Summer 2010 Growth Challenge

I would like to join. Starting pic is in my siggy, but I have since dusted my ends and have had some breakage at my temples.

Length: Shoulder length - layered
Reggie: Co-wash daily & Wasn n Go
Type: Texturized, 3-4x per year

Regimen
Co-wash - Joico, Motions, Suave
Leave in - my own mixture in spray bottle
Moisture: curl activator or wave nouveau
Styler: MJ Curly Pudding, Uncle Funky Daughter's Creme
Oils - my hair hates oils
Air dry or diffuse on cold air to get rid of excess water

DC - usually 1x every two weeks...will improve to 2x per week due to breakage...:yep:

nothing special. on sort of a product junkie tip trying to perfect what to use for my summer styles since frizz is a MENACE at the moment. i think i like what i used today: tresemme naturals moisture condiitioner. garnier fructis smoothing milk, aloe vera gel, smooth and shine silk fusion. my hair is currently set in 6 braids. we will see how i feel about it in the morning.

Doing a tea rinse and dcing today... bunning until Thursday. I really really need to get back to drinking more water... I can tell the difference in how I feel when I'm not drinking water like I'm supposed to...

well I will b washing this sat, after taking down my cornrows i have in for 2 weeks. (i keep them cornrowed under my half wig.) I will do my usual deep condition(1hour). spray in my motions cpr... and then air dry, after that re-braid and and use my megatek and mn mix... alternate days till the next time... my growth is looking great... very thick n full (keeping things simple), i am also not using any type of heat!and hopefully(fingers crossed) by october my six month stretch im at least shoulder length or beyond!

I washed and did a deep treatment (Henna, amla powders mixed with conditioners and oils) all day Sunday then put it into twists. I must say that my curl definition was amazing. I have an accordion mirror in the shower but I've decided not inspect my hair anymore for a few weeks while I'm in the shower, but rather pay more attention to the FEEL of my hair. I am going to shampoo and deep condition my hair again tomorrow afternoon with the same mix then put it back into twists.

I finally got to use Chagrin Valley's new Butter Conditioner Bar. OMG! I am in love with this one. Couldn't get over how soft my hair was afterwards. I only used an ACV rinse and sealed my damp hair with coconut oil.
No drying effect, scalp clean and just nice nice nice. I braided (just a few- 12) and the softness lasted for days. I then took out the braids and wore in a bun/puff -still pretty soft for the rest of the week w/ daily moisturizing.

I usually do coconut milk washes once or twice a month and this left my hair just as soft.:yep:

Ok, it was my first time and I should have waited to see after a few more washes... I'll be back! :lachen:
Happy growing, Ladies!!

Last edited:
my hair is doing good. straight for the week so i could trim and reshape my layers before i got my highlights. my longest layer is at the top of my bra. i want it at the bottom by the end of the summer. this will be my last time straightening until about end of August for my Birthday =)

just ordered mega tek from hope's braids. anxious for it to arrive.

also i've been co-washing everyday and spritzing my hair with diluted scurl.

Started doing some cardio exercises this week. (Wii fit and My Personal Trainer) :grin: Hopefully this will increase my hair growth and give me a banging body.

Still too lazy to detangle my hair. I can feel a mass of knots up in there. I will have to do something with my hair this weekend.

I too am on the fence with relaxing my hair:sad:

I decided at the spur of the moment to do a henna treatment in my hair last night. Its been a while since I've done one. Its still in. I'm waiting for a couple of packages to come and then I will wash it out and deep condition with ors hair mayo. I mixed my henna with pretty much everything I had around. Some ao hsr, kbb herbal con, kbb hair oil, and water. We'll see how it comes out.

i decided to go ahead and wash and deep condtion my hair today... it's looking great! today I made 8 weeks post, i hope i can make it to my six month stretch so far so good, I normally relax 12 weeks.... so i'm going to keep my hair moisturized and keep it cornrowed under my half wig like i've been doing!wish me luck...on to 12 weeks!

I just got done taking down my full weave with just my bangs out in the front because it was itching like hell & come to find out the middle of my head my scalp had busted & I had a nasty scar like when you get burnt by a perm I'm hot but I'll get over it. I guess the braids & sewing was to tight.

Now I have my mega-tek/ dr.miracles / garnier fructis/ & water in my head. Probably keep it in unil afternthe Laker game & wash it out with my Motions shampoo (love the smell) & get it braided in 2 layers tomorrow.

I wanna add some summer colors to my hair but I'm scared buy I seen a nice way to do it with weave so I might try that for my birthday on the 21st.

I dug up one of my trusty half wigs and have been protective styling this week. I also made my very first quick weave wig using Outre duby hair weave. :yep:It came out decent for someone with my lack of ability. I plan to style and wear it to church. I hope to post pics. I think I'll be wigging it until the end of the last week of June when I hope to do mini twists.

I decided at the spur of the moment to do a henna treatment in my hair last night. Its been a while since I've done one. Its still in. I'm waiting for a couple of packages to come and then I will wash it out and deep condition with ors hair mayo. I mixed my henna with pretty much everything I had around. Some ao hsr, kbb herbal con, kbb hair oil, and water. We'll see how it comes out.

I'm sitting here looking at a kit of henna/indigo and still can't decide if I want to doit :look:.
Let us know how it turns out.. pretty please? :yep:

Your little one is absolutely adorable and you're right they do grow up to fast. I'm off to a HS graduation for one "where did the time go? " child in the next few :).

Girl do it seriously....My henna treatment came out so good. My hair is soft yet strong and is holdng curl like nobodies business.

What are you planning to mix your henna with?

Thanks...Chanel is a sweetheart... I cant believe she will be 1 next month. Doesnt seeing them grow up make you feel old?

I have been doing twist out and LOVE it washing and DCing 2 a week...havent been to the salon for 2 weeks that means NO heat. I have noticed that with the twits out my hair becomes very badly dry last week I left my twist out for 4 days NEVER again!! My hair was sooo dry and yuckkkk, so the teist outs will have to be done over every 2 days. As I continue to do them I learn more and more ways to detangle and have less hair on the comb!! I will try to add pics tomorrow!!

Girl do it seriously....My henna treatment came out so good. My hair is soft yet strong and is holdng curl like nobodies business.

What are you planning to mix your henna with?

Thanks...Chanel is a sweetheart... I cant believe she will be 1 next month. Doesnt seeing them grow up make you feel old?

Oooh, sounds like what I need.

If I use conditioner in with it, will it soften the color? Any suggestions would be great. This is my first time using it since the 80's.

BTW by most standards, I am old :lachen:.
My Grandbaby's HS graduation was beautiful. I think seeing your baby's picture today took me back there to when she was just that size.

Twists were my protective styling today and most of this week. Change up tomorrow.:yep:

Blessings and thanks for the feedback.

Sorry, it took me so long. My camera has been acting up so I'm forced to use pictures from my last pressing back in March 2010 when I just had a fresh trim.
1. Picture of my hair

2. Length: My longest piece of hair is a bit higher than the nape. It's about 9 inches. My hair is SL.

3. Regimen
My current regimen is to cowash every two days. I like using Organix Coconut Conditioner and Suave Professionals Shea & Almond Butter Conditioner. I'm also liking a new addition, DevaCurl One Conditioner.
I DC at least once a week with ORS. Sometimes I mix cholesterol in it. I also do hot oil treatments every now and then. I also like to use straight up olive oil mixed with jojoba for an oil treatment.
Shampoo: Mane and Tail (original), Ojon thickening shampoo (until I run out), Deva Curl NoPoo (it's new to my regimen)
I hydrate with: Giovanni Leave In (after most washes), my own homemade juice (which includes Moroccan Oil, Jojoba, etc) and CFCG mix or plain.

Right now I'm sporting a twist out that had been under a wig for a few days.
I plan to mix wigs with wearing my hair out. I've been trying to find a less harsh alternative to tight headbands because my edges are a mess. I also plan on wearing a lot of printed scarves to hide my hair and protect people but see it looking a hot mess on some days.
4. Relaxed or Natural: Natural; hair type is in siggy

PRAYING for 2 inches this summer at least ***says the Lord's Prayer***

I'm on bended knee with you (takes Black Hoya Chick's hand and bows head). If I could get two inches I would be sooo unbelievably happy because my hair grows slightly below the "average" and my retention is hit or miss. :perplexed

Joining in prayer with BHC and CT84 - thank you Lord for fast-growing, long, flowing hair with lots of swing and bounce to glorify You, Amen.

Oooh, sounds like what I need.

If I use conditioner in with it, will it soften the color? Any suggestions would be great. This is my first time using it since the 80's.

BTW by most standards, I am old :lachen:.
My Grandbaby's HS graduation was beautiful. I think seeing your baby's picture today took me back there to when she was just that size.

Twists were my protective styling today and most of this week. Change up tomorrow.:yep:

Blessings and thanks for the feedback.
I dont really use henna for the color so I'm not sure if con will soften the color or not but it def keeps your hair from feeling dry and brittle like some complain of. I mix only moisturizing cons with my henna like giovanni smooth as silk, ao hsr or white chamilla, even the cheapie stuff like suave humectant and vo5 cons work really well. I also love to add a blend of oils(avocado coconut and jojoba are my faves). Then I mix with water til its the consistancy of pancake batter. I know if your looking for color release you have to let it sit for a while before applying it to your hair. Since I only use it for the strength and conditioning I put it right on after mixng and leave it on as an overnight pre poo. I then wash it out with shampoo in the am, and follow up with a deep con.

When you finally do henna please show us your results. I love pics.

Washed my hair with my home made caffeine shampoo this morning and I don't think I am using the caffeine as often as I should. Maybe I'll increase it to twice a week using a natural shampoo - no sulfates.

I have even been slacking off on my vitamins:nono:. I need to get back on track.

I totally forgot I was in this challenge! Please don't spank me!!!!!
This whole time I've been wanting to join and I look at the list, I already did!

Nothing has changed about my regimen, except that I'm cowashing twice a day almost all week. I've been swimming more and I don't want any set backs.

My progress is in my siggy.

All of you guys' hair is making wonderful progress! Keep it up!

Last edited:
Well, I self-relaxed my virgin natural hair using Silk Elements Mild.
I'm sitting here with the deep conditioner waiting for the season premiere of True Blood on HBO. I haven't detangled throughly yet but anticipate alot of shed hair since I haven't detangled in more than two weeks.

After the show, I will rinse out my conditioner and detangle. I have three days off Mon-Wed so I don't think I will tackle my hair tonight. I might just put some olive oil in and put it in a bun.

I think I'm happy with the results. Don't know if I got it totally straight, I guess I'll find out when I blow dry and curl it.

Yup, definitely not disappointed.

So I straightened my hair yesterday and I made apl in the front...I never thought my hair could get to this length. The back is longer than the weaves I use to wear. The fronts getting there. I cant wait to see where I'm at by the end of the challange:yep:.

Here are a couple pics.
HPIM0297.jpg

I'm showing a pic of my hair half done in the back because by the time I fin the front the back got all poofy...Its too hot and humid over here to be straightening my hair.
HPIM0282.jpg

Good grief!! It is hot and muggy in Atlanta. I've been hiding under the air conditioning lately and try to peek outside daily but, um...that heat chases me right back inside. That said, do you think i'm keeping myself from a growth spurt? Do I have to feel hot to benefit? Wow. :burn:

Just did my first twistout in years this weekend. Just need to practice and perfect technique.

I still will be doing braids/twists most of the time

2vbsgb8.jpg

usually this or something similar

BronxJazzy, I am planning to do that henna w/cond soon. I'm gonna skip all past the color thing if I can. Thanks for the info and Congrats on obtaining a lovely long healthy head of hur. :cheers:!!!

Wow, Ladies I guess we're really on our way. Definetly want on the prayer list :yep:

Last edited:
Back