The Official 2006 sew in/weave challenge

Hi ladies, I'm actually doin the crown and glory challenge, but I have the urge to change my look for spring. I want to do a sew-in for the next few months. I saw some hair I wanna try:

I want the nubian curl 12in weave.
http://www.nubiankinks.com/hair.html

what do you think?
Has anyone ordered from them before? How's the hair quality?

Hello ladies :wave:
I love this thread, I am so glad that i took the time to read it.
I am so confused right now.

I've been growing out for about 11 weeks right now. No drama, no more breaking or shedding, my hair is always moisturized and never tangles.
But I look real raggedy and I am fed up using my growing out period as an excuse to look bummy :lol:

Next weekend I am getting a free weave by my hairdresser. I just didnt see how I could get the weave and continue to treat my hair etc with the weave in. But now that I've read you guys' responses I am convinced.

The next thing is that i have ALWAYS worn my weaves the same way.. (see avatar) That's me and my hair FOREVER amen! :lol:
the downside to that is that I have always had the center out and that part of my hair is now catching back, it's now growing, it had gotten about 2 inches in length when I realised what was going on.

So now down to the stuff... I am going to get the weave in, but I want a full weave and because I have a box head, full weaves look bumpy and coneheadish..
I saw some of the curly styles that you guys have, and the closest I have come to experimenting with that is the Sensationnel Instant Weave HZ7021. I look real pretty with it, but the combs in the front and back really bother my scalp.

Please tell me what kind of hair I would need to get that kinda look in a full weave?
I really dont want to sacrifice the new growth... my hope has been to continue stretching till April 16th. Ive come so far I dont want to turn back now.

Then, what Flat Iron can I get, that's cost effective and I can pick up at a BSS or Sally's would you recommend? So that I can keep the front naps in check!? :lol:

I am really anxious to get responses!

Trini, if whom ever is doing ur hair makes a full head look coneheddish..then they are braiding your hair underneath wrong.. there is a specific way, a few as a matter of fact, to combat that conehead look..anyhoo..how about a cornrowed style, where it is braided in the front and weaved int the back...just try to get all that hair covered up..i used to do partial weaves for sooo many yrs, and no matter what i did, i could never get that part of my hair to grow out as long as the rest of the hair that was protected..
what kinda hair u ask...i get my hair from here in NY..i dunno if u wanna mail order..

asummertyme said:
Trini, if whom ever is doing ur hair makes a full head look coneheddish..then they are braiding your hair underneath wrong.. there is a specific way, a few as a matter of fact, to combat that conehead look..anyhoo..how about a cornrowed style, where it is braided in the front and weaved int the back...just try to get all that hair covered up..i used to do partial weaves for sooo many yrs, and no matter what i did, i could never get that part of my hair to grow out as long as the rest of the hair that was protected..
what kinda hair u ask...i get my hair from here in NY..i dunno if u wanna mail order..

I dont do mail order, and I am coming to NY next week Friday night, and getting my hair done in Brooklyn on Sunday.
SHe has never done a full head for me though, I'm gonna call her now and ask her about it. Because I refuse to have my hair all different lengths forever.
The conehead cost me $150 here in philly, wiht no hair or relaxer included, I was NOT happy. It looked like a wig, and I had hair left out in front which didnt blend well at all.

bmoreflyygirl said:
LOL yeah I have a fro under here too. When I took that red hair out my cornrows were still intact bc they were only 3 weeks old so I sewed the french wave on top. I think I'm on week 6 or 7 now and it's a jungle under there! :lachen:

chile who u tellin...:D ..when i 1st fid my hair, it was below my shoulders..now it has grown up so much, the weave is bottom of neck length..:lachen: :lachen: a hot mess..i tell ya!

trinidarkie1 said:
I dont do mail order, and I am coming to NY next week Friday night, and getting my hair done in Brooklyn on Sunday.
SHe has never done a full head for me though, I'm gonna call her now and ask her about it. Because I refuse to have my hair all different lengths forever.
The conehead cost me $150 here in philly, wiht no hair or relaxer included, I was NOT happy. It looked like a wig, and I had hair left out in front which didnt blend well at all.
if u are coming to NY , I can reccommend for strait hair..go to Mona's hair on flatbush ave..get the remy hair..it is the jAM!! I LOVE IT!
curly hair...always lugo's hair center for me..on snyder and flatbush.. hair lasts and lasts..4 eva!
find out how they braid the hair underneath, and maybe see a few pics if they have it..i know how u feel, i had someone do a conehead weave on me as well...

asummertyme said:
if u are coming to NY , I can reccommend for strait hair..go to Mona's hair on flatbush ave..get the remy hair..it is the jAM!! I LOVE IT!
curly hair...always lugo's hair center for me..on snyder and flatbush.. hair lasts and lasts..4 eva!
find out how they braid the hair underneath, and maybe see a few pics if they have it..i know how u feel, i had someone do a conehead weave on me as well...

Ill have to figure out how to get there, but how much do these weaves cost?

bmoreflyygirl said:
Thanks Kit Kat! :grin: That's actually a weave in that picture. It's Sensationnel Goddess Remy French Wave. This is the 3rd time I've reused it for a weave. It's held up pretty good. I don't think I'm gonna use it anymore though. It's starting to get a little dry and tangly. Ah well at least I got my money's worth...

Did you order it online or get it from a BSS? It looks really good.

You look too cute in your photo. Are you a model?

19sweetie said:
Did you order it online or get it from a BSS? It looks really good.

You look too cute in your photo. Are you a model?

Thanks! Yeah, I'm just getting started and trying to build my portfolio. I bought my hair from a BSS here, but I know that you can buy it from hairsisters.com.

trinidarkie1 said:
Ill have to figure out how to get there, but how much do these weaves cost?

well, the hair from lugo's , cost is by the ounce...i usuallly pay about 130.00 -140 , to do a full head of weave.. mona's hair is around 75.00 a pack...for 16-18 inches i believe..both of the hair stores are within the same area..across the street from each other infact.

asummertyme said:
well, the hair from lugo's , cost is by the ounce...i usuallly pay about 130.00 -140 , to do a full head of weave.. mona's hair is around 75.00 a pack...for 16-18 inches i believe..both of the hair stores are within the same area..across the street from each other infact.

Sweet girl, I dont know what kinda budget you working with, but I think I will just stick to my BSS yaki OUtre. I cant afford that.. no way sir!

I knwo I'm late ladies but I am wearing a sew-in/quick weave alternating method for the nest two years. My hair gets so dry that I have become a conditioning fool. Does anyone use oil sheen or spritz on their weave. I am tempted to try a closure piece. My hair frizzes if any is left out and it looks too wiggy when it's not.

Auntybe

trinidarkie1 said:
Sweet girl, I dont know what kinda budget you working with, but I think I will just stick to my BSS yaki OUtre. I cant afford that.. no way sir!
] it is expensive , but most of the BSS hair IMO sucks, and tangles and looks a mess after 2 weeks tops..im not saying all BSS hair, but in my expierience, damn near most..i pay alot for my hair, but this hair lasts me a very long time..i mean, i have had the same weave in my head now since january 1st..and it still looks good , and ima take it out..re braid it, and reuse the same hair ..the hair is worth it b/c it can be reused..i dont have a huge budget either..i just reuse the old hair i had previously..
but i do understAND.. everyone dies not have 140 bucks to splurge on hair...i feel ya..

Yeah asummertyme,
I Sure dont have that money to spend on hair like that.
The Yaki OUtre really does me good. And by week 2 I normally start wearing it in a ponytail anyway. I am soo simple! :lol:

Needless to say, I'm itching to put this relaxer in my hair and get my weave done.. I cannot wait!!

auntybe said:
I knwo I'm late ladies but I am wearing a sew-in/quick weave alternating method for the nest two years. My hair gets so dry that I have become a conditioning fool. Does anyone use oil sheen or spritz on their weave. I am tempted to try a closure piece. My hair frizzes if any is left out and it looks too wiggy when it's not.

Auntybe

auntybe..i do full head weaves..for moisture i use better braids spray..yeah, i used a closure peice b4 i learned how to doa full head of weave..mines came out ok..

asummertyme said:
Trini, if u are gonna weave ur hair..how come ur gonna relax it 1st?
are u getting a full head or partial?

Well, I dont like how my hair looks without the weaves.
It's at a weird phase right now, and although I use phony ponys and instant weaves, I was just stretching my relaxer for 12 to 16 weeks.
I'm at week 11 now and I'm tired of looking bummy everyday.

I know someone said that you could just relax the edges and leave the rest undone to be covered up by a weave. I'm scared :lol:

asummertyme said:
I only ask because, if ur gonna get a full weave, u can keep stretching your relaxer..

I was thinking abou that as well.
I have never ever gotten a full weave before. I think I have a big head and I dunno how that is gonna look.
Now I wear the curly instant weave by Sensationnel and it looks real cute, but I dont know if I can pull it off.

I cant have anything covering my forehead, I break out. And when weaves go all back they look bumpy :ohwell:

o i c...the last weave i had looked cone heddy too..i hated it!..i had always did my own partial weaves..but since i went natural i told myself that i dont wanna go thru the trail and error of some wack stylist who cant weave..that weave the stlist did , i had to wear a scarf, headband, hat..anything to cover the middle up...lol

Hi, weave ladies, yesterday, I went to my braider for my second full head weave of the challenge, I'll remove it the 20 april (6 weeks)!
Wish me luck!;)

Last edited:
Alright, I'm on weave #3 now. My first full head weave. I'm not really sure if I like it or not. I think it makes me look like I'm 12. :look: I've found that it looks better pulled back off my face. Besides the hair in my face was annoying me all day. The African ladies were arguing back and forth in French the whole time (only they didn't know I understood what they were saying) about how it should be cornrowed and once she was almost done she wanted to take the front down and start over bc she didn't do it right. I was like nah I'm ready to go I've already been here an hour longer than I should have. She was able to fix it and I'm glad that I finally have all my hair braided up. Hopefully it'll help the front to catch up. Ah well... like it or not it'll be in here for at least the next 5 weeks. :lol: Granted this hair doesn't get all icky. How are you ladies doing with your weaves?

hair.jpg

Last edited:
Well the first weave I had that I mentioned early on in the thread I didnt like so I took it out a week later. I have since been wearing my lacefront off and on and now have another weave. I went to Billy Jeans on 116th and got them to braid down my hair real small and I came home and sewed on the hair (Sensationnel Goddess Remi Yaki). I like it much better than the first weave. I'll have pics soon. I'm gonna try to keep it until the beginning of May.

I can't wait to take out my weave. I've been wearing straight back, but I have to put a headband in the front to hide the tracks showing. I can't wait until it's brastrap.

I have to postpone my full head weave for another week. I'll just keep wearing my INstant weave for another week and hopefully I'll get to Brooklyn next weekend and get my hair done then.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Alright, I'm on weave #3 now. My first full head weave. I'm not really sure if I like it or not. I think it makes me look like I'm 12. :look: I've found that it looks better pulled back off my face. Besides the hair in my face was annoying me all day. The African ladies were arguing back and forth in French the whole time (only they didn't know I understood what they were saying) about how it should be cornrowed and once she was almost done she wanted to take the front down and start over bc she didn't do it right. I was like nah I'm ready to go I've already been here an hour longer than I should have. She was able to fix it and I'm glad that I finally have all my hair braided up. Hopefully it'll help the front to catch up. Ah well... like it or not it'll be in here for at least the next 5 weeks. :lol: Granted this hair doesn't get all icky. How are you ladies doing with your weaves?

hair.jpg

I didn't know i'd be on the weave challenge, but here I am!!!
I got my weave 2 weeks ago, and i'll probably leave it in for another 4 weeks.
It's a full head, and I love it.
I'm just wondering about the girl who braided my hair.. she did it way too tight... my back and edges are going to be gone when I take this down...

BmoreFlyy.. can you tell me what kind of hair you have in your signiature? I love it, I think i'd like that for my next weave...

Oh yes ladies... I haven't read the whole thread... how do lace fronts work... as in, where do you get them, are they sewn into your hair?

I'd like to try this so that I don't put as much stress on my hair edges...
Any suggestions?

Yeah, what are lace fronts?

I should have thought about this a long time ago, but do any of you ladies know of a place to do a full weave here in Philly?
the last time I got a weave it cost me $150 with a lil wash, that was all. I cant afford that nonsense, esp if I have to buy hair too.
A full weave in brooklyn is $90 for the most. Talk about price difference.

trinidarkie1 said:
Yeah, what are lace fronts?

I should have thought about this a long time ago, but do any of you ladies know of a place to do a full weave here in Philly?
the last time I got a weave it cost me $150 with a lil wash, that was all. I cant afford that nonsense, esp if I have to buy hair too.
A full weave in brooklyn is $90 for the most. Talk about price difference.

My goodness! I would think a full-headed weave would be cheaper in a place like Philly. I'm in TX and the salons I've checked into in my city start at $150. I wish i could get it cheaper, but I'd have to drive 2-3 hours just to find someone who could do it cheaper, which is ridiculous.

I believe lace fronts are those weaves that look more natural b/c the scalp part is supposed to match your skin and is sometimes covered w/ makeup. Beyonce and Tyra both wear them sometimes. I'm not sure if I explained it carefully.

Hey ladies,

I'm in my 3rd sew in of the year. I have blond and brown hair that looks like a natural curly fro. It is a full head and I've gotten many compliments. I hope this hair can last me to the end of this month. Then I'll take it out and do the same type of hair in black. I am happy right now with this look. It also gives me an idea of how I'll look with my natural hair. For those who wanted to know what a lacefront wig is. It is a hand made wig that is supposed to be extra thin and look extra natural. You glue it to the sides of your head and you can wear it for a few days/ weeks like that. You can part your hair any where on the wig and it is the choice of many famous women when they want a quick new look. HHG

Back