The orginal Fine hair thread 2013

since i got a touchup yesterday, i don't know what to think about the products i have been using. my hair feels so healthy and light! i can get a comb through it with no problem. i wrapped my hair the old school way yesterday and it fell so nicely this morning. i didn't put any product in my hair last night either. my hair still feels silky and not dry.

i was told to back off of the protein. i think i will back off of the coconut oil too. i need some jojoba oil. that is very light. i am going to be extremely light with applying product too. it's probably going to be hotter than that thang this summer, so i need some pretty scarfs to protect it.

since i got a touchup yesterday, i don't know what to think about the products i have been using. my hair feels so healthy and light! i can get a comb through it with no problem. i wrapped my hair the old school way yesterday and it fell so nicely this morning. i didn't put any product in my hair last night either. my hair still feels silky and not dry.

i was told to back off of the protein. i think i will back off of the coconut oil too. i need some jojoba oil. that is very light. i am going to be extremely light with applying product too. it's probably going to be hotter than that thang this summer, so i need some pretty scarfs to protect it.

I'm glad your relaxer was a success! You didn't incorporate protein? If not you should definitely do it on your next wash because relaxers strips the protein from your hair.

I decided to put the coconut oil up for the month for sealing and use my ceramide oil mix instead. I'll still use it to pretty-poo tho.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Hi guys!
So recently I was told by two different people that my hair is fine. Now this is news to me, I was wondering how you guys know if youre hair is fine.
Also my hair isnt thin, I have a lot of hair.

Hi guys!
So recently I was told by two different people that my hair is fine. Now this is news to me, I was wondering how you guys know if youre hair is fine.

You have to look at the individual strands. I googled to find pics to compare it too. You probably have a lot of strands which makes you hair dense and gives you the appearance of thick hair. You can post pics and I'm sure one of us could help you out!

Hi guys!

MixedGirl Fine hair is barely visible when a single strand is held up while thick hair resembles a string of thread. If you relax your hair every 4-8 weeks your hair will appear much thinner than it really is because relaxers and relaxer over lapping will thin hair out considerably. When I did my first assessment, I was shocked to see that I could barely see my strand when I held it up. Now that I relax every 12 weeks, it's much thicker but is still fine.

From what I've learned, fine hair can't hold curls long, it is easily damaged by thermal tools because we lack the extra cuticle layers that our thick hair ladies have, we require extra protein to keep the fine strands strong. It is said that fine hair should not be relaxed/permed. You're lucky to have high density hair...I have fine strands and I'm low density.

If you have natural hair, it can still be fine but it doesn't appear to be because the chemical isn't melting it away. That coupled with high density (lots of strands) will give you the appearance if thick hair.

There is lots of info on the Internet on this topic. There should be links at the beginning of this thread.

Last edited:
[USER=364523]MixedGirl[/USER];18498853 said:
Hi guys!

Fine hair = strands have a very small diameter ie skinny and may even be hard to see when viewed a strand at a time

Thin hair = few strands that are kinda see-through

Coarse hair = strands have a large diameter and are thick when viewed individually. Asians have coarse strands

Thick hair = many strands

So someone with fine strands and have thick or thin hair, and someone with coarse strands can have thick or thin hair.

Your hair is fine if strands are skinny.

Fine hair = strands have a very small diameter ie skinny and may even be hard to see when viewed a strand at a time

Coarse hair = strands have a large diameter and are thick when viewed individually. Asians have coarse strands

So someone with fine strands and have thick or thin hair, and someone with coarse strands can have thick or thin hair.

"So someone with fine strands and have thick or thin hair, and someone with coarse strands can have thick or thin hair."

^^^ This is it. I have fine, thin hair.

I'm glad your relaxer was a success! You didn't incorporate protein? If not you should definitely do it on your next wash because relaxers strips the protein from your hair.

I decided to put the coconut oil up for the month for sealing and use my ceramide oil mix instead. I'll still use it to pretty-poo tho.

she said it seemed i had protein overload. my hair actually felt better and stronger after the relaxer. i think i needed my hair to be stripped. that's what saved me from my protein overload last year. i wish you could have felt the difference before and feel it now. i know that no-lye had a lot to do with it too! now i don't know what to use on my hair. i am going to have to ask her what should i use in between. i'm scared of everything i own now.

You have to look at the individual strands. I googled to find pics to compare it too. You probably have a lot of strands which makes you hair dense and gives you the appearance of thick hair. You can post pics and I'm sure one of us could help you out!

Thanks, I will do at some point.
I think the issues is I dont know what counts a thick strand or fine strand. Some strands on my head are obviously very fine but not sure about all of them

MixedGirl Fine hair is barely visible when a single strand is held up while thick hair resembles a string of thread. If you relax your hair every 4-8 weeks your hair will appear much thinner than it really is because relaxers and relaxer over lapping will thin hair out considerably. When I did my first assessment, I was shocked to see that I could barely see my strand when I held it up. Now that I relax every 12 weeks, it's much thicker but is still fine.

From what I've learned, fine hair can't hold curls long, it is easily damaged by thermal tools because we lack the extra cuticle layers that our thick hair ladies have, we require extra protein to keep the fine strands strong. It is said that fine hair should not be relaxed/permed. You're lucky to have high density hair...I have fine strands and I'm low density.

If you have natural hair, it can still be fine but it doesn't appear to be because the chemical isn't melting it away. That coupled with high density (lots of strands) will give you the appearance if thick hair.

There is lots of info on the Internet on this topic. There should be links at the beginning of this thread.

Im natural and only very recently have realised my hair and heat is not a good mix. Also when I had a relaxer, despite rarely using heat and always bunning my hair was HORRIBLY dead, my hair changed colour and it wasn't even relaxed bone straight. Thank!

Hmm I have thick hair defenitly but its possible I have fine strands I just don't know what a fine strand looks like.

coolsista-paris

Sorry for late answer.
I used to do apoghee 2 step every 6-8 weeks + mild protein every 2 weeks.

I dont really need thé 2 step.anymore (i hate thé smell and.that sticky feeling )

I.now use.thé 2 min apoghee every 2 weeks + another.product that works like à hard protein thats from loreal.
Great

Hey, no problem! :)

I went ahead with the Aphogee 2-step and it went great! Turns out hair with too little and too much protein is almost identical in its moisture retention issues. No wonder I was confused :lol:. I can't wait until I get over this experimental phase and get to the stage where I can finally feel that I know what my hair needs instead of guessing on a week by week basis.

EnExitStageLeft

Alaylaaa I am texturized and only do hard protein treatments before and after TU's (every 10-16 weeks). However I do use light to medium treatments in the meantime because with out it my hair would be a tangled limp mess :yep:. I am also silicone free and suggest you try either Joico K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor or the Sally's Beauty Supply GVP Version Of it (I use this one). Its a medium-ish treatment that is suitable for weekly use and I LURVES IT! I have 2 bottles of it in my stash as we speak lol.

What's a TU? Everyone I've ever met seems to rave about Joico K-Pak. I'll look into it if and when I finally run out of my current HG weekly treatment... *must resist buying ahead of time*

Checkin in, ladies! how is everyone doing??

Just rinsed my henna. Im learning more and more about my hair as I go along. This henna really is the key to managing my relaxer stretches. It really loosens up my NG. I am 10 weeks post as of thursday and scheduled to relax at 14 weeks.

I have to work harder to stay on a henna schedule. I really need to do it at least every 2 weeks. This might help me to stretch longer.

Anyone doing henna this often? How is it going for you? Any problems with excessive shedding between treatments?

I am also going to monitor my shedding for the next two weeks.

Tried it once weekly.... results were horrific :lachen:

I'm back to doing it every 2 weeks and it's going well but I've definitely had more shedding than usual. Maybe I shed 15-20 hairs a day now or something compared to my previous 3-5 lol. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing though given that the average person can shed up to 80-100, no problem. My theory is that the henna seems to increase shedding for two reasons. 1) using it regularly significantly loosens the curl pattern so the hairs can slide out easier without getting tangled on other curls. 2) The same dye deposit that makes the hair look hair look thicker as a whole also makes each individual strand heavier which encourages shedding even more.

I'm shedding 3x as much as before but my hair feels and looks noticeably fuller so maybe this is actually just normal. I wouldn't worry too much.

Man, I need to henna again... its been over 4 weeks and my hair needs it! I have to find it local tho because I dont have time to wait for it to come in the mail!!!

I'm probably going to henna again this weekend. I've done it twice so far.

ETA- scratch that I'm going oot this wkend so will try and do it during the week.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my SPH-L900 using LHCF

laylaaa

I like both your shedding theories. I know that using a growth aide can cause shedding too because of the speeding up of the cycles. Im prepooing with brahmi oil so I think this is the main culprit but Im not gonna stop using it though.

Today Im infusing garlic into some olive oil and I'll alternate between that and brahmi to see if it will subside some.

hairpleezgrow
I know how it is to have to put off your henna. Thats why its been so long for me.

Babygrowth
I hope you find some henna. I would have to go all the way on the North side of the city to find some. With the parking issues and traffic, its better fir me to order online

Last edited:
My hair has been doing good lately in look and feel. I'm proud of it. Gona try to install some Marley/Havana twists tomorrow to leave in for a few weeks. Any tips?
So today I will get my hair ready by washing and DCing, etc. Love hair days! :grin:

Do you ladies find that cream moisturizers cause knots and tangles when used daily?

charmtreese
I use creamy water based moisturizers but not everyday. I wash once a week so I only need to moisturize about 2-3 times a week. I do the ghe/baggy method overnight a few times a week to keep my hair moist longer and Ive been experimenting with a moisturizing spritz ghat I made. It really provides moisture.

Are you natural, transitioning or texlaxed? In spite of all that, I do have knots and tangles. I think its from the fact that curly hair will curl upon itself and cause knots. The shed hairs get caught up in curly strands easily and cause tangles. Im not sure that creamy moisturizers are the culprit. What makes you say this?

charmtreese
I use creamy water based moisturizers but not everyday. I wash once a week so I only need to moisturize about 2-3 times a week. I do the ghe/baggy method overnight a few times a week to keep my hair moist longer and Ive been experimenting with a moisturizing spritz ghat I made. It really provides moisture.

Are you natural, transitioning or texlaxed? In spite of all that, I do have knots and tangles. I think its from the fact that curly hair will curl upon itself and cause knots. The shed hairs get caught up in curly strands easily and cause tangles. Im not sure that creamy moisturizers are the culprit. What makes you say this?

I'm natural, but as a relaxed head I remember not having much success with them. I have been using a cream moisturizer on my natural hair with varied success. I also Baggie, but I baggy my puffs nightly.

They dry out my hair. Too many chemicals for my strands and scalp. Water or teas work for me just fine charmtreese

I think this may be true for me as well. I've been experimenting with using just sprays and oils

Im doing fine in my protective style.
Thé only problem is that its starting to curl back which makes knots more possible to appear.
So ,cant wait for wash day so i can stretch hair again.

As soon as its in its curly stare trouble starts. I would be better off with relaxed hair as i always wear it straight.But relaxed hair makes it finer so its just thé same circle... I need to wear it straight/stretched well all thé time. :-/

So glad that I found this thread. I am both fine haired and low density. I get so jealous of those ladies with those thick, luscious twists, but I work with what I got. * sigh * Going back to read the thread.

Ive been wearing flat twists on the sides and à braided bun. No hair loss. And the twists arent too tight. Im doing well. Except that its reverting and getting frizzy now.
Pics:

I wish my hair looked like that in flat twist. That's really pretty!

HPG

So I've been lazy and haven't hendigo'd like I wanted yet plus I was OOT so I will get to it eventually. I have been wanting to continue to wig it but I find for some reason my hair hasn't been taking cornrows too well. Ugh so I've been doing twist outs and wNgs that have been just meh to me but it's been working.

HPG

Im prepooing right now with some left over hair trigger oil. I plan to Hendigo tonight but I sure dont feel like it.

Its my first time doing indigo...i usually do glosses when I do henna and I get really good color because I high po. But Im worried that my grays wont get fully covered; Im going for dark brown.

hairpleezgrow
Do you put conditioner or anything else in your Hendigo? If so, how deep is your color and does it cover your grays?

Last edited:
Back