Super Coily Hair. Anyone else?

Girl I was just a grumpy mess. I'm not about that just waking up life apparently lol.

Ok, do real question. Why do folks feel I have no shrinkage?? I'm trying to understand which is why I ask.

We aren't saying that you have no shrinkage but you have less than many of us. I have 75% to 85% shrinkage. So instead of the hair laying on your neck your hair would be up to your ears. So many of us could do the same WNG but end up with more of an afro and not get the hang time you do.

We aren't saying that you have no shrinkage but you have less than many of us. I have 75% to 85% shrinkage. So instead of the hair laying on your neck your hair would be up to your ears. So many of us could do the same WNG but end up with more of an afro and not get the hang time you do.

faithVA ok I see what you are saying. But this leads me to say that I only get hang time with gel. When I use conditioner only (such as the pics at the beginning of this topic) my hair shrunk up to the heavens. Does this not count when dealing with shrinkage?

@faithVA ok I see what you are saying. But this leads me to say that I only get hang time with gel. When I use conditioner only (such as the pics at the beginning of this topic) my hair shrunk up to the heavens. Does this not count when dealing with shrinkage?

Will have to let the other ladies chime in. So far even if I put gel on, my hair shrinks. I would have to band my hair or twist it and let it dry to have the same shrinkage as you. I think that is what most of the ladies are in awe about. Usually a 3c or 4a can do what you do but not a 4b.

faithVA said:
Will have to let the other ladies chime in. So far even if I put gel on, my hair shrinks. I would have to band my hair or twist it and let it dry to have the same shrinkage as you. I think that is what most of the ladies are in awe about. Usually a 3c or 4a can do what you do but not a 4b.

faithVA ok, this makes COMPLETE sense. The youtubers i've watched that said they are 4b or 4c would wash and go without banding and they would have i guess hangtime. This is what im talking about. It can thoroughly cause confusion when they intentionally/unintentionally do this.

Sent from the corner pay phone

Girl I was just a grumpy mess. I'm not about that just waking up life apparently lol.

Ok, do real question. Why do folks feel I have no shrinkage?? I'm trying to understand which is why I ask.

LOL! You most definitely have shrinkage :yep:, it's just that for how long your hair is it's not that bad :look:. That's way I used my (envious) self as an example.

You: SL-APL stretched= almost SL wng
Me: ~MBL stretched= full ear-length to NL wng. . . on a good day :lol:.

I'm wearing a stretched 2nd day wng now, and my hair is as long as your first day :nono:.

ckisland said:
LOL! You most definitely have shrinkage :yep:, it's just that for how long your hair is it's not that bad :look:. That's way I used my (envious) self as an example.

You: SL-APL stretched= almost SL wng
Me: ~MBL stretched= full ear-length to NL wng. . . on a good day :lol:.

I'm wearing a stretched 2nd day wng now, and my hair is as long as your first day :nono:.

ckisland wow that definitely is a ton of shrinkage you have there.

I am on day 3 of this wash and go and alas my hair has shriveled to above my ears :lol: :lol:

Gotta love our hair :yep:

naturalmanenyc said:
Je Ne Sais Quoi

Interesting that your hair shrinks more as the days go by. My hair tends to get bigger over the course of a few days. By Friday I expect my wash & go to be huge.

Yes, it shrinks up!! It is nuts lol. It seems the gel only elongates my hair for like two days then the coils just sort of take over and shrink up

My shingled hair looks similar to yours. I think I'm a frizzy 4A (high porosity) and about 50% shrinkage. My wng never stuck straight up, always out or down. My hair is sunbleached easily as well. My ends are very red, while my roots are brown.

I think hair typing is a decent place to start but it doesn't make any sense to fit every afro textured head of hair into 1 or 2 groups. It's definitely possible to have properties of several hair types and not fit into one specific type.

My shingled hair looks similar to yours. I think I'm a frizzy 4A (high porosity) and about 50% shrinkage. My wng never stuck straight up, always out or down. My hair is sunbleached easily as well. My ends are very red, while my roots are brown.

I think hair typing is a decent place to start but it doesn't make any sense to fit every afro textured head of hair into 1 or 2 groups. It's definitely possible to have properties of several hair types and not fit into one specific type.

manter26 is that sun bleached hair that I have? How annoying is that?!?! and I agree with you about hair typing. I have learned that we don't fall neatly into one box.

manter26 is that sun bleached hair that I have? How annoying is that?!?! and I agree with you about hair typing. I have learned that we don't fall neatly into one box.

I assume so. At least that's why my ends are lightened. I don't mind my color change. There are products that have UV protection in them. CHI Shine Spray is one that I can think of.

[USER=13177 said:
Je Ne Sais Quoi[/USER];18289657]@manter26 is that sun bleached hair that I have? How annoying is that?!?! and I agree with you about hair typing. I have learned that we don't fall neatly into one box.

I know you were looking for a hair twin, but since the thread is here, can we collaborate and share yt links of 4b, 4c in here? Then maybe this can just be a hang out thread.

faithVA said:
I know you were looking for a hair twin, but since the thread is here, can we collaborate and share yt links of 4b, 4c in here? Then maybe this can just be a hang out thread.

faithVA yes!!!! Feel free.

Nothing to add, just wanted to say i LERVS yer WnG!

As for shrinkage yours is great! Mine? Pffft... A wng with gel with my SL (back layer) to NL hair look like a 1" TWA with ZERO clumping. It's just a cottonball :ohwell: However, like yours, mines tends to shrink even more til next wash...it's gotten so tight it was uncomfortable on my own damn scalp! WTF is that? LOL I'll be like the lady upthread with MBL stretched and a 3" TWA-lookin puff shrunken.

Anyhoo, enjoy your hair! It's beautiful. And good luck on finding your hair twin!

I think we are close--I have 4abcZ lol every kinda 4 on earth on my head...that is a pic with no product applied---just stretched with clips earlier.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 143
ryanshope, your hair is freaking gorgeous :lick:. How did you clip your hair? I wish my 4a sections behaved as well as yours do. I have the curl pattern, but it's so kinky that strands want to fight each other :perplexed.

Just laughing @ the idea of using gel to get hangtime... OP I have the same hair with Nonie and virtuenow ... The only thing gel does is give me a hard fro.. My hair ALWAYS loooks like 2 - 3 inches max shrunken even when I was BSL...

OP your hair is very pretty... I think maybe some products/techniques can buy you hangtime... Your hair is similar to Naptural85 no?

When I think of coily Youtuber's, the only one I can identify with is KinkyKurlyQueen. I think Nap85 is definitely a coily head, but her hair is more silky than mine, so the pattern is more apparent.

Wow, all the beautiful hair in this thread! :love:

Here's my *tiny* contribution: I have coils in random spots of my head, mostly bordering my hairline-but in patches. They kind of hide underneath my other curls though! Like others have stated, I also have 4abz and a small section of 3c at the very back (which I keep trimmed shorter because it stands out and hangs way past the other hair-see pic).

Some of my coils (like the one pictured above) are actually the same size or a little bit smaller than coffee stirrers.

Attachments

• IMG_20130429_223129.jpg
    IMG_20130429_223129.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20130429_223156.jpg
    IMG_20130429_223156.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20130429_223230.jpg
    IMG_20130429_223230.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20120801_152926.jpg
    IMG_20120801_152926.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20121015_220533.jpg
    IMG_20121015_220533.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 171
image-1116586349.jpg

My shrinkage. I have no hang time.
The pic on the left is my hair in its natural state. The pic on the right is a Dominican Blow Out (DBO). I have some serious shrinkage. Lol

My hair is even coilier. Im 4b and my twa is half that size. Im also apl, but im a straight hair natural. I couldnt retain any length with my hair shrunken, matted and knotting all the time. I would love to have hair like yours OP

Back