The orginal Fine hair thread 2013

So glad that I found this thread. I am both fine haired and low density. I get so jealous of those ladies with those thick, luscious twists, but I work with what I got. * sigh * Going back to read the thread.

Welcome in. I also envy that thick.hair is not as fragile as fine hair....but i detangle fast with my fine hair so i'll just stick to what i got

I wish my hair looked like that in flat twist. That's really pretty!

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my SPH-L900 using LHCF

Thank you. It was first time flat twisting. :-)
Its faster than cornrowing for me. Im not à big expert at doing hair styles that need braiding/twisting and all. I need to learn.
I have nice ideas but i know on my fine hair they wont come out thé way i want.

So I've been lazy and haven't hendigo'd like I wanted yet plus I was OOT so I will get to it eventually. I have been wanting to continue to wig it but I find for some reason my hair hasn't been taking cornrows too well. Ugh so I've been doing twist outs and wNgs that have been just meh to me but it's been working.

HPG

If i wash n go im in trouble. Knot city.

when i used wigs for ps i hadron.breakage at my hairline. After reading other threads thé ladies said i should not.braid thé same way underneath. Especially backwards which i only used to do. Im gonna try wigs again but cornrow differently.

Im prepooing right now with some left over hair trigger oil. I plan to Hendigo tonight but I sure dont feel like it.

Its my first time doing indigo...i usually do glosses when I do henna and I get really good color because I high po. But Im worried that my grays wont get fully covered; Im going for dark brown.

hairpleezgrow
Do you put conditioner or anything else in your Hendigo? If so, how deep is your color and does it cover your grays?

Oh girl. I used to love changing styles and color . I forgot all that. My job doesnt allow anything except à chignon or loose hair up to sl maximum (nl better for them)

Im getting bored with this hair and feel like just relaxing it...
I cant even.wear à curly hairstyle. Boring boring...

If i wash n go im in trouble. Knot city.

when i used wigs for ps i hadron.breakage at my hairline. After reading other threads thé ladies said i should not.braid thé same way underneath. Especially backwards which i only used to do. Im gonna try wigs again but cornrow differently.

Can you tell me which direction are we to braid please? I love keeping my wigs in but I need to find a good braid pattern for my hair. TIA!

HPG

Can you tell me which direction are we to braid please? I love keeping my wigs in but I need to find a good braid pattern for my hair. TIA!

HPG

I heard that for thé crown we should braid going from.forhead down thé sides up to thé ears. I dont.know.if you see what i mean?

Last edited:
Im searching for à way to dry my hair without heat. I usually blow dry tension method every 2 weeks. Maybe if i cut it down i will have less split ends. (although i dust to prevent as Nonie advises).
I might try air drying again...im gonna try using glycerine+water +oil mixture again). I never seemed to get thé mix perfect avoiding sticky hair.etc...except once without even writing down the amount used. Oh Well...

I remember my first years of hair journey i used glycerin and water.hair was over moisturized but.i was not doing real protein treatments.

This hair does good when stretched with heat but maybe that is.what is slowing down my rétention?

Also...what is à good leave in for fine hair?i thought of giovanni direct leave in. I think its 50/50 moisture -protein isnt it?

Ive got à question :when you finish washing hair..do you dry thé hair,then add leave in? Or add moisturizer. Or both,then seal.

Do you just dry and seal?
Im always confused at thé after wash part...

coolsista-paris, have you tried a ready-made glycerin product like S Curl? I always think folks mess up trying to be mixologist which seems risky to me when scientists and pros have already done all the work for you. Why experiment and risk getting it wrong when there are already tried and true products that contain those things on the market?

I don't know about the Giovanni leave-in you asked about.

What is the difference between leave-in and moisturizer? IMO a moisturizer is a leave-in coz you don't wash it out, so never understood why people treat the terms as two different things.

When I am wearing my hair loose, if I don't have to go anywhere, I'll airdry in braids then add my moisturizer afterward. I don't seal. If I have to be somewhere, I will apply my moisturizer to towel dried hair so I am able to comb it and then reapply moisturizer later when I return home at which time most of the moisture seems to have evaporated along with the water. I don't moisturizer again until next wash day.

Im searching for à way to dry my hair without heat. I usually blow dry tension method every 2 weeks. Maybe if i cut it down i will have less split ends. (although i dust to prevent as Nonie advises).
I might try air drying again...im gonna try using glycerine+water +oil mixture again). I never seemed to get thé mix perfect avoiding sticky hair.etc...except once without even writing down the amount used. Oh Well...

I remember my first years of hair journey i used glycerin and water.hair was over moisturized but.i was not doing real protein treatments.

This hair does good when stretched with heat but maybe that is.what is slowing down my rétention?

Also...what is à good leave in for fine hair?i thought of giovanni direct leave in. I think its 50/50 moisture -protein isnt it?

Ive got à question :when you finish washing hair..do you dry thé hair,then add leave in? Or add moisturizer. Or both,then seal.

coolsista-paris
You might like this moisturizing spritz recipe. I use this to moisturize during the week, as a leave in or anytime.

1 tsp glycerin
2 oz Rose water
4 oz Aloe vera juice
1 tsp Silk amino acid powder

I haven't tried on wet hair but this spritz makes my hair LOOK wet. I mostly air dry using a scarf to stretch the hair. A traditional leave in is meant to be used directly after your wash and condition.
Most can also be used to moisturize dry hair during the week. Creamy leave-ins seem to work best for me.

2 days ago, I washed my hair in sections for the first time. It helped me avoid the tangles. I also used a soft, cotton t-shirt for 1st time instead of a towel. I let the hair air dry some then added shea moisture transitioning milk to each section, then alma oil to seal. Then smooth back and tie on scarf.

I am not natural but many of the techniques really work for me

I was given the Direct Leave in by my sister as she hates it. It's really weird and I'm not sure it's that great for fine hair. :look: When you put it on wet or damp hair, it feels very sud-sy and shampoo like before drying limp. As in it doesn't feel like it could be convincingly moisturising which is what you would expect! When you put it on dry hair, it doesn't sink in either... it just forms a plastic film that smells like old shampoo. Blegh.

And I'm someone who usually LOVES Giovanni products.

I air dry to 50-60%. Then I apply the leave in or oil depending on if im doing LCO or LOC. As far as leave ins, my hair seems to like Hairveda Whipped Cream, Darcy's Pumpkin Seed, Be Mine Luscious. My fav Bss brand is Elasta Qp Mango Butter. My hair is not very picky though.

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

coolsista-paris

I got a free sample of Komaza Care coconut hair milk. I used this last night after rinsing my hendigo. Its really light and ultra moisturizing. I have also heard good things about other products from them so you may wanna check them out.

Do you have shea moisture and nubian heritage available there? These products do double duty (leave in/dc, moisturizer/leave in/dc, moisturizer/rinse out, moisturizer/styling custard/hair dressing etc). I love them all!! Their reasonably cheap and available all over

Im searching for à way to dry my hair without heat. I usually blow dry tension method every 2 weeks. Maybe if i cut it down i will have less split ends. (although i dust to prevent as @Nonie advises).

I just use plain water- I found it worked much better for me than water + something. Sometimes, I will use a "something" mix once after washing, then use water the rest of the time. Just using water eliminated the dryness causing buildup and my hair got and stayed moisturized much longer (the oil/butter was enough to help "retain" the water). Working the water in and just using a light amount worked the best for me- the water soaks in instead of evaporating and leaving the surface dry. I then follow with an oil.

For the drying part- I notice different things work for different people. Experiment to see whether your hair prefers that you put in your leave ins while soaking wet, after a towel dry, 50% dry, 90% dry, or 99% dry (not wet, but not bone dry- still cool to the touch).

I comb and braid my hair under comfortably cool running water to help smooth it. Using a medium tooth comb helps smooth as well. Then, I put my head through a t-shirt and tie it in the back with a pony tail to make my braids lay down. When my hair is nearly dry, I apply butter & oils, then rebraid.

If you are going to apply leave ins wet or quickly towel dried, use your leavein to help smooth your hair into braids (or twists).

Oh! And as you move away from using heat regularly, your hair will start to behave better air dried. It does take some time to figure out airdrying, but it is soooo worth it.

Last edited:
coolsista-paris

Well, as all us fine strands ladies know, our hair tangles like a *BLEEP*. So I've learned that for my hair to remain knot or tangle free I have to detangle once everyday or every other day. I've also realized that my fine strands love protein, so twice a month I do a reconstructive treatment to keep them nice and plumped.

I thought I was the only one that was experiencing so many issues with tangling. It tangles so easily and I also have to detangle once a day or it becomes a little matted. I need protein but I have to be careful to not use a too heavy protein treatment (like Aphoghee 2 Step). I have problems with my hair being weighted down quickly and can be hard to keep a curl sometimes. I have to be careful of shine serums because they add shine temporarily but then it dries my hair out. Ceramide oils are better to use if you need to smooth frizz and add a little shine.

hot_pepper96 you are not alone! My hair tangles like a ****. The longer it gets the more deliberate i have to be with it but it responds negatively to being detangled so often. I minimize combing my hair by keeping it stretched (blow out twice a month) and well moisturized. It loves protein so I have increased the frequency of protein conditioners and am seeing less knots.

Nonie
mshoney
Laylaa
Froreal3
KittyMeowMeow
EnExitStageLeft
hot_pepper96

Thanks to all of you for your answers and suggestions.

-I think i might try to continue my s-curl as usually.I will add it to my hair after towel drying it, then try sealing. I'll air dry then. After that if it doesnt stretch enough, i will blow dry on low hear (or cool) when its at least 70 % air dried.

If it comes out nice, then i wont need to air dry. Now i remember the first time my hair came out soooooo great is that i wanted to air dry at first...so i did it like to 80%, and when i undid my sections it was still wet so i then blow dried. My hair was sooo soft ! and i didnt need to much heat nor time on blow drying.

-Im gonna give up giovanni direct leave in after reading your comments
- I used to love elasta Qp mango butter, when i was relaxed.I didnt feel it did the same on my natural hair :-(
-Shea moisture and nubian heritage sounds yummy, id like to try some day. I havent seen that brand in Paris though :-( maybe i should search on an american or english website. Where do you ladies buy your online products? I only use I herb for vitamins.

-Protein is a must for me (twice a month), i love my apoghee 2 min that also helps detangle my hair.

-ceramids : i need to get back on that a little. i used to love Franck Provost ceramids conditionner.Such GREAT SLIP ! and hair feels moisturized after.

i cant wait for next wash day to try air dry 70-80% then light blow dry...or no blow dry.

the weather is supposed to get hotter in France (still waiting for the real hot weather to appear.......) I think i might have to wait before wearing wigs again...not sure

Doing a reconstructive treatment with Mill Creek Botanicals Biotin Condish. It has lots of yummy thickening ingredients and I really want to try to increase the volume in my hair.

I shed a lot naturally, always have. So to correct that I'll try to reduce my shedding with Tea Rinsing and garlic supplements. I'm also going to get consistent with my vitamins (Mineral Max and Viviscal). Castor oil will be my bestie again and I will apply my scalp oil 3 to 4 times a week (Hair Trigger Hair Growth Elixir).

@coolsista-paris, S Curl is not a product you use if you want stretched hair. S Curl is full of moisture so shrinkage is a guarantee. If you want your hair stretched use an oil or grease or waxy product.

This is what S Curl does to my hair and I braid it every night:
IMG_2134-vi.jpg

Not only is S Curl full of moisture but it has glycerin which is a humectant, meaning it draws moisture from the air into itself so you can't use it if you want stretched hair.

This is a coconut oil puff (hair isn't as shrunken as the S Curl puff):
etchedsectionofmoisturizedhair-vi.jpg

You would also get stretched hair if you applied serum to your damp hair and braided it to stretch and airdry. You'd have to apply it meticulously so the moisture is sealed in for soft hair that will stay stretched. You would have to use shampoo to wash it off before you can moisturize your hair again.

Last edited:
@coolsista-paris, S Curl is not a product you use if you want stretched hair. S Curl is full of moisture so shrinkage is a guarantee. If you want your hair stretched use an oil or grease or waxy product.

This is what S Curl does to my hair and I braid it every night:
IMG_2134-vi.jpg

Not only is S Curl full of moisture but it has glycerin which is a humectant, meaning it draws moisture from the air into itself so you can't use it if you want stretched hair.

This is a coconut oil puff (hair isn't as shrunken as the S Curl puff):
etchedsectionofmoisturizedhair-vi.jpg

You would also get stretched hair if you applied serum to your damp hair and braided it to stretch and airdry. You'd have to apply it meticulously so the moisture is sealed in for soft hair that will stay stretched. You would have to use shampoo to wash it off before you can moisturize your hair again.

oh ! :perplexed i was all proud of my new plans like a fool lol !

ok so, i might then have to just wash, condition, towel dry, add my ic fantasia (it gives my soft hair), then braid/band/twist... and air dry.

I'll try that next week. thanks a lot for correcting me.:yawn:

Ive always realized my hair is soft with serum but never thougt of moisturizing with water +serum to seal between washed. these are things i might need to try out.

Ok i.just did à porosity test... And thé strand just floats on water after 2 hours !!!!! and i had washed product from my hair. So its weard because i feel like my hair acts like high porosity ,it dries fast ... But then also acts low porosity so i really dont get it...

Im trying to understand more in order to know what to do

Last edited:
I USE THE porosity SHAMPOO only once a month.
Im trimming this month not every month.
I bought coconut oil pills (by accident)
break one open apply daily to my ends.
Hot oil, Tea & instant coffee REALLY shut the shedding down!:yep:
I may try to pre treat w the tea & coffee.
I found cheaper conditioners. cholesterol, suave VO5 conditioners.
WE CAN RETAIN length....
we just have to find what's gonna do for us

Ok i.just did à porosity test... And thé strand just floats on water after 2 hours !!!!! and i had washed product from my hair. So its weard because i feel like my hair acts like high porosity ,it dries fast ... But then also acts low porosity so i really dont get it...

My hair is porous and floats for days (literally). I don't think that test is reliable. I think the best way to determine your porosity is by simply observing how it acts, e.g., whether it dries quickly, loses moisture easily, etc.

My hair is porous and floats for days (literally). I don't think that test is reliable. I think the best way to determine your porosity is by simply observing how it acts, e.g., whether it dries quickly, loses moisture easily, etc.

Well, i will then not consider that test i guess. I do feel like dc does nothing for me and sits on my hair(low porosity )... Its weird. Ill just ignore thé porosity and try finding stuff that work.

Do you ladies think that if i Bc à second time or trim half my lenght will help this hair retain /grow better and fill in more?

Or im just waisting my time. (2 months ago i did already cut my bsl back to apl). And i dusted beginning of this month (june).

Do you ladies think that if i Bc à second time or trim half my lenght will help this hair retain /grow better and fill in more?

Or im just waisting my time. (2 months ago i did already cut my bsl back to apl). And i dusted beginning of this month (june).

Aye I don't know hun. I don't tell anyone to do major cuts...it seems as if you've already cut/trimmed a lot already.

HPG

coolsista-paris
I get the same thing!! When I do the test, my strands float; even after clarifying! This is supposed to mean a tight cuticle that wont allow moisture, chemicals and treatments to enter, i.e., low po but my hair acts high po. Ive been relaxed for years so Im sure there is damage from regular heat and chemicals prior to my HHJ.

Im now texturized. It dries really fast, it takes on relaxer, color, henna quickly and gets wet fast too. When I spray my moisturizing spritz, 2 sprays on a large section of hair actually soaks the hair!! Also, when I examine one of my shed strands up close, i can see the cracks and feel the bumpy parts when I slide it through my fingers.

I am pretty sure Im high po, but how do you explain the test?? I have a theory...
Since henna coats the cuticle I have been wondering if the henna treatments could be causing the low po/floating test results. I haven't done the test in more than a month but I still use henna regularly. It doesn't really matter how it comes out now because Im going by my hair's behavior.

I feel like Im getting better results from my hair lately

Back