Summer '09 Deep condition every other day challenge

lexi84

This challenge will run from 6/21 thru 9/20.

Okay guys here's the deal. I know there's a DELIGHTFULLY DELICIOUS DEEP CONDITIONING CHALLENGE going on right now, (and Aggie is doing an awesome job at leading that challenge!!) but the perameters of that challenge are a bit different from this one. With this one the instructions are plain, clear, and simple. You will be deep conditioning your hair every other day for the rest of the summer. Period.

For the sake of this challenge deep conditioning will mean placing a deep conditioner on your hair for a minimum of 15 minutes while using a plastic cap, warm damp towel, hood dryer, or heating cap.

Why would I want to do a challenge like this? Well ladies, I've done this before and it worked wonders for my dry breaking neck length hair. By the end of the year I was grazing armpit length. Plus right now I'm currently rocking a sew in (the first sew in I've ever had in my life and I love it!!!) that will be taken down in a few weeks. I'm experiencing a lot of growth from it, but I know that my hair has been getting a bit too dry underneath this weave :nono: and needs a few months of some TLC.

This challenge works best while doing the baggy method and Tiffers has that challenge going on right now! I strongly encourage participation in that challenge as your results will be 10 times more noticeable if you're baggying those ends.

Worried about too much manipulation? Here are some tips: Leave your hair in its bun/protective style while you rinse your hair and deep condition. This way you don’t have to detangle, re-brush, re-smooth, and re-style your hair every time you deep condition. Also, there's no need to shampoo with each deep conditioning session!! Just rinse, deep condition, and rinse out! Verrrry Simple! You can even deep condition on dry hair if you want. I love doing this. It gets me the best results.

You are allowed to wear your hair down at will as long as its being deep conditioned every other day. However, for best results, protective styles are strongly recommended.

I want pics, pics and more pics! We want to show off our progress as much as possible!! I have a few pics of my hair that I'll be posting tonight!

C'mon ladies its getting warm out and now's the perfect time to do this! By the end of the summer your hair will be so healthy that you wont even recognize it!!

Who's in?

Miss*Tress
cherepikr
Optimistic
keysha 1983
mz. new~new
**SaSSy**
futurescbride
scampbell
chavascandy
jaded_faerie
chebaby
malachi74
Reecie
HERicane10
ChemistryGirl
Kiki82
Nice Lady
curlyreese
morehairplease
yasunset
ladybeesrch
Gemini350z
Jas123
sunnygirl807
QueenBrittny
taz007
tiffers
Coolata
Ashlee5125
Esi
butterfly_wings
Nkiru
sqzbly1908
cutenss
shelli4018
naturallylisa
Miamori
Highly Favored8
Patricia
senznme
Kacie
swalker31
aquajoyice
music-bnatural-smile
panamoni
NitaChantell
SimpleKomplexity

Last edited:
This will be my first challenge, but I'm in. I co-wash everyday due to my exercise reggie. So this will fit in perfectly.

Okay thanks ladies....I'm starting as soon as I get this sew in out, but I'll be posting pics of my hair tonight and then more pics of my progress after the sew in.

I'm in... I haven't posted a picture of my hair yet. I need to take one!

Also I'm trying to find a style that will keep me from smoothing my edges everyday... looking to do a very low manipulation bu thats baggied at the end.

I'm trying to grow my hairline back.. well fill in some bald spots really. my hair does not tolerate being pulled on :nono:

I am in!! Today I did my first co-wash and wash n go. I put on a beanie cap and I am off to school. I plan washing every other day and DCing. I will only rollerset or flexirod my hair when I plan on going out or on the weekends.

I plan on co-washing with Silk Elements.
Than following up with Lustrasilk as my deep conditioner every other day.
I will add my Aphogee leave in to close out my co-wash day.

Hopefully I will see some nice results by Sept. I will add pics by July 1st. :)

Hi Ladies….I would like to join but I have been trying to cut down on the manipulation. The ponytail/bun DC method sounds like that would help allot but I still would like to know how you moisturize and seal after that? I usually do this in small sections from the nape of my neck then work my way up towards to my hair line but wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of the ponytail/bun method?

im in. im already in the other deep conditioning challenge but i deep condition very often so i'll just join both. i deep condition overnight 2-3 times a week but i will deep condition for 15 minutes every other morning now before i co wash. i co wash daily.
the pic you see of my hair is not of it now. that was when i was relaxed. i will post a pic of my hair now later. i have a twa that is growing quite fast imo.

Okay, I'm slow.... Can someone explain how you dc while in a bun?

count me in. ever since i have been working out on the regular i feel the need to wash my hair more often and i wouldn't dare wash without DCing so I've been upping the frequency anyway. dcing right now.

Last edited:
Count me in!! I love to DC, hopefully this will help me retain the length I need to make APL.

I'm in! I used to be scared of overmoisturizing my fine hair, but now that I've found Joico K-PAK I have my protein under control. Hopefully this challenge will help me reach the ever elusive moisture/protein balance :grin:

I can't wait until this challenge starts! I currently have a concoction of honey, EVOO, and Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat. I have a plastic cap on (no heat). :spinning::spinning::spinning:

I am definitely in Lexi, I learned from you deep conditioning every other day and my hair is flourishing. I am currently doing this anyway. So, I will do this. Can you do a mini tutorial of the deep conditioning in a pony for us on your fotki.com. Thanks, hun.

I'm in! I will be wearing a phony pony bun with a baggy underneath. I will be using ORS replenishing pack mixed with honey and evoo. Does anyone have a good protein based deep conditioner? I'm worried about over moisturizing my hair

i plan on deep conditioning overnight tonight but i dont know which conditioner to use. i think i will use oyin honey hemp conditioner tonight. in the morning i will put some vatika frosting over the conditioner thats already on my hair and then co wash it out with aussie moist.

Hey ladies! I'll be updating the list as soon as i can. And as far as the pics that I promised, ummmm I cant. I just discovered my batteries are completely dead! UGH! :wallbash:

Hi Ladies….I would like to join but I have been trying to cut down on the manipulation. The ponytail/bun DC method sounds like that would help allot but I still would like to know how you moisturize and seal after that? I usually do this in small sections from the nape of my neck then work my way up towards to my hair line but wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of the ponytail/bun method?

Moisturizing and sealing afterward should be easy. If you want to cut down on manipulation you might want to just generously and thoroughly put moisturizer on your hair without manipulating it much. Something else I want to point out is that you'll notice that your hair wont need as much moisturizer if your giving it deep conditioner as often as every other day.

Okay, I'm slow.... Can someone explain how you dc while in a bun?

lol, well hun maybe I should re-phrase my OP. I should have said that you can DC while leaving your hair in its current style but not necessarily bunned up. For example, if your hair is parted in the front and ponytailed and bunned in the back you can take the bun down and just leave the pony tail holder on until you're ready to rinse the DCer out. All the while you're careful to not affect the direction that your hair is brushed/combed in. I hope that makes sense. :lol:

But anyway that was just a tip to address the issue of too much manipulation, its not a requirement of the challenge. If you're more comfortable doing something else then do what works for you! :yep:

I am definitely in Lexi, I learned from you deep conditioning every other day and my hair is flourishing. I am currently doing this anyway. So, I will do this. Can you do a mini tutorial of the deep conditioning in a pony for us on your fotki.com. Thanks, hun.

Hey girl! I'm so glad its working for you. I've been doing this for years and that combined with the baggy method are still the best things I've done for my hair. And I'll get to the tutorial as soon as I take this sew in out and get new batteries for this janky camera.

I'm in! I will be wearing a phony pony bun with a baggy underneath. I will be using ORS replenishing pack mixed with honey and evoo. Does anyone have a good protein based deep conditioner? I'm worried about over moisturizing my hair

Yes! I should have addressed this in my OP. Definitely make sure you're keeping up with the protein treatments b/c DCing (with moisturizing conditioners) every other day is going to require us to step up the protein treatments. And my favorite protein treatment right now is CPR by motions. Another good one is Aphogee 2 minute - for a quick shot of protein or Aphogee 2 step - for a deeeeep protein treatment.

Last edited:
I am so tempted to join this challenge, but I'm stretching & the detangling might be a problem. I think I will practice DCing while keeping my hair "in place" before committing. I can't wait to see the results, though!

This challenge will run from 6/21 thru 9/20.

Okay guys here's the deal. I know there's a DELIGHTFULLY DELICIOUS DEEP CONDITIONING CHALLENGE going on right now, (and Aggie is doing an awesome job at leading that challenge!!) but the perameters of that challenge are a bit different from this one. With this one the instructions are plain, clear, and simple. You will be deep conditioning your hair every other day for the rest of the summer. Period.

For the sake of this challenge deep conditioning will mean placing a deep conditioner on your hair for a minimum of 15 minutes while using a plastic cap, warm damp towel, hood dryer, or heating cap.

Why would I want to do a challenge like this? Well ladies, I've done this before and it worked wonders for my dry breaking neck length hair. By the end of the year I was grazing armpit length. Plus right now I'm currently rocking a sew in (the first sew in I've ever had in my life and I love it!!!) that will be taken down in a few weeks. I'm experiencing a lot of growth from it, but I know that my hair has been getting a bit too dry underneath this weave :nono: and needs a few months of some TLC.

This challenge works best while doing the baggy method and Tiffers has that challenge going on right now! I strongly encourage participation in that challenge as your results will be 10 times more noticeable if you're baggying those ends.

Worried about too much manipulation? Here are some tips: Leave your hair in its bun/protective style while you rinse your hair and deep condition. This way you don’t have to detangle, re-brush, re-smooth, and re-style your hair every time you deep condition. Also, there's no need to shampoo with each deep conditioning session!! Just rinse, deep condition, and rinse out! Verrrry Simple! You can even deep condition on dry hair if you want. I love doing this. It gets me the best results.

You are allowed to wear your hair down at will as long as its being deep conditioned every other day. However, for best results, protective styles are strongly recommended.

I want pics, pics and more pics! We want to show off our progress as much as possible!! I have a few pics of my hair that I'll be posting tonight!

C'mon ladies its getting warm out and now's the perfect time to do this! By the end of the summer your hair will be so healthy that you wont even recognize it!!

Who's in?

Lexi,

the days that we aren't deep conditioning...should we be doing a protein treatment? i usually do a protein treatment twice a week...should I up that?

I'm in! My hair is too dry for its own good.

What type of deep conditioning concoctions are you all using? I used to use the Pantene for Brown women deep conditioning treatment but I'm not sure I was feeling it that much?

And yea, how often should one be doing protein treatments if you are deep conditioning every other day? I've actually never done one before.. I BC'd about a year ago.

Back