The Enjoying Our Hair Thread

How Often Do you Enjoy Your Hair?

• Everyday

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Frequently(Once a week+ but not every single day)

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Regularly(at least once a month but not as often as once a week +)

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Sometimes( 6-11 times a year)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Infrequently(3-5 times a year)

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Rarely (0-2 times a year)

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
Finally coming in to respond to this thread!
I feel like I go back and forth on my regimen all the time. Currently it looks like

I wash anywhere between every 5 - 10 days.
I rotate between three shampoos, a regular (melanin Haircare African black soap shampoo), moisturizing (olaplex no 4), and clarifying shampoo (olaplex 4c). I used to use my clarifying shampoo biweekly but I think overtime it was too stripping and caused my hair to frizz out. I reach for it now whenever the need arises, usually once a month.
I usually shampoo twice, unless I'm clay rinsing then I'll shampoo once and follow up with a clay rinse. I usually clay rinse 2xmonth, as I don't see any added benefit to doing it more often than that.

I usually DC under the hooded dryer with every wash, but if my last wash was less than 7 days ago or I'm pinched for time, I'll apply my DC in sections in the shower and let it sit for a couple minutes before rinsing it out. I don't use or own any rinse out conditioners, only DCs.
Right now my DC stash contains

1. Joico K PAK intense hydrator
  2. Joico moisture recovery balm
  3. Olaplex 4 in 1 moisture mask
  4. Shea moisture manuka honey and yogurt hydrate and repair
  5. Melanin Haircare plumping deep conditioner
  6. Giovanni smooth as silk deeper moisture conditioner (I have a massive bottle of this which I use as a detangler and rinse out conditioner, though it's technically a DC I never use it as such)

I'm trying to finish up the moisture recovery balm because it's my least favourite in my stash currently.
I will usually detangle either before or after deep conditioner, I use a little paddle brush that is very gentle on my hair and I can detangle my whole head in less than 10 minutes.

My washing process is very streamlined and not damaging at all. Excluding the time taken under the dryer I can cleanse, condition and detangle my hair in 35 mins.

The part of my regimen that I am still "figuring out" is styling. I mostly do twists/ twists outs or blow outs.

I love blowing my hair out but never know how to style it once it's blown out and I usually wear it in a bun.

For my twist outs I will leave the twists in for 2-3 days before wearing them out. So far I have one product combo which I love (melanin hair care cream + wetline gel) but I am trying to find a one and done product for my twists/twist outs still. I'm also experimenting with braid outs and other "quick" styles.
That is a FANTASTIC regimen! When you detangle your hair, how much hair slips/combs/brushes out? The styling option dilemma is a good dilemma to have! Since you already have thick lush hair, most options will look pretty great on you. You have some cute hair accessories and that is a good way to add variety. Have you tried some of the jazzed-up buns similar to what is demonstrated in this example:

A lot of bun/updo variations that look good for weddings, proms, and quinceaneras look great on thick, natural hair, and many of them are a lot simpler than people think to install. I think jazzing up your buns would be a small tweak and suit you pretty well if you wanted to go that route. There is a ton* of versatility for those who like buns for cute retention.

Last edited:
I tried the bantu knots on blow dried hair but they didn't come out the way I had in my mind. So, I ended up doing a braid n'curl on my blow dried hair! I was thinking about straightening again, but I'm happy with these curls! My grays are really out here graying :drunk::laugh:

1000001525.jpg1000001524.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I haven't been enjoying is how high-maintenance this curly styles are. I'm used to doing my wash n'go and being good for the week, or straightening my hair and being good for a week or two. I don't mind the process of doing them, but these rollerset styles aren't lasting more than a day :rolleyes: . That ain't it!!

I'm washing my hair tomorrow. I'm going to flatiron it and try to keep it for two weeks!

One thing I haven't been enjoying is how high-maintenance this curly styles are. I'm used to doing my wash n'go and being good for the week, or straightening my hair and being good for a week or two. I don't mind the process of doing them, but these rollerset styles aren't lasting more than a day :rolleyes: . That ain't it!!

I'm washing my hair tomorrow. I'm going to flatiron it and try to keep it for two weeks!
Since I've in braidout mode for a few months, I really hear you on that extra maintenance. I usually live in wash n goes. Initially, I was doing too much manipulation, combing every night to rebraid. I've found a rhythm now, where I still rebraid every night, but I don't comb after the first set is installed.

Could you not try pin curling or bantu knotting your curly styles at night to maintain without having to redo the initial process?

Since I've in braidout mode for a few months, I really hear you on that extra maintenance. I usually live in wash n goes. Initially, I was doing too much manipulation, combing every night to rebraid. I've found a rhythm now, where I still rebraid every night, but I don't comb after the first set is installed.

Could you not try pin curling or bantu knotting your curly styles at night to maintain without having to redo the initial process?
I was trying to maintain the same curls, so I felt like doing pin curls or bantu knots would change the curl pattern completely. I think next time I do an in-between flatironing style, I'll do a braid n'curl on wet hair instead of blowdried and that should last longer. I go back and forth with wanting a curled hair style and a straight style, but straight is just so much easier to maintain. I just wrap it at night and comb it down in the morning! Easy breezy! If I want curls, pin curl or a couple of flexi rods, but they seem to last longer.

If I wasn't ready for a sleek look, I'd totally reset my hair like you suggested :yep:

That’s why I stopped rollersetting natural hair. As soon as I get outside the curls would shrink and tangles

Are you using a good setting foam or setting lotion? Sometimes that can make all the difference with success and a lasting style. What setting product are you using?

Are you using a good setting foam or setting lotion? Sometimes that can make all the difference with success and a lasting style. What setting product are you using?
You're right! The setting lotion definitely makes a difference. I used CrazySexyCurl once for my flexi rods and the curls lasted like 3 days! I ran out though, and was mainly using Lottabody, but it just doesn't give enough hold for my hair.

You're right! The setting lotion definitely makes a difference. I used CrazySexyCurl once for my flexi rods and the curls lasted like 3 days! I ran out though, and was mainly using Lottabody, but it just doesn't give enough hold for my hair.

Cool, cool. The foam versions of Lottabody, along with the CrazySexyCool foam give a lighter hold than more concentrated wrap lotions. For example, the professional, concentrated version of Lottabody setting lotion can make your wet sets last a week or more with a touchable, yet firm, hold.
It is called professional and a lot of black salons still use it, but the big bottle of it is like 10 bucks at Sally's and black beauty supplies, if you aren't already trying that. The concentrated version of lottabody gives a firm set, even after it is diluted. If you want your wet sets to last a while longer you definitely have the skill to achieve a longer set by using a stronger setting lotion. There are other wrap lotions that hold very well for weeks too. No pressure or anything... but if it helps, I used to wear straw sets for a month at a time using old-school wrap lotions and they stayed pretty neat, while being touchable, for 3-4 weeks (...and I needed my straw sets last for at least that long because because it would take hours to set and dry. There is no way would it have been worth it for less than a week). So, I just wanted you to know it is possible to have a set that lasts if you use a stronger setting lotion... particularly the old-school wrap lotions that are more concentrated than the newer, popular, mousses... for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
Cool, cool. The foam versions of Lottabody, along with the CrazySexyCool foam give a lighter hold than more concentrated wrap lotions. For example, the professional, concentrated version of Lottabody setting lotion can make your wet sets last a week or more with a touchable, yet firm, hold.
It is called professional and a lot of black salons still use it, but the big bottle of it is like 10 bucks at Sally's and black beauty supplies, if you aren't already trying that. The concentrated version of lottabody gives a firm set, even after it is diluted. If you want your wet sets to last a while longer you definitely have the skill to achieve a longer set by using a stronger setting lotion. There are other wrap lotions that hold very well for weeks too. No pressure or anything... but if it helps, I used to wear straw sets for a month at a time using old-school wrap lotions and they stayed pretty neat, while being touchable, for 3-4 weeks (...and I needed my straw sets last for at least that long because because it would take hours to set and dry. There is no way would it have been worth it for less than a week). So, I just wanted you to know it is possible to have a set that lasts if you use a stronger setting lotion... particularly the old-school wrap lotions that are more concentrated than the newer, popular, mousses... for a fraction of the cost.
Thanks for the info!! I want to use up what I have for now, but I'll definitely check the concentrated Lottabody. Nairobi's also a fan favorite, but it gave me sticker shock when I found it in my local BSS :laugh:

I stumbled upon my last bottle of the old bottle containing Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm and used it for this weekend's wash. It feels so good! I may have to try the newer bottle. I may still be good. My hair has been in simple braids but I am feeling the excitement rise to stretch and straighten. I am just waiting a few weeks for optimal trim days and a special event I have coming up towards the end of the month.

I was really excited about trying my Tymo Ring Plus today and I tried it. It is a good tool I just have to break it in better. I also need to rotate heat protectants. I used it today with Sabino Moisture block. The Tymo straightened my hair nicely for about 10 minutes then it frizzed. That was unexpected because Sabino is usually the serum I use when my lighter ones are not strong enough to combat intense humidity. I went over the Tymo section a second time with more serum and the highest heat setting. After a few minutes that section frizzed again. After that, I finished my hair with my flat iron. It is extremely rare that I need more than 1 swipe for the straight results I am after. However, 3 swipes reached my limit. The upper 2/3 of my hair straightened fine on 400 one pass. My hair feels really soft today. I had some spits and knots that I didn't see when my hair was natural but I cut those out. Tomorrow I will clean up my ends for uniformity but my hair feels very nice. Today I am enjoying how my hair feels. I also appreciate that I was able to salvage my press when using a new tool that didn't go as expected. I still like the Tymo and plan to buy a few more tools for them. I just have to tweak my usage and product combo while using it. I believe I will love this tool. I just am not there yet.

Last week I greased my scalp with JBCO(using it up and plan to switch to Haitian black castor oil when I re-up). I know this is usually a silk press "no-no", but I did it anyway to smooth my bulk out. By the end of the 1st day, the oil migrated and I could feel a light coating of the oil from roots to ends. By the end of the 4th day, my hair absorbed the oil and was back to flowing and soft; the oily residue no longer remained. So my hair was left smoother without being oily. I will be good to enjoy this press for 2 more weeks.

Last edited:
I don't know how much I really enjoy my hair. I went natural a few years ago, and since I've outgrown my mini-afro, I've been keeping the hair in two-strand twists. I was supposed to get them re-done this morning, but my hairdresser's place got flooded out. This was at 8am, when I was scheduled in to work at 10am :pullhair: And I had already taken my twists out and had my hair braided in parts. The only thing I could do is purchase a headband and rock the puff! I haven't had my hair "out" in over a year and a half and I initially felt self conscious, but right now it feels pretty good!

I'm in mini twists right now. They are so fun! I can do cute styles when i want to with them but they are also great for easily getting a smooth bun which is my style of preference for the work week. Honestly they remind me of a silk press with their versatility lol.
Mini braids/twists are extremely versatile and can be pretty practical to care for too! About how long do you keep your installs in?

I don't know how much I really enjoy my hair. I went natural a few years ago, and since I've outgrown my mini-afro, I've been keeping the hair in two-strand twists. I was supposed to get them re-done this morning, but my hairdresser's place got flooded out. This was at 8am, when I was scheduled in to work at 10am :pullhair: And I had already taken my twists out and had my hair braided in parts. The only thing I could do is purchase a headband and rock the puff! I haven't had my hair "out" in over a year and a half and I initially felt self conscious, but right now it feels pretty good!
  • Was there any trigger for your natural journey?
  • I am sorry to hear that your appointment fell through. That can be very frustrating.
  • With your hair feeling pretty good right now, is there any particular feature or aspect of you hair to highlight (appearance, moisture, strength, etc)? Please let us know what feels good about it and what is contributing to that feeling.

Daily. I massage my scalp and caress my strands as needed. I wouldn’t have it any other way.
ITS ABOUT TIME YOU LANDED IN HERE LOL
No lie when I made this thread I thought to myself you enjoy your hair more than me, based on the "beat the heat" days lol. I love how adventurous you are with your hair and how you keep it styled regularly. On the day-to-day, do you lead with style, health, or a balance between the two? Since you enjoy your hair daily, what do you believe keeps it healthy while enjoying it so much? Do you feel like your daughter picks up on the way you care for your appearance as she gets older and is learning to enjoy her hair as much?

Mini braids/twists are extremely versatile and can be pretty practical to care for too! About how long do you keep your installs in?
Hoping to keep them in for 4 weeks. I won't be washing them as I've heard that's an easy way to get tangled and breakage lol. This is my first set of real mini twists so I am still figuring out how to care for them. I posted my planned regimen in the grow it long thread the other day. Hoping to get to WL by the end of this year with twists :)

ITS ABOUT TIME YOU LANDED IN HERE LOL
No lie when I made this thread I thought to myself you enjoy your hair more than me, based on the "beat the heat" days lol. I love how adventurous you are with your hair and how you keep it styled regularly. On the day-to-day, do you lead with style, health, or a balance between the two? Since you enjoy your hair daily, what do you believe keeps it healthy while enjoying it so much? Do you feel like your daughter picks up on the way you care for your appearance as she gets older and is learning to enjoy her hair as much?
I like to look presentable, so I’m a straight hair natural 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time I’m braided under a wig. I work with children and I’m not trying to get roasted lol. My hair remains healthy despite being worn out daily, because I believe in less is more. I no longer weigh my hair down with products. I moisturize my ends on an as needed basis. My hair has gotten finer with age, so a dime size of leave in is usually plenty. My daughter is taking control of her natural hair and experimenting. Her hair is currently in box braids (by me), but I’m sure she’s going to want another silk press soon.

Back