The orginal Fine hair thread 2013

Can anyone tell me if splits are inevitable with fine hair? I trim about 1/4inch every other month. I cowash and dc regularly and I've been keeping my hair hidden under wigs all of this year except maybe 5 times I have done a wash n go. I keep my ends moisturized and hidden. But I'm examining my ends that I can see and it seems like every other hair has a split about 1/4inches. Do I need to be trimming every month?

HairPleezeGrow :wave:

When was your last trim or dusting? All ends get old and need refreshing with the shears eventually. Lol.

My ultra fine strands require it at 6 week intervals.

Tbh, 1/4 inch is peanuts. Take it off and you'll retain pretty much all your growth this month and next!

@HairPleezeGrow :wave:

When was your last trim or dusting? All ends get old and need refreshing with the shears eventually. Lol.

My ultra fine strands require it at 6 week intervals.

Tbh, 1/4 inch is peanuts. Take it off and you'll retain pretty much all your growth this month and next!

My last trim was probably end of March or early April. Yeah I'm going to trim tonight bc i plan on doing my 2nd hendigo tommorow. Thanks hun :yawn:

Sounds right on time around 6weeks!

Wanna hear continued updates on these hendigos please! I wanna try too!

Thanks I just trimmed and my hair feels gr8. I love the feeling and look of freshly trimmed ends. I will keep you guys posted on my hendigo. I already made my batch and will let it sit overnight. I might take pics with my actual camera of my hair right now so you guys can really see the color and then take pics after bc my phone camera just does not do it justice. I definitely think you should give it a go and see how you like it. Do you have any Indians stores locally you can get the items from?

Thanks I just trimmed and my hair feels gr8. I love the feeling and look of freshly trimmed ends. I will keep you guys posted on my hendigo. I already made my batch and will let it sit overnight. I might take pics with my actual camera of my hair right now so you guys can really see the color and then take pics after bc my phone camera just does not do it justice. I definitely think you should give it a go and see how you like it. Do you have any Indians stores locally you can get the items from?

Yep. We got an India town here. I buy all my.products there. i am sick of henna red. Doesn't look great on me. I wanna go black and never had jet hair before but from wearing weave :look: I can see black looks way better on me.

so researching hendigo and indigo here for now. Am anxious to see your results. Thank you in advance for sharing! :-)

Just recieved the Qhemet Burdock Root cream. OMG it melted through tangles and shed hair while my hair was dry. Can't wait to use it on damp hair:drunk: I don't think I've ever truly liked a cream so this is great.

I also have MopTop leave in, but I won't be using that till the next wash day which wont be for some time:look:

I found this on my shirt this afternoon :(

Brace yourself!

image-3503696119.jpg

WTF??? I wonder how many hairs are split like this? What can I do?? Im not cutting off my hair!! Ive just recently learned how to retain some length? HELP!!

mshoneyfly

I found this on my shirt this afternoon :(

Brace yourself!

View attachment 208359

WTF??? I wonder how many hairs are split like this? What can I do?? Im not cutting off my hair!! Ive just recently learned how to retain some length? HELP!!

The mid-strand split looks like mechanical damage. What tools are you using? The lower splits look like regular wear and tear that could be fixed with a dusting and moderate to strong rx treatment.

laylaaa

Ok I guess its time for a dusting! Im sure Im overdue. Im gonna have to dust all the way up the strand!

I have been having a lot of tangles lately and I guess I don't have enough patience when detangling. And Ive been putting off getting those seamless combs too.

laylaaa

Ok I guess its time for a dusting! Im sure Im overdue. Im gonna have to dust all the way up the strand!

I have been having a lot of tangles lately and I guess I don't have enough patience when detangling. And Ive been putting off getting those seamless combs too.

mshoneyfly what do you mean by "dust all the way up the strand"?

Hey Fine Sistas':hug3:

My hair has been doing well lately. I recently texlaxed and dusted my ends and was elated at home much had to be taken off.

2013-04-27_15.01.58.jpg

Heavy sealing if def. the bid'ness. My hair prefers a bit of weight. If I don't my hair easily tangles and is prone to knotting. Does anyone find this with their hair?

Thanks for clarifying EnExitStageLeft and saving me from a tongue lashing, lol :)

I posted in the coffee, tea, ayurvedic thread about the GF fall fight strand saver leave in. I really like it. I see Im gonna have to use it on a regular basis. It detangles, moisturizes and stimulates the scalp.

ETA: looks like you're doin well! I wanted to wait till I relax but looks like I gotta do it now :(

Last edited:
[USER=297946]EnExitStageLeft[/USER];18381775 said:
Nonie

She may be referring to the twist and dust method. Its when you take a small section of hair, twist it and lightly dust the ends popping from the strand from the top to the bottom.

Here is a vid about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3C0ndGIZpg

I have seen it and think it is a horrible and dumb method. You end up cutting whole strands. All the strands that stick out are whole strands and if you don't believe me, grab one and let go the other hairs and see what you are left with. That method is just as bad as stylists burning off flyaways after doing braids.

Your strands are at different stages of growth so if you twist a chunk of hair, of course shorter stands wil stick out. Doesn't mean they are split. In fact those shorter strands are in better shape than the longer ones since they have not been around long.

Let's also consider this: suppose she was to go strand by strand and zone in on actual splits and cut out the arms sticking out on each strand. I am not sure what that will help with. You still leave behind a weakened stand that is likely to break at that point of weakness.

Dusting the ends seems to be the best mobe then baby your strands while:

- using some cosmetic product that coats strands and temporarily "fixes" the split;
- using seamless combs and low manipulation till you can cut them off is best...

...till you can cut them off.

Problem is splits don't wait for you to get your hair to where you don't mind cutting it. Once a tear occurs, it continues to grow bigger. The only way to stop it from growing bigger is to cut above the fork. When this is at mid-strand, it gets complicated but it doesn't change the fact that leaving it there means continued damage. Practicing the low mani and coating may slow down damage but don't be surprised if hair breaks off on its own. That is why virtuenow did a big chop after Komaza folks showed her the damage in her hair.

Last edited:
EnExitStageLeft

My hair loves heavy sealing. During the first two years of my hair journey my regimen included daily moisturizing of my ends and heavy sealing with butters. I don't know why I ever stopped but I'm taking it back to those days and incorporating butters. I ordered pumpkin seed butter, avocado butter, sweet almond butter, and hemp butter. My hair likes to be coated.

I've also decided to do a 6 to 8 week micro trim schedule and take off 1/4 inch each time like DarkJoy. I took off about 1/4 last night. My ends look better already.

Has anyone invested in quality hair shears?

EnExitStageLeft

My hair loves heavy sealing. During the first two years of my hair journey my regimen included daily moisturizing of my ends and heavy sealing with butters. I don't know why I ever stopped but I'm taking it back to those days and incorporating butters. I ordered pumpkin seed butter, avocado butter, sweet almond butter, and hemp butter. My hair likes to be coated.

I've also decided to do a 6 to 8 week micro trim schedule and take off 1/4 inch each time like DarkJoy. I took off about 1/4 last night. My ends look better already.

Has anyone invested in quality hair shears?

Is $14.99 considered quality?

LOL. That's pretty much what I spend on the conair shears at Target. :lol: Speaking of, I meant to dust 1/4 inch last week. It's time to do it because just about that much feels raggedy at my ends. Plus they are starting to web together. And it's only been 6 weeks since the last dust! It's always ontime...

LOL. That's pretty much what I spend on the conair shears at Target. :lol: Speaking of, I meant to dust 1/4 inch last week. It's time to do it because just about that much feels raggedy at my ends. Plus they are starting to web together. And it's only been 6 weeks since the last dust! It's always ontime...

:Yep: thats where I got mine from. They work just fine, thank you very much

Subbing to this thread!! Im not sure if I have fine hair or not but I think some of these methods are great. Im going to try them and see if they stop my breakage.

I bought my shears from Folica with a 25% off coupon and they had free shipping for elite members at the time, so I only paid about 14 bucks for them. Love em'!

:lol: If it works then it's quality. I'm working with some $3 Annie shears from the BSS. The grip is awkward (maybe because I'm a leftie). :ohwell:

DarkJoy :
Thé only way i can get that clip on ny hair is by straightening it.

Have you ever tried it on straight puffy hair?

This was last year.i loved it. I MIGHT try this in summer.

ForumRunner_20130511_013622.jpg

Im trying to protective style like crazy! So ive become boring on styles these months...

Last edited:
DarkJoy :
Thé only way i can get that clip on ny hair is by straightening it.

Have you ever tried it on straight puffy hair?

This was last year.i loved it. I MIGHT try this in summer.

Im trying to protective style like crazy!
forget the clip cuz your hair is so pretty! Lol. You have more density than me. It's twice as thick. This thin and those clips just just of hang.

My hair is just not long enough yet either. Maybe in 6 months I can try

forget the clip cuz your hair is so pretty! Lol. You have more density than me. It's twice as thick. This thin and those clips just just of hang.

My hair is just not long enough yet either. Maybe in 6 months I can try

Thanks for thé compliment.
If your not ready yet then yeah try in à feW months.

If you do.straighten it dont do.it.bone straight .i had moisturized with s curl 2 days after flat ironning. It makes my hair poofy and bigger. Then i braided it over night. Thé next day and days after it comes out like in thé pic. I added oil to seal the s curl by thé way.

My hair does better straight... I so feel like relaxing or texlaxing ...but then thinking of fine hair stops me. Im scared so...ill just flat iron every now and then.

Changing to all styles with my straight relaxéd hair is something i miss. It seemed easier and faster to deal with...oh Well :-/

How often are the ladies with natural, fine, 4 hair cleansing/detangling your hair?

I wash and Dc twice a week.
Once with a light protein on dry hair (GPB) and the other with a moisturising DC.
I wil throw a cowash in between, without detangling.

Back