Super Coily Hair. Anyone else?

natura87 said:
You are my hair twin.:grin: I consider myself 4a, my coild are literally the size of coffee stirring stick, I'm low porosity, medium thickness, dense and coarse.

I feel so liberated :lol: do you have any pics?

Sent from the corner pay phone

Girl yes!!! I JUST made a thread about that a few days ago MissMusic what hair type do you believe you are?

Judging by the hair chart in Reneice's latest video, I'm a 4c or 4a, but I just go with 4a cause all of the 4c's I see have no pattern, and in my hair the coils are definitely always popin.

I think I may be close to a hair twin of yours. My hair is 4a/b. The pics are of my hair when I was natural, currently back transitioning. My hair is very coily as well.

Attachments

• image-2661802768.jpg
    image-2661802768.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 154
  • image-2234622071.jpg
    image-2234622071.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 135
I think my hair is like yours but you have larger coils than I do @Je Ne Sais Quoi so you can do a WNG, while if I did, my hair would just look unkempt. But it is very coily. I don't use any products in my hair and this is what my hair looks like close up if I just wash and airdry w/o manipulating it:

IMG00150201010100115-vi.jpg

And my shrinkage is as crazy as @virtuenow's. Here's a demo from a couple of years or so ago:

Shrinkage2010-vi.jpg

I believe all 3's and 4's have coils if hair is unmanipulated. 4B coils are so small thought that the only way to see the coils is to separate the strands and view them apart.

In the image below, a twist unraveled as I was washing, while not forming defined clumped coils like 4A or the 3's, you can see the strands are forming coils because that is what the pattern the hair follicle sends out.

IMG_4423-vi.jpg

Of course I wouldn't leave it coily or I'd end up with a nest I couldn't comb. The hair you see below has been finger-combed wet to separate strands--something I'm obsessed with--but if I were to let this dry even in this separated state, I'd not be able to comb it, especially coz the hair here is bare:

4BCurlsClearinWetNakedHair-vi.jpg

Notice that because of size of my coils (1/8 of an inch), there's no cupping of the strands so that the coils are magnified as in the case of someone with bigger coils like you OP. So in my case, all you see is a cloud, but it doesn't negate the existence of coils.

So most of the time, when you see my hair, if it is in a manipulated state to sort of open up the strands to prevent tangles:

tangledZigzagShapeFromBraiding-vi.jpg

So OP if your question is does anyone have coily hair, the answer is all 4's do even though many never let them show. But if your question is do their WNGs look like yours, the answer is, if they have big coils 4A coils, yes. If not, then no. To get what you have 4B's would have to shingle to get that look because the coils are too tiny to clump easily without help so that the pattern can be magnified by several strands united uniformly.

Last edited:
Nonie said:
I think my hair is like yours but you have larger coils than I do @Je Ne Sais Quoi so you can do a WNG, while if I did, my hair would just look unkempt. But it is very coily. I don't use any products in my hair and this is what my hair looks like close up if I just wash and airdry w/o manipulating it:

And my shrinkage is as crazy as @virtuenow's. Here's a demo from a couple of years or so ago:

I believe all 3's and 4's have coils if hair is unmanipulated. 4B coils are so small thought that the only way to see the coils is to separate the strands and view them apart.

In the image below, a twist unraveled as I was washing, while not forming defined clumped coils like 4A or the 3's, you can see the strands are forming coils because that is what the pattern the hair follicle sends out.

Of course I wouldn't leave it coily or I'd end up with a nest I couldn't comb. The hair you see below has been finger-combed wet to separate strands--something I'm obsessed with--but if I were to let this dry even in this separated state, I'd not be able to comb it, especially coz the hair here is bare:

Notice that because of size of my coils (1/8 of an inch), there's no cupping of the strands so that the coils are magnified as in the case of someone with bigger coils like you OP. So in my case, all you see is a cloud, but it doesn't negate the existence of coils.

So most of the time, when you see my hair, if it is in a manipulated state to sort of open up the strands to prevent tangles:

So OP if your question is does anyone have coily hair, the answer is all 4's do even though many never let them show. But if your question is do their WNGs look like yours, the answer is, if they have big coils 4A coils, yes. If not, then no. To get what you have 4B's would have to shingle to get that look because the coils are too tiny to clump easily without help so that the pattern can be magnified by several strands united uniformly.

Thanks for responding. I know that 4's have coils its just that i have never come across anyone whose hair looked like mine if that makes sense. Though technically i am a 4a ish head i cant really connect with people that claim 4a. Nor can i really see myself in 4b or 4c heads. My hair is kind of like a 4a but also kind of like a 4c but i dont fall cleanly into any category within the 4 range. I have looked at countless youtube videos and have found like 2-3 people that my hair resembles.

@bgsix, I really find that using a specific moisturizer is not the key to keeping my hair moisturized, instead its about using a creamy moisturizer under a butter. Good combo's for include Kinky Curly Knot-Today and Shea Butter or Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Giovanni Direct Leave-In and Shea Butter or Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin Restructurizer and Shea Butter, etc. HTH!

That was very helpful. I have noticed that the products don't seem to matter. I don't have any butters but I will give it a try when I get some. I probably wasn't pairing the butter correctly before and just got greasy hair.

Je Ne Sais Quoi - BINGO! I am your hair twin. I wish I knew how to post via this iPad.

So after all of these years, the key to growth Je Ne Sais Quoi is co-washing, something that I do not do, because I thought and considered it manipulating the hair too much, and I hate dealing with my hair because it is very thick. I am a 4ab.

The shrinkage is terrible. Chiiiile.....I wore a wash n whateva and my hair was like 2 inches. Of course I was around the house. I just keep it in twists.

In conclusion, based on all of my reading, conwashing 4ab hair and a little shea butter mixture equates growth, in my opinion.

My hair grows very well, I just never co wash on a daily or semi daily basis. Maybe I will start and try it for a month. I keep my hair nder wigs.

Pardon the long post. Felt like I just wrote a damn book report minus da newport one hunnit!

Je Ne Sais Quoi - BINGO! I am your hair twin. I wish I knew how to post via this iPad.

So after all of these years, the key to growth Je Ne Sais Quoi is co-washing, something that I do not do, because I thought and considered it manipulating the hair too much, and I hate dealing with my hair because it is very thick. I am a 4ab.

The shrinkage is terrible. Chiiiile.....I wore a wash n whateva and my hair was like 2 inches. Of course I was around the house. I just keep it in twists.

In conclusion, based on all of my reading, conwashing 4ab hair and a little shea butter mixture equates growth, in my opinion.

My hair grows very well, I just never co wash on a daily or semi daily basis. Maybe I will start and try it for a month. I keep my hair nder wigs.

Pardon the long post. Felt like I just wrote a damn book report minus da newport one hunnit!
I would looooove to see a pitcha if you figure it out. I think you go to "manage attachments" right underneath the box where you type responses.

So yeah, if you start cowashing I want to give you one solid tip. Wash in sections!! You don't want your hair to matt together plus this helps ensure that all areas get wet and properly moisturized. You can even use those sections when you get out the shower so that it's easier to apply product section by section :yep:

Its in the clouds and I have to sinc it. Its on my iphone *sighs*. I thought the pics sinc'd with the pad and my phone *oh well*

But anywho, I will give it a shot for a month, moisturize and keep it movin.

i wash my hair in twists so this should work!

natura87 said:
No. I havent figured out how to upload pics from my phone but when I do I will post them in this thread.

You are like my hair mom!! OMG!!!! I finally found where I belong!!!

Damn now i feel old, being your hair mom and all :look: can we be cousins or sisters or something? :lachen: :lachen: :giggle: natura87

natura87 said:
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: Yes.:lol: You can be my older hair cousin or sister!!

:lol: alright im ok with that!! Lol!!

I think i am seriously going to make a few videos in case there are others of our kind out there feeling abandoned

Checking in because portions of hair on my head are super duper coily. I think that I'm a combo 4abz! Still not sure what porosity is all about so I won't speak on it!

I have hair like this. My shrinkage is over 50% of my actual length, very coily- small coils all over. I'll have to rummage for some pictures. Your pictures give me hope to try the wash n go again.

I have super coily hair but my hair shrinks way more than yours. The day my wash n goes can look longer than 1-2 inches :ohwell:

Your hair looks just like my day 2 hair, but we have diff textures and I have like 50 percent shrinkage.

I need to take a picture but I usually wet it before day two because the shrinkage is ridiculous.

:lol: alright im ok with that!! Lol!!

I think i am seriously going to make a few videos in case there are others of our kind out there feeling abandoned

Seriously . I hate watching YT videos expecting to see 4ab and the person has 3b hair. Like WTF!!! Dont lie to me!!

natura87 said:
Seriously . I hate watching YT videos expecting to see 4ab and the person has 3b hair. Like WTF!!! Dont lie to me!!

:lol: i know, right???

I took a ton of pics today of my fresh cowashed hair. Will post when i get to work

Alright, today i did a wash and shingle using eco gel. Lets get started, shall we?

How i woke up. Apparently I was still a little grumpy :look:
1627F4D8-79A3-4330-8CAB-5B589EDFF706-5388-000005BD9513895B_zpsdc87cbf7.jpg

29F11D16-38AD-49E3-AD3B-9A9DA37F4E42-5388-000005BDA1E6E66A_zpsb5633a55.jpg

My texture after cowashing

F3968299-8C4C-4F4D-B2C6-C936AB459331-5388-000005BDAC271E8C_zps19586617.jpg

273143F9-DAD6-44F5-96F5-E9F3200E1A03-5388-000005BDC0C254BA_zps02ae4524.jpg

Applying leave in, gel etc

16231EAA-89F1-45FF-B1E6-B19E9F3937C1-5388-000005BDE094273C_zps5d186a9d.jpg

50D4CA09-B76F-4225-ACF8-6546E90AE16B-5388-000005BDF5347433_zps4f659497.jpg

03E00481-473B-4205-A812-764FD1F45A10-5388-000005BDFEB25E20_zps5ad2da22.jpg

34D52451-C83F-49AE-8112-377715C89AAE-5388-000005BE06CFEC83_zps9c04f5a5.jpg

E77FAE21-0911-4F89-ADF5-9AFE8A49D81B-5388-000005BE1CBD7A0C_zps35878351.jpg

Now we start air drying

C599D5F7-8FA5-4355-9345-95B4FF3D949B-5388-000005BE26FF00F6_zpse4d1fa16.jpg

1700CF3B-6EED-49A9-BA39-A15F611D98FF-5388-000005BE31BDEF7B_zpse65732ea.jpg

You see the two tone coloring? Wth is that????

39540246-E7D9-4979-8343-FB5C5DA0804D-5388-000005BE37D037D9_zps65821b0c.jpg

Alright, i will post more tonight when it is dry.

Last edited:
So we are definitely hair sister except I think my front texture is a little looser then yours but everything else is the same. I do believe I have wayyy more shrinkage then you but the texture looks similar.You can check my fotki for my wash n go back in my earlier albums.

Very nice OP! That style is pretty.

I have never tried a wash and go. I'm style challenged anyway. My hair has more than 50% shrinkage but because of a bad tangling experience early when I BCed, I don't let it shrink up that much at all.

OP, you're hair is so pretty, but your morning pic had me :lachen:.

The back half of my hair is just like yours but the front and crown is something between a 3c and 4a :look:. I'm mad at your lack of shrinkage though!! I'm MBL and my hair shrinks as much as yours. You have like 50% shrinkage, and I got to live with the 75% :rolleyes:.

I want to find my hair twin but I think I have too many curl patterns going on, plus one half of my hair is kinkier than the other!

OP, you're hair is so pretty, but your morning pic had me :lachen:.

The back half of my hair is just like yours but the front and crown is something between a 3c and 4a :look:. I'm mad at your lack of shrinkage though!! I'm MBL and my hair shrinks as much as yours. You have like 50% shrinkage, and I got to live with the 75% :rolleyes:.

I want to find my hair twin but I think I have too many curl patterns going on, plus one half of my hair is kinkier than the other!

Girl I was just a grumpy mess. I'm not about that just waking up life apparently lol.

Ok, do real question. Why do folks feel I have no shrinkage?? I'm trying to understand which is why I ask.

Back