The Official 2006 sew in/weave challenge

i have been convinced to take up this challenge too. i plan on getting my sew in next weekend. unfortunately, i dont know any place where i live that i can get the hair from. do any of you know of any hair websites that would send it?

danithefatty said:
i have been convinced to take up this challenge too. i plan on getting my sew in next weekend. unfortunately, i dont know any place where i live that i can get the hair from. do any of you know of any hair websites that would send it?

hairsisters.com
indianhairs.com
rkhair.com
extensions-plus.com

kit-kat said:
Thanks Bmore...I will try the Remy instead.

Update on the hair kit-kat, I saw my friend in class today and it looks a hot ass mess. It's been in a week and a half. She hasn't rewet it or anything. And I know she covers her hair up every night. FYI!! No one buy Outre Wet and Wavy!!!

thanks. how many packs should i order. last question (for the week), the place i go to for weaving, they normally let me tell them what i want to pay. how much should i say? i dont want to cheat them, but i dont want to pay too much either. thanks for all the help. i hope my weave comes out riz-ight!

danithefatty said:
thanks. how many packs should i order. last question (for the week), the place i go to for weaving, they normally let me tell them what i want to pay. how much should i say? i dont want to cheat them, but i dont want to pay too much either. thanks for all the help. i hope my weave comes out riz-ight!

I usually use 2 packs of hair for a weave. Of course I have a big dome. :lol: I think the average is maybe a pack and a half. As far as the price goes, I'm not sure. I usually pay the ladies at the African braid shop $80. That's coming with my hair already washed and blowdried and no cutting and styling. I know salons get out of hand with prices for weaves. I can't see paying more than $100 myself.

danithefatty said:

I usually use 2 packs of hair for a weave. Of course I have a big dome. :lol: I think the average is maybe a pack and a half. As far as the price goes, I'm not sure. I usually pay the ladies at the African braid shop $80. That's coming with my hair already washed and blowdried and no cutting and styling. I know salons get out of hand with prices for weaves. I can't see paying more than $100 myself.

this is getting better and better. i checked out the hairsisters site and for them to deliver it here before i leave for home is almost $50. for that the ups man better be coming here and sewing it in himsef.

Ok yall i will be reweaving my hair today, im leave this one in for 2 mos...same style as before..full head curly..that style wroks very well for me..by the time i take this weave out, i would have made my 1 year mark of totally natural hair, and i will take pics...happy weaving yall..
100_0636_Converted_Resized_2.gif...will be rerocking this weave here..

Last edited:
danithefatty said:
this is getting better and better. i checked out the hairsisters site and for them to deliver it here before i leave for home is almost $50. for that the ups man better be coming here and sewing it in himsef.

What? Thats ridiculous. You don't have a BSS nearby where you could buy some hair?

bmoreflyygirl said:
What? Thats ridiculous. You don't have a BSS nearby where you could buy some hair?

here? not at all. i go to college in a mostly white area :(. so...i asked my hair lady again and she misunderstood what i was saying. she said i didnt have to relax my hair to get the sew-in done. thats a plus. she said it would only cost $85 plus hair. thats good considering in ny it would cost be a lot more than that. ill let you know how this works. im getting it done next tuesday. as for this challenge...its may now so im going to stick with this challenge until december. i hope this works out.

Hey Bmore....I could not locate the Sensationnel French Wave locally. I may have to purchase the hair via Internet. Do you know of a specific website?

The BSS owner sold me this brand named Nefertiti Wet & Wavy. I may try this. My appointment is next Friday.

Is the hair suppose to look dry and wild (uncurly)? It looks nothing like the hair in your pic.

What products is best for bringing out the curl definition?

Last edited:
asummertyme:

What type of hair is that in your signature?

I have rejoined the challenge you can see my recent sew-in in my fotki.
I dont like it no more and am tryin to get some more hair and take this junk out.

kit-kat said:
Hey Bmore....I could not locate the Sensationnel French Wave locally. I may have to purchase the hair via Internet. Do you know of a specific website?

The BSS owner sold me this brand named Nefertiti Wet & Wavy. I may try this. My appointment is next Friday.

Is the hair suppose to look dry and wild (uncurly)? It looks nothing like the hair in your pic.

What products is best for bringing out the curl definition?

Hairsisters.com has it. The hair looks different in the pack. In the pack its more wavy and dry looking. It curls up once you wash it. I don't really use anything on it for curl definition. It curls up pretty good on it's own. I just rewet it when it starts to look fuzzy.

danithefatty said:
here? not at all. i go to college in a mostly white area :(. so...i asked my hair lady again and she misunderstood what i was saying. she said i didnt have to relax my hair to get the sew-in done. thats a plus. she said it would only cost $85 plus hair. thats good considering in ny it would cost be a lot more than that. ill let you know how this works. im getting it done next tuesday. as for this challenge...its may now so im going to stick with this challenge until december. i hope this works out.

Good luck. I hope you like it. $85 is reasonable. I usually pay $80. Most salons want upwards of $100.

I couldnt do my sew in for more than 6 weeks and I was dying. I couldnt get it washed clean enough and it was itching. I sweat so much in my head.

So I decided to revert to my half wigs, I just leave a lil piece out in front and i am good to go. Most likely I'll be reweaving in the Winter though. MOving back up to MN and I wont be having drama with my hair care due to the location.

hey ladies
i have a quick question.....when you cornroll your hair for the weave do you add some braiding hair to your hair before adding the tracks or do you just braid your own hair?

Here's the answer from another board:

Some say not to add hair to underneath cornrows, and some believe it strengthens it a little, I think if you can avoid it then do, as it does bulk up each row, but as long as the braids are not too tight, I don't see a problem after all weave is meant to be a protective style (as long as the braids are not too tight).

godsflowerrr said:
hey ladies
i have a quick question.....when you cornroll your hair for the weave do you add some braiding hair to your hair before adding the tracks or do you just braid your own hair?

Yes, it helps the braids to stay intact longer so it doesn't unravel during washing. I always have hair added to mines.

sassyhair said:
bmoreflyy,

what hair are you wearing in your grad pics?

Sassyhair,

It's Sensationnel Goddess Remi French Wave 14". There's some more pics in my fotki from other weaves that I had with that same hair.

I really like that hair bmore. I was wondering have you used virgin indian hair? I would think it will last longer than the kind you buy from the BSS.

sassyhair said:
I really like that hair bmore. I was wondering have you used virgin indian hair? I would think it will last longer than the kind you buy from the BSS.

Thanks! No, not from like indianhairs.com. But the hair that I have is Remi hair. They just happen to sell it at the bss.

got my first sew in on saturday. it looks good so far but i don't know about the hair, next time i'll get better hair but this time i was on a serious stretch of no time. i'll include pics when i get home

Hello Ladies....
I've been doing this challenge since January (consistantly) and am looking to revamp my regimen listed below.

1. relaxer touch up every 3 months
(12 weeks) for managability.
2. cornrolls, sew-in hair (3 months)
3. wash & deep condition under dryer
every 2-3 weeks
4. roller set "my" hair & blow dry weave
5. use a little parnevu oil in between braids
every 2 days. use ic hair polisher spray
shine and frizz-ease on the weave .
6. for styling, I alternate between curling
it (pin curls at night), wearing it
straight (wrap at night), or crimping it
to get a wavy look.

I'm interested in adding conditioner washes to my regimen as well. or any other methods to make my hair last for 3 months. I use milky way hair (a 14inch at the bottom and a streaked colored 12 inch on top for a layered look).

I got my hair relaxed and braided in January. I had lots of growth when taking it out in April and can't wait to see how much length I get when redone in July.

I will update everyone on the progress. unfortunately, I don't have an album but my hair pics can be viewed on the (musecube) link below.

Yeah so I've pretty much slacked on my regimen all together. I've been keeping my hair weaved with the exception of the few week break in between weaves, but I ran out of vitamins and Neosporin AF and never stocked back up bc I was short on cash. I've also decided to let the Dom salon texlax my hair once every 6 months. But as of June 1, I plan to get back on track. Last time I had my hair down it was grazing my shoulder so I'm almost to my goal. I'm hoping to have fully reached my SL goal by the end of the summer so from June 1 to the end of August should give me at least a 12 week time span.

My updated regimen:

Week 1: Sew In Weave - Wash and airdry as needed
Weeks 2-9: Use MN between braids
Weeks 10-11: Remove Weave and wear own hair with phony pony or quick weave
Week 12: Start the process over. Possibly trim if needed.

I'm also taking GNC's Hair, Skin and Nails and UltraNourishair supplements daily. How are the rest of you ladies doing? HHG!

Cooyah, be wary of scams and people who use others photos.

I would tell you to look for auctions with pics of the actual hair itself.
If you are looking for virgin indian hair at good prices then try indianhairs.com or rkhairproduct.com.

Rk has singledrawn hair that is remy meaning the cuticles are intact and all in the same direction. The doubledrawn is not remy.

Indianhairs single and double are remy. Doubledrawn means that the hair is cleaned up on the bottom for an even look.

sassyhair said:

If you are looking for virgin indian hair at good prices then try indianhairs.com or rkhairproduct.com.

Rk has singledrawn hair that is remy meaning the cuticles are intact and all in the same direction. The doubledrawn is not remy.

Indianhairs single and double are remy. Doubledrawn means that the hair is cleaned up on the bottom for an even look.

thanks sassy, are these products good for sew ins?

sassyhair said:

Double drawn hair means that the hair was drawn from more than one donor (Ie. shed hairs, hair from brushes and etc.) Single drawn hair is taken from one donor (ie. a ponytail taken from one person's head and then made into tracks). If it's taken from one head, all the cuticles will be facing the same direction. Double drawn may not be because it's all different strands of hair. I know that they try to put it back together but I think that the single drawn would be a better choice. At least you know it's all the same texture (unless the person had more than one on their head) HTH...

Yes indianhair depending where you buy from are good for sew-ins. There are lots of auctions on ebay for VIRGIN (meaning not chemically processed in any way) indian hair. Try Ioffer.com also, it is kinda like ebay.

Back