Studies Show That Husbands Stress Women Twice As Much As Children

So what is there to look forward to in marriage? It just sounds like the men and children benefit. I don't want to live that life. :confused: I have the habit of being super "insert role here" in everything I do, so I know I would be the one trying to be super mom. Why are men so useless? Uh! I'm wondering if female same sex marriages have the same problem.

I agree what the other posters have said we need to give these men more responsibilities. Our role as women and mothers have changed. We work now and contribute to the household income. We have fought for the same rights as men and have more influence in our society than we did years ago. We also have to take care of the family and household. Meanwhile the men's role hasn't changed. They are still operating as the "breadwinner" just working, coming home and contributing little to nothing to the family structure. Their role needs to expand just as ours has.
toxic masculinity.

You have to be mature and healthy, choose a mature, healthy, kind man, and keep yourself at the center of your life. Always care about yourself and wellbeing above your husband, the kids, and the institution of marriage. Of course there are times when the kids rank higher, especially when they are very little and/or sick etc. But generally you have to maintain your autonomy, your uniqueness, pursue your dreams, take good care of yourself. And I believe a woman must always be prepared to leave if her husband stops holding up his end of the bargain. So many times a man slowly backs away from his promise. Ever so slowly and the woman slowly takes on more and more assuming the change is temporary. And our society encourages women to take it all on and to hold together her family and fix her marriage, etc. It’s all bs. You deserve to be happy and supported, period.

All men aren’t jerks. All marriages don’t suck. But you should be mature, healthy, strong, know what you must have, and what are dealbreakers before marrying. But if you marry the wrong guy or too young, it’s okay, everyone deserves a second chance.

I personally think your wellbeing must be more important than being married — always. Many men know how important being married is to women and they use that against us. People can’t always have this all figured out upfront. You do the best you can. Be open to love — just never be open to losing yourself or being taken advantage of, not even temporarily.

Thank you for posting! Those are great words and pratices to live by. I think I read it like 5 times. I need to remind myself of these things constantly. It's a work in progress but I'm working on making myself a priority, loving myself and honoring myself as a single women so that when I am in a relationship I don't sacrifice myself and my inner truths to keep it afloat. The same goes for other relationships too, with friends, family and work colleagues.

Women and men also deal with conflict differently. Men tend not to fret over things outside of their control while women are more reactive and anxious over uncertainty. Men live in the moment while women are constantly worried about what could happen. I see many women cleaning up their husbands' messes all of the time because of this.

Women and men also deal with conflict differently. Men tend not to fret over things outside of their control while women are more reactive and anxious over uncertainty. Men live in the moment while women are constantly worried about what could happen. I see many women cleaning up their husbands' messes all of the time because of this.

Natalie Lue alludes to this on her website often. Here she explains how her website came to be.

https://www.baggagereclaim.co.uk/about/

I especially like this: “I was tired of seeing crap about 50 ways to please your man when the relationship isn’t going your way, as if people pleasing was a solution to being mistreated.”

Jordan Peterson also discusses this when he talks about being too agreeable and too conscientious, two traits many women have in excess which sets them up to be exploited. He encourages people to start with telling the truth. The first time someone drops the ball you tell the truth about how you feel, you don’t pick up the ball for them and suffer in silence :nono: or pick up the ball and fuss. You tell the truth, you stand your ground, don’t be a doormat for anyone.

He says that you have to be open to being disagreeable so that you can fight and negotiate on your behalf, and be able to tolerate explosive confrontations, because that is often what is needed to get to the bottom of things. You’ll work things out or break up. But at least you won’t be dealing with the same problem till the end of time.

At 3:50 he gets to the heart of the matter.

You can’t sweet talk your way into being treated better by an exploitative person. You have to stand up for yourself.

Last edited:
Natalie Lue alludes to this on her website often. Here she explains how her website came to be.

https://www.baggagereclaim.co.uk/about/

I especially like this: “I was tired of seeing crap about 50 ways to please your man when the relationship isn’t going your way, as if people pleasing was a solution to being mistreated.”

Jordan Peterson also discusses this when he talks about being too agreeable and too conscientious, two traits many women have in excess which sets them up to be exploited. He encourages people to start with telling the truth. The first time someone drops the ball you tell the truth about how you feel, you don’t pick up the ball for them and suffer in silence :nono: or pick up the ball and fuss. You tell the truth, you stand your ground, don’t be a doormat for anyone.

He says that you have to be open to being disagreeable so that you can fight and negotiate on your behalf, and be able to tolerate explosive confrontations, because that is often what is needed to get to the bottom of things. You’ll work things out or break up. But at least you won’t be dealing with the same problem till the end of time.

At 3:50 he get to the heart of the matter.

You can’t sweet talk your way into being treated better by an exploitative person. You have to stand up for yourself.

That was the bomb.

My dad was probably more involved as a father than most of that generation (he cooked, coordinating activities for me and my brother etc.) After the divorce 10 years ago, my mom is still adamant that she will never get remarried. She doesn't even want to live with her boyfriend lol. She said she's done having to cross-reference decisions with another person and having to manage their feelings in the process (my dad is a Cancer :look:)

There is a reason so many older women don’t want to remarry.
Marriage is for men...

if as a woman you entre into marriage, you gotta be careful you are getting your necessaries met...

Deborah Cooper discusses this here. Men know marriage benefits them most but they have twisted it so that women think it’s for them, benefits them, to the point of seeking it above everything else. Mind games, brain washing, patriarchy, witchcraft.

And IMO marriage has lots of benefits, especially when children are involved, but only if it’s to the right person and only if you go in keeping yourself and your goals front and center, and only if it benefits you all around. Unfortunately there is often a level of bait and switch involved. Women have to be smart, less emotional, wise, more protective of themselves.

Last edited:
My dad was probably more involved as a father than most of that generation (he cooked, coordinating activities for me and my brother etc.) After the divorce 10 years ago, my mom is still adamant that she will never get remarried. She doesn't even want to live with her boyfriend lol. She said she's done having to cross-reference decisions with another person and having to manage their feelings in the process (my dad is a Cancer :look:)
This right here. I don’t wanna run anything by anybody and have to be considerate of somebody else’s feelings. I don’t wanna share closet space, or my bed.

Marriage only benefits the woman in health/happiness when it's a good marriage for her. Otherwise, women are better off remaining single. Men enjoy the benefits regardless. This is well documented. Women calm men down. It's why men have tried to control women's sexuality since the beginning of time. It's why men having mistresses is socially acceptable. The thing is they've tricked us and worked the system so that women need marriage for survival. Not anymore.

My mom loves my dad but after over 35 years, she's through. She doesn't want a divorce because my dad is WW-bait with a considerable retirement even after she takes half and my mom doesn't want to force a sale of the house which would be likely if they split. My mom's gotten herself in shape, watches her diet, exercises and is determined to travel and live it up once my youngest sister finishes college. :look: She was superwoman all during my childhood and feels my dad took it for granted. Her mistake was not speaking up before he got comfortable and she admits this. But she has no interest in finding another man ever. Even if she met another man she could tolerate she doesn't want a relationship.

I believe in marriage, especially when raising children. Having my parents together gave my sisters and I a lot of security. But we're at a point where the purpose of marriage and the status of women has changed. Marriage isn't solely or even mostly a business arrangement anymore, nor do women enter marriage in a lower economic position, generally speaking. But men have 'gotten away with murder' as GL Lambert says, and keep doing it because they keep getting what they want. Hence why I'm clear with myself about what I want out of a SO/ potential DH. I'm not going through what my mom is going through now. If he can't get with it, he's out.

Last edited:
That's why I'm...
giphy.gif

This is why I have a list of what is and isn't acceptable; I'll be by myself before I settle for someone just to say I have someone. I see so many women overwhelmed and miserable by mess, because they didn't choose the right man.

This is well documented. Marriage only benefits the woman in health/happiness when it's a good marriage for her. Otherwise, women are better off remaining single. Men enjoy the benefits regardless. This is well documented. Women calm men down. It's why men have tried to control women's sexuality since the beginning of time. It's why men having mistresses is socially acceptable. The thing is they've tricked us and worked the system so that women need marriage for survival. Not anymore.

My mom loves my dad but after over 35 years, she's through. She doesn't want a divorce because my dad is WW-bait with a considerable retirement even after she takes half and my mom doesn't want to force a sale of the house which would be likely if they split. My mom's gotten herself in shape, watches her diet, exercises and is determined to travel and live it up once my youngest sister finishes college. :look: She was superwoman all during my childhood and feels my dad took it for granted. Her mistake was not speaking up before he got comfortable and she admits this. But she has no interest in finding another man ever. Even if she met another man she could tolerate she doesn't want a relationship.

I believe in marriage, especially when raising children. Having my parents together gave my sisters and I a lot of security. But we're at a point where the purpose of marriage and the status of women has changed. Marriage isn't solely or even mostly a business arrangement anymore, nor do women enter marriage in a lower economic position, generally speaking. But men have 'gotten away with murder' as GL Lambert says, and keep doing it because they keep getting what they want. Hence why I'm clear with myself about what I want out of a SO/ potential DH. I'm not going through what my mom is going through now. If he can't get with it, he's out.

this is a word.

tbh although my parents have a good marriage in a relative way. one of the things that has made it most equitable is that my dad has become my mums primary cargiver in the wake of her illness.

and my mum is lucky in that regard, I have seen several older men literally check out when their wives become terminally ill...

and my mum is lucky in that regard, I have seen several older men literally check out when their wives become terminally ill...
Studies show that’s likely to happen, more than the woman checking out if the man gets sick.

My mom’s already informed my dad if he gets sick, he’s going to a home and the rest of us will continue living. As I said she’s through and she’s not about to let any of her children get caught in a caregiver role either.

Studies show that’s likely to happen, more than the woman checking out if the man gets sick.

My mom’s already informed my dad if he gets sick, he’s going to a home and the rest of us will continue living. As I said she’s through and she’s not about to let any of her children get caught in a caregiver role either.

Wow, your mom is not playing. She must really be done. I wouldn’t mind caretaking for someone who had made my life easier for years. With help too of course. But that’s the thing with remarrying late in life to more than likely a man even older than you, the odds increase to be thrown into a caretaking role for someone who hasn’t even enriched your life for any length of time and you will be at the age where you just don’t have years to dedicate to taking care of someone else.

Wow, your mom is not playing. She must really be done. I wouldn’t mind caretaking for someone who had made my life easier for years. With help too of course. But that’s the thing with remarrying late in life to more than likely a man even older than you, the odds increase to be thrown into a caretaking role for someone who hasn’t even enriched your life for any length of time and you will be at the age where you just don’t have years to dedicate to taking care of someone else.

This is a family member of mine. Spent more than half her life in an unhappy marriage, he suffered major health issues so she stuck around to take care of him. Fast forward a few years, she re-married, husband is a couple years older and he has health issues. Major health issues. This is in addition to her own health issues. Life happens, but we have to be careful about the choices we make.

I am side eyeing one of my kids friends mom. She’s in her early 40s and just married a man whose almost 70. I can understand why. He’s well off, she was newly divorced with a toddler diagnosed with autism, adUghter in college And 2 other school aged kids. She was also a stay at home mom with no job skills. He snapped her up and saved her months after her divorce.

They live in a nice house, travel,etc but I’m just wondering whats going to happen when he starts to decline.

You have to be mature and healthy, choose a mature, healthy, kind man, and keep yourself at the center of your life. Always care about yourself and wellbeing above your husband, the kids, and the institution of marriage. Of course there are times when the kids rank higher, especially when they are very little and/or sick etc. But generally you have to maintain your autonomy, your uniqueness, pursue your dreams, take good care of yourself. And I believe a woman must always be prepared to leave if her husband stops holding up his end of the bargain. So many times a man slowly backs away from his promise. Ever so slowly and the woman slowly takes on more and more assuming the change is temporary. And our society encourages women to take it all on and to hold together her family and fix her marriage, etc. It’s all bs. You deserve to be happy and supported, period.

All men aren’t jerks. All marriages don’t suck. But you should be mature, healthy, strong, know what you must have, and what are dealbreakers before marrying. But if you marry the wrong guy or too young, it’s okay, everyone deserves a second chance.

I personally think your wellbeing must be more important than being married — always. Many men know how important being married is to women and they use that against us. People can’t always have this all figured out upfront. You do the best you can. Be open to love — just never be open to losing yourself or being taken advantage of, not even temporarily.
OMG I was reflecting on this just today, and this thread in general....like what makes a marriage worth it? Not in a negative way, but in a productive way so that I can learn from and possibly avoid some of the "pitfalls", turn around my health, live a carefree life, because I have attracted the right mate for marriage. I actually left my ex fiancé because I felt that I couldn't trust him to cover me. I knew I'd have a stressful life if I married him, and would not have a carefree life that I deserve to have. It didn't matter how sweet he was. That was my issue, other women have other issues with their relationship but regardless, these types of important issues (not the b.s small stuff but the minimal priorities a man needs to provide) all can lead to our downfall in some way or another if a man lacks certain necessities(I am using downfall to talk about stress, our health, our looks, etc. Heck I actually became ill after a few years of worrying and a lot of my worries came from that issue coupled with being over worked. I'm not blaming him but I am saying I ate well, and had low stress and then he came along and bam! :look: . It could be coincidence but I do think the stress levels were something that I don't think should happen had I been covered correctly).

I have a relative who actually was in the mirror smiling (and then laughing) while combing her hair, on the day of her hubby's funeral. I won't say who they are in case someone I know is reading the thread. Sure maybe she just reflected on something funny, but when I told some other trusted family members in confidence (that I knew would keep their trap shut) because I was just amazed at what happened...their ideas of why stood out to me. Their ideas were along the lines of: she was happy she could finally rest. Sure she loved him but she was also relieved because she wouldn't have to put up with his crap anymore :look: and him stressing her out all the time.

With that said, too many women are just stressed out from marriage and I think even more so in our culture because we are expected to be the "mules". We have to start refusing this expectation and set out the cards from the beginning in our favor. And of course it is easier said than done but I think that we can learn from what others have mentioned are the problems, and make sure to try to avoid those pitfalls. I think that starts with some things @hopeful suggested and imo, I think maybe something else is important to add like our own version of a marriage contract. If others thought that for every chip a man throws down, a woman throws 20 (see article in next post) hundreds upon hundreds of years ago, then that means that some have understood for centuries that marriages are imbalanced (regardless of their reasons why which we may or may not agree with depending on our own preferences and beliefs) .

I think there is a huge thing to consider in marriage that I don't see brought up as often as it should which is that you are going to be relying on someone else. This concept seems huge to me and should be a major decision in who you marry. When you get married imo you are putting your life (and possibilities) in someone else's hands (not just in obvious ways, but even in small ones). Say you are on a ship and that is your marriage, and you need a break so he steers the ship, he could potentially turn into an iceburg. This iceburg doesn't have to be infidelities (or beatings, or anything ridiculously obviously horrible like gaslighting, etc). It could be other things such as just making bad decision after bad decision. These things will affect both of you. I hear a ton of women saying that you have to give over and trust him. This could be why women are shaving years off of their lives. Because they do not trust, or worse cannot for good reason trust and have to micromanage, or are just in shambles because they are handing over the boat to him at times, or they are taking over all the time and are exhausted. Because let's face it, it doesn't matter if the guy will help with the boat, if he's taking you both into ice burgs all the time. You will say, "No I got it", or to keep the peace you will let him have it and now you have to clean up the mess because the ship is sinking. And either way, now you're aging faster and your health is flailing and he's bouncing along because he's not worried about it (as he can compartmentalize everything).

So with that said, it seems to me that this is where the biggest mistakes come: Choosing a selfish guy, or cruel guy (obvious), choosing a guy who allows you to take on too much (obvious), choosing a weak guy who won't do anything or is useless (obvious), but even just as bad is choosing a guy who just makes poor decisions on everyday and major decisions, leaving you ot have to clean up the mess. So, to everything you add, I feel that for me, I have to add in the extra clause: I have to add to that and say, he has to be trustworthy and you have to think of it in this manner: he has to be trustworthy with your life. If you don't trust him with your life, you can't marry him. Can he surprise you? Yes. Should you still do due diligence and protect yourself in many ways? Yes. But know that you cannot be in control of everything at all times. There are times when this person can take you under if they make horrible choices. This doesn't mean to just let the chips fall, this means to be extra diligent in sifting when choosing a mate because though we can't account for everything, we can put odds in our favor. So I'm just adding to your "choose a healthy, mature, kind man" and add to that "a man that makes excellent decisions, whom you trust with your life, is considerate, loving, and adds to your life. And then you have to do due diligence to protect yourself and take care of your needs no matter what. I would even add a man who is financially established. Women are always talking about what they have to have, when in reality we aren't even in society. Women make less than men on the dollar, and black women even less because of extra prejudice for skin color thrown in. Add to that, after having children, our ability to make money drops even more. Society isn't fair? Why are we trying to be? So us trying to show that we are financially viable (as if that makes us worthy of marriage), is not the biz. I do think we should make money, if we feel, to feel secure of course. There is nothing wrong with that. But I think that the least requirement (because there are many other necessary requirements in addition to that but that is one of those minimum requirements that should be there) a man should have is to be financially together, or he shouldn't have a family. If male birds are dancing around and building houses to prove to their mate that they are the one, darn straight, a grown man should court and show that he is able to provide for his family in a significant way. AND I think it should be set up that she should be taken care of regardless if the marriage dissipates because of all we bring to a marriage.

For those who are not a part of Jewish religions, I think it still helps us to think in terms of being our own matchmakers when choosing a guy. Choose for love, yes, but sift at first with requirements in mind so that you don't end up falling in love with a jerk. Bear with me but I've been fascinated with marriage contracts (or rather their meaning) because it seems to me that Jewish people are the only culture that considers that the woman loses in marriage, and that they needed to make a contract in order to make things as "fair " as possible, so that the husband would be bound to promise "minimums/requirements" in marriage. They believe that a marriage, without such a contract, puts a woman at an unfair disadvantage. These contracts are one sided, in the women's favor, in order to balance things. I think, from what I've read on it, that it's a pretty cool idea and ahead of its time. It says it's a charter of a woman's "rights in marriage" and of a man's "duties". I think we as women should think of what we need in order to remain as balanced as possible. I don't think all women fall into a martyr category, I think that we do not see what we lose in a marriage, and think of what is necessary to protect ourselves so that we stay winning because few cultures think about this and encourage women to stand up for what they need. Also, even with the whole feminism crowd, there is another threat where women are made to feel guilty for staying at home, and also for relying on a man's money when in essence, we should never feel as if it isn't our collective money because of what we add to a relationship (whether we work or not). At any rate here is some quick stuff that I've read (and heard) about marriage contracts (from sites and also upon reflection from Jewish friends and Jewish family members) :

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/465168/jewish/The-Marriage-Contract-Ketubah.htm
The ketubah restates the fundamental conditions that are imposed by the Torah upon the husband...

It is not a mutual agreement; the wife agrees only to accept the husband's proposal of marriage. It is assuredly not a bill of sale; the man does not purchase the bride. In fact, the ketubah represents the witnesses rather than husband or wife. Through this instrument they attest to the groom's actions, promises, and statements, and to the bride's willing acceptance of the marriage proposal.

It is a charter of woman's rights in marriage and of man's duties. The ketubah is designed for woman's protection, and every legal nuance in this matter ...In a male-oriented society, the woman always needed more defense against the violation of personal rights than the man...

Because of this concern for the integrity of "the daughters of Israel," the Sages said that to live with a wife without a ketubah, or without specification of fair conditions, is regarded as concubinage—the difference between a wife and a concubine is that a wife has a ketubah, and a concubine does not. They considered that an unstructured marriage arrangement was fit only for a man and his concubine, that it placed the woman at an unfair disadvantage, and that it was beneath a Jewish woman to be so considered. When the Jews of France were robbed of all their possessions and expelled by Philip the Fair in 1306, they moved en masse to Provence. Rashba ordered that no married life be resumed there until every man give his wife a replacement ketubah. This ketubah de'irkhesa is required, even today, for everyone who has misplaced or lost the original ketubah.

In this manner, a strictly legal document with detailed monetary conditions was converted by the Rabbis into an ethical statement that would safeguard the wife and mother and serve as an anchor in turbulent marital seas.

Last edited:
Also one last thing on the marriage contract Ketubah:
https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/536920/jewish/Why-Is-Jewish-Marriage-So-One-Sided.htm
Why Is Jewish Marriage So One-Sided?
By Tzvi Freeman
SWoy1547946.jpg

Question:
My fiancée and I were looking at ketubot (marriage contracts) for our upcoming wedding. I don’t read Aramaic, but I understand that the traditional Jewish ketubah is all about the husband’s obligations to his wife, but there’s nothing in there about the wife’s obligations. Why is Jewish marriage so one-sided?

Answer:
First of all, mazel tov on your engagement! May the wedding create an eternal bond and bring only blessings, peace and harmony to the world.

Concerning the ketubah: Let me explain what a ketubah is all about and why it was created—and then you’ll understand the reason for its one-sidedness. Along the way, I just can’t help providing a few tips that might help in your upcoming marriage.

As any anthropologist can tell you—and any sensible marriage counselor, and your grandmother too—men and women do not go into marriage on an equal footing. You don’t need a degree in biology to tell you why a man’s commitment to marriage doesn’t weigh up to a woman’s. Just think of the ad of the discomfited young man tenderly holding his hands over his that-doesn’t-look-like-a-beer-belly swollen lower abdomen—with the caption, “If it were you, you would be more careful.”

A woman has to be more careful. Where a man puts down one chip, she’s putting down twenty. He has everything to gain; she has everything to lose. So, naturally, a woman enters marriage seeking security and stability so she can build a home and a family—not to be left out in the cold with that swollen belly. A man enters a marriage like a conqueror taking territory. Once married, it doesn’t take long before he is already looking for new territory to conquer—at work, out in the world, and perhaps other places as well . . .

So, what ties the man down to provide that security to a woman? How about love, passion, and all the madness our Creator built into us to join man and woman? Isn’t love all we need?

Five hundred years ago, the master Kabbalist Rabbi Moshe Cordovero wrote1 words about human passion that still sound light-years ahead of us. A man’s passion for a woman, he wrote, is not truly part of his manliness. It is the piece of woman left behind in man when they were divided apart in the Garden of Eden. That is why, if he will use that passion to gratify himself, it will turn against him and destroy him. That is when we call it the yetzer hara—the evil impulse.

But, he continues, nothing G‑d created is evil except through man’s devices. Even the yetzer hara, when directed towards its true purpose, will elevate a person and his world. And what is the true purpose of these passions? To drive a man to beautify the Shechinah (Divine Presence) and make for it a home in this world. In other words, if because of this passion he will build his wife a home, provide her affection and buy her fine jewelry—and if he does all this with the intent that she represents the Shechinah, for she is the mother of life—then he sublimates his passions to become G‑dlike.

“Therefore,” he wrote, “all pleasures a man receives in this world should be only for the sake of his wife.”

That’s how things are supposed to be: Love drives man and woman together. Marriage provides the security the woman needs. And the love continues driving each one to provide what the other needs.

But all this is when passions are harnessed and directed. When a woman surrenders to the man’s passions unconditionally, she gains nothing in return for everything. She’s not doing him any favor, either—he’s burning a lot of rubber on the highway of life, but going nowhere.

Yes, we are told over and over that man and woman are two halves of a whole that is complete only when they are joined together in the mystic, holy union of marriage. But that’s not a Duncan Hines recipe. It’s something that happens when they both work hard to get past their own little selves and discover the “other” in this relationship. Left to their base instincts, the sages teach, a man and a woman are two opposing fires that will burn one another to charcoal.

Think of the line in Genesis that describes the first woman as “a partner against him.” Literally, that means she’s an equal partner. But the awkward phrasing prompted our sages to provide a deeper reading: “If he merits, she is a partner. If not, she is against him to make war.” There you have it: For marriage to be about making love, not war, human beings need to rise above nature. As for the natural, instinctual state of humanity in the world—there love, war, and a whole other slew of pathologies all swim together in a single, very smelly swamp.

How is it that something as beautiful as love can destroy? The chassidic master Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi explained2 that this is because the love of a man to a woman and the love of a woman to a man are two opposites. A man’s love, he said, flows like water, while the love of a woman burns like fire.

His son, Rabbi Dov Ber, explained:3 A man’s passions build up like water behind a dam, desperate to break through, and finally bursting into a great flood. But once the flood is over, the passion dissipates—until the reservoir behind the dam can fill again.

The passions of a woman follow an opposite pattern. They are like a fire that must be lit with kindling wood, tended and fanned until hot enough to catch the logs, and only then does it burn on its own. Once that fire has broken out of its bounds, it burns and burns, and can never be satisfied—until there is nothing left to burn.

Two opposites, totally out of sync with one another. The only solution, says Rabbi Schneur Zalman, is to for the two to find a deeper bond, something beyond both of them. Each one leaves his or her own tiny self, and feels what it is like to be the other. Then a woman understands why this man who so passionately needed her yesterday seems now to be in another world where she barely exists. The balloon has burst and needs time to refill.

And a man understands that a woman’s passions cannot be flicked on like an electric light bulb, but are more like a campfire that needs careful attention to begin, even more care once its flames soar upward, and even more caution not to abandon the glowing coals.

While you’re looking for that deeper bond, let’s get back to the ketubah. The ketubah is one step the sages took to deal with this imbalance and introduce some parity into the relationship.

Like we said, the woman wants security—for good reasons. Here’s another I didn’t mention yet: A study by the National Fatherhood Initiative found a strong and direct negative correlation between a close relationship with Dad and adolescent violence. Another study found that closeness with Dad is a major factor in reducing the adolescent’s risk of drug abuse—while mother closeness could not be found to have any correlating impact. Not surprisingly, closeness to Dad was highest in “intact families.”

So, even if you’re self-sufficient, if you want healthy and well-adjusted kids, you’re best off with a dedicated father around.

Although a lot of men get a kick out of being provider, protector and dad, they’re not necessarily programmed to lock into that role for life. At some point, the male conquistador urge might just say, “Time to get out of this hamster wheel and get on with life.”

In kicks the ketubah, a wedding contract that basically says, “Here are your obligations to your wife while you’re married, and here’s the penalty you’ll have to pay if you want to get out of it.” What are those obligations? That you will provide food, clothing, affection and a home, and fulfill all the expectations of a husband that are standard in whatever society you happen to live. What’s the penalty for divorce? That which most men will miss most: lots of money.

Look, it’s far from fail-safe. It still requires lots of work, compromise and sacrifice from each member of this partnership. So, call it one piece of the puzzle. For our purposes here, however, the point is . . .

That’s why the ketubah is unbalanced: because it’s there to protect women, not men.

In brief, the sages saw that women get the short end of the stick, and stepped in to do something about it. To my knowledge, things haven’t changed.

You might want to read some of our material about marriage. Our wedding mini-site is a good starting point.

@luckiestdestiny
I will have to come back to finish reading all of this. But yes yes yes :yep:. This is all so very interesting. Along the lines of trusting someone for me is feeling safe with a person. That is now a huge priority for me. I got that concept from an article I read where this guy asked women who had been cheated on when they had started feeling unsafe. And he said almost every single woman said that they had never truly felt safe with the guy. So they had felt unsafe almost from the start. And as you mentioned, unsafe is not just infidelity, physical and/or mental abuse, but also poor decision making, addictions, weak mindedness, etc.

Women don’t realize just how much a bad marriage can ruin their lives, how much a man can slow you down, undermine you, age you, wreak havoc in your life, even make you feel depressed, etc.

Ok I will be back after reading the rest of your posts.

I am side eyeing one of my kids friends mom. She’s in her early 40s and just married a man whose almost 70. I can understand why. He’s well off, she was newly divorced with a toddler diagnosed with autism, adUghter in college And 2 other school aged kids. She was also a stay at home mom with no job skills. He snapped her up and saved her months after her divorce.

They live in a nice house, travel,etc but I’m just wondering whats going to happen when he starts to decline.

I hope she knows what she is there for. She is in her 40s though so she should know about real life by now.

Back