Thin/Fine Support Thread

Fine haired, low density natural checking in. Sure wish this was still a sticky, but I've subscribed.:grin:

I have had major setbacks due to my fine strands, especially at the back of my hair where now I have a quasi 'bald spot'.
I have learned a few things.

1) To pre-conditon my hair with water and conditioner(the Wen SAM has been working very well lately) ( and sometimes sunflower oil) for as long as I can, then gently with fingers before detangling in shower.

2) Avoid those metal clips. I noticed I was getting splits further up on the hair strand and realized those metal clips were definitely weaking the shaft causing damage and splits.

3) Using an ayurvedic powder (like Henna/cassia) to strengthen the strand to avoid damage and breakage.....I'm still testing this, I've used cassia 2 days ago and I believe this will be the product that will make a difference, especially on the baby fine strands in the back.

4) Even though I love my length, I must pin up the back of my hair to avoid further damage to the strands, or maybe start to wear a silk/satin scarf around shoulders if I wear my hair down.

5) Continue protein treatments.
6) Continue castor oil.
7) Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

I hope to learn more from you all. Thanks for bumping this thread.:yep:

Alternating my DC's has been working really well for me.
One week moisture: Silk Elements
Next week protein: Aphogee 2 minute, or Motions CPR

Also low manipulation styling seems to be REALLY working for me. My hair loves just being left alone. I style it once a week, and only fluff or pin as needed during the week.

im in yarn twists for 2 months, and I seriously dunno which new regimen I have to adopt for my fine hair..
I can not apply molasses anymore
I can not apply my protein treatment anymore
I can not apply my cassia treatment anymore
so... in need of HELP !!! some ideas? please

Good bump Cocoagirl!

I can't remember where I left off in regards to what else I'm doing, but I have incorporated Wen as a staple. I also drink lots of water and I changed my diet to a raw, plant, seed and nut one. No coffee and no dairy of any kind. That has improved my hair; makes my new growth soft and less kinky.

Wow, did you go raw for hair health or for health? More power to you!

I'm glad to see there is thin/fine hair support group here. I had to learn to work with my hair, instead of working against it. Right now I am taking my vitamins (so far just a multi, Biotin, and MSM), hand detangling, low manipulation/no heat or straightening/no brushing, and oil scalp massages.

ETA: I am also eating adding more protein (but with less fat) and veggies/fruits to my diet, plus I am going to do 2 detoxes a year.
I wish I could take vitamins but I can't even remember to take my regular vitamins so I certainly can't incorporate anymore vits, lol.

Fine/med density/very delicate checking in. I have learned to love it's length and am starting to appreciate everything else.

Reading through this thread I think I figured out that co washing could be causing the breakage at the back center of my head. Imma give it up and see if that helps. I'm so glad I read this thread through!

I wanted to start cowashing my hair but I always lose so much hair when I wash that I don't want to risk it, that and doing my hair gets on my nerves so once a week is quite enough, lol

Fine haired, low density natural checking in. Sure wish this was still a sticky, but I've subscribed.:grin:

I have had major setbacks due to my fine strands, especially at the back of my hair where now I have a quasi 'bald spot'.

1) To pre-conditon my hair with water and conditioner(the Wen SAM has been working very well lately) ( and sometimes sunflower oil) for as long as I can, then gently with fingers before detangling in shower.

2) Avoid those metal clips. I noticed I was getting splits further up on the hair strand and realized those metal clips were definitely weaking the shaft causing damage and splits.

3) Using an ayurvedic powder (like Henna/cassia) to strengthen the strand to avoid damage and breakage.....I'm still testing this, I've used cassia 2 days ago and I believe this will be the product that will make a difference, especially on the baby fine strands in the back.

4) Even though I love my length, I must pin up the back of my hair to avoid further damage to the strands, or maybe start to wear a silk/satin scarf around shoulders if I wear my hair down.

6) Continue castor oil.

Hmm, I use those metal clips every night to pin curl my hair, maybe I"ll start to use bobby pins. In what way were you using the metal clips?

I am going to condish wash this week and do a final rinse with coffee, allowing my hair to soak in a tub of coffee for 15 minutes, I will rinse it out and then spritz a little more on my hair for a leave in, I hope this aids in shedding..which is my biggest problem right now.
Let's keep up the progress and suggestions ladies!

Hmm, I use those metal clips every night to pin curl my hair, maybe I"ll start to use bobby pins. In what way were you using the metal clips?

I am going to condish wash this week and do a final rinse with coffee, allowing my hair to soak in a tub of coffee for 15 minutes, I will rinse it out and then spritz a little more on my hair for a leave in, I hope this aids in shedding..which is my biggest problem right now.

I was using them to pin up my bantu knots. I hope the coffee rinse works, keep us posted.

bumping to ask a question to the ladies using mild lye relaxers

do you find that they process your hair bone straight vs. telaxing it? Also, do they tend to leave you slightly underproessed at all? I plan on self relaxing next month and have narrowed down my choices to the Mizani lye mild(fine/color treated hair), Mizani lye for medium/normal hair, and Design Essentials lye regular. I prefer my hair to be as straight as possible b/c dealing with two textures is just torture to my strands.

Last edited:
Subscribing to this thread. I'm a thin/fine natural. Like another lady said, I tried everything on this board and my hair suffered from it. So, I'm keeping it simple, taking multi, liquid iron, my basic hair vitamin and biotin. I also use Minoval/MN. Its worked well for me.

Subscribing. Fine-haired and texlaxed 4b looking to maximize my hair's health. My hair is currently neck-length, healthy, and dense but my goal is to grow it to APL.

Fine haired 4b natural checking in (I actually have a mix of strands but most of them are fine). I posted in this thread years ago back when I was relaxed. I'm happy to say my hair is much fuller, stronger, and healthier since going natural and also cutting back on heat usage. My biggest struggle relaxed was that I could never get the protein/moisture balance right. My hair is naturally very dry/porous, but since my strand are fine, also weak and fragile. The chemicals and heat made both of these things even worse. I was always in a constant cycle of my hair would do ok for a while, but eventually always break off again.

My hair is super dry so I only use moisturizing deep conditioners and I always dc under the steamer. But most will have a SMALL bit of protein in them. I do not use products w/cones unless I am straightening- I like Giovanni Smooth as Silk (has soy protein), Aubrey Organics Island Naturals (almond protein), Curl Junkie Banana Hibiscus (oat flour). Last time I got my hair straightened they used Joico Moisture Recovery line and that did really well for me, in the past the K-pak line had too much protein in it and not enough moisture for me. Right now my staple moisturizer is Bee Mine Luscious balanced and it does have a bit of protein in it (wheat protein).

At this point I've gotten to know my hair pretty well and I can usually look at an ingredient list and play with a product in my hands and have a pretty good idea if it will work for me or not.

I'm also really anal and careful about detangling (i do it with water and evoo before I shampoo). And I keep my hair in low manipulation styles. I never comb my hair dry and pretty much only manipulate it on wash day (unless im wearing it straight).

Last edited:

6) Continue castor oil.

You hair is so lovely. Its looks soft and shiny but not weighted down. I use to be very skimpy with my castor oil thinking it was to heavy but I have re-evaluated all my recipes. I use larger quanity of castor oil now and there has been a huge difference in the moisture level of my hair.

However, I think I may increase the proportion because it does not seem to be clogging pores or building up on my scalp or hair. I have fine low to medium density. Just finished a four year shed and lost 2/3 of my hair. So I am on a long juorney to regain all the volume I can will protecting my ends.

Today I am getting ready to do a mollasses and coffee prepoo. I think I will add castor oil to the recipe this time.

Is your castor oil the black castor oil? I have not tried it yet. Using up my Now brand.

Thank you for the tip about the cassia henna is it. I was thinking I needed something for my courser crown hairs that are so much shorter then the lower hairs.

Last edited:
I wish I could take vitamins but I can't even remember to take my regular vitamins so I certainly can't incorporate anymore vits, lol.

I wanted to start cowashing my hair but I always lose so much hair when I wash that I don't want to risk it, that and doing my hair gets on my nerves so once a week is quite enough, lol

When I was shedding I almost would cry at wash time. Depending on your conditioners they are still gentlier than shampoo. I now made my own conditioner wash with liquid castile soap and coconut and other oils. The basic recipe is 1/2 liquid soap to 1/2 oils. I use less soap in my recipe. Then followed wiith a conditioner of choice for moisture and or a oil rinse. Then an ACV rinse. They help with reducing my tangles to avoid breakage. Now sometimes I prepoo with protein and sometimes I prepoo with a moisture masque.
You do have to try and address the shedding with vitamins or scalp treatments. I had let the pressure of life force me to put my hair on the back burner and put my resources else where. Four years of shedding took its toll. Its going to be a long journey back to fuller more even hair but so far its going well.

Also double check on the coffee. I use it now also but I thought it should never be on your hair more than 2 hours for it may cause drying out of hair and scalp.

Hope you can get the shedding under control.

Bumping for more motivation and tips from fine haired ladies! Sometimes it seems like so many of the popular hair gurus/youtube people have thick strong hair. Seeing fine haired ladies who've had success really inspires me.

I've been having problems with splits and a little bit of breakage. So I am revamping my regimen to include more protein. My focus all through my transition and being newly natural was moisture, moisture, moisture; when I'd try to do protein my hair would dry out. Now I think my hair finally has a decent moisture level and I can add protein in the mix without it drying out.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread... I have been on this hair board for a long time and my hair has never flourished. I have shaved it off, went natural, relaxed, went natural and relaxed all since 2005. Right now I will be 1 year relaxer free in October, I have about 2 inches of relaxed ends. I started with a pixie cut and I really want long hair. Just don't know how it's possible with my hair type. I think going natural and getting presssed is my solution but everytime I take down a sew in and look at my real hair I am soooooooooooooo discouraged. Bumping this thread for motivation. We should get some pictures going in here :)

PoisedNPolished, you re seriously telling my story. Just this morning I was thinking to myself this morning that my hair won't ever be easy and won't ever look like everyone else's. I'm discouraged by that.

PoisedNPolished and yodie. Try not to get too discouraged. I have fine thin hair and it is frustrating but with hair like ours, we just have to find styles that work. I just discovered Curl Formers which are great and if you have the skill and patience, roller sets give us a lot of body! Things to stay away from are wraps and IMHO braid and twist outs. My hair looks like straw after those. Can you guys tell me what your concerns are so I can give you some encouragement? It's taken a long time but I've found out what my hair likes and doesn't like. It's all about trial and error with our hair.

Here is a video by a girl who has fine thin hair just like mine. I scour YT looking for hair twins I can follow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b29XZBUPgLc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
HTH

My hair has never been easy, but it seems a lot worse since I've been practicing healthier methods like not oiling my scalp and everything else like air drying, twist outs, leave ins, no heat, etc. I'm going back to oiling my scalp. My edges and nape have always ben fine. Nape has been non existnt since relaxers in high school. Msm helps, but it makes my hair very dry.

Thank you for the video. I'll take a look. I have a lot of those white spots in my strand where it looks like water exploded in my strands, which makes me think its from my stylist usingblowdryer

My hair is just strange... hard to explain. I wish you all could see it in person LOL... it's kinda furry. When I'm natural it's not bad... there are styles I like. But I want SWANG. Just one time in life. I can live without ever wearing a wrap. My hair is too short for roller sets right now. See my siggy. This is why I have been doing sew ins.

PoisedNPolished. My hair was furry too!! I started drenching my hair with humectants and that did the trick. You can do flexirods or perm rod sets with short hair if you can't do rollersets but I know what you mean about length. This shoulder length hair I have now is for the birds! But being that a year ago my hair was fried and ear length, I should be thankful, lol :yep:

@yodie. White spots on the strands? Like the water isn't penetrating?

I think these white spots are are bubbles of heat. Can't explain it word for word now. Nonie explained it to me before. It happens when water bubbles/explodes within the strand and the strand splits. Unfortunately I have some of these. No more allowing my stylist to blow dry my hair. I'm gonna do my own hair for awhile and I don't care if it isn't perfect. I have some hairs (in my nape) that are growing in split. My hair usually doesn't grow in this area. I'm ready to shave my head bald.

@PoisedNPolished. My hair was furry too!! I started drenching my hair with humectants and that did the trick. You can do flexirods or perm rod sets with short hair if you can't do rollersets but I know what you mean about length. This shoulder length hair I have now is for the birds! But being that a year ago my hair was fried and ear length, I should be thankful, lol :yep:

How did you recover from having fried hair?
Ladies, what do you mean by furry hair? My hair is always poofy. I hate that. It's never sleek or just straight. Always poofy and puffy when I do it. It's straight when my stylist does it, but I have to use alot of heat for that.
I love getting my hair done, but now I'm contemplating washing, DC'ing, blowdrying and just letting him flat iron/curl it.

My hair is just strange... hard to explain. I wish you all could see it in person LOL... it's kinda furry. When I'm natural it's not bad... there are styles I like. But I want SWANG. Just one time in life. I can live without ever wearing a wrap. My hair is too short for roller sets right now. See my siggy. This is why I have been doing sew ins.

My hair is "furry" 2x.:lol: It is very thin but swells it there's any humidity at all. Below is a pic of my natural hair after blowdrying and straightening.

IMG_9773.jpg

Last edited:
Today is a bad day... I feel the longer my hair gets the thinner it seems...
When I was relaxed I could never find my scalp even when I searched for it because of all the thick new growth. Now I can slide my finger in my hair and see it :(
Oh what to do I don't wanna cry cause I see growth even after just getting a big trim in July but still... Any advice

Wigs.
Are any of you ladies able to pull off a wig/half wig with thin hair. It has just dawned on me why i think i just look plain stupid with a wig on and feel like i'm wearing a huge helmet- it's because my own hair is thin so when i have a wig on it just looks fake.....i look like a witch! Plus those combs dig into my scalp because there isn't enough hair for it to anchor onto to.

I am able to wear wigs pretty easy. I usually just play with them and cut and pin them to fit my head. Half wigs are hard because of my fine hair but I don't leave much hair out and use headbands to blend. constance now if my fur looks like THAT when it gets long I will be so excited. You have any more pics!?...

@ yodie
How did you recover from having fried hair?
Ladies, what do you mean by furry hair? My hair is always poofy. I hate that. It's never sleek or just straight. Always poofy and puffy when I do it. It's straight when my stylist does it, but I have to use alot of heat for that.
I love getting my hair done, but now I'm contemplating washing, DC'ing, blowdrying and just letting him flat iron/curl it.

I recovered by basically babying my hair. Last July I decided enough was enough. I had a cute and edgy ear length A line cut that needed to be washed and flatironed daily. After my DH proposed to me in May, I decided that I needed to grow my hair out for my wedding so I could wear an updo. After seeing a ton of broken hairs all over my counter one day in June, I decided I needed to do something right then. That's how I found LHCF. I immediately put a hard protein treatment in and cut off my fried split ends. It looked like this: (1st pic) Scary, huh? All chewed up and about 1 to 2 inches all over my head.

After the protein treatment and using no heat for a month, it looked like this: (2nd and 3rd pic)

I wore it like that until about October when I could finally get it into a ponytail barely! I had to gel everything back. I went a bought a fake bun and wore that or would wrap a track around my hair and tie it in a bun. By December, my hair looked like this for my engagement pics (4th pic) My wedding was in March and I could finally do a rollerset and pin the back of my hair up just in time for my wedding! (5th pic) On the first week of my honeymoon, I flat ironed everyday and did experience a setback of heat damage in the front, nape and side of my hair and discovered this on the 2nd week of my honeymoon when I tried to wear my hair curly everyday:nono:

After we got back, I decided to moisturize and seal 2x day and bun until the weather got hot enough for me to do wash n gos. I am happy to report that as of the end of last month, I did a length check and I believe I retained 5 in. for the year. I have recently learned that I have low porosity and I drench my hair in moisturizers and rarely use proteins. My hair is thriving! I DC almost everyday before my wash n gos (which I do daily) and I sleep with Hawaiian Silky 14n1 and bun every night. I'll start bunning again in October and hopefully by next May, I will be scraping APL :yep:

Attachments

• chewed up hair.jpg
    chewed up hair.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 110
  • str84.jpg
    str84.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 106
  • str85.jpg
    str85.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 106
  • engagement1.jpg
    engagement1.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 71.JPG
    71.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 125
constance now if my fur looks like THAT when it gets long I will be so excited. You have any more pics!?...

Here's one from 12/10 where the thinness is more apparent. I try to avoid the bone straight look, which makes me look like I have 3 strands of hair. But I also try to keep the poof-bouffant under control...with less success.:rolleyes:

IMG_9477.jpg

Back