Thin/Fine Support Thread

lissanaturally
Have you tried the VO5 conditioners? In the beg of my HHJ they didn't seem to work so well for me but when I limited my use of silicones and started clarifying monthly, now they work really well. And they're really cheap!! A good thin consistency for cowashing

ETA: they all have biotin and panthenol for thickening and some have collagen too.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Yes I do, I have ignored them for some time but thanks to your suggestion I'll start using them again. Thanks :)

What I did was cut my hair to all one length. With that I do a lot of wet bunning after I conditioner wash and moisturize my hair with Infusium leave in (which has protein) along with sealing it with argan oil. I just recently stopped direct heat all together about a month ago. I'm only going to do it once in a while for something different, length checks, micro trims and to treat myself. I take biotin with a multivitamin and I just treat my fine hair like antique lace like we are suppose to. The only time I struggle is when it's wet and looks really thin and uneven. That's why wet bunning helps alot. Also letting it air dry at least half way with shrinkage, then doing an indirect heat tension blowdry but leaving the ends out of it all together, those I leave curly so my ends completely air dry.

I too cut my hair to one length. Layers and low density are a nono. My daughter and I both have fine, low density type 4 hair that is super fragile and tangly. I keep her hair plaited or in 2 strand twists. I redo them weekly after a dc/cowash.

I keep my hair in plaits and I wash and dc weekly. I wear a wig 80% of the time, but occasionally I like to wear my hair straight. I can stretch a blowout up to 4 weeks if I go light on the products. I take a daily multivitamin, a hair vitamin and a fast dissolving biotin pill. I started using sulfur oil a few months ago and it is helping with growth.

I'm still over here struggling t grow out these layers. I'm looking into protective styling again, but with larger box braids that'll hopefully reduce the strain on my individual fine strands.

I have fine hair. It use to bug me because it never looked as full as I wanted it to but not using heat often (once every 3-4 months) helped a lot. Biotin also helped make my strands thicker and more dense. I actually found my staple products early on in my journey and once I quit using heat so often and using a heat protectant when I do my hair flourished.

My hair prefers watery products to DC with. It also likes being left alone. Washing once to twice a week and only putting a comb to my hair if it's wet and drenched in conditioner is it. No moisturizing outside of wash day. I grew my hair to waist length by doing nothing to it.

Fine hair here too. 3c/4a

I've been upping my internal and external protein, plus oiling my hair with Vatika and castor oil. I hope a regular and consistent program will help my hair regain some of the density I lost last year due to neglect.

I always said I would keep my natural layers but you ladies are right. The layers make my hair look really unimpressive. Especially now that I'm no longer natural. I'm not sure if I want to wait until my shorter layers grow out more or if I'll wait to meet my growth goal so that the big chop won't feel so counterintuitive.

Thanks for bumping this thread! I was just grumbling because I have to braid down a head full of almost APL natural hair to go under my LFs for the week. I'm still wearing LFs (with bobby pins) as a protective style which allows me to workout in the mornings before work. Looking back, what a journey! My hair, including my edges has grown in super healthy and as thick (for me anyways) This board has been a lifesaver!! It takes diet, exercise and a healthy hair care routine to get back to healthy hair.

Last edited:
Thanks for bumping this thread! I was just grumbling because I have to braid down a head full of almost APL natural hair to go under my LFs for the week. I'm still wearing LFs (with bobby pins) as a protective style which allows me to workout in the mornings before work. Looking back, what a journey! My hair, including my edges has grown in super healthy and as thick (for me anyways) This board has been a lifesaver!! It takes diet, exercise and a healthy hair care routine to get back to healthy hair.
You're welcome! I was searching the threads and found this one. I think it'd be good for us to keep it going.

Examined hair when it was dry and it's not so bad as far as looking uneven. It actually looks pretty even when it's dry. There is that one spot in the middle that I have to constantly blend with the other hair. I keep imagining my hair filling in as it grows. I haven't flat ironed my hair in over a month. I was thinking about it today but that would be ridiculous. I think I would be more discouraged if I did. So I conditioner washed, moisturized and sealed. My hair is currently air drying and I will stretch it out a little bit when the ends are fully dry and the roots are about 60% dry. I can't believe it takes 4 long months to only get 2 inches growth. That's another reason why it's so important to baby your hair and make sure we protect it from damage.

Another couple of things that I wanted to add was that oil rinsing with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) has been a saving grace for my hair. Applying EVOO to my (combed) wet hair (and combing it through again) then bunning it for at least a half an hour has made my hair and especially my ends much thicker. You can instantly see and feel the difference. I think it's also important to pre poo. It's very important to shampoo your hair because buildup can make it so dry and brittle. I ended up with a BC because of buildup around 4 years ago and I only learned about build up a few months ago. I couldn't figure out why my hair looked like a million bucks one day and few days later looked extremely damaged... Build up!
:scratchchin:
So thankful for LHCF. I have learned so much on my journey and my hair is probably the longest and healthiest it's ever been, besides when I was 10 years younger and having my first child with breastfeeding and prenatal vitamins. Some of it was trial and error.
:pulpdance:

Tonight I applied my sulfur oil and then flipped my head upside down and did a scalp massage. Once I stood up my hair had serious volume and it looked great. I'm sure it's only temporary, but I like it!

I wanted to post a pic of what I mean with my hair problems. The nape and crown are shorter and I constantly have to blend the longer hairs or it looks like I have a chunk of hair missing, which I probably actually do.
:angry2:

Also I just did a microtrim on a hack job flatiron, lol.

Attachments

• Shorter nape and crown unblended.jpg
    Shorter nape and crown unblended.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 28
  • After Trim 3 Feb 16.jpg
    After Trim 3 Feb 16.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back