ I'll try and schedule mine for the first saturday in june as well but a sista needs her do done so if she has something sooner im grabbing it...
laugh.gif

THAT's IT! I'm going to Marcia too! I know I raved about Tonyce but I spoke too soon!! My relaxer didn't last and on my fine hair that is UNHEARD of.

Can't wait.. I should go in a about 2 weeks...

wow this is really great. this is like a little community where we share info/stylist/exchange products/lend a helpful ear. suffering from scabs and senstive scalp from a evil stlyist
cry3.gif
i understand the need to not walk out but run out and find someone more effecient. wishing you all who have upcoming appointments much success. God bless you all.

Wow.. I am happy that you were able to talk to her. I seen them do consultations and they are very thorough. The examine your scalp, roots, and hair and let you know what chemical process is best for your hair. The are a class act!

I'll try and call her next week for a consultation. I won't be getting chemicals since I just got one but I need help because I have a sinking feeling that stoopid Cecelia did not cut off all my split ends like I asked her to (and it's a big area that I can feel but not see so she couldn't miss it) and made them even worse with her stinky curling iron (I noticed last time ALL her irons have that burnt spot on it and it was pulling my hair.) Is Marcia (is it Marsee-ah or Mar-sha) good on cuts? I may just get my back shaped up.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow.. I am happy that you were able to talk to her. I seen them do consultations and they are very thorough. The examine your scalp, roots, and hair and let you know what chemical process is best for your hair. The are a class act!

[/ QUOTE ]

See, now that's what I'm talking about.
smile.gif

Her name is spelt Marcia but pronounced Marceea.

I've never seen her do cuts. I remember asking her advice once on wanting a hair cut/style and asked if she could recommend anyone. She actually recc'd another salon that she knew was good at that. (Can't remember where they are now I'd have to ask her again). I've only had her trim me.

I'd def. ask her though. Incidentally, there is another stylist there who is REALLY good. I always forget her name
laugh.gif
Anyway she does superb work. I've seen her in action. Only thing is she's only at the salon sometimes. She's always on movie and TV show shoots. Marcia says that stylist is the only one she trusts do relaxers for her own hair.

I called Marcia and scheduled a consult for next Friday at 6. I am sooooo excited
grin.gif
grin.gif
I wonder what she will say about my hair.

confused.gif

She sounded very attentive and soft-spoken when I spoke to her. What makes me mad is that I was supposed to see her back in December after the Natacia fiasco, but she was booked for three weeks and I needed a touch-up BADLY! So then I scheduled at appt. with Marvin where I have been flusing money in the toilet since.
frown.gif
But I guess better late than never.

ooo you have to tell us how it goes. awww this is so good people are finally finding success with their stylist search. wouldnt it be weird if we all went to the same stylist and like a revolving door when one nyc lhcf member leaves another one comes through the door lol. God bless you all.

Back