Summer 2010 Growth Challenge

Count me in!!!!
I will post my pic the last week of May!
Currently Sl
I will dc every 1 or 2 a weeks, moisturize and seal once or twice a day, protective style (mostly 2 strand twist)... just trying to keep it simple!

Add me please...updating with the required info:

1. My starting pic is in my siggy, but I've also attached it.
2. I am unsure of the exact measurement, but I'm APL.
3. I am adjusting my regimen now because I'm in braids for the summer...just got them on Sunday (see pic below). I plan to alternate shampooing (JASONS) & cowashing (AO HSR). I will spray a moisturizing spritz (homemade mix of water, glycerin, Infusium 23, & jojoba oil) daily and lightly oil the scalp as needed (WGO). I'm on the fence on whether to MN or not. I take a multi-vitamin along with HSN supplement.
4. I am relaxed.

If anyone has a better braid regimen, please share it with a sista :grin:

Attachments

• 100_3132.jpg
    100_3132.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_2776.jpg
    100_2776.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Here's my pic!

Current reggie:

Moisturize and seal daily (using NTM Silky Touch Leave-In and either avocado or coconut oil)
Co-washing 2-3x a week
I'm forgoing shampooing for a while
Deep condition once a week
Air dry only

Since I relaxed for the second time this year a few days ago, I will go through the Summer stretching. My next relaxer will be in September. Currently, I'm bsb.

Attachments

• DSC00775.jpg
    DSC00775.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 12
i just finish working out!!! it's part of me getting healthy and part of my hair growing regimen... i rinsed my cornrows after and applied my conditioner leave-in mix I made and will be moisturizing and sealing and baggying once it dries some.

i just finish working out!!! it's part of me getting healthy and part of my hair growing regimen... i rinsed my cornrows after and applied my conditioner leave-in mix I made and will be moisturizing and sealing and baggying once it dries some.
Oh yea I forgot about working out.... I need to go back and edit my post!

Baggying every night, cowashing every other day, and DC'ing. Still need to find another DC.:ohwell: I will probably develop a good MN mix tonight. Also, I need to start working out in my spare time.:yep:

I just got my Conair Yellow Bird hair dryer and I'll be doing a blowout after 10 months of not touching a blow dryer. I figured blown out hair will help me to do a thorough dusting, search and destroy and length shot right before our challenge starts. I plan to used Longhairdontcare2011's blowdrying method of blowdrying to protect my ends.

I'm a bit excited to see how my fro look with an addition of the 3.5-4 inches i've retained since joining lhcf in november 2009.:yep:

Wish me all the best!

Most of my work is done on computer. I've decided to take advantage of the warm weather to enhance my summer growth potential and work outside from my laptop at least a couple hours a day, a few days a week. I'm not the best in coming out from up under the air conditioning so, I'll crawl before I walk. But, as I type, I'm outside enjoying a beautiful summer-like day. Just had lunch while checking the boards. Now, back to work. Somehow this is not so bad. Ahhhhhh...... Come on with the growth spurt, Mother Nature. Make it do what it do. :lick:

I'm joining my answers are below:

Rules
1. Post a starting picture by the last week of May. If you're getting a sew in or braids please post a pic before then.

2. State number of inches and body measurement mark of your longest layer of hair. So if the hair along your nape is 10" and reaches APL state so.

4 inches on my the back of my progress shirt

3. Mention your Regimen. This includes wash routines, staple products, vitamins and how you plan to wear your hair during the summer. I'm not placing restrictions. If you want to flat iron your hair everyday and change the color every week that's on you. However, don't feel bad if others are two inches longer and you're two inches shorter. :lachen:

Wearing crowrolls mostly under half wigs. Wash n go for special occasions

4. Also, mention if you're relaxed or natural. I don't think hair type is important but you can mention it if you want to.

All Natural Baby!

5. Lastly, if you come to any hair epiphanies over the summer, please do share.

1 and 1/2 inches below the nape of my neck

I take Be whole vitamins every morning/ co wash two-three times a week/ Henna or Cassia gloss once a week/ will start quick weaving again when I get back from Iraq in June until then, twists and twist outs

4a/4b all natural

Still applying my mn/sulfur mix to my scalp a couple of times a week and diligently taking my hair vitamins to hopefully have some serious growth at the end of this summer. Now I need to pick up on the exercising.

I'd like to join

My longest layer is Armpit length measures at 7 on my measuring tshirt. My goal is to get 2 inches or more by sept 1st.

Regimen
wash once a wk with any shampoo
prepoo before every wash with myhoneychild olive you deep con
deep condition with every wash with myhoneychild honey hair mask
apply giovanni direct leave in and seal with karens body beautiful hair cream
wet bun and keep hair in bun til next wash
comb hair only on wash day
I will be protective styling with buns 99% of the time
henna every 4-6 wks
texlaxed type 4a

005-3-1.jpg

Still applying my mn/sulfur mix to my scalp a couple of times a week and diligently taking my hair vitamins to hopefully have some serious growth at the end of this summer. Now I need to pick up on the exercising.

I started exercising (after a long hiatus :look:) this morning and I will continue to do so M-F. I haven't been applying anything to my scalp though, and have been taking vitamins off and on - but not consistently.

My Caucasian coworker came up to me today, showing me how long her nails had gotten since she had been taking Diatomaceous Earth (I recommended it of course :grin:). She said she went rock climbing on Saturday, and her nails were so hard from the DE, that none of them broke like they usually do. I need to get back on that!

i was going to wait and post when i got a better regimen but realized that, during this week and next week, i'll be extra busy so i'll do it now and add stuff on as i go

so i attached the best photos i could find at the moment (excuse the messy dorm room). i'm not very good at taking hair photos for some reason (maybe it's the room lighting)

i don't know the inches to my hair but my hair is a bit below SL though it might be at SL now because i've been cutting off heat-damaged ends that wouldn't revert.

regimen
right now, i'm doing wash n go puffs (it's the only thing that i know how to do. i've been natural for 2 years but my hair was in synthetic braids until about a month ago). i have to buy a better shampoo though so i will try ORS aloe. i've been using organix conditioner but i don't care for it. after i wash, i shake my hair. i spritz it with s-curl and shake again then put it into a puff. sometimes i put a lotion (from motions) in it. sometimes i use eco-styler. i dc with ors mayo and sometimes use hot oil. once instead of using it hot, i put it in my hair, wrapped my hair with a plastic wrap, and let it condition my hair overnight. don't think it made a difference lol idk. and yeah that's about it. i detangle whenever i wash which is whenever i want and yes, i lost lost hair. i realize now that i was doing it wrong too (from the root to the ends is wrong right?). sometimes i randomly put water in my hair. idk my regimen is just random because i'm still getting a hang of this and plus i'm on campus in a predominantly white area so even the convenience stores off-campus don't hold a variety of products. i'm never syked to buy products because i already know what they have by memory.i would go 2 nyc (i'm about 2 hrs. away) but that takes energy&money:ohwell: ill update later if something in my regimen changes

Attachments

• DSC03279.jpg
    DSC03279.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC03343.jpg
    DSC03343.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 11
checkin in: okay so i have been washing weekly, keeping my hair in cornrows under my half wig, baggying 5-7 days a week, apply my mn mix every other day and my mt on the opposite days, i have been exercising monday thru friday and I found anew product that was only a dollar and i waited a month to test it and wanted to let u guys know about, i mean i have been using it in my nape area with no other products just to see how good it is i found it at dollar tree, and it was a dollar okay!!! so here we grow the name of the company is sulfur solutions it has a white applicator bottle red top, yellow blue N black label its called hair serum complex its for permed, relaxed, natural, bleached dry hair and scalp. it's 100% effective or ur money back!(but it's a dollar what do you have to loose!)and you get 4oz and u only need a little. it smooths split ends,helps restore lost oils,gives volume and sheen and is alcohol free, it goes on smooth and and dries tack free. it controls frizzies,conditions, and adds sheen.(reading from the bottle) directions say: shake well, apply small amount at roots gently massage into scalp until product is penetrated style hair as usual.
okay so we want to kno the ingredients right!!! here we go!
first ingredient >aloe vera gel, propylene glycol,polyquaternium 7, centrimonium chloride, glycerine,hydroxyethyl cellulose,guar hydroxypropl diammonium chlorids, oleh-20,fragrance, avocado oil, jojoba oil, edta, methlyparaben, propylparaben, dmdm hydantoin,phosphoric acid,silk amino acids, keratin protein,wheat grem oil, yellow 5,red 4. those are the indegredients in that order it is awesome n only a buck, and it has alot of great ingredients, and no mineral oil or petrolieum. so i hope u guys can find it!!!(especially with 8 booming ingredients!)
oh and im also taking my one a day multivitamin!

Last edited:
Ok it's not that great of a picture but it's a recent one from 5-17-10 (avatar) as far as inches go I'm unsure but I measured at 8 from the nape (if I did it right, gonna have to get a ruler:perplexed)! The front of my hair is SL with the edges growing in slowly. The back reaches between SL and APL oh and the bangs are CL.

My regimen is pretty simple:
Shampoo and Condition once a week with pantene for colored women (works great on my hair:yep:)
wrap my hair to air-dry with lottabody setting lotion (makes hair silky with body)
Either bun or french roll my hair up 5-6 days a week. (gonna be hard for me though:wallbash:)
moisturize my hair/ends daily with my herbal oil, olive oil cream and mn mix (for the scalp) and profectiv.
DC with brahmi oil and olive oil mayo once a week

Um I haven't really caught on to the whole Co-wash thing yet:look: so that has not become part of my regi. Can't really think of anything else at the moment. I am also 2 months 1 wk post relaxer, I'm not sure if and when I'm going to relax again. Guess that's about it for now. Oh and I do workout a few times a week (I try). Gonna try to include scalp massages as well.

Sorry I took so long to explain everything

Also in these pics I have a lot of new growth, I didnt straighten my hair yet, it's just wrapped and air dried

15cdpbs.jpg
1yvcbm.jpg
wjgku9.jpg

I would like to join. I will have to find a picture since I just got my hair braided three days ago on Saturday. I am relaxed BSL but haven't had a perm since late December. I am currently 5.5 months pregnant and plan to be MBL by the end of this challenge as I welcome my baby boy to the world. I will continue with hopes of attaining WL by the end of the year. I will keep my hair braided up and unpermed for the remainder of the challenge. I will moisturize daily with either Hawaiian Silky or water and glycerin. I will also apply MegaTek to my scalp daily for the remainder of the challenge and clarify then deep condition my scalp/hair/braids at least biweekly. I'm trying to keep it simple since I have so much on my plate already with the baby coming, work and working on my Masters. I will hopefully be able to remain faithful to my hair commitments this time. Wish me luck!

** I will only be taking my prenatal vitamins as an oral supplement. I also requested some Premier Cream Rinse from my local feed store. I haven't tried it before, hopefully it will help with the naps.**

If anyone knows of a good place to purchase Mega-Tek online, please let me know.

Last edited:
I started exercising (after a long hiatus :look:) this morning and I will continue to do so M-F. I haven't been applying anything to my scalp though, and have been taking vitamins off and on - but not consistently.

My Caucasian coworker came up to me today, showing me how long her nails had gotten since she had been taking Diatomaceous Earth (I recommended it of course :grin:). She said she went rock climbing on Saturday, and her nails were so hard from the DE, that none of them broke like they usually do. I need to get back on that!

I had stopped taking my DE too and when I saw this post, it reminded me to take it again starting tonight:grin:.

Cowashing and DCing every other day and still baggying every night.:yep: I forgot to make my MN mix.:wallbash::wallbash: I guess I'll do that tonight.

Seriously considering keeping my hair in cornrows for the summer but, being a daily cowasher, I don't know how I'm going to feel about not really having access to my strands. (oh. I guess that's the point. my bad)

I'm trying to resist watching my hair grow. But I'm not known for being able to keep braids in long at all. Hmmm.... :ohwell:

Count me In! i will post starting pic soon as well as my regimen as I am still trying to decide for the best one for transitioning during the summer...any suggestions?

Reggie: wash 2x a week with Cream of Nature Detangling Shampoo, condition with Mane and Tail with either coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil mixed in, either roller set with flexi rods, curl formers, magnetic rollers, bantu knots, braid out, twist out, or bun. No direct heat for me. work out and take vitamins
I am relaxed
lhcf.JPG

Back