The Enjoying Our Hair Thread

How Often Do you Enjoy Your Hair?

• Everyday

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Frequently(Once a week+ but not every single day)

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Regularly(at least once a month but not as often as once a week +)

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Sometimes( 6-11 times a year)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Infrequently(3-5 times a year)

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Rarely (0-2 times a year)

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
I don’t really wear my hair out at all like I used to. I might try once I get to bsl
How are you enjoying your hair where it is in the here and now? What piece of your regimen, quality of your hair, or experience is positive for you presently? Maybe there is something that makes you smile in the planning stages and I would love to hear it! One of the main reasons I wanted to start this thread is there is a trend of people being really frustrated with their hair and hitting roadblocks because of that, but if you enjoy the journey to BSL, not only will that help curb frustrations, it will help you develop the type of positive habits that will assist you in maintaining and exceeding your goals. So what are you enjoying hair-wise and what is working within your regimen right now?

Last edited:
I REALLY enjoyed my press. I had intentions of stretching it to week 5, but I could feel the dryness in my hair. It was very soft and looked fine, but internally dry hair leads to my hair tangling more. I tried to see if I had hope of extending it by moistening it with a leave-in conditioner and installing heatless curls with my invisbobble roller. The style came out nice, but the leave-in was not penetrating my hair effectively. So I washed my hair, deep conditioned it, and stretched it.

Few things feel better than a good wash day and after 3 weeks and 6 day press. I really enjoyed the wash. I will keep my hair stretched in braids, revved, sets and other low-no heat stretched styles until I straighten for my “end of the year” trim. That should keep split ends or SSKs from reappearing.

I included a picture of my one-day style from yesterday. Super cute. Just not moisturized enough to keep for the full week.

Attachments

• One Day Curls.png
    One Day Curls.png
    769.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Before the curls dropped.png
    Before the curls dropped.png
    446 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
How are you enjoying your hair where it is in the here and now? What piece of your regimen, quality of your hair, or experience is positive for you presently? Maybe there is something that makes you smile in the planning stages and I would love to hear it! One of the main reasons I wanted to start this thread is there is a trend of people being really frustrated with their hair and hitting roadblocks because of that, but if you enjoy the journey to BSL, not only will that help curb frustrations, it will help you develop the type of positive habits that will assist you in maintaining and exceeding your goals. So what are you enjoying hair-wise and what is working within your regimen right now?
I don’t really like wearing my hair out. It gets very frizzy and the style gets ruined unless it’s in a wash and go

I don’t really like wearing my hair out. It gets very frizzy and the style gets ruined unless it’s in a wash and go

No worries. Once you identify a style you like, have a good wash day or have a good hair day, please post it. Any way you enjoy your hair will be a good post and there are many, many options beyond wearing it out that allow you to step into those enjoyable hair moments.

No worries. Once you identify a style you like, have a good wash day or have a good hair day, please post it. Any way you enjoy your hair will be a good post and there are many, many options beyond wearing it out that allow you to step into those enjoyable hair moments.
I do enjoy washing my hair. It is kind of fun trying new products for that part of my routine. Styling my hair is a different story. I used to do all of these styles, but these days I can only muster up a bun or ponytail lol. Its my go to look. I am taking a break from fake hair for a while though because it makes me get unnatural textures or volume and I end up having feelings of inadequacy about my hair. Right now I'm so pleased that i can wear an even bigger donut bun and now I don't feel the need to wear a fake ponytail all of the time an more. I will probably save them for an event or when I want a little oomph lol

I do enjoy washing my hair. It is kind of fun trying new products for that part of my routine. Styling my hair is a different story. I used to do all of these styles, but these days I can only muster up a bun or ponytail lol. Its my go to look. I am taking a break from fake hair for a while though because it makes me get unnatural textures or volume and I end up having feelings of inadequacy about my hair. Right now I'm so pleased that i can wear an even bigger donut bun and now I don't feel the need to wear a fake ponytail all of the time an more. I will probably save them for an event or when I want a little oomph lol
Love the good wash day and growing bun! With the ponytails...there is nothing wrong with saving a few extras for later! One of the things I love about you mentioning enjoying was day is it is one of the aspects of hair enjoyment you can tap into more frequently for enjoyment! So that is a lovely area of enjoyment to have.

Last edited:
I like this thread!

For years, as I grew out my relaxer, I used to bun almost every day. I liked my buns, but I got to the point where I wanted to enjoy my hair by wearing it out.

Currently I enjoy my hair almost every day. I started wearing wash n gos almost
years ago and I wear them almost exclusively. Once I mastered the style, I really fell in love with my curls.

The only thing I want now is longer hair. Last December I had the last of my damage from years of washing with baking soda cut off. I’m sure my hair is getting longer, but progress is slow.

I’ve contemplated going back to bunning and buying hair accessories to keep it fun, but I don’t want to risk new forms of damage, from constantly pulling it back. Maybe I will alternate between bunning one week and wearing it out one week.

I like this thread!

For years, as I grew out my relaxer, I used to bun almost every day. I liked my buns, but I got to the point where I wanted to enjoy my hair by wearing it out.

Currently I enjoy my hair almost every day. I started wearing wash n gos almost
years ago and I wear them almost exclusively. Once I mastered the style, I really fell in love with my curls.

The only thing I want now is longer hair. Last December I had the last of my damage from years of washing with baking soda cut off. I’m sure my hair is getting longer, but progress is slow.

I’ve contemplated going back to bunning and buying hair accessories to keep it fun, but I don’t want to risk new forms of damage, from constantly pulling it back. Maybe I will alternate between bunning one week and wearing it out one week.

Do you have any favorite bun style(s) that you plan to reincorporate?

My twists are fully resting on my shoulders so I spent all spring and summer acting like a bobble head.

It was nice because I spent the last 10 years wearing my hair up and making sure that my ends were protected and not touching my shoulders. I'm not sure if there is a "safe" length where you don't have to worry about your ends rubbing on your clothes or not, but it was really freeing and I felt cute(r).

We're heading into winter so I'm going to go back to wearing my hair up and off of my shoulders. I'd like to find some accessories that would help me to bind my twists and look stylish.

(I've used this picture all week...time to take a new one.)

LHCF_MiniTwists2_Oct2023.png

My twists are fully resting on my shoulders so I spent all spring and summer acting like a bobble head.

It was nice because I spent the last 10 years wearing my hair up and making sure that my ends were protected and not touching my shoulders. I'm not sure if there is a "safe" length where you don't have to worry about your ends rubbing on your clothes or not, but it was really freeing and I felt cute(r).

We're heading into winter so I'm going to go back to wearing my hair up and off of my shoulders. I'd like to find some accessories that would help me to bind my twists and look stylish.

(I've used this picture all week...time to take a new one.)

View attachment 492285
They look so full and soft! I don't think of a safe length past shoulders, but coating my ends for an extra barrier with lubrication helps to reduce my ends snagging on my clothes and drying out.

Last edited:
They look so full and soft! I don't think of a safe length ost shoulders, but coating my ends for an extra barrier with lubrication helps to reduce my ends snagging on my clothes and drying out.

If you see how much I coat my ends. I use a dollar bill sized amount of moisturizer, plus a dollar bill sized amount of oil, then a dollar bill sized amount of "grease". I can't wear my hair down for the first few days or I'll ruin my shirts. :nono:

If you see how much I coat my ends. I use a dollar bill sized amount of moisturizer, plus a dollar bill sized amount of oil, then a dollar bill sized amount of "grease". I can't wear my hair down for the first few days or I'll ruin my shirts. :nono:
LOL! Then you're coating them right lol!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:
I laugh because I pin my hair up, use silk lined caps or wear a low back or strapless top for the same reasons lol. Loving our hair ain't about to ruin our clothes lol.

Last edited:
LOL! Then you're coating them right lol!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:
I laugh because I pin my hair up, use silk lined caps or wear a low back or strapless top for the same reasons lol. Loving our hair ain't about to ruin our clothes lol.

Many years ago, I used to put a satin pillow case over the headrest of my driver's seat, but I stop. The other day, I realized that when I drive, I don't lean back because I don't want my head to rub against the headrest and cause breakage. This isn't good for my posture, which I'm trying to correct. I think I'll have to find a satin pillow case so that I can live my best car life! :drunk:

Many years ago, I used to put a satin pillow case over the headrest of my driver's seat, but I stop. The other day, I realized that when I drive, I don't lean back because I don't want my head to rub against the headrest and cause breakage. This isn't good for my posture, which I'm trying to correct. I think I'll have to find a satin pillow case so that I can live my best car life! :drunk:
*Takes a note to put one of my (many) satin pillowcases in the car for "emergencies"* lol

GettingKinky said:
I recently realized that despite the fact that I’m bored with my hair routine, I’m loving my hair almost every day. I’m even enjoying my day 7 hair which is much more frizzy than my well defined day 2 hair.
I love this and I thank you for pointing that out! It's funny because when we become intentional about our hair, we take all these steps to start getting it to grow the way we want it to grow and to get it to look the way we want it to look. Funny how easy it is to get bored with our hair while it is evermore flourishing and becoming lower maintenance based on the type of solid foundation that carries it. Older hairstyles do still look good on well cared for hair. Moisturized hair can remain supple for days and weeks at a time before remoisturizing it. Nice hairstyles can develop over time and transition into different styles while consistently looking good. Frizz? Tuh! That is just the foundation for volume on a well cared for head of hair... no teasing is needed for the perfect coif. Thank you so much for pointing out your experience. I definitely understand.

Last edited:
Even though I wore my hair in a bun all week, it was a great hair week! My hair looked perfectly sleek with waves on fleek everyday. The key to getting these great results was sticking to the same products.
Yeah Girl! Your hair does sleek wonderfully and shines like glass when you slick it back. Beautiful waves. It is a great feeling for your hair to be on point, consistently, day after day. What products did you use?

Last edited:
Yeah Girl! You hair does sleek wonderfully and shine like blass when you slick it back. Beautiful waves. It is a great feeling for your hair to be on point, consistently, day after day. What product did you use?
Thank you!
My winning combo is Salerm b5 leave in with Xtreme Gel as my base gel and Doux bee girl as my topper. This combo worked well in the summer but I stopped using it in favor of trying different products. This seems to be my holy grail combo for slick backs. I’m sticking with it this time!

I love this and I thank you for pointing that out! It's funny because when we become intentional about our hair, we take all these steps to start getting it to grow the way we want it to grow and to get it to look the way we want it to look. Funny how easy it is to get bored with our hair while it is evermore flourishing and becoming lower maintenance based on the type of solid foundation that carries it. Older hairstyles do still look good on well cared for hair. Moisturized hair can remain supple for days and weeks at a time before remoisturizing it. Nice hairstyles can develop over time and transition into different styles while consistently looking good. Frizz? Tuh! That is just the foundation for volume on a well cared for head of hair... no teasing is needed for the perfect coif. Thank you so much for pointing out your experience. I definitely understand.
The funny thing is that as recently as a few months ago, by the time day 5 rolled around I was putting my hair into a pony/puff. But now on day 7 my hair still has bounce and movement.

I don’t know if it’s because my workouts are slightly less sweaty, or if it’s because my hair is a bit longer, or if it’s because I spend a bit more time wetting my hair before shampooing, but I like the way it’s behaving.
I’ve been following virtually the same routine for about 5 years now with minor changes to my stylers and I don’t foresee making any changes going forward - hence the slight boredom, but I don’t want to mess with success.

The funny thing is that as recently as a few months ago, by the time day 5 rolled around I was putting my hair into a pony/puff. But now on day 7 my hair still has bounce and movement.

I don’t know if it’s because my workouts are slightly less sweaty, or if it’s because my hair is a bit longer, or if it’s because I spend a bit more time wetting my hair before shampooing, but I like the way it’s behaving.
I’ve been following virtually the same routine for about 5 years now with minor changes to my stylers and I don’t foresee making any changes going forward - hence the slight boredom, but I don’t want to mess with success.
Bounce and movement that lasts across a week+ is a really good sign that your hair is holding on to the moisture you deposit during wash and style days. Love it.

Back