~*~*The Newly Natural Thread*~*~

the twistout on those janky twists that i did was really pretty! i loved it. the twistout convinced me not to give up on twisting. ♥

ZeeOl'Lady- My hair seems to like the same products that my transitioning hair likes as well. I haven't felt a need to switch up my regimen/ products, but I will re-evaluate in July and see how my hair is progressing.
Funny thing is, I went out and bought all new products...:ohwell:
They didn't work for me.
I then slowly went back to my pre-natural products and they work for me just as well as they did when I was relaxed.

I keep finding straight ends since I BC'd. I thought I did a pretty good job of clipping the stray ends the day after I BC'd but I guess not. Am I the only one that's dealing with this? I also clipped a few ends that I thought were relaxed only to realize that some of my hair is more of a loose texture than other parts.:ohwell: I'm not sure about the definition of "scab hair" or if it even exists. Is there a possibility that I may have some scab hair mixed in?

I keep finding straight ends since I BC'd. I thought I did a pretty good job of clipping the stray ends the day after I BC'd but I guess not. Am I the only one that's dealing with this? I also clipped a few ends that I thought were relaxed only to realize that some of my hair is more of a loose texture than other parts.:ohwell: I'm not sure about the definition of "scab hair" or if it even exists. Is there a possibility that I may have some scab hair mixed in?

No, you're not the only one, Platinum. It's normal to find "strays" several weeks after the BC. I BC'd on March 5th, and I'm STILL finding them. :grin:

As for your differing textures, that's normal too. My crown is a much tighter curl (and coarser) than the rest of my hair. So careful with cutting what you think are strays, because it could be your true texture for that section of your hair. :yep:

No, you're not the only one, Platinum. It's normal to find "strays" several weeks after the BC. I BC'd on March 5th, and I'm STILL finding them. :grin:

As for your differing textures, that's normal too. My crown is a much tighter curl (and coarser) than the rest of my hair. So careful with cutting what you think are strays, because it could be your true texture for that section of your hair. :yep:

ITA. I'm still clipping relaxed ends that I thought were gone. I too also notice that mixed in with my 4A hairs are some 3C hairs that are much straighter with less shrinkage and so they appear to be longer. I'm still not sure if I should cut those down anyway so that it will all look even with the shrinkage and all. Oh and I am seriously considering letting a barber friend of mine clean up my mini fro of the strays. I seem to recall however, someone saying how it wasn't a good idea to let a barber cut your hair. But I'm not sure why. Old timers:spinning:.....
Scab hair? Yeah I'm sure it exists and I probably have some too. Time will tell though.

ITA. I'm still clipping relaxed ends that I thought were gone. I too also notice that mixed in with my 4A hairs are some 3C hairs that are much straighter with less shrinkage and so they appear to be longer. I'm still not sure if I should cut those down anyway so that it will all look even with the shrinkage and all. Oh and I am seriously considering letting a barber friend of mine clean up my mini fro of the strays. I seem to recall however, someone saying how it wasn't a good idea to let a barber cut your hair. But I'm not sure why. Old timers:spinning:.....
Scab hair? Yeah I'm sure it exists and I probably have some too. Time will tell though.

I remember this happening to me so I stop cutting because it was actually place where my natural hair is straighter.

I am a fairly new natural..I BC'd back in Aug down to less than an inch on the sides and back and about 2 inches on top...
My regimen consist of:
washing with Loreal Sulfate-free shampoo
conditioning/co-washing with Victoria Secret's conditioners.
For defining I use KCCC or EcoStyler. I finally figured out how to use the KCCC correctly..When I first used it, it looked like I had shellac on my head but now I am in love with it..
Leave in/moisturizers- I mix conditioner and my coconut oil concoction and apply after washing, then spray Sta so soft fro or my juice mixture

I love my hair!!

I'm mashing up an avocado for a DC. I'll post up results after. I'm also 17 months post relaxer today!

Um yeah and it's bloody annoying.:rolleyes: I've ranted about it several times in this thread and transitioners support thread.

Done! The avocado treatment left my hair feeling great. It feels so soft and fluffy. The downside is even though I blended everything I have little avocado fibers in my hair. The teeny spirals at the end of my hair are acting like a little basket and trapping the little fibers. I'm going to be picking these out for a while lol
Maybe next time I'll put everything through a sieve before using it

Hey everybody!!! I am a newly natural as well! I have been slipping on my hair bc I always wants to wear it out and I havent been doing much protective styling!

I did my big chop Nov. 2009 transitioned for 11 months
I have very thick coarse hair type 4b
My NEW reggie will be dc once a week, protective style all week, moisturize and seal everyday
Wash n go's and twistout
Current length sl and short term goal is apl

Your photo album, if any

How's everyone's hair doing today?

I didn't do anything special. Just co-washed and bunned. I do everything to my hair in four parts, and I can stretch the back sections to about 1/2 inch above armpit in the front. I'm hoping to claim APL by the end of this month. *fingers crossed*

I didn't do anything special. Just co-washed and bunned. I do everything to my hair in four parts, and I can stretch the back sections to about 1/2 inch above armpit in the front. I'm hoping to claim APL by the end of this month. *fingers crossed*

Mine is good, just in a second day wash-n-go. I'm still really in love with my hair, and I think I've finally gotten over my hands in hair disease! :look: I could not stop playing with my hair and then it would get all frizzy.

Great thread idea! I love it! :)

Here's my info:

When you BCd- April 5, 2010 (so today is my 1 month natural mark!) :love:

How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd- 11 months, 3 days

Your hair type- Combination of 3a & b with some 2c in the back. My hair is very thick, medium to coarse & dense (lots of strands). I measured the diameter of some of my curls...most are 1 1/2-2 cm in length and a few around 3/4-1 cm. I don't know what that means though! Right now it's growing out in the top and down in the back b/c the back is longer (yes, I have the dreaded BC mullet :lachen: that will get evened out in a few months).

Your current regimen- Since my BC, I've been cowashing daily and wearing a wash n go or puff. My hair is very curly, so I've just been really doing a KISS regimen while experimenting with products. I usually cowash in the shower with HE None of Your Frizziness or Totally Twisted or Yes to Carrots or Suave Professionals Sleek or Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac or GF Triple Nutrition (basically, any condish that I am feeling at the time since I am still experimenting). I finger detangle in the shower after thoroughly saturating my strands with condish. I rinse with cool water and squeez excess water. I add some conditioner, SheaMoisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie &/or Eco-styler Gel and brush it through with my Denman to make my curls pop. I only have about 6 inches of hair (cut off 9 inches of relaxer), so it's still pretty short. I usually use GF Wax or Ecostyler Gel to slick my edges back and put the front pulled back into a hair zing and a slight wavy hump with the back out in a curl wash n go. At night, I sleep with a 100% silk scarf on.

Your favorite styles- wash n go, wet bun, mohawk wash n go, hair zing hump...can't do much with it at this length.

current length- SL in back, earlobe length on sides & eye length in front

goal length- MBL to WL stretched :drool:

Your photo album- in my profile

ETA: Curl diameter information.

Last edited:
· When you BCd -----September 2009

· How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd---- 6 months

· Your hair type---- Still trying to figure out my hair type, I would say a 4b-C or maybe a D:ohwell:???

· Curl pattern----- I have seen S, Z and O curl patterns…… if that makes sense

· Amount of shrinkage----- Major shrinkage when water touches my hair

· Your current regimen----- Don't have a set regimen, still trying out products to see what works for my hair. But I do wash my hair once per week.

· Your favorite styles--- twists under my wigs

· Your current length and goal length---- To be honest I am not really focused on the length right now, I am trying get my hair back to a healthy state. After that I can start working on the length, because with health comes length...right??.

· Your photo album---- none as yet, lost most of my bc pictures when my bb crash

Last edited:
Welcome!

Welcome ladies!

diva esq, you and I bc'd around the same time. I actually finished my BC the morning of the 5th. :yep: Your hair is beautiful and your reggie sounds so eaay-breezy!

island diva, your hair sounds similar to mine. I look forward to seeing pictures one day. :grin:

Okay here is my update:

1. When you BCd
April 30th, 2010

2. How many months post-relaxer were you when you BCd
15 months 1 week

3. Your hair type, preferably your hair's characteristics (strand size, density, curl diameter, amount of shrinkage, growth pattern-up/down, etc.) - a detailed description can help in evaluating product and regimen's possible effectiveness
My hair type is 4a/b, fine textured, medium density, very tight curls with an amazing amount of shrinkage. The hair on the top of my head grows up and the back of my head grows down. It's all mixed up like conch salad:giggle:.

4. Your current regimen
I use shampoo only once every 3-6 weeks depending on the amount of build up I have. I use very low manipulation styles like boxed braids and whole wigs.

I love Dcing my hair so I do those more often than I shampoo-about once every 7-10 days. When my hair is braided though I DC once every 2-2.5 weeks or so.

I do fit in some cowashing as well as needed. I use henna, indigo, and other ayurveda powders when I feel they're needed.

My products are mostly natural/organic with the exception of some commercial products like Joico and some Dominican hair products.

5. Your favorite styles
Boxed brraids and wigs and now wash and go every now and then. I protective style my hair often than not.

6. Your current length and goal length
My current length is shoulder length stretched and my goal length is BSL stretched. I think that by the time I reach collar length unstretched, I will probably be between APL and BSL because of the amount of shrinkage my hair has.

7. Your photo album, if any
My progress photos may be found in my fotki album in my siggy - no password needed.

^^^Thanks for posting your info, Aggie. lol@ conch salad.

For those of us who wear wigs, feel free to post pics of your faves and discuss how you handle wearing as a [newly] natural.

I'm wearing my hair in a wash-n-go puff. I need to start baggying and going back under wigs (I know, I know) because my ends are looking worn.

Congrats on nearing APL! :yay:

Re: Welcome!

Welcome ladies!

diva esq, you and I bc'd around the same time. I actually finished my BC the morning of the 5th. :yep: Your hair is beautiful and your reggie sounds so eaay-breezy!

island diva, your hair sounds similar to mine. I look forward to seeing pictures one day. :grin:

:hiya: BC twin! :D Thanks for the compliments! Simple is best for me.

Question: What does the curl diameter show?

It's been one week since I BC'd and I love being natural!:grin: I love wearing my afro out :afro: and puffs. I'm getting positive feedback from my male friends, my parents, and my children. So far, I have gotten a few dirty looks from other sistas (like :perplexed) and one of the female drivers in my company with relaxed ear length hair asked if I plan to get a straightening comb or flat iron for my hair.:rolleyes: I'm not worried about that, my hair is still longer than hers.:giggle:

I saw my best friend yesterday (male truck driver). He knew I was transitioning but hadn't seen me since I chopped. He was like :love: when he saw me. He said, "wow! You look beautiful! I love your hair like that, it really suits you". He also told me "Don't let anyone convince you to perm your hair again".

Re: Welcome!

:hiya: BC twin! :D Thanks for the compliments! Simple is best for me.

Question: What does the curl diameter show?

I'm pretty sure that curl diameter tells your hair type according to the Andre system. His system does not take into account factors like strand size, density, or texture. That's why some people have difficulty with hair typing because they want to include those other factors.

----

In a few days I'll be 19 months post relaxer and almost 2 months natural! I'm loving my journey thus far. I still haven't changed my regimen, but it seems to be working. I'm currently under the dryer now with coconut oil and Mane n Tail for my protein prepoo.

Back