Taren's catching heat on YT

I feel your points, which are valid, but my interpretation was slightly different. In my opinion she was on the sly saying large vloggers need/deserve compensation and by smaller vloggers continuing to accept free product it sort of undercuts what she's trying to do. Either of us could be right, but from my understanding the motive wasn't entirely to "help" her fellow vloggers. Actually I kinda think the controversial route works for her, those videos are guaranteed to be shared and get tons of views. I'm not knocking it, hell that's how Wendy Williams got her start and lawd knows I love me some Wendy. But she also went to school for journalism, interned, grinded, etc to WORK her way to the top. That is kinda the issue I am taking with Taren. I can't judge what I don't see, but basing this purely on what info we are privy to - I'm not seeing the work go into building a true business/brand that truly deserves compensation. Truly, it could be as simple as creating a media kit - sending it to companies and forming an affiliation. Doing "rants" doesn't seem to be an efficient way to promote yourself - and is obvious from the extreme reactions of some women in the comments section that it hasn't been well received by many of her supporters.

Nope, I did get this feeling as well. I feel that there is more than likely a "selfish" motive behind it. Like, "I can't ask for more if you don't" type of things. But, since I'm an e-tree hugger, I try to give folks the benefit of the doubt. LOL

I honestly don't see what the big deal is about what Taren said. Her point was that bloggers need to realize that they are a brand. Youtube IS a business. Why don't people get that. Youtube became a business when Google bought them and started placing ads on the site. Very similar to tv commercials and the actors get paid to be on tv nobody complains about them or tells them to "get a real job".

I watched the whole video and in that Taren stated she is incorporated and is BUSINESS entity. She has her non profit that is launching and also a tv show. She hosts events and meet ups with her Youtube brand and using the fan base that she has. How is she any different from the hosts on 106 & Park of any other host like celeb?????

So what if she wants to be compensated for her time and reviews. Like someone else's stated she has nearly 100k subs, thats a lot of people and free advertising. Why should she give an endorsement to a company in exchange for a free bottle of shampoo.

Look at Michelle Phan who is HUGE on Youtube she has a deal with Lancome. But why is it when a black woman wants to basically do the same thing oh its a problem. People acting like Taren is begging for money. Huh?????

News flash most of these "natural hair celebs" like Curlynikki, Kimmaytube, Taren, etc are getting paid and making money off the brand they created. This isn't anything new.

Here's my 2 cents: More power to anyone with a legal hustle that doesn't hurt anyone in the process.

There are hundreds of Youtubers making thousands of dollars on ad revenue alone. I am not a subscriber of her channel but I would hope that at the very least she is an ad partner with Youtube meaning that she gets paid anytime someone clicks on an ad associated with her videos.

We also have to consider that some people do what they do not because of money but because of the recognition it brings them. She made the choice to host various events without being paid but I am sure that she received other perks that have not been named.

To sum it up: "Do you boo."

Hope this hasn't been said already but I can understand where Taren is coming from but if she and many other vloggers who don't do videos as a hobby but are out to make it a business should have a business account and companies should have a merchant account or something like that. It takes money to make money Taren. I think that would only be fair because it can not be right to have a free account but trying to hustle money out of companies via your loyal followers. If that was to ever happen I'd have to be honest and say I'd probably ignore videos like that. I already seek out reviews on products and hair that have 300 and less views. My sad attempt to find honesty on YT. I don't pay attention to ads to the point that they move me to buy buy buy and if thats the direction Taren wants to go then she should be prepared to not be taken as seriously. Until she is selling something herself I can't take a review of hers seriously.

Last edited:
Well, I agree with her on the payment for reviews. I remember when I was younger and Hershey's sent some candy to me so that I could give a survey. After I submitted the survey, they sent me money. It was just a few dollars but still, they paid me. I was a kid so I honestly would have been happy with just the free candy.

This is such an interesting discussion.

:yup:

Also, it seems people are confusing reviews and ads. For example, the NYT does not get paid for every book/restaurant/design collection/tv show it reviews, but it takes ad money from book publishers/restaurant groups/design houses/networks/studios generally. She shouldn't call it a review if she is trying to get paid for it.

From my understanding, if a company contacts a blogger asking them to do a review of a product, the blogger receives the product for free but no additional compensation is involved. The company understands, however, that since they are not compensating the blogger they are allowing the blogger to state their opinion about the product publicly... even if it is negative. That's the risk the company takes.

Now if the company paid the blogger to show their product on their YouTube channel, then that's considered an advertisement since the blogger is being compensated for endorsing the product. However, the blogger does lose credibility with their target audience since they are doing a paid "review" of the product. That's the risk the blogger has to take.

I was really surprise in the video where she stated hair rules doesn't pay her for her time to do events and product reviews. I was just at a hair rules event she was hosting and if the only thing she's getting from Dickey is friendship and free products that's her fault and no one else. She really needs to pick her battles and not come to a FREE video uploading site acting arrogant like she's on Beyonce's level and needs to get product endorsements.

I've heard that if a blogger going to an event on the behalf of a company, they're called "brand ambassadors" and are usually being compensated for their time (plus they usually get their travel and hotel paid for) - as they should since they're pretty much publicly endorsing the product and the company. If Taren wasn't compensated for her time... well she definitely should have pushed for it in this case. You live and you learn, I guess.

I was really surprise in the video where she stated hair rules doesn't pay her for her time to do events and product reviews. I was just at a hair rules event she was hosting and if the only thing she's getting from Dickey is friendship and free products that's her fault and no one else. She really needs to pick her battles and not come to a FREE video uploading site acting arrogant like she's on Beyonce's level and needs to get product endorsements.

The funny thing is in person she comes across awkward, and insecure, but in her videos she seems as if she has her ish together. No one came up to her at the event and ask for her autograph, or approached her with tears just to be blessed in her presence. Maybe she needs to go into another hustle.

I've witnessed just the opposite...

More madness, what's new. Going back to watch Sherlock.

Well as a blogger I know that we have to state in writing in a disclaimer when are paid to write a post or do a review on something we received for free, so I would assumed being a vlogger you would have to do the say thing either say it in your video or add a disclaimer to the description box. It is a rule by FTC (Federal Trade Commission)

I'm unsure if this is true or if companies abide by it because, once upon a time I had a part time gig of writing reviews for a MAJOR company. I doubt if that company would have risked begining exposed by an employee and fined by the FTC.

There are many companies that do this. Anyone can write a review for a product on Amazon and other sites. Email addresses and usernames are free.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is about what Taren said. Her point was that bloggers need to realize that they are a brand. Youtube IS a business. Why don't people get that. Youtube became a business when Google bought them and started placing ads on the site. Very similar to tv commercials and the actors get paid to be on tv nobody complains about them or tells them to "get a real job".

I watched the whole video and in that Taren stated she is incorporated and is BUSINESS entity. She has her non profit that is launching and also a tv show. She hosts events and meet ups with her Youtube brand and using the fan base that she has. How is she any different from the hosts on 106 & Park of any other host like celeb?????

So what if she wants to be compensated for her time and reviews. Like someone else's stated she has nearly 100k subs, thats a lot of people and free advertising. Why should she give an endorsement to a company in exchange for a free bottle of shampoo.

Look at Michelle Phan who is HUGE on Youtube she has a deal with Lancome. But why is it when a black woman wants to basically do the same thing oh its a problem. People acting like Taren is begging for money. Huh?????

News flash most of these "natural hair celebs" like Curlynikki, Kimmaytube, Taren, etc are getting paid and making money off the brand they created. This isn't anything new.

I think Michelle Phan is great and a deal like that is awesome. I believe Taren is very capable of getting that type of deal with a company in the hair care business but not by ranting about how much she is worth. Michelle Phan is a skilled artist ... and Taren is a skilled stylist? Not to take away from Taren but I don't think the two are comparable, race doesn't have much to do with it on this instance. Let me know if I'm wrong.

DDTexlaxed said:
Don't make it personal.:nono: It always ends badly.:nono: That's just mean.:ohwell:

It's never personal because I don't know her personally, just my opinion. I still like her non rant videos and think she's an okay person with good intentions. But if she wants to truly make money she needs to do it through different means.

Sent from my lavish iPhone

empressri said:
I've witnessed just the opposite...

More madness, what's new. Going back to watch Sherlock.

empressri well at the event I saw her at she said something that came across as questionable. Maybe she was nervous and answered the questioned that way. Your opinion or view just might be different.

empressri well at the event I saw her at she said something that came across as questionable. Maybe she was nervous and answered the questioned that way. Your opinion or view just might be different.

No I mean people were coming up to her and whatnot, if anyone wanted to talk they had to push through the throngs.

I know what she said that was questionable, my friend put me on, so NO COMMENT!!!!!! :lachen:

But perhaps that is why things have changed? Cause the event I'm speaking of was before that last one.

I would really like to know how much product these popular YT gurus really push? 50k subscribers sounds like alot in the world of youtube but on a national stage it's not much.

For instance, a youtuber has 50k subscribers. She/he reviews a product. Of the 50k subscribers not all of them will watch the vid. Some won't be interested in the product. Others will be on the fence about the product. Let's just say that 5% or 2500 of the subscribers go out and purchase the product. The product is priced at $5. This means the company will have sales of $12,500. If the company has national sales of let's say $500k for this one product that means the youtuber only added .025% or 2.5% to the company's sales. Is that really worth it to a company to pay a percentage of sales for this type of return?

For the record, I am leaving out the expenses/costs a company incurrs when producing and marketing a product which is deducted from sales to determine profit.

It's great these youtubers are making money and going into business, but, some of them need to look at things from a business perspective and actually put numbers on paper to see if it makes sense.

My scenario is just an example and I have no idea how much money the vloggers can add to a company's bottom line, but, instead of, making rant vids these chicks need to start researching and writing proposals to approach companies about setting up deals to get paid for reviews.

Of course, they can only get the company's interested if they can show/convince that they can significantly increase a company's bottom line.

Last edited:
To be honest, I think the vid was completely unnecessary. She seems to be very self entitled just because she has reached a certain number of subs. It's not that serious.

I also dont like when some youtubers put themselves in the same category as celebrities.. I mean, get over it! Everyone does not know your name.

Celebrities get paid to put their name and face to a company and of course you are going to buy Loreal hair color because Beyonce's face is on the package... lol
But shes not Beyonce...

She needs to humble herself.

I would really like to know how much product these popular YT gurus really push? 50k subscribers sounds like alot in the world of youtube but on a national stage it's not much.

For instance, a youtuber has 50k subscribers. She/he reviews a product. Of the 50k subscribers not all of them will watch the vid. Some won't be interested in the product. Others will be on the fence about the product. Let's just say that 5% or 2500 of the subscribers go out and purchase the product. The product is priced at $5. This means the company will make $12,500. If the company has national sales of let's say $500k for this one product that means the youtuber only added .025% or 2.5% to the company's sales. Is that really worth it to a company to pay a percentage of sales for this type of return?

For the record, I am leaving out the expenses/costs a company incurrs when producing and marketing a product which is deducted from sales to determine profit.

It's great these youtubers are making money and going into business, but, some of them need to look at things from a business perspective and actually put numbers on paper to see if it makes sense.

My scenario is just an example and I have no idea how much money the vloggers can add to a company's bottom line, but, instead of, making rant vids these chicks need to start researching and writing proposals to approach companies about setting up deals to get paid for reviews.

Of course, they can only get the company's interested if they can show/convince that they can significantly increase a company's bottom line.

You have opened my eyes even wider. Taren had a thought and ran with it but didn't take the time or had the knowledge to see her real worth outside of YT. I get it, Taren wants to make money but don't rant about your business/hobby that actually doesn't amount to much on a national scale. Now if Taren had a production going, did something like infomercials then I'd be like pay the girl but who does all that work without money up front? Thanks for your post knt1229 it all makes sense.

The whole nail polish analogy Taren spoke about in the video should've been edited out because it doesn't help her case. But it is a great example of what she expects to get paid for. :nono:
Wish her non profit and tv show the best.

I'm surprised at all the talk about youtube not being a business, etc...I don't think anything could be further from the truth. Sure, some of us do it for fun and just to be part of the "scene," but people like Taren, Naptural85 and Mahogany Curls are putting in major time and effort into making and editing and uploading these things. I see a huge difference between their vids with the intros, and full make up and just average "Hey ya'll" in the bathroom vids of the majority of folk out there. Not only that, but keepin' it 100, the more popular you tubers do have a certain amount of "celebrity" among the interest group. And who's most likely to be buying products based on YT reviews? Those of us watching YT reviews. So no, Beyonce might not be hawking Kinky Curly, but nobody on this site (or the others) is checking for Beyonce's hair regimen. So...meh. She's giving her opinion. I think she makes some valid points about the free advertising. These companies have to pay to get a picture of their product put anywhere else--except your youtube video.

Just a thought...if a company is paying you for a review, I'm going to assume they want positive feedback to generate business (rhetorical, of course they do).

But what if you HATE the product and say this in your video and no one wants to buy it??

I guess Taren wants to be like Ateyaa. To me, Ateyaa is all about making her money which is fine, but if I want an honest review, I don't go to Ateyaa's channel.

Just a thought...if a company is paying you for a review, I'm going to assume they want positive feedback to generate business (rhetorical, of course they do).

But what if you HATE the product and say this in your video and no one wants to buy it??

A company can't MAKE you rescind your review. But some people (a weave guru - thomasadriana) is very vocal about her like or dislike of products she's provided. It's what makes her credible to me. Just tell the company up front that if you don't like the product you're going to say so. They'll either say okay or keep it moving to the next yes man.

I guess Taren wants to be like Ateyaa. To me, Ateyaa is all about making her money which is fine, but if I want an honest review, I don't go to Ateyaa's channel.

Nawww son! I can't imagine Taren reviewing a horrible looking wig like Ateyaa and acting like people can't see its trash.

From what I see Taren gives pretty even reviews. Most of the videos I watch of her now are non-beauty like her vids giving mens perspectives or about reaching for your dreams, etc

A company can't MAKE you rescind your review. But some people (a weave guru - thomasadriana) is very vocal about her like or dislike of products she's provided. It's what makes her credible to me. Just tell the company up front that if you don't like the product you're going to say so. They'll either say okay or keep it moving to the next yes man.

Oh I know they can't make you do anything.

Some people are SO stupid though, I reviewed products that I paid for and the ingredients were crap and this girl said that because I balked at the ingredients she thought the review was unfair.

There are all types.

I'll never forget her "reviewing" some Sigma brushes she didn't use. How do you review something you haven't even tried out yet. She just opened up the package looked at them and said they were the same as MAC brushes.

"Yep, same thing..." ~Ateyaa

Companies don't just send people freebies with the hope that either they will say something nice or (like Taren) say nothing at all if they didn't like it.

Bad reviews have value, both to consumers and to the companies. When you see a product advertise "More product!" "New scent!" "Improved formula!", they don't just do these things randomly. They listen to the consumers. And in this case, even the vlog reviews. They note the more commonly heard opinions and suggestions and take them back to their R&D teams to see if they can improve upon their products, and if they can, they often do.

If a company is paying you, you should be making them money. Meaning that even if you don't like the product, you should be acting like you do. If I own a business and pay someone to promote it, they damn sure better say they like it. If they don't, it was a waste of money for the company. That's NOT a review.

& I know that if these companies pay her, she would be under a contract and told not bad mouth the company and their products.

I think Michelle Phan is great and a deal like that is awesome. I believe Taren is very capable of getting that type of deal with a company in the hair care business but not by ranting about how much she is worth. Michelle Phan is a skilled artist ... and Taren is a skilled stylist? Not to take away from Taren but I don't think the two are comparable, race doesn't have much to do with it on this instance. Let me know if I'm wrong.

I mentioned race because nobody questions all the other races on Youtube getting sponsored or paid to review or talk about products.

I think Taren also brought up that point in her videos. There aren't any black youtubers who are as big as Michelle Phan or Elle & Blair except for Destorm. Even him honestly!! He gets paid for stuff and nobody questions him.

My point is why are people making such a big deal about Taren wanting to get paid????? Does she have to be a licensed hair stylist in order to get paid for reviews???

Maybe the way in which she did was unprofessional. And maybe not. Last night on blogtv Taren said that some companies actually contacted her and said that they agreed with her video. She also got a lot of new subscribers from that video.

So who knows maybe it wasn't a bad move on her part.

Nawww son! I can't imagine Taren reviewing a horrible looking wig like Ateyaa and acting like people can't see its trash.

From what I see Taren gives pretty even reviews. Most of the videos I watch of her now are non-beauty like her vids giving mens perspectives or about reaching for your dreams, etc

LOL! Well, not just like Ateyaa, but she def used YT as a platform. I know she has the Motions deal, and I have hella respect for her for that. If Taren wants to paid for reviews because she's making a company money, she will be like that celebrity who gets paid to endorse. You are paid to sell the product. Period. She won't be able to give her honest opinion because it will be her job to sell. And as much as we like to laugh at Ateyaa, she is the only one that has come up off of doing hair care and wig and weave videos.

Even if the review was negative i thought she notifies the company first that she didnt like the product and then its up to them to decide if they still want a review or not. The company can look at it as constructive crticism and consider changes to the product if theres a common complaint

Back