The Myths of Hair School!

You need to learn the textbook reason for everything. Forget LHCF because when you sit for that stateboard exam, the answer will not necessarily be what makes sense.

I completely agree! Like I stated earlier this is my second time around in cosmetology school. I get the book info for the most part, I just have issues with the instructor's little extras!!

Do they teach salon management as well?

Not to overbook clients, overhead costs and what to charge in today's market according to location?

My old stylist said that her instructors told them what they should be charging for chemical services and such but she knew better than to charge that rate based on where she was renting her salon AND her clientele. She knew that charge would not go well based on HER clientele.

Yeah, they do! We have a whole different text book for this!

I’m paying about 20k to attend one of the “supposed” BEST hair school in my area. Going in I knew that some of the things taught there would go against what I have researched on my own via reading various hair care books and online, for the past 3 years. However I was unaware at how OFF some of the teachings would be. Some of the myths taught are ones we have heard before and others I believe are just plan ole’ lies made up by the instructor.

The myths of Hair School:

• You can not stop relaxing once you start or your hair will fall out! (This one pissed me off when she said it!!!)
  • You must lather your hair with shampoo at least 2-3 times per washing (Yup, I was rolling my eyes at this one too since I’m a avid WEN user )
  • No conditioner should be left in the hair for long periods of time. Can cause your hair to fall out!!! (However, I have slept in my conditioner with no problem)
  • Cream conditioners can cause your hair to thin!!!! (Okayyyy…..)
  • Thin hair is the same as fine hair, for black people….. (yep, she said this….I was like are you talking about texture or density? She said they are the same for black people, I said “I’m black and they’re not the same for me”! :nono:)
There are some other inconsistencies but these are the biggies!!!

I’m getting my teaching license as well, so hopefully I can clean up some of this mess!!!!!!!

thank God you are getting your teaching license!!!! thats what i call doing something about the problem!!! oh and what is WEN - i see it in so many threads but have not clue what it is.

Back