how do you enjoy your hair if you protective style 99% of the time?

I actually love ps like most of you ladies!! It's easy to get up and put my hair in bun in and with out working out every day.
It's just works for me!! Now, I'm no where near my goal which is only to be APL. Once
I do acheive this length. I will start to enjoy my hair down on occasions. I'm not going through this journey to have to start all over.

I really enjoy hiding my hair. Taking it down to wash it and style it is an event that sort of builds up for me.

After you get to your desired length, is it okay to not protective style?

For me I will still protective style most of the time.

It depends on the weather. When its cold, raining, really hot, etc, I like to protect my hair from the elements. It also depends on what I wear. Some of my coats, jackets and other winter clothes are wool and is too rough on my hair so I keep my hair up most of the time during cooler months too.

The bold is exactly what i was talking about when i started this thread. I understand that protective styles are important when retaining length is concerned but i don't get enjoyment out of it doing it 24/7.

I don't PS 24/7. I got the urge to straighten Saturday, so I rollerset and flat-ironed and will likely wear my hair down all week. But, I know that my hair retains length better when I leave it alone and straightening causes a lot of manipulation.

I also like co-washing frequently and it's easier to wash/co-wash, air-dry and bun than to go through the whole straightening process, especially now that I'm *fingers crossed* transitioning. Not everyone needs PS, though. When one member named Traycee was growing her hair to WL, then tailbone, she wore buns during the week and her hair down on the weekend, which is a nice compromise.

i prefer protective styles....i enjoy them because for my fragile hair, that's how i retain. and i enjoy retaining. :)

i also like the looks i get when i finally let my hair out. :P

i think it varies depending on the person. i like hiding my hair. it makes the takedowns so much more fun for me.

I don't PS 24/7. I got the urge to straighten Saturday, so I rollerset and flat-ironed and will likely wear my hair down all week. But, I know that my hair retains length better when I leave it alone and straightening causes a lot of manipulation.

I also like co-washing frequently and it's easier to wash/co-wash, air-dry and bun than to go through the whole straightening process, especially now that I'm *fingers crossed* transitioning. Not everyone needs PS, though. When one member named Traycee was growing her hair to WL, then tailbone, she wore buns during the week and her hair down on the weekend, which is a nice compromise.

I see from reading your post that we have a lot in common, good luck w/ur transition :)

dumb question: if i wanted to protective style with cornrows, would it be better to have them redone every week or every two weeks?

samanthathebrave said:
dumb question: if i wanted to protective style with cornrows, would it be better to have them redone every week or every two weeks?

That really depends on your hair. If you can go two weeks, go for it. Personally, if my cornrows stay in past 3 or 4 days they look fuzzy and nasty.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using LHCF

I used to wonder about this too until my hair got longer.
I prefer protective and low manipulation styles. I do not like messing with my hair a lot. I prefer to put it in twists or braids once a week and just style the twists/braids.
When I do wear it out in a twist-out or braid-out, it starts getting on my nerves especially if it gets in my face and eyes and I can't wait to put it back up when I get home.
So in conclusion, I enjoy my hair when it is in a protective style. It's a nice break to wear it out once and a while but I would not enjoy doing it on a regular basis.

Back