The orginal Fine hair thread 2013

I found it took forever for every length to be reached. Except bsl. But...im.back to apl :-/
Dont look a gift fine APL head in the mouth! :lol: I am jealous! See, APL will probably be my final goal. I have a long back and wide shoulders and I'm short. That will look really long on me. Plus, IDK if I will have the patience to deal with this finicky fine hair at a longer length.

I think it's time to PS. Or the scissors will be out again. Think I've cut about 3/4" the past couple weeks. Snipping hairs here and there is gonna keep me NL.:nono:

Dont look a gift fine APL head in the mouth! :lol: I am jealous! See, APL will probably be my final goal. I have a long back and wide shoulders and I'm short. That will look really long on me. Plus, IDK if I will have the patience to deal with this finicky fine hair at a longer length.

I think it's time to PS. Or the scissors will be out again. Think I've cut about 3/4" the past couple weeks. Snipping hairs here and there is gonna keep me NL.:nono:

hide those scissors please !lol

my goal was APL. but as im tall and my back is long, i dont feel like its apl :perplexed

So for that reason i need it longer. Its funny because when we reach a goal, we sometimes feel its not enough (hairnorexia is it?) lol well, i feel like one of those lol.

I then thought bsl will be enough, i had reached it but still didnt feel enough. + My hair grows in layers so, i dont feel long like i want to.

i want mbl or wl (i will cut if i ever reach wl, i just wanna see what the maximum this hair can do).

dealing with fine hair is annoying for retention. We need the biggest patience in the hair world

my goal was APL. but as im tall and my back is long, i dont feel like its apl :perplexed

So for that reason i need it longer. Its funny because when we reach a goal, we sometimes feel its not enough (hairnorexia is it?) lol well, i feel like one of those lol.

I then thought bsl will be enough, i had reached it but still didnt feel enough. + My hair grows in layers so, i dont feel long like i want to.

i want mbl or wl (i will cut if i ever reach wl, i just wanna see what the maximum this hair can do).

dealing with fine hair is annoying for retention. We need the biggest patience in the hair world

Thanks you for all this! How long did reaching longer lengths take you?

My hair grows in deep layers too. Before my haircuts these few weeks, the back was SL and the crown not even EL!!

Forever!!!

DarkJoy
I feel ya girl :) I trimmed a little all over today too. My bottom layer is full SL. Ive been trimming the layers in the back above the bottom to help them catch up. There is definite progress but its just taking so long!!

I think I have hair anorexia. Its so hard for me to judge my length. On the sides its past my hoop earrings. My edges and nape are thin so I think that effects how full my hair looks. Half my length is texturized and half is bone straight. I cant wait to get rid of these ends and see how my hair looks and acts fully texturized.

I've been wondering about this too. between my ends that split and the first sign of a breeze, and the rate at which my hair grows it feels like i'll never make apl. and when i do make it i dont went to be beggin arm pit length, cricking up my neck and stuff. I want to arrive in styyyyyyle. with a thick solid hemline. that may take another year + from cbl. U_U

In response to this discussion and my split end paranoia, and temptations in the crochet braid thread, I bought some hair and gonna do some crochets. Putting this bad girl away and keep her safe from me and the elements for 2 weeks. :)

So I just found out that I have both and medium strands on my head. I still belong here though.

I found à few thicker strands in the crown. My ruff part of the head. It breaks more than the rest and is shorter no matter how gentle i am it breaks. Maybe the pattern is tighter thats why..maybe?

I am finally taking these extension braids out. My hair seems stronger. And seems like ive retained. Cant wait to have à better look.
For thé first time it is not dry nor greasy dry. Feels good and strong.
I used braid spray when needed (sulfur 8) i had No itching at all for once. And this time i slept with à bonnet to protect hair at night. O mostly did updos with thé braids. When i bunned,i pulled thé braids at.hairline to loosen them .

Im.gonna wear my hair for 2 weeks then wig i guess. I might straighten not sûre yet. I will dust too.

And start exercising regulary. Hope all this will help me out.

Last edited:
So, I was using Emergencee every other week, followed by Humectress. Turns out it was too much. The first time or two my hair felt great. The next time I noticed my hair was dry and I was seeing short, broken pieces of hair. Soooo...I figure it's protein overload. Now I'm cowashing, M&Sing and bunning until I get it under control.

For those of you who've had protein overload, how long did it take you to turn it around?

oh girl I feel you soo much on the bolded!! I'm not really sure if my hair is fine, but I think so. I thought I would feel kinda good once i got to bsl, but I'm soo not anywhere near satisfied! since my hair is fine-ish, it doesn't look as long at bsl than some on here with thick bsl hair :sad: My hair has been up and I try to do less length checks instead of more so I don't obsess too much lol but I think I'm very close to MBL :spinning:

I found à few thicker strands in the crown. My ruff part of the head. It breaks more than the rest and is shorter no matter how gentle i am it breaks. Maybe the pattern is tighter thats why..maybe?

The crown is always the most unruly part of one's head and usually doesn't follow your main curl pattern and/or hair type. My crown is a 4b, while the rest is 3c/4a. I spray that area with water and use olive oil to finger detangle. It takes me about 10 minutes to detangle that one section, but I have minimized the breakage there and have gained retention. Hope this helps.

The crown is always the most unruly part of one's head and usually doesn't follow your main curl pattern and/or hair type. My crown is a 4b, while the rest is 3c/4a. I spray that area with water and use olive oil to finger detangle. It takes me about 10 minutes to detangle that one section, but I have minimized the breakage there and have gained retention. Hope this helps.

Im so tired of that part of my hair. Even detangling slowly with condit it brakes. Feels like à 4z! When thé rest is 4ab

oh girl I feel you soo much on the bolded!! I'm not really sure if my hair is fine, but I think so. I thought I would feel kinda good once i got to bsl, but I'm soo not anywhere near satisfied! since my hair is fine-ish, it doesn't look as long at bsl than some on here with thick bsl hair :sad: My hair has been up and I try to do less length checks instead of more so I don't obsess too much lol but I think I'm very close to MBL :spinning:

Oh you go on girl. Get that mbl.

Ive also realized that. Bsl on fine hair looks shorter than that. But bsl on thick hair looks bsl ! its fustrating.....i dont understand how my hair looked full as à little girl.what happened?! I sometimes wonder if its birth control pills,or high blood pressure thinning my hair.
I know others in my family have fine hair but they are mbl (texturised for 1, relaxed fore the other).+1 natural wl (she protective styles 365 days à year 24/24h.

and im struggling here.....lol
But im happy im past apl. IT happened

The crown is awful! Mine splits, SSKs and breaks even without manipulation! Too wet with water? Breaks. To dry? Breaks! Ugh! Mine is a mullet too. :(

The protein has helped it and also keeping on top of dusting. But it's always dicey.

The crown is awful! Mine splits, SSKs and breaks even without manipulation! Too wet with water? Breaks. To dry? Breaks! Ugh! Mine is a mullet too. :(

The protein has helped it and also keeping on top of dusting. But it's always dicey.

Exaclty the same happening to me. I sometimes Feel like texlaxing that part.

Does anyone here use Aphogee several times a year? I haven't used mine since March so 8 weeks+ and I'm not sure if just light proteins once a week is good.... hmmm

Does anyone here use Aphogee several times a year? I haven't used mine since March so 8 weeks+ and I'm not sure if just light proteins once a week is good.... hmmm

I use apoghee 2 minutes every 2 weeks (i wash every 2 weeks).
My hair does Well like that.

The apoghee 2 step worked Well twice then never did after so i prefer light protein.

When i want something to strenthen my hair i henna and it turns out great!

Last edited:
I use apoghee 2 minutes every 2 weeks (i wash every 2 weeks).
My hair does Well like that.

Unfortunately, the 2 minute has -cones and mineral oil and I'm cone-free so can't use that one I'm afraid. :) I meant its big sister 2-step?

My hair had beast retention when I was using it but I'm not sure if I'll be overloaded if I go back... is it okay to use one heavy protein every 6-8weeks and a ultra-light reconstructor every week? Or does the regular reconstructor cancel out the need for a heavy protein? AAAAARGHH, so confused! Every time I feel like I'm knowledgeable enough, something new comes along! :ohwell:

Unfortunately, the 2 minute has -cones and mineral oil and I'm cone-free so can't use that one I'm afraid. :) I meant its big sister 2-step?

My hair had beast retention when I was using it but I'm not sure if I'll be overloaded if I go back... is it okay to use one heavy protein every 6-8weeks and a ultra-light reconstructor every week? Or does the regular reconstructor cancel out the need for a heavy protein? AAAAARGHH, so confused! Every time I feel like I'm knowledgeable enough, something new comes along! :ohwell:

I use Dudley DRC28 every once a month and gbp every week. my hair is fine and highly porous. If i don't do it, it is splitville of all sort.

I am switching to komaza care, as ingredients are much better, it is not messy (cream).

I use Dudley DRC28 every once a month and gbp every week. my hair is fine and highly porous. If i don't do it, it is splitville of all sort.

I am switching to komaza care, as ingredients are much better, it is not messy (cream).

Oh good then :grin: I think I'll DC and co-wash a few times just to get my moisture levels up and then do Aphogee by the end of the week.

Sorry for late answer.
I used to do apoghee 2 step every 6-8 weeks + mild protein every 2 weeks.

I dont really need thé 2 step.anymore (i hate thé smell and.that sticky feeling )

I.now use.thé 2 min apoghee every 2 weeks + another.product that works like à hard protein thats from loreal.
Great

Checkin in, ladies! how is everyone doing??

Just rinsed my henna. Im learning more and more about my hair as I go along. This henna really is the key to managing my relaxer stretches. It really loosens up my NG. I am 10 weeks post as of thursday and scheduled to relax at 14 weeks.

I have to work harder to stay on a henna schedule. I really need to do it at least every 2 weeks. This might help me to stretch longer.

Anyone doing henna this often? How is it going for you? Any problems with excessive shedding between treatments?

I am also going to monitor my shedding for the next two weeks.

I have done henna every 2 weeks on my natural hair. No issues. That often, it tends to loosen the curl pattern, which is probably why you're ng is easier to deal with. No excessive shedding, but then again, I use a tea spritz to moisturize most days so that's never a problem.

I did a "medium" protein treatment today....keracare Restorative treatment. I didn't really like it very much after air drying/bunning for a week straight, but it's bomb after using any form of heat (Indirect or direct). I will be using it again next week because I am Rollersetting again.

Also, laylaaa I am texturized and only do hard protein treatments before and after TU's (every 10-16 weeks). However I do use light to medium treatments in the meantime because with out it my hair would be a tangled limp mess :yep:. I am also silicone free and suggest you try either Joico K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor or the Sally's Beauty Supply GVP Version Of it (I use this one). Its a medium-ish treatment that is suitable for weekly use and I LURVES IT! I have 2 bottles of it in my stash as we speak lol.

Back