Taren's catching heat on YT

Trust that companies know this. Look how many small companies got their start on here. Hairveda, Kinky Curly, Afroveda, the list goes on

look at large companies who realized we has power. MTG was big back in the day and that same company went and made "Sula" a product that did not smell as bad:look: I'm sure Pantene RoV, Motions, Herbal Essences, etc all have their people snooping on here trying to use this board to increase sales (research)

Companies recognize free advertising all the time. Its up to you the person who is supplying them with that free advertising, to see where you can get your free share.

Companies used to be able to just come on here and talk about their product. Now the board has rules and they need special accounts (with higher fees) and we can't post our business sites in our signatures because its not fair to be able to 6.50 and get thousands of dollars in profit.

the hair board is a good example of how this works :lol::yep:

but but but taren doesn't have a business. you're talking about a legit business vs someone who does reviews on FREE products she's receiving. so where does she get off saying someone owes her more than free product? she needs to get over herself. if she wants to make a legit claim, she needs to start up her own business instead of acting as one under the guise of a natural hair advocate. no one's taking advantage of a business she doesn't have. she is essentially complaining about doing absolutely nothing. and if she feels she's being taken advantage of and wants to strictly promote healthy hair practices, then stop accepting the products and reviewing them. naptural85 is a perfect example of someone that does that.

ditto

very interesting what ppl actually get from a very clear message...

So, no one is going to address the fact that Taren is encouraging people to be business savvy by building your brand and not establish another repetitive type of channel? She's just going to be made out to be a selfish, arrogant, and ignorant YouTuber? Okay. :look:

Taren is giving some good info here because there are A LOT of people who hop on YouTube for the sole purpose of getting free stuff. They come on with crappy videos and random foolishness and don't really know how to get started.

From the part I actually watched, she is saying to build your brand and know your worth and don't be taken advantage out there because there is business to be made.

For example, since being natural blew up these past few years, people have been buying these overpriced products (myself included) in DROVES, largely based off of other people's FREE reviews. 75% of this stuff can be made at home at a fraction of the cost, yet all of these natural-friendly stores are being praised, but the vlog/bloggers who send the customers there are crucified for wanting compensation? I don't get it.

I say hey, if you're thirsty, sip her tea. If not, click the red X.

cutiebe2 said:
I agree with Taren.

One thing that stuck out to me was really true. People jump down the throats of ordinary folks, but we never question Drake on his Sprite deal, or MJ for making million of of poor black kids by putting his name on a sneaker.

Why is it that its okay for someone to advertise for PURE profit but when average women want to make some money it becomes "sit down and shut up because you should be grateful for what you do get". Thats no fair and I wont put down anyone who is trying to be fairly compensated for what they do.

If a company sends her 20 dollars worth of product but then makes 20,000 worth of sales (her videos will be up for years, helping sales for years to come), that's not fair compensation.

And she also mentioned that the best fair compensation is commission when people click your link to buy the product.

I don't understand why we WANT each other to value are self so little, especially as women of color we should be pushing for out FAIR CUT of a business especially if they are benefiting from our value!

Very well stated:)

I kind of agree with both sides of the argument. However, I definitely don't think that YouTube needs to compensate Taren for doing reviews. YouTube is a FREE video hosting/sharing website that gives Taren free exposure to the public. If she wants to get paid, then she should also expect to be charged for having a YouTube account, where she pays for exposure to the public.

She is basically trying to act as though she is a business/independent contractor, without fully being a business/independent contractor.

In terms of companies paying her to review products...That's fine. But she may lose business because there are so many people are willing to do for absolutely nothing. I wish her the best, but it sounds like she needs to come up with a way to make what she does into more of a business.

Like Macherieamour...On her healthy textures website I believe you have to pay to look at her tutorials and reviews. She may need to go that route if she wants more cash...

I kind of agree with both sides of the argument. However, I definitely don't think that YouTube needs to compensate Taren for doing reviews. YouTube is a FREE video hosting/sharing website that gives Taren free exposure to the public. If she wants to get paid, then she should also expect to be charged for having a YouTube account, where she pays for exposure to the public.

She is basically trying to act as though she is a business/independent contractor, without fully being a business/independent contractor.

In terms of companies paying her to review products...That's fine. But she may lose business because there are so many people are willing to do for absolutely nothing. I wish her the best, but it sounds like she needs to come up with a way to make what she does into more of a business.

Like Macherieamour...On her healthy textures website I believe you have to pay to look at her tutorials and reviews. She may need to go that route if she wants more cash...

I didn't watch the whole video, but I dont' recall her saying YouTube should compensate. I thought she is talking about the companies who reach out in regards to their product. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't watch the whole video, but I dont' recall her saying YouTube should compensate. I thought she is talking about the companies who reach out in regards to their product. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't look at the video either :spinning:

I was going off of OP's summarized points. She mentioned Taren also thought YouTube should pay her.

This maybe true but she has 90,000 subscribers so she can reach alot more people than the average youtuber. Some companies may not even waste their time if the product isn't going to be seen by a certain amount of people.

mech said:
but but but taren doesn't have a business. you're talking about a legit business vs someone who does reviews on FREE products she's receiving. so where does she get off saying someone owes her more than free product? she needs to get over herself. if she wants to make a legit claim, she needs to start up her own business instead of acting as one under the guise of a natural hair advocate. no one's taking advantage of a business she doesn't have. she is essentially complaining about doing absolutely nothing. and if she feels she's being taken advantage of and wants to strictly promote healthy hair practices, then stop accepting the products and reviewing them. naptural85 is a perfect example of someone that does that.

Does she currently have sponsors where she takes out two minutes out of her regular programminv to rave about a product (and she gets paid for it)? If not, maybe this is the direction she should go in. Or wants to.

I listen to a popular crafting podcast that does book reviews as part of the show. The hosts do mention that the books were sent to them from the publishers for review, and more often than not, they will rip the books to shreds. However, they do about 2-3 sponsorship breaks between segments to advertise, since they do get paid for it, and make mention of their sponosors at the close of the show. A few listeners have voiced their disdain for the "commercials" but most defend their right to be compensated for their time and effort to put out weekly/bimonthly shows. If this is the route Taren wants to take, making a proposal to companies directly and doing 1-2 minute endorsements would seem to work more in her favor than a half-hour rant would on YT.

Okay I broke down and watched her entire video. She brought up some very valid points. Businesses are not only making money by using vloggers, they are also saving the money in their advertising budget. She was on point with the things she was saying that other vloggers would be foolish not to take note. It also sounds like she doesn't work so youtube is what she does full time so maybe that's why she's so pressed to get paid.

While I found the things she said to be very intelligent, the way she said them came off wrong. She could have been more professional about it instead of going the home girl route. I also feel that she should have stayed on topic because there was definitely some things she should've left out.

I agree with Taren.

One thing that stuck out to me was really true. People jump down the throats of ordinary folks, but we never question Drake on his Sprite deal, or MJ for making million of of poor black kids by putting his name on a sneaker.

Why is it that its okay for someone to advertise for PURE profit but when average women want to make some money it becomes "sit down and shut up because you should be grateful for what you do get". Thats no fair and I wont put down anyone who is trying to be fairly compensated for what they do.

If a company sends her 20 dollars worth of product but then makes 20,000 worth of sales (her videos will be up for years, helping sales for years to come), that's not fair compensation.

And she also mentioned that the best fair compensation is commission when people click your link to buy the product.

I don't understand why we WANT each other to value are self so little, especially as women of color we should be pushing for out FAIR CUT of a business especially if they are benefiting from our value!
cutiebe2 I agree with your whole post especially the bolded!...Our women need as much business help as possible, If becky was selling her time and reviews im sure it would be "good in the hood" :nono:

So, no one is going to address the fact that Taren is encouraging people to be business savvy by building your brand and not establish another repetitive type of channel? She's just going to be made out to be a selfish, arrogant, and ignorant YouTuber? Okay. :look:

Taren is giving some good info here because there are A LOT of people who hop on YouTube for the sole purpose of getting free stuff. They come on with crappy videos and random foolishness and don't really know how to get started.

From the part I actually watched, she is saying to build your brand and know your worth and don't be taken advantage out there because there is business to be made.

For example, since being natural blew up these past few years, people have been buying these overpriced products (myself included) in DROVES, largely based off of other people's FREE reviews. 75% of this stuff can be made at home at a fraction of the cost, yet all of these natural-friendly stores are being praised, but the vlog/bloggers who send the customers there are crucified for wanting compensation? I don't get it.

I say hey, if you're thirsty, sip her tea. If not, click the red X.
Your Cheeziness EXACTLY! Do we really want our women getting (mostly other races) richer than they already are, while we sit back and do it for a "free product"...im sure the person can buy their own hair cream, its not doing a huge service for them to get it free, i dont get why so many people thinks this is such a giving gesture on the companies part! :perplexed

DanceOnTheSkylines - I CAN TURN ON MY CAPS LOCK ALSO. I guess you feel that makes your points more effective? Hmmm, not really sure why you got so emotional over a stranger and a discussion over points made in a YT video. If you don't agree with my statments, fine, we can agree to disagree...no need to get all charged up.

Whoa, ok please don't make my post anything more than what it is. Me making a few words capital was not a sign that I was angry/tryna start something, I did it to put emphasis on certain points simply because it felt as though things I had already said had been ignored. I'm not getting emotional over a stranger, I just don't like it when people's words are taken outta context. They can be my words or anyone else's words, but I know from experience that most conflict and disagreements come from simple misunderstandings. If you took it as an attack then I apologize for making you feel that way, and I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just make sure your opinion is at least based on what is true, that is all i care about.

This maybe true but she has 90,000 subscribers so she can reach alot more people than the average youtuber. Some companies may not even waste their time if the product isn't going to be seen by a certain amount of people.

And that's the part of the argument that I agree with to a degree. I could see her being compensated. But what type of compensation that is, I'm not sure...

Companies are more willing to pay for a commerical, print advertisement, or internet banner where they can control all aspects of the message being conveyed to their audience. When they pay a promotional spokesmodel or celebrity they also have a pretty good amount of control on how that product is going to be conveyed. These people are paid pretty much to say positive things about the product..

When someone does a video review of a product...they may or not say what you want them to say about your product. So yes you're product is getting exposure and yes a vlogger can reach a certain number of YouTube viewers but, there are alot more unknown variables involved.

The goal of advertising is get people to buy your product, not just see your product.

Most companies don't want to waste too much money paying people to review their product only to have it hurt the image of their product, in the eyes of their target audience.

I agree with a previous poster, If Taren wants to make money, she should endorse products while she does reviews.

Taren is a respected person. Kim Kardashian doesn't have a business either but companies pay her thousands on dollars to tweet about their products. What she is doing isn't anything new. Companies know that sales come from people who the audience trust. When she says she likes XYZ thing, over 200,000 people watch that video and believe her. She says she will not endorse a brand she does not like. But if she does like you, her review has just influenced 200k people to buy your product more than a billboard would have.

That what she is saying, she is being taken advantage of. If they post a billboard and that cost 100k and it only makes 3 people who walk by it buy their product, but they can give her a free $20 product and get 400 people to buy it, then there is a disconnect. Companies are saving money by using youtubers.

Like she said her video was for other youtubers as well, many don't understand the business and think a shampoo is a fair cut when its not

And that's the part of the argument that I agree with to a degree. I could see her being compensated. But what type of compensation that is, I'm not sure...

Companies are more willing to pay for a commerical, print advertisement, or internet banner where they can control all aspects of the message being conveyed to their audience. When they pay a promotional spokesmodel or celebrity they also have a pretty good amount of control on how that product is going to be conveyed. These people are paid pretty much to say positive things about the product..

When someone does a video review of a product...they may or not say what you want them to say about your product. So yes you're product is getting exposure and yes a vlogger can reach a certain number of YouTube viewers but, there are alot more unknown variables involved.

The goal of advertising is get people to buy your product, not just see your product.

Most companies don't want to waste too much money paying people to review their product only to have it hurt the image of their product, in the eyes of their target audience.

I agree with a previous poster, If Taren wants to make money, she should endorse products while she does reviews.

Her point was not only for vloggers to be paid FOR their review, it is for compensation based on the increase in sales they got BECAUSE of their review. There is a difference. Many people get this compensation in the form of affiliate links.

And contrary to popular belief, companies just want their name out there. They put out a product that was tested successfully enough for them to release it. SOMEBODY is going to like it. A company being scared that vloggers are going to knock their product is not really a factor.

Celebs endorse products they don't even use for a check. The power of a review from a real, regular person is waaay more valuable (imo). And this is Taren's point. She wants people to know (who are in it for business purposes) that you're more valuable than you think you are.

I agree with everything she said, but I think this rant shouldn't have been posted for the general audience, which may hinder her business.

DanceOnTheSkylines, I'm not sure if you know, but using all caps is supposed to be like yelling, so it seemed like you had a problem with her when your responded.

I can understand that, that's why I explained myself because I don't want her to misunderstand the point of the caps. Honest, one YT video would be nothing to start E-beef over.

Her point was not only for vloggers to be paid FOR their review, it is for compensation based on the increase in sales they got BECAUSE of their review. There is a difference. Many people get this compensation in the form of affiliate links.

And contrary to popular belief, companies just want their name out there. They put out a product that was tested successfully enough for them to release it. SOMEBODY is going to like it. A company being scared that vloggers are going to knock their product is not really a factor.

Celebs endorse products they don't even use for a check. The power of a review from a real, regular person is waaay more valuable (imo). And this is Taren's point. She wants people to know (who are in it for business purposes) that you're more valuable than you think you are.

What I said originally is agree that she should be compensated. How much the compensation is up for debate.

I worked at an advertising agency and have a major in Marketing so I am very aware of the huge advertising budgets some companies have and the various ways they look to get exposure for their products.

To say that the don't care how their product is viewed is absolutely false. That is the whole point of advertising. Advertising is a medium used to get consumers to believe what you want them to believe about a product. To make consumers think that they need or want to have the product you're selling. Image is everything.

Yes companies want exposure, but they don't want their name tied to something that can tarnish their image. Celebrities who get in the trouble with the law or do things within their personal lives to tarnish their image are often dropped from promotional campaigns and endorsement deals...ex) Chris Brown, Tiger Woods, various sports stars, etc. So how a product is viewed, what it's associated with, who it's associated with, and what is said about it is very important.

They will pay a small amount for just plain old "exposure" but they will pay much more for an endorsement. An endorsement is where someone talks positively about their product. Usually the person reads a script that is written for them by an advertising agency so that the proper message is conveyed.

This is the route Taren should go if she wants to make more money.

Your Cheeziness said:

She could do promos for her viewers and those target products. Say she's reviewing product X. From that moment on until a specified amount of time, they are given a special code to go to the company's site, redeemable for a coupon or sample. That way, the companies are able to actually track how much influence she has and from there, can offer her a compensation package for her promotion.

What I said originally is agree that she should be compensated. How much the compensation is up for debate.

I worked at an advertising agency and have a major in Marketing so I am very aware of the huge advertising budgets some companies have and the various ways they look to get exposure for their products.

To say that the don't care how their product is viewed is absolutely false. That is the whole point of advertising. Advertising is a medium used to get consumers to believe what you want them to believe about a product. To make consumers think that they need or want to have the product you're selling. Image is everything.

Yes companies want exposure, but they don't want their name tied to something that can tarnish their image. Celebrities who get in the trouble with the law or do things within their personal lives to tarnish their image are often dropped from promotional campaigns and endorsement deals...ex) Chris Brown, Tiger Woods, various sports stars, etc. So how a product is viewed, what it's associated with, who it's associated with, and what is said about it is very important.

They will pay a small amount for just plain old "exposure" but they will pay much more for an endorsement. An endorsement is where someone talks positively about their product. Usually the person reads a script that is written for them by an advertising agency so that the proper message is conveyed.

So, again celebs are putting their name on products they aren't even using. But, the value of a regular person with experience in the product and the "reach" (via Youtube for example) is what Taren is talking about. Taren did not say (from what I heard) that she is specifically talking about herself and wanting to make more money. This point has been thrown in this thread and is not accurate to this argument.

By your own admission (and experience) companies have ridiculously large advertising budgets. For a new generation of web-based entrepreneurs to ask for a piece of the pie is not so ridiculous. I think we both agree on that. I don't care much about the method, either.

And I'm assuming from your tone that you feel like I'm attacking you and I'm not, btw. We just happen to be online at the same time and I'm just dialoging.

She could do promos for her viewers and those target products. Say she's reviewing product X. From that moment on until a specified amount of time, they are given a special code to go to the company's site, redeemable for a coupon or sample. That way, the companies are able to actually track how much influence she has and from there, can offer her a compensation package for her promotion.

Agreed. I think Taren just wants people to be aware that they have potentially more to gain than a bottle of product. She's trying to help folks move on uuuuup...to the eastsiiiiiide. :look:

I don't have a problem with what she's saying really.

She's actually making some pretty good points imo.

I was really surprise in the video where she stated hair rules doesn't pay her for her time to do events and product reviews. I was just at a hair rules event she was hosting and if the only thing she's getting from Dickey is friendship and free products that's her fault and no one else. She really needs to pick her battles and not come to a FREE video uploading site acting arrogant like she's on Beyonce's level and needs to get product endorsements.

The funny thing is in person she comes across awkward, and insecure, but in her videos she seems as if she has her ish together. No one came up to her at the event and ask for her autograph, or approached her with tears just to be blessed in her presence. Maybe she needs to go into another hustle.

candy626 said:

:yup:

Also, it seems people are confusing reviews and ads. For example, the NYT does not get paid for every book/restaurant/design collection/tv show it reviews, but it takes ad money from book publishers/restaurant groups/design houses/networks/studios generally. She shouldn't call it a review if she is trying to get paid for it.

Your Cheeziness

No I don't feel attacked. It's just a debate. I like Taren and hope the best for her as minority woman trying to create a business for herself.

But let's face it. She was talking about being financially compensated for her efforts. I would want that too if I were her. it doesn't appear that this a side hobby for her. I was just saying instead of ranting about getting free samples and pennies for reviews, she should strategize how to make what she does a more profitable endeavor that is worth her time.

Companies pay people to say what they want about their products at the end of the day. Or they pay for an avenue where they can say what they want about their own products. If she wants "money" (compensation that is even worth talking about), that's what she should consider. She appears to be a woman who wants to be in business for herself (and already is in business for herself, since she does appearances). So the method in which she grows her business and makes money is important.

I also don't think the video helped her image (which is apparent from all the negative comments under the video). People like Taren because she appears genuine, honest, and relateable. I think some people were a little turned off by the video...

I wish her the best though.

@Your Cheeziness

No I don't feel attacked. It's just a debate. I like Taren and hope the best for her as minority woman trying to create a business for herself.

But let's face it. She was talking about being financially compensated for her efforts. I would want that too if I were her. it doesn't appear that this a side hobby for her. I was just saying instead of ranting about getting free samples and pennies for reviews, she should strategize how to make what she does a more profitable endeavor that is worth her time.

Companies pay people to say what they want about their products at the end of the day. Or they pay for an avenue where they can say what they want about their own products. If she wants "money" (compensation that is even worth talking about), that's what she should consider. She appears to be a woman who wants to be in business for herself (and already is in business for herself, since she does appearances). So the method in which she grows her business and makes money is important.

I also don't think the video helped her image (which is apparent from all the negative comments under the video). People like Taren because she appears genuine, honest, and relateable. I think some people were a little turned off by the video...

I wish her the best though.

Let me ask you this, since this is your speciality. Let's say (hypothetically speaking) that Taren starts some big "Pay the YouTubers" movement. What's your opinion on how companies may respond?

I was really surprise in the video where she stated hair rules doesn't pay her for her time to do events and product reviews. I was just at a hair rules event she was hosting and if the only thing she's getting from Dickey is friendship and free products that's her fault and no one else. She really needs to pick her battles and not come to a FREE video uploading site acting arrogant like she's on Beyonce's level and needs to get product endorsements.

The funny thing is in person she comes across awkward, and insecure, but in her videos she seems as if she has her ish together. No one came up to her at the event and ask for her autograph, or approached her with tears just to be blessed in her presence. Maybe she needs to go into another hustle.

Don't make it personal.:nono: It always ends badly.:nono: That's just mean.:ohwell:

Agreed. I think Taren just wants people to be aware that they have potentially more to gain than a bottle of product. She's trying to help folks move on uuuuup...to the eastsiiiiiide. :look:

I feel your points, which are valid, but my interpretation was slightly different. In my opinion she was on the sly saying large vloggers need/deserve compensation and by smaller vloggers continuing to accept free product it sort of undercuts what she's trying to do. Either of us could be right, but from my understanding the motive wasn't entirely to "help" her fellow vloggers. Actually I kinda think the controversial route works for her, those videos are guaranteed to be shared and get tons of views. I'm not knocking it, hell that's how Wendy Williams got her start and lawd knows I love me some Wendy. But she also went to school for journalism, interned, grinded, etc to WORK her way to the top. That is kinda the issue I am taking with Taren. I can't judge what I don't see, but basing this purely on what info we are privy to - I'm not seeing the work go into building a true business/brand that truly deserves compensation. Truly, it could be as simple as creating a media kit - sending it to companies and forming an affiliation. Doing "rants" doesn't seem to be an efficient way to promote yourself - and is obvious from the extreme reactions of some women in the comments section that it hasn't been well received by many of her supporters.

Back