Straighten hair the natural way!

Azul and Sweetcocoa,

My hair was dried before applying. Then I shamppooed and conditioned. Then braided. When I took out the braids, no waves
crazy.gif
These are one of things that makes you go, Hummmm?
scratchchin.gif

OKAY LADIES, I did the milk thing last night!!!!
smile.gif
Currently I am into week 10 w/ my relaxer. I like to normally go 6 months before I relax. Lately, since I have been taking the B5 vitamin, my hair is coming in really thick. So, yesterday I decided that I would try the milk thing to see if it would loosen my curls... It definitely works!!!!!!
smile.gif

This is what I did.....
I put some of my whole milk into a spray bottle. I parted my hair just like if I was going to receive a relaxer(4 section). Then I started w/ the area where my hair was the thickest(which is in the back). I spray my roots first in each section and then I sprayed my entire head. (You have to have a towel wrapped around your neck and shoulders to keep the milk from running down your back). I allowed the milk to stay on for 1 hour. Your hair will get slightly hard. Then I got in the shower and rinse my hair for a while w/ the water. Then I shampooed w/ my QP moisturizing shampoo(LOVE IT!!!) Performed a ACV rinse. Then used my Moisturfuse for about 5 min. THen I sprayed my hair w/ the QP Moisture conditioner and plaited my hair in two plaits. I put a roller on each end of my plaits. Then I went to Karate and sweated alot and let my hair air dry over night. Got up this morning and did step aerobics.

When I took my plaits down after all of that, my waves were still loose!!!
shocked.gif
Normally my hair shrinks after working out, but not this time... This process is a keeper for me....
smile.gif
My hair is so nice and bouncy.....

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
When I took my plaits down after all of that, my waves were still loose!!! Normally my hair shrinks after working out, but not this time... This process is a keeper for me.... My hair is so nice and bouncy.....

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you had waves! I had none
shocked.gif
But the milk recipe is definately a keeper for me too
grin.gif

did you put a shower cap over your head with this? i think i asked in another thread would this be considered like a protein conditioner since someone said milk has protein and protein has an affect on the hair somehow.
confused.gif
God bless you all.

Azul milk has protein in it. This is one of the reasons it's recommended to take for strong teeth and bones.

so would this be considered a protein conditioner? some people say after they have it on their hair for a while their hair feels hard but once they shampoo and condition it is soft. i am wondering if this is the same type of thing as aphogee since it has protein and gets hard but once it is rinsed it out it makes the hair feel soft and stops the breakage. wasnt there a post in the henna thread about the lack of proteins in certain types of hair and that was an explanation for why when people adding conditioners with protein and stuff made the hair straighter? so would the milk be considered a protein conditioner?
(am i getting the info from the henna thread on protein incorrect?) God bless you all.

I will definately try this process as long as it is temporary!

-EBONY

[/ QUOTE ]

Ebony and Lions Mane, it is only supposed to last until your next wash. For a longer result, I would use the hennalucent henna in neutral. It loosens the curl pattern of the hair beautifully
smile.gif
You can get hennalucent at most bss(beauty supply stores).

Does anyone know how the milk or coconut / lime mixture will effect hair that is permanatly color treated?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi AFS. The coconutmilk moisturizes the hair extremely well. It wont affect your hair color. Now the lime juice, I'm not so sure about. I know that lemon/lime has lightening capabilities, so that could either be a plus or minus, depending on how you look at it. I never tried this mix, but maybe the milk dilutes the limes ability to lighten? Ou can do a strand test to know for sure
smile.gif

I've mixed up a batch of coconut milk and lime juice(1 cup of milk and 3 limes) I mixed it together with a hand mixer(I couldn't find my blender) and put it in the fridge. I'm gonna use it when I get back from DC tomorrow and post my results.

I have my mixture in my hair right now! I'll post later how it turns out. even though I am going back into braids, I wanted to give it a try. Since when I come out of the braids, I can't relax right away, I'll need something to hold me over.

Well, I say thumbs up! Now its by no means "relaxer" straight, but after the concoction, I did the SAME exact thing as I did earilier in the week and I got MUCH better results.

SeaMist said:
On the Phyto website they claim that egg and soy protein can relax hair naturally. This is a natural hair relaxer they are marketing. Here is the link: Egg and Soy Natural Relaxer The price is over $43.00

[/ QUOTE ]

Seamist, I heard this relaxer is really bad for hair while investigating former posts and considering using it. Anybody tried this relaxer with success?

Hi Nissi,

It seems that alot of these "natural relaxers" use ammonium thioglycolate to straighten the hair. It is purported to be not as damaging as the lye and no-lye brands, but users of these products have reported an intense dryness to their hair while using these brands.

laugh.gif
ok check this out ya'll -- are you using whole milk (as opposed to skim, 1%, 2%), and what do you think would happen using heavy cream?
grin.gif

:D ok check this out ya'll -- are you using whole milk (as opposed to skim, 1%, 2%), and what do you think would happen using heavy cream?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!
rofl.gif
A little dairy humor!! That was funny!!
grin.gif

laugh.gif
ok check this out ya'll -- are you using whole milk (as opposed to skim, 1%, 2%), and what do you think would happen using heavy cream?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
Yesterday I went to the store to get some plain yogurt to apply to my hair because I heard this was also a fab treatment, but they only had non-fat!!! I was upset because I was looking for low-fat or any type of fat as an addition to my yogurt! Can you believe this? Upset because they only had non-fat yogurt
spinning.gif
laugh.gif

SeaMist said:
laugh.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
Yesterday I went to the store to get some plain yogurt to apply to my hair because I heard this was also a fab treatment, but they only had non-fat!!! I was upset because I was looking for low-fat or any type of fat as an addition to my yogurt! Can you believe this? Upset because they only had non-fat yogurt
spinning.gif
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
Mmhm, my mind is following the same stream right now -- cuz i was also thinking about sour cream, now the sour effect i wonder about on hair, but isn't the sour the result of an enzyme? Should be good (kitchen chemists, please confirm!
wink.gif
) Sorry ya'll when you mentioned this stuff drips
frown.gif
i am trying to find a non-drip alternative!
grin.gif

Nissi where will it lead from here? Cream cheese? Ricotta anybody?
laugh.gif
All I know is that these natural products are slammin' for the hair! Sour cream does contain enzymes. The name escapes me right now
scratchchin.gif

Psst
sekret.gif
I was also looking at those creamy salad dressings while I was in the supermarket. Heck, if Hellman's mayo can work wonders on the hair, I figure why can't these? I know, I know...this "Straighten hair the natural way" thread is turning into a trip!
laugh.gif

It works, It works. I poured a few cups of regular milk in a bowl and dipped my entire head in it. I then let it dry for about an hour. When I washed with conditioner, My hair was definately straighter. I let my hair air dry in a pony tail. It gave me the results I get when my hair is relaxed (with natural relaxer). To hell with the natural relaxer, I'm going to do these on a regular basis instead. I love you ladies!!!!!
smile.gif
Sometime this month when I get some time on my hands, I will post before and after photos. Do yall think it will be ok to do this every week? Like Sea Mist and Mahailialee, my entire hair care routine is about to be totally "from the kitchen" Check out these recipies.....

http://motowngrl.8m.net/recipes.htm#Conditioners

YAYYYYYYYYYY Diamoness! Cheering like the cheering that goes on at the Apollo Theater: WU WU WU! You said relaxer straight?! What is your your type? I love this, I love this, I love this!!! BTW, thanks for that link
grin.gif

Sorry, I didn't see your question in all the excitement over your results! I believe it can be done weekly. It is only supposed to last until the next shampoo anyway. So the weekly treatments seem quite safe to me
smile.gif

Oh no Seamist, The natural relaxer I use only losens the curl like henna does. I have type 4a/b hair, so my naturalrelaxer takes me to somewhere in the 3's. Milk gave me the same effect...(in the 3's). Sorry about the confusion.

No problem Diamoness
smile.gif
I just think that the re-discovery of all these natural products is great
smile.gif

Diamoness,

What natural relaxer to you use? I use one made from pot ash. I've also been using Henna and I'm just about to try this coconut milk/lime juice "straightener".

Hairyette, I use Couzette. My stylist formulated it and I have no idea what is in it, but it looks and smells like store bought relaxer. Pot ash, huh? That sound interesting. Would you mind sharing your recipe and describe how it works? I'm sure the other ladies would like to know also. Thanks.

I use a product called Just Beautiful Hair. Here's the link www.justbeautifulhair.com

This product is made from pot ash and sodium (minus the hydroxide leg). I must admit, I noticed much more curl relaxation from henna. Plus, I'm about to rinse this milk/lime juice out of my hair, but I can tell already that it's a WINNER. My hair is a whole lot easier to comb. Between the henna and this milk mixture....I may not order the JBH "softener" again...fyi

I noticed much more curl relaxation from henna. Plus, I'm about to rinse this milk/lime juice out of my hair, but I can tell already that it's a WINNER. My hair is a whole lot easier to comb. Between the henna and this milk mixture....I may not order the JBH "softener" again...fyi

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! My spirits are uplifted with all these great reviews! You grow girls...the natural way!!!

Back