The Secret to Long Hair is....

0live0il

Using your finger to detangle. Well that's the secret for me. For years I hovered between collar bone length and APL. I suffered from so many splits-ends, breakage, dryness.. etc. Now the comb wasn't the sole cause of all these issues lol, but it definitely didn't makes things better. I believe the first time I joined this site was in Aug 2010. For 6 months, I saw relatively no change. My hair was stagnant in growth. This, in addition to my half-relaxed damaged hair, led me to BC. I think that was the best decision I made because it allowed me to get to 'know my hair.' When I was new on this forum, I was eager to just 'copy' someone's hair regimen instead of exploring the best for my hair density and texture etc.

As my hair grew longer, I began to perfect my techniques. Product is good but without good technique, it's useless. Bunning became my go-to style but I was forced to comb every day. I started to get knots & my days became filled with me becoming anxious about doing my hair since I was resulting in cutting bits off due to knots. At the beginning of my hair journey, I was obsessed with hairtype because I felt if I could correctly assign a number to my hair, it would help me hunt down similar people and I could find out what helped them to grow long, healthy hair. But even now I'm not sure what my exact hair type is 2 years later. However, I know I have cottony fine-hair, medium density, with an S-curl pattern. My hair is not extremely thick and the illusion fades as soon as I straighten it :lol: but it can appear thick due to its cottony texture. I still don't think my hair is very long, but it's definitely the longest/healthiest it has ever been.

What inspired this thread? I have been getting a lot of compliments lately from friends and family & since I learned all my hair secrets from people on this board.. I felt obliged to give back to the community lol. Maybe I'll help a newbie out there or something.

Good luck to everybody on their hair journey. May we all be blessed with healthy hair, healthy bodies, and overall goodness. Amen

Last edited:
Are you finger detangling while wet (right before a blowdry) and when dry? Seems like my ends are always dry and always need to be cut as a result. I rarely make progress gain length.

Last edited:
How do regular combs cause split ends and dryness? Would a seamless comb prevent this?

Are you finger detangling while wet (right before a blowdry) and when dry? Seems like my ends are always dry and always need to be cut as a result. I rarely make progress gain length.

@yodie I finger detangle semi-dry (moisturized) hair. I forgot to mention something pretty big -- my hair is ALWAYS in twists or braids now. I no longer leave it out like my avatar.

You say you have cottony hair but your hair always looks so silky and defined. How do you cut down frizz?

@yuhlovevybz - Is it possible to be both? My hair can lay down easily and it does give off a shine, but it's still cottony. I could easily turn my hair into a big ball of cotton candy :lol:

Fingers don't get enough shedded hair for me.

@Cherrypie - I thought the finger detangle method was so silly, until I tested it out and kept my hair braided/twisted. It's been the best method for me so far. But I could understand if it doesn't work for others.. since all our hair is unique.

How do regular combs cause split ends and dryness? Would a seamless comb prevent this?

yodiei don't think seamless combs are bad, but I believe they are bad for fine-hair. I retain more by using my fingers lol. I can gently separate the hair so it reduces breakage & I retain more length :yep:

Last edited:
Hmmmm.....i'm fine haired and I LOVE my seamless wide tooth comb....I only use it once a week though, on wash day... I personally don't do a lot of detangling....on wash day while my hair is drenched in condish I will go through my head with "prayer hands" and then go over it with a wide tooth comb and boom....done..

Hmmmm.....i'm fine haired and I LOVE my seamless wide tooth comb....I only use it once a week though, on wash day... I personally don't do a lot of detangling....on wash day while my hair is drenched in condish I will go through my head with "prayer hands" and then go over it with a wide tooth comb and boom....done..

I should have started the thread with.. "the secret to long hair for ME'' :lachen:

Oops. You see guys, the real secret is finding what works best fir you :yep:

^^This and Very low heat got me nearly to WL.

Not only protective styling, but low frequency of styling. In a week, my hair is rarely brushed more than twice, and even then, that's just the top and sides of my head. I rarely take down my bun on a non-wash day. I just loosen it a bit before I get in the shower so that it can get nice and wet, then I tighten it back after I get out.

I've been considering finger diet angling and combing for a few days now. I have fine hair and I can totally relate to your story. I just trimmed/cut back to an inch below collarbone due to damaged ends. This post is right on time girl! My issue is finding protective styles that are cute and will last the week. Cornrows just aren't cute on my big head! Lol

OP and other ladies that are finger detangling,

Do you wear your hair straight? If so, how do you straighten it? Do you finger detangle and then use the tension method? Do you flat iron? I'm a fine hair natural and I prefer to wear straight styles.

Just asking.
Thanks.

Fingers don't get enough shedded hair for me.

Same here. I ended up with more knots and tangles (eventually a couple of locks that way :lol:). I now use a wide tooth comb and follow up with a smaller comb, (per Nonie's advice months ago) both seamless, to get rid of the tangles and shed hairs.

Now to my secret:

Moisture, moisture, moisture
Sealing
Protective styling
Treating porous hair (henna, proteins, Roux, panthenol, glazes)

I also have the same textured hair but am now relaxed. A combination of finger combing in a very careful manner when my hair is semi wet (but not damp or sopping wet) and detangling with my bone combs has been helping for me along with protective styling.

Everyone has their ah ha moment about their hair, glad you found yours.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Lots of moisture, protective styling and low manipulation. That's how I grew it when I had processed hair and I'm sticking with that.

My secret to long hair is oil! My hair thrives on it. Olive, Jamaican Black Castor, grapeseed, coconut, almond, coconut, sunflower, jojoba, etc....

The secret is not losing as much as your growing. What ensures that for me is:

-moisture
-protective styling
-trimming only when needed
-handling the hair very delicately to prevent breakage

Wish I could finger detangle but I have to use a comb because if I don't those shed hairs will attach to non-shed hairs and cause serious problems.

I think moisture and no heat are my key to maintaining length. I do NOT do protective styles because I simply love wearing my hair out. I wash my hair every two days and yes this is with shampoo. Co-washing is not for my hair. Too much build up.

I cannot use all natural products. My products must have at least one or two cones or I'm gonna wind up with serious breakage while detangling. Cones give me the right amount of slip I need to detangle my tangle prone hair.

I should have started the thread with.. "the secret to long hair for ME'' :lachen:

Oops. You see guys, the real secret is finding what works best fir you :yep:

I thought you were asking members for their "Secret to Long Hair". By the way it's titled, I was prepared to come in and give my secret. I think that is how others are viewing this thread topic-- hence-- the reason different secrets are being revealed. Don't alter the title, just work with it- no biggie.

Babying my hair helped me. I treat my hair as if it can talk. If your hair would be screaming, then don't do it. That's my motto.

What has worked best for me is:

- low manipulation
- keeping my hair hidden
- moisturizing and sealing
- weekly deep conditioning

Nothing new. :lol:

I thought you were asking members for their "Secret to Long Hair". By the way it's titled, I was prepared to come in and give my secret. I think that is how others are viewing this thread topic-- hence-- the reason different secrets are being revealed. Don't alter the title, just work with it- no biggie.

virtuenow I am, I am :lol: I thought people got my message confused & thought I was saying that THIS was the secret to long hair when I was merely suggesting what worked for me. But now I realize it was just all a misunderstanding lol.

Carry on sharing folks! I love reading what worked for people.

OP and other ladies that are finger detangling,

Do you wear your hair straight? If so, how do you straighten it? Do you finger detangle and then use the tension method? Do you flat iron? I'm a fine hair natural and I prefer to wear straight styles.

Just asking.
Thanks.

yodie - I always keep my hair in protective styling. It's either in braids or twists 90% of the time.

I try to straighten my hair once a year. For those rare occasion I have to pull out the comb. There's no way I could just finger detangle then :lol: I hope someone else chimes in to answer your Q Yodie. Sorry I couldn't be more useful.

^^^Thanks.
My hair grows, but I never retain because I always have split ends. I've been wearing my hair out too much lately. I need to go back to straightening it and wearing it pinned up.
I dont think finger detangling will work for me, but I just purchased two seamless combs, so we'll see. I hope this helps.

Back