The Secret to Long Hair is....

^^^Thanks.
My hair grows, but I never retain because I always have split ends. I've been wearing my hair out too much lately. I need to go back to straightening it and wearing it pinned up.
I dont think finger detangling will work for me, but I just purchased two seamless combs, so we'll see. I hope this helps.

@yodie - Constant heat can be real damaging. Have you ever thought about giving it a rest? And maybe wigging it? It sounds like you too much to your hair. What's the longest your hair has ever been? Are you a natural? I'm assuming so, because girl if your relaxed and straightening I might have to call the hair police on ya arse :lachen:

Last edited:
OliveOil

I've done the wig thing for a long time. Seems my hair stays at the length shown in my avatar. I've had several setbacks, so I had to come back from all of those. Yes, I'm natural. I wash, DC, and flat iron once every two weeks.

I've been wearing my hair down for the past two weeks. Before then I wore it up for the majority of the day. Gotta get back to that.

I don't use heat in between washes, so it's about twice a month. I think the blow dryer w/comb attachment might be my downfall. My ends are dry afterwards. Halfway thru the blow dry session I put mango butter on my wet ends and hair shaft and my hair felt better as I continued to blow dry.

I have to focus on the tension method more. I just brought two seamless combs and I might need to focus on steam treatments.

@OliveOil

I've done the wig thing for a long time. Seems my hair stays at the length shown in my avatar. I've had several setbacks, so I had to come back from all of those. Yes, I'm natural. I wash, DC, and flat iron once every two weeks.

I've been wearing my hair down for the past two weeks. Before then I wore it up for the majority of the day. Gotta get back to that.

I don't use heat in between washes, so it's about twice a month. I think the blow dryer w/comb attachment might be my downfall. My ends are dry afterwards. Halfway thru the blow dry session I put mango butter on my wet ends and hair shaft and my hair felt better as I continued to blow dry.

I have to focus on the tension method more. I just brought two seamless combs and I might need to focus on steam treatments.

yodie - I didn't get the mention until now because my username is with the number 0. Ermm, do you like doing any natural styles which don't require heat? Even though your hair in your avatar looks beautiful, if you have fine-hair.. heat is definitely the devil & could be detrimental for you in the long run.

0live0il, sorry about the misspelling.

Yes, I'm considering more natural styles. Just moved and looking for someone that does natural styles. My hair is already short and I definitely don't want a short, natural style.

@0live0il, sorry about the misspelling.

Yes, I'm considering more natural styles. Just moved and looking for someone that does natural styles. My hair is already short and I definitely don't want a short, natural style.

It's fine. It happens all the time :lol:

I hope you find what you're looking for. Definitely try to cut the heat out and see what happens :yep:

Hmmmm.....i'm fine haired and I LOVE my seamless wide tooth comb....I only use it once a week though, on wash day... I personally don't do a lot of detangling....on wash day while my hair is drenched in condish I will go through my head with "prayer hands" and then go over it with a wide tooth comb and boom....done..

this is exaclty how i detangle :-) i have no knots between washes
ive got fine hair too.

OP and other ladies that are finger detangling,

Do you wear your hair straight? If so, how do you straighten it? Do you finger detangle and then use the tension method? Do you flat iron? I'm a fine hair natural and I prefer to wear straight styles.

Just asking.
Thanks.

i damp hair add slippy condition finger detangle then with comb section by section. (i.do.8 sections).
i either tension method + nothing.
or tension method + flat iron.
or rollerset + flat iron roots.

as à fine hair lady my hair has way more bounce/mouvement and thickness when i rollerset +flat iron roots.

my hair does better with heat. i retained better than ever last year. i dust regulary (every 8-12 weeks)
i wear my hair up mostly. its down like 10% of thé time.

wearing it straight or stretched is best for me.

always dc before and use heat serum.

im à 4 type (mostly b). with fine hair

My secret isn't anything new.

Low manipulation, low-to-no heat, protective styles, the L.O.C. moisture method, and finger combing are what has saved my hair.

• moisture
  • low manipulation
  • protective styling
  • leaving it alone
  • making sure it is stretched through braids, flat iron or some other way
  • oil rinse & moisurizing dc alway
  • comb delicately and patiently
  • detangle with cowboy magic

Last edited:
moisturize, moisturize.
condition weekly, protein once a month
bag ends a few times a week
handling w car, protective styles,

Knowing your strand size....

So many people think the key is this, that and the third, but knowing if your hair is thin, medium or thick is the trick to knowing the type of shampoos, conditioners, leave-in and oils your hair will respond best too.

Knowing your porosity....

Say what you want about lo Po hair, but my hair doesn't break that easily either.

Knowing your hair and what's going on with it will help you more than any product your willing to spend mucho dolares on.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

-Protein treatments: I must do protein treatment every time that I wash my hair. If I don't, breakage will ensue.

-Trims: I can't go too long between trims. If I do, my retention will suffer.

-Consistently moisturizing and sealing my ends: If I don't do this, my retention will suffer

-Finger-detangling: I've gone back and forth with different detangling methods, but finger-combing works best for me

-Wearing mostly protective styles: I must keep my ends protected

-Low manipulation: I must do this in conjunction with protective styling to retain length

M&S'ing hair, especially the ends, vitamins, lots of water, finger combing, gentle detangling,
PS'ing, avoiding stylists and salons, using the right balance of protein and moisture products, and keeping the scalp clean and lubricated have been the best things for my hair.

Back