The Myths of Hair School!

charmtreese

I’m paying about 20k to attend one of the “supposed” BEST hair school in my area. Going in I knew that some of the things taught there would go against what I have researched on my own via reading various hair care books and online, for the past 3 years. However I was unaware at how OFF some of the teachings would be. Some of the myths taught are ones we have heard before and others I believe are just plan ole’ lies made up by the instructor.

The myths of Hair School:

• You can not stop relaxing once you start or your hair will fall out! (This one pissed me off when she said it!!!)
  • You must lather your hair with shampoo at least 2-3 times per washing (Yup, I was rolling my eyes at this one too since I’m a avid WEN user )
  • No conditioner should be left in the hair for long periods of time. Can cause your hair to fall out!!! (However, I have slept in my conditioner with no problem)
  • Cream conditioners can cause your hair to thin!!!! (Okayyyy…..)
  • Thin hair is the same as fine hair, for black people….. (yep, she said this….I was like are you talking about texture or density? She said they are the same for black people, I said “I’m black and they’re not the same for me”! :nono:)

There are some other inconsistencies but these are the biggies!!!

I’m getting my teaching license as well, so hopefully I can clean up some of this mess!!!!!!!

It's good to see you plan on getting your instructor's license so you can hopefully de-program some of this stinkin thinkin for future students!

Creme conditioners like balsam? I remember when Black magazines got on the bandwagon that balsam was not for Black hair. You don't see it much anymore now. I think there was some truth to it. And many conditioning product instructions will indicate not to apply conditioner to the scalp, only on the ends and they definitely give a time frame to rinse out. I dunno, they do extensive research on those products. Kinda scary tho, because what are we using??? And yes, I've left in conditioner before. Now look at Mixed Chicks, Sedal, leave-in cremes...Black folx invented those. We used condish and applied so grease afterwards :lachen:They probably mean that it can get over-saturated with moisture. There are some threads on here that indicate folks got spongey hair doing too much and had to balance with protein.

About relaxers? I've heard so many hairdressers say this. It's got some truth to it. I think that it all depends upon the degree of the relaxing and natural texture. If bone straight and your natural texture is extremely 4b,4c, that will end up in breakage. You might be able to condition to the level that most doesn't break but there will be breakage. Maybe texlaxing is best. Guard your own research opinions and don't share there...somebody might steal them and get credit. When you're done, do actual research on a variety of hair textures...and we'll be awaiting your book and product line!!!!

I wish you well in your career. You go get 'em!

... And that folks, is a big part of the reason why so many of us don't have healthy hair :nono:

Barely anyone really knows how to handle our hair, even "professionals"

Wow! That's crazy! I just wonder how people like that instructor make it to that position to teach about hair. There's gotta be a way to point out how wrong this woman is. It would make me upset to hear that mess knowing that I'm paying $20K to attend the hair school. Just ridiculous. Hang in there, and when you become a hair instructor, you can teach them the right things.

That is crazy... that's why it's so hard to find a stylist b/c of inconsistent and poor information.
Next week she's going to advise that you must comb black hair w/ a rattail comb from root to end to get it straight. :grin: And all the breakage is just "shed hairs" and has nothing to do w/ the little comb raking through my head.:nono: That's what my last stylist said, so I never went back.

yea iight.... i knew those bad hair myths came from them schools...not all are bad but they really don't know dittly bout our hair care: clearly

Creme conditioners like balsam? I remember when Black magazines got on the bandwagon that balsam was not for Black hair. You don't see it much anymore now. I think there was some truth to it. And many conditioning product instructions will indicate not to apply conditioner to the scalp, only on the ends and they definitely give a time frame to rinse out. I dunno, they do extensive research on those products. Kinda scary tho, because what are we using??? And yes, I've left in conditioner before. Now look at Mixed Chicks, Sedal, leave-in cremes...Black folx invented those. We used condish and applied so grease afterwards They probably mean that it can get over-saturated with moisture. There are some threads on here that indicate folks got spongey hair doing too much and had to balance with protein.

About relaxers? I've heard so many hairdressers say this. It's got some truth to it. I think that it all depends upon the degree of the relaxing and natural texture. If bone straight and your natural texture is extremely 4b,4c, that will end up in breakage. You might be able to condition to the level that most doesn't break but there will be breakage. Maybe texlaxing is best. Guard your own research opinions and don't share there...somebody might steal them and get credit. When you're done, do actual research on a variety of hair textures...and we'll be awaiting your book and product line!!!!

I wish you well in your career. You go get 'em!

What I have a problem with is her blanket statements!!

Some conditioners say to rinse out in a few minutes, while others suggest you use heat and then there are those that say you can leave in overnight (ie WEN, Jessicurl)!!!

I just wish she would tell the whole story!!

It's just frustrating sitting in there and listening to stuff knowing it's incorrect! I try hard not to be the one and only student who is always questioning but when I "know" that something is wrong based on my experience and not just from what I have read it makes me sooo upset!!!

Wow! That's crazy! I just wonder how people like that instructor make it to that position to teach about hair. There's gotta be a way to point out how wrong this woman is. It would make me upset to hear that mess knowing that I'm paying $20K to attend the hair school. Just ridiculous. Hang in there, and when you become a hair instructor, you can teach them the right things.

Girl by the end of most nights, I'm so frustrated!!

My instructor has even made snide comments about me wearing my hair up!:wallbash: However, I have yet to see her real hair, it's always covered by quick weaves and bad sew-ins! :nono:

I’m paying about 20k to attend one of the “supposed” BEST hair school in my area. Going in I knew that some of the things taught there would go against what I have researched on my own via reading various hair care books and online, for the past 3 years. However I was unaware at how OFF some of the teachings would be. Some of the myths taught are ones we have heard before and others I believe are just plan ole’ lies made up by the instructor.

• You can not stop relaxing once you start or your hair will fall out! (This one pissed me off when she said it!!!)
  • You must lather your hair with shampoo at least 2-3 times per washing (Yup, I was rolling my eyes at this one too since I’m a avid WEN user )
  • No conditioner should be left in the hair for long periods of time. Can cause your hair to fall out!!! (However, I have slept in my conditioner with no problem)
  • Thin hair is the same as fine hair, for black people….. (yep, she said this….I was like are you talking about texture or density? She said they are the same for black people, I said “I’m black and they’re not the same for me”! :nono:)

I’m getting my teaching license as well, so hopefully I can clean up some of this mess!!!!!!!

:sad::sad::sad::sad:

What is the World?

The Marcel iron was invented in 1875........:burning:...and these schools still promote these torture devices..:nono::nono::nono:
No wonder so many women have had HORRIBLE salon experiences.:giveup:

Girl, I know that you will be a GREAT stylist. You have been LHCF trained! Keep us posted on the myths!!!:yep:

Girl by the end of most nights, I'm so frustrated!!

My instructor has even made snide comments about me wearing my hair up!:wallbash: However, I have yet to see her real hair, it's always covered by quick weaves and bad sew-ins! :nono:

just wondering is this instructor black? :sad:

I'm also happy your getting your teaching license. Good luck on cleaning these mess up I know it's not going to be easy :nono: . I was wondering do they teach any type of science behind hair care :scratchch? For example the things we learn here on LHCF, like about cones and other chemicals in shampoo, conditioners other hair products and how it effect the hair. Do they focus just on the chemical treatment such as perms, relaxers and hair color ?

Beauty schools need to bring the lessons up to the modern times. Geez. I cant believe they are teaching that mess!

I don't think they will, because its better to keep everyone in the dark. The more people in the dark, the more money the hair industry makes:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: . That just my little two cent .

That is crazy... that's why it's so hard to find a stylist b/c of inconsistent and poor information.
Next week she's going to advise that you must comb black hair w/ a rattail comb from root to end to get it straight. :grin: And all the breakage is just "shed hairs" and has nothing to do w/ the little comb raking through my head.:nono: That's what my last stylist said, so I never went back.

i have to take a stand. that is not always true. i attend cosmetology school and i was never taught those things. that might be going on at the school the OP attends, but not all schools share those same beliefs and practices.

That's your instructor's opinion right? and not what's in the text books, because I don't remember being taught that. Hwisemen does have a point.

I'm glad that you know better. Therefore you'll be able to do better. From experience some instructors are there to take your money. I'm glad that you are taking actions to correct a wrong.

i have to take a stand. that is not always true. i attend cosmetology school and i was never taught those things. that might be going on at the school the OP attends, but not all schools share those same beliefs and practices.

This is really good to know.....:yep:

I agree, all schools do not teach that same information. My did not. You have to remember every topic in school is subject to the instructors perspective and their opinion, just like here. Somethings here work for some members and some don't. It is all about their opinion. Keep doing your research and learn the correct information. Schools are teaching you what to pass state board, not how a real salon environment is. That you will have to learn on your own when you graduate.

are they teaching you abot black hair? I know when my mom went to beauty school to become a cosmetologist she said they didn't teach anything about black hair which sucked but she learned as an apprentice.

yeah become a teacher and help to product more skilled cosmetologists.

Do they teach salon management as well?

Not to overbook clients, overhead costs and what to charge in today's market according to location?

My old stylist said that her instructors told them what they should be charging for chemical services and such but she knew better than to charge that rate based on where she was renting her salon AND her clientele. She knew that charge would not go well based on HER clientele.

You need to learn the textbook reason for everything. Forget LHCF because when you sit for that stateboard exam, the answer will not necessarily be what makes sense.

By no means am I claiming that this is how all schools are or all instructors. This is my second time in cosmetology school, I took it once in high school (had a great experience), and then decided to go to college and never went to state board. 10 yrs later I decided that I wanted to go back to cosmetology school.

I just expected more for the price!:look:

That's your instructor's opinion right? and not what's in the text books, because I don't remember being taught that. Hwisemen does have a point.

Exactly, but that's the problem! A lot of the students there take her word as the gospel without questioning. The books are great tools, however they do not go in depth about products, ingredients, hair types, and how to maintain healthy looking hair and that's where she steps in with her "TRUTHS"!

I agree, all schools do not teach that same information. My did not. You have to remember every topic in school is subject to the instructors perspective and their opinion, just like here. Somethings here work for some members and some don't. It is all about their opinion. Keep doing your research and learn the correct information. Schools are teaching you what to pass state board, not how a real salon environment is. That you will have to learn on your own when you graduate.

You are absolutely right! And I will continue my hair care studies outside of school. The books are designed for state board, but that extra mess she is spewing out of her mouth will hinder a lot of her students!

are they teaching you abot black hair? I know when my mom went to beauty school to become a cosmetologist she said they didn't teach anything about black hair which sucked but she learned as an apprentice.

yeah become a teacher and help to product more skilled cosmetologists.

We do have a module on "Ethnic hair care". However, I have not taken that course yet.

Last edited:
Back