~~TBL 2012 Challenge~~

DC'd my twists on tuesday with AOHSR/AVG/argan oil/grapeseed oil/safflower oil/raw honey. This was my second time using the raw honey. Still haven't decided if it will be a staple.

Still wearing my twists in a bun. I'm going to DC again next week and then wear a twist out next weekend.

I want in!!!!

NJoy directed me to this thread from the HL thead. Thanks again...
Here are my stats.

Vitals

Current Length:Longest locs at TBL with my thickest layers at WL
Regimen: Currently using the Deep Moisture Method and wigging as my PS until it gets too hot. Then I'll keep it under headwraps and tams.
Plans: I want to even out my layers. I got scissor happy last year and now I seriously regret it. Now that I've figured out how to use wigs to switch up my style when I want a change, maybe my locs can even out- we'll see.
TBL Length Date: My longest locs with be there within the year, but it will take a while for my hemline to even out- maybe 2-3 years. That's cool though.

I just had my DH take a pic and I have to tweak it on photobucket, but I'll post a pic tomorrow morning at work.:yep:

I am in the same situation with the layers. I am on a reclamation journey after 5 years of major shedding. My longest hair a are at TBL. My concern is they are also my nape hairs. I am still wondering if my crown and other layers will grow that long.:perplexed :ohwell: just working on repairing the health and fullness where ever it chooses to stop. I was BCL(top of the verticle smile or upper tail) for all the years of the shedding.:sad:

Welcome and nice to have you along with the journey.

DC'd my twists on tuesday with AOHSR/AVG/argan oil/grapeseed oil/safflower oil/raw honey. This was my second time using the raw honey. Still haven't decided if it will be a staple.

Still wearing my twists in a bun. I'm going to DC again next week and then wear a twist out next weekend.

Honey is a main staple for me , hope it works out for you.:yep:

I'm gonna try curlformers, thanks to nakialovesshoes. She's letting me try out her curlformers to see if they work for me. I sure hope so because I'd love to have a decent no-heat hairstyle that will allow me to wear my hair out.

Now to find the motivation to actually put them in. If I don't do it tonight, it'll be within the next day or so. LOL. I feel so lazy...but excited. Does that even make sense? :lol:

NJoy - any update on the curlformers?

I shampooed and DC'd today. I used AOWC instead of HSR and I like it a lot better. The HSR is really thick which made it hard to spread into my hair and hard to rinse out all the way. The WC is a little thinner which is what I was looking for. Now I just have to use up this last bottle of HSR.

@NJoy - any update on the curlformers?

I shampooed and DC'd today. I used AOWC instead of HSR and I like it a lot better. The HSR is really thick which made it hard to spread into my hair and hard to rinse out all the way. The WC is a little thinner which is what I was looking for. Now I just have to use up this last bottle of HSR.

FoxxyLocs

As a matter of fact, I do have an update.

Ok, so I did an overnight DC the night before and ran around most of the day with that same conditioner, waiting to find time to set my hair with the curlformers. I rinsed out the conditioner, finger detangled and sectioned off my hair into 4 section, prepping for the set. I figured it would take me about an hour at most to get 'em in. :nono: Nah man. It took about 5 hours to detangle as I went along and get all the curlformers in.

2012-02-15005931-1.jpg

I certainly didn't intend to sleep with them in but, I didn't finish until 1am and I was dead dog tired. But um, trying to sleep in them was impossible! I could not find a way to sleep and I tried everything. I even tried to sleep the way the sister slept on "Friday" to keep from messing up her hair. I notice that as the hair dried, the curlformers were pulling at my scalp even more so, I'd have to slide some of them down. And when I did nod off, I could feel the discomfort even in my sleep. But, I made it thru and immediately took the curlformers off my hair when the alarm went off at 5:30. :lol:

I was VERY pleased with how the spirals turned out. Especially since I'm 43 wks post texlax. They were soft, bouncy and smooth. That really surprised me.

Anyhoo, here are the pics that I took first thing this morning. I'm looking forward to the curls loosening and hanging a bit more. What do you think?

Hey, I'm just happy I'll be able to get a good night's sleep tonight. :grin:

Attachments

• 2012-02-15072029.jpg
    2012-02-15072029.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 2012-02-15072057.jpg
    2012-02-15072057.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 2012-02-15072150-1.jpg
    2012-02-15072150-1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 2012-02-15091740.jpg
    2012-02-15091740.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 89
  • 2012-02-15072258-1.jpg
    2012-02-15072258-1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 92
That came out really nice Njoy! Five hrs though? I doubt I'll be trying them anytime soon, lol. I'd love to see more pics of how you style it and how it holds up over the next few days.

I finally figuared out why my twist would not last a day. It was just the way I was twisting them.:blush: Today is wash day and I did not have to redo them for 5 days. :yay: Yeah!! Now to see how my tangles are after 5 days and no detangling. :covereyes:

FoxxyLocs

As a matter of fact, I do have an update.

Ok, so I did an overnight DC the night before and ran around most of the day with that same conditioner, waiting to find time to set my hair with the curlformers. I rinsed out the conditioner, finger detangled and sectioned off my hair into 4 section, prepping for the set. I figured it would take me about an hour at most to get 'em in. :nono: Nah man. It took about 5 hours to detangle as I went along and get all the curlformers in.

2012-02-15005931-1.jpg

I certainly didn't intend to sleep with them in but, I didn't finish until 1am and I was dead dog tired. But um, trying to sleep in them was impossible! I could not find a way to sleep and I tried everything. I even tried to sleep the way the sister slept on "Friday" to keep from messing up her hair. I notice that as the hair dried, the curlformers were pulling at my scalp even more so, I'd have to slide some of them down. And when I did nod off, I could feel the discomfort even in my sleep. But, I made it thru and immediately took the curlformers off my hair when the alarm went off at 5:30. :lol:

I was VERY pleased with how the spirals turned out. Especially since I'm 43 wks post texlax. They were soft, bouncy and smooth. That really surprised me.

Anyhoo, here are the pics that I took first thing this morning. I'm looking forward to the curls loosening and hanging a bit more. What do you think?

Hey, I'm just happy I'll be able to get a good night's sleep tonight. :grin:

Your story had me cracking.....UP!:lol:

But it did turn out really really nice!:yep: Beauty is pain!:grin:

NJoy - your curls look amazing .. but 5 hours? Do you think over time the process will get faster/shorter? I may give these a shot once I see how your hair holds up over the next week.

I'm in London for the long weekend (woohoo! Vacations!) and today I wore my hair in little girl pigtails -- pulled hair behind each ear. Then when I got tired of slapping myself, I twisted the ends into princess leia buns. I thought it was cute!

More importantly I "saw" length. In the shower, I can feel it's creeping to the small of my back but once air touches it, it's shrinks to mid-back/bsl. Today tho' I had it banded and twisted so in my ponytails, my hair fell past my shoulders. (which is why I kept slapping myself every time I turned my head).

Looking forward to a length check and trim Mar 31!

@NJoy - your curls look amazing .. but 5 hours? Do you think over time the process will get faster/shorter? I may give these a shot once I see how your hair holds up over the next week.

I'm in London for the long weekend (woohoo! Vacations!) and today I wore my hair in little girl pigtails -- pulled hair behind each ear. Then when I got tired of slapping myself, I twisted the ends into princess leia buns. I thought it was cute!

More importantly I "saw" length. In the shower, I can feel it's creeping to the small of my back but once air touches it, it's shrinks to mid-back/bsl. Today tho' I had it banded and twisted so in my ponytails, my hair fell past my shoulders. (which is why I kept slapping myself every time I turned my head).

Looking forward to a length check and trim Mar 31!

regina07

I'm sure I could find a way to make install time a little shorter...eventually. Having to detangle as I went along slows things down. I guess I could prep better by having my hair sectioned off in smaller sections so that detangling would be easier. And, of course, once I get rid of my bonelaxed ends, that could make detangling easier. But, since I put so many in, I think it will always take a good chunk of time.

So far the set is still holding up. By the end of day 1, I could already see the curls looked fuller and hung a little better. Buuuuuut....and I've said it before....I'm gonna need a 12-step program to wean me off of ps'g. I kept most of my curls wrapped in a scarf while allowing a few spirals in the front to dangle. I don't know that this will be a style that I wear in the winter but, it's nice for warmer weather.

But to be sure, my hair is hanging much better today and should only get better over the next few days. I'm actually ready to put my hair up but am trying to wait til hubby gets back in town tomorrow. He's always complaining about me not wearing my hair out anymore. I hope he njoy's it because who knows when the next time will be. :giggle:

I hope you're njoy'g your vacation, btw. (regina07) :yep:

Day 3. Still curly but they're falling. I lightly finger combed and just HAD to do a scalp massage. My scalp felt so dry and itchy. I'll probably comb thru for more of a wavy look tomorrow or pin it up for another day first. But hubby has taken me out of town and is njoying my hair down. I'll probably comb it out. Anywho...

2012-02-17213206-1.jpg

2012-02-17213352-1.jpg

Sorry so bit. Trying to hurry and post these before hubby gets out of the restroom. We're headed out. Have a great weekend. :grin:

NJoy - love the 3-day look! the curls still look smooth and bouncy.

I'm off to do a search about curlformers ... they may be worth a try for me.

Y'all tired of my yet? Day 4. I was kind of lazy putting my hair away last night. I wanted the curls to drop a bit more so I made 2 loose braids with the hair and was too lazy to get up and get my hair sack. I just pinned the braids in the back and put on a regular cap.

I finger-combed the hair. The bonelaxed ends are giving up the ghost and looking oily from the argan oil that I spray on at night and the jojoba that I put on my ends specifically. I'm very paranoid about my end being out and just don't want them to dry out.

As for the rest of my hair, the curls are holding surprisingly well but they're reverting and is turning more curly fro-ish than smooth spiral curls. You can see the fuzz in the pic.

I think after hubby leaves tomorrow, I'm going for a much-needed DC and putting my ends away.

Anywho, here's where I am today.

2012-02-18172800-1.jpg

NJoy I think they held up well. You look great.

My wash turned out well with very little tangles. I am really loving the twists. My curls don't tangle on the hair as much as with the braids. The braids felt and were more secure but the twist are easier to do and gental on my hair:yep: Braids probably work better when there is not so much groowing out from shedding.

NJoy

You know you wrong for this!!! Got me all hot and bothered with those curls! I'm itching to get my own now and cant til I get back in the states! You better hope I forget about it by then. I'm not trying to spend my whole bonus when I get back on hair stuff :lol:

Mz.MoMo5235 Girl! Don't act like anything that I've said is going to cause you to spend up your bonus. You. can't. WAIT! to get back and spend your bonus on your hair because of your hair. :lachen: Old habits die hard, mama. :lol:

But yes. I love how well the curlformers worked but probably won't do it again until the warm weather is here to stay. I was paranoid over my ends like a mug.

So anyway, my curlformer run is over. I got caught out in the rain yesterday and my hair was really poofing so, I had to convert the curls to twists. I didn't dare want to comb my hair out so, I combed each curl and twisted, combining some. It was a good thing because I needed to moisturize with something other than the argan oil that I was spraying on my hair. Also, I'm loving the twists because I see my inner #HairCrush coming out. Maybe it's because it was poofing and looking thicker, thereby making my twists look yummy.

So, Vintagecoilylocks, I feeling you on these twists right now. I'm very happy that they're looking long and thick. When I was wearing twists last year, I had more bonelaxed ends so, it looked a bit crazy with those thin ends. I cut a couple inches off so, I don't have as much bonelaxed left.

And, as a bonus, after I twisted up, hubby told me that my hair looks so rich and healthy. :drunk:

Is it too late to join? I finally made my way to this challenge; I hadn't come to the forum in a while! Or used my computer at all for that matter, too busy taking care of my newborn. But I'm back at work now so I can spend a few minutes checking in with you guys.

baladi0822 said:
Is it too late to join? I finally made my way to this challenge; I hadn't come to the forum in a while! Or used my computer at all for that matter, too busy taking care of my newborn. But I'm back at work now so I can spend a few minutes checking in with you guys.

This challenge is open all year. Welcome and tell us about your hair!

Get in here! Your hair is gorgeous, baladi0822. We need details. :lick:

Hola Chicas! Sure is quiet in the long haired threads. Just thought I'd drop in to see what's shaking. I have nothing exciting to report. I'm about to wash and do an overnight DC. I'll be 45 wks post texlax tomorrow and I'm still in twists. I'm thinking maybe I'll henna tomorrow after my hair dries from my moisturizing overnight DC. Hmmm... sounds like a plan.

Rambling and thinking outloud now. Lol.

No news on my end. Bunning this week until my hair appointment on Thursday. I'm getting twists again. I'll wear them (bun or pony) for 3 weeks and then a twistout. I'll probably repeat that for April. At the end of April I plan to straighten and trim.

I've spent all of February in a bun. Probably the same for March and April.

No news on my end. Bunning this week until my hair appointment on Thursday. I'm getting twists again. I'll wear them (bun or pony) for 3 weeks and then a twistout. I'll probably repeat that for April. At the end of April I plan to straighten and trim.

I've spent all of February in a bun. Probably the same for March and April.

Whoa whoa whoa! Didn't you have a hair appointment recently that we didn't, uh, see pics from? Or is this jus wishful thinking on my part? :lick:

FoxxyLocs

@NJoy - Yeah that's when I got the twists done, but I just put them up in a bun so I didn't bother taking pics. My buns are boring.

ETA: I think I forgot to mention that I did dust the ends of my twists - I cut very little - like 1/8in. - I just didn't want to go so long without any kind of trim. I'll probably do it again next month and then assess my ends when I straighten in April. I'll cut whatever I need to then, but I don't expect it to be much. And hopefully I will have retained some length too. At my last LC I was grazing WL so I should have retained at least a couple of inches by April right? Maybe full WL? We'll see. :look:

Last edited:
^^ OK. And I think you'll definitely be at least FWL. I don't think microtrims take anything worth mentioning.

As for me....yeaaaah. I'm actually still in last night's overnight DC. Hey, it's raining and all dreary out today. I just feel so lazy. I threw a wig over the whole contraption and kept it moving. As for henna today. I don't think that's gonna happen. I'll be lucky to wash this out, moisturize and maybe save detangling for tomorrow. Usually I do better detangling after letting my hair airdry with my hair moisturized and sealed. I'm just plain pooped.

I was going to trim again, trying to slowly get rid of my bonelaxed ends but, I'm gonna leave my hair alone before I get addicted to cutting. I call myself trimming by the moon and trimmed twice already, about an inch each time. Found myself looking for a good day to trim in March. :nono: I think I'll just wait to see what June looks like and trim then. That's when I'm sure I'll do my next official length check. But I'm not ruling out when I'm 1 yr post in April. But June is my birthday so I know I'll flat iron then.

I just detangled my hair. I normally don't but it's been a month and I had to reschedule my hair appointment. I saturated my dry hair with conditioner and used my wide tooth comb. Detangling was a breeze! This was my first time using this method, normally I'm detangling wet or damp hair w/conditioner or aloe.

I braided each section, but now I'm trying to decide whether to leave the conditioner in or rinse it out. If I rinse it out my hair will take forever to dry. If I leave it in - idk what might happen, I've never done that before.

I think I'll leave it in. What's the worst that could happen? :look:

Back