Straighten hair the natural way!

Interesting...but are you ladies scared to apply LIME JUICE (=drying!!) to your hair?

I think I'll try the regular milk recipe posted (and maybe I'll add some protein powder to it).
grin.gif
grin.gif

I post my results in this thread after I try it.

Well Blackmane,this process requires that you wash you hair after you apply the concotion. You can shampoo and condtion as normal after you rinse this thing out. SO I would defenitely follow up with a moisturzing shampoo/conditoner.

NOTE: After more research, I have NIXED the papain. Although you find it listed as one of the ingredients in many conditioners and shampoos, it is also said to be a hair growth retardant. Even if this is not proven to be so, I will not try this. Instead, I will use proven things like lemon, lime, kiwi, etc, milk protein, yogurt etc. I am totally moving away from commercial shampoos and conditioners and making all my own hair products. It seems to be working so far. Bonjour.

Mahalialee I'm glad you posted that info about the papain.
I tried the milk straightening process and it works!
I left grocery store milk on two sections of my hair for one full hour. I did this just in case it didn't work, this way I would only be left with two small sections to dry. It hardened on my hair. After the full hour was up, I rinsed, shampooed and conditioned those two sections. My hair came out straighter and was so soft!
clap.gif

Yall know with milk, then the hellmans mayo as a deep conditioner, I am too through! I'm going to try the yogurt, coconut and lemon/lime recipe as well
smile.gif
My hair is very thick and I'm loving to learn how to take care of it the natural way
grin.gif
It looks like a flower blooming!
rosebud.gif

Hey SeaMist! Glad it worked out. I can see you now, it will be peaches and CREAM,
lick.gif
STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM!
lick.gif
LOLOLO,ice cream!,
shocked.gif
seriously, I am going to try a peaches and cream, like a conditioner wash this summer and rinse it out. I am going to use half and half cream. I will probably have to watch out for the flies. Are you going to do the milk thing between hennas? I did my first Lotus powder thing today, and right now it is in a wrap, so I cannot give a full report. One thing for sure, it is THICKER!!! LIKE AS IN DOUBLE!!! I noticed that doing the combout to wrap it. But I am really determined to stick the natural thing out and I notice that every commercial product is on the "natural" bandwagon too. They know what they are up against...hmpph!!!happy hair growing
laugh.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I did my first Lotus powder thing today, and right now it is in a wrap, so I cannot give a full report. One thing for sure, it is THICKER!!! LIKE AS IN DOUBLE!!! I noticed that doing the combout to wrap it. But I am really determined to stick the natural thing out and I notice that every commercial product is on the "natural" bandwagon too. They know what they are up against...hmpph!!!happy hair growing
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm definately going to implement the milk recipe into my regimen
grin.gif
I can only imagine what a milk and honey application will do for my hair! That peaches and cream mix sounds sooooooooo good
lick.gif
I'm telling you these natural products have got me hooked. I'm totally addicted! And you are so right, these companies know what time it is
wink.gif
They realize they are dealing with a much more educated consumer market, but I still say 100% natural products are way better than any commercial product, and I'll take the natural over the commercial anyday! Hands down
notworthy.gif

what is this lotus powder thing? You guys have me extremely interested in this whole natural straigthening process. I used to have thick jair when i was younger but nw that I relax my hair i have lost a lot of thickmess so I want to stop but the hairstyles I want to wear do not fit natural 4a/b hair. I also want to color my hair too. so can you guys give me somemore info on the lotus powder and milk recipes?

Hi luvhair,

The lotus powder loosens the curl pattern of the hair overtime with each use. It works like henna. For more information, view sweetcocoa's henna thread. The milk recipe and explanation is found on this thread. I believe I posted it already. It straightens and softens hair extremely well
smile.gif
All of these products are natural, and I must say I am totally pleased with the results I've been getting. They don't get your hair bone-straight like a relaxer not unless your hairtexture is already in the 1 or 2 category, but they do loosen the curl pattern making styling and detangling much more manageable.

SeaMist said:
Mahalialee I'm glad you posted that info about the papain.
I tried the milk straightening process and it works!
I left grocery store milk on two sections of my hair for one full hour. I did this just in case it didn't work, this way I would only be left with two small sections to dry. It hardened on my hair. After the full hour was up, I rinsed, shampooed and conditioned those two sections. My hair came out straighter and was so soft!
clap.gif

Yall know with milk, then the hellmans mayo as a deep conditioner, I am too through! I'm going to try the yogurt, coconut and lemon/lime recipe as well
smile.gif
My hair is very thick and I'm loving to learn how to take care of it the natural way
grin.gif
It looks like a flower blooming!
rosebud.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on doing the coconut and lime juice myself tomorrow evening. I'll save the henna for next Friday. Has anyone else noticed thicker hair since doing the henna?

I plan on doing the coconut and lime juice myself tomorrow evening. I'll save the henna for next Friday. Has anyone else noticed thicker hair since doing the henna?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweetcocoa my hair is coming in so nice. I don't know what was on my mind when I said I was going to go back to relaxing
crazy.gif
My hair has so much spring to it. and it's funny how the henna treatment not only loosened the curl pattern, but it thickens the hair as well. It gives the hair "spring" as I said. It's not as bulky as it was. It is a proportional thickness that I can deal with
smile.gif

I think it is a matter of adjusting to the new texture of natural hair and the new styling requirements that accompany it
smile.gif
BlkMane encouraged me so much in staying my journey with natural hair. Thanks BlkMane. I appreciate it girl! I had went out and bought all the relaxer items, but I will not be using the relaxer at all
grin.gif
I'm too sold on these natural products!

When you all try the lime juice/coconut milk thing, please let us know the measurements of ingredients that would be helpful.

Hey Seamist,

Thankyou for posting your results. Are you complety natural, and if so what is your hair type? You can copy and paste these questions then anser them if that is easier. And don't leave out any details girl,lol.

Would you say it altered it to another hair type?

How straight did it get (eg. bone straight, relaxed/pressed straight, or just lossened your curl somewhat/alot?

DId you put in the lime juice in it?

How were you able to keep the milk from dripping since it is not thick? Did you mix it with anything else?

Once you rinsed it out and shamppoed and conditoned, did you comb through it and apply your usual normal moisturizers and oil? If so, did it still stay straight?

Please let me know hom long the results lasted. It says it is suppose be straight until the next time you wash. Do you think it can combat humidity?

Oh I can't wait to take out my braids and try this
grin.gif

I am so glad it worked out for you.Please update me.

Thanks for posting your results!

SeaMist are you ready for this one? Another natural straightener? This one is made with HORSERADISH, FERULA SAGE etc.
shocked.gif
This is going to be a knock off of some of the hair balms. Next post will give some sites. Let's see what we can do with this! I provide the sites as a reference so that there is a precedent success with the ingredients. Bonjour.

Now see what ya'll made me do? I went out at lunch and bought some coconut milk and some lime juice. I'll be trying tomorrow night so please someone LMK measurements! And BTW when my bill collectors start callin cuz I am spending all my money on hair stuff...I'll email them the URL to this place
grin.gif

dumb question:

if milk has protein in it can it be used as a protein conditioner?
confused.gif
God bless you all.

Hi Janice
wave.gif

I didn't mix the milk with anything. I just poured some in a bowl, stood over my bathroom sink and applied it to two small sections. I clipped my hair back to keep it from dripping in my face. My hair is very thick, so the milk just soaked right in. Now as far as the straightness is concerned, it made the hair texture I have now straight. Naturally I'm a 3c/4a and the milk really stressed out the curl pattern to the fullest. Girl let me tell you. I don't know what to make of this... I usually do braid outs or twist outs, so I braided those two sections adding castor and olive oil, but when I took the braids out, MY HAIR WAS STILL STRAIGHT
shocked.gif

Janice when I say I don't know what to make of it, I just don't know! In my post explaining how straight my hair became, I was very jubilent because it really stretched out the length. But when I braided those sections and took them out, how could they have remained straight?! There were no waves at all! As if I didn't braid those sections at all. Now someoneelse may have different results. Again, I don't know. As far as humidity is concerned it's anybody's guess how this milk recipe will hold up in hot, humid, or rainy weather. But if wet hair braided, taken out when dried, and the hair is still retaining it's straightness, maybe this indicates that milk is the best anti-frizzing agent that there is
crazy.gif
Go ahead yall and say this is impossible, but SeaMist is telling the truth when she says her hair didn't wave whatsoever. This time, I'm going to try the milk recipe on my whole head and report my results. I want to make sure, that I know, that I know, that milk can naturally straighten hair like nothing else can.

My new version of a deep conditioning natural hair softener, to be used in between lotus and henna!
shea butter-3 tbls.-3 tbls. horseradish powder, 3 tbls sage; 3 tbls ferula powder in 1/2 cup natural mayonnaise and 3 tbl. lime juice. (Soak the powders in the mayonnaise and lime juice then add the shea butter and stir well.) Keep in fridge. This can be adjusted to suit depending on your hair type and whether it is dry, natural or relaxed. Scented with Lime essential oil and Ylang or Rose Oil and. This will be great because it will provide a lot of moisturizing effect to the hair and keep it moist and soft. I will follow this up with a hair wrap.If anyone else wants to try this let me know how it works out. I have been making up batches of hair wash and hair conditioner packs to soften relax, strengthen and lengthen hair. I can only test so much. Any volunteers?
laugh.gif
Bonjour.

Mahalialee you are going to have all of us go bankrupt here
whyme.gif
Where do you keep finding all these great links and recipes? I guess the "tell SeaMist, she'll try anything" applies to me with this new find of yours also. But as I've been saying, I'm really digging natural haircare
grin.gif

Carrie I know what you mean when it comes to this forum. It is just bad for our pocketbooks! Please post your results with the coconut milk and lime recipe. I'll be waiting for it
smile.gif

Wow Seamist, I am so tempted right now to just take off some of my extensions and see how this works out for me. I am so glad that it worked out really well for you.

I know you said that it straighened out your hair to the max, but did it change your hair texture would you say and did it come out like a presses/relaxed straight, bone straight. I guess like if you ran a hotcomb through it or something?

Or did it just straighten your hair without a change in the texture of it.

Girl You know what I am going to probalby just take off a couple of extensions and try this. (I will have my sis rebraid em' I guess (so ghetto of me, lol)
weird.gif

So what is the exact measurements you used to get you hair straight? I was serious considering getting a relazxer tomorrow because my new growth is driving me crazy but I wanna see how this works. Can you post the exact measurements you used for the milk. And can you post the lotus powder recipe too!!! I am soo excited!

My Lotus powder results will be posted on the Henna (SweetCoco's thread) since the Lotus regime was originally posted there by Henna Joy. Bonjour.

Luvhair: If you are looking for "color" information go to the Paging the Hennaphyliacs thread. If you are looking to do black hair with Indigo and henna same site. Hope this helps. Bonjour.

Re: Straighten hair the natural way!..email from..

LADIES BELOW IS THE E-MAIL I RECEIVED FROM BODYMINDRETRIEVAL.COM'S WEBMASTER -- VERY INFORMATIVE!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
(SITE OF THE COCONUT MILK/LIME JUICE RECIPE):

In a message dated 04/04/2003 12:39:06 AM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

Subj: RE: natural hair straightener on website
Date: 04/04/2003 12:39:06 AM Eastern Standard Time
To: [email protected]
Sent from the Internet
Hello Bodymindrevivalist

Thank you for your question. The tips and recipes on Bodymindrevival.com are collected or compiled from various sources, both western and eastern (some recipes may work better on asians, some may work better for non).
Fill up a medium-sized glass coconut milk. As for how much lime to use, we recommend one lime
squeezed, but if it is not effective the first week for you (again, depends on the individual), try two or three. If you have long hair, medium-sized glass coconut milk may not be sufficient, increase the amount, and do the same for the limes.
As we have indicated in 'About BMR', successes of treatments may vary. Because the ingredients recommended are 100% natural, they have less health risk and are very safe to try. We suggest that you try the recipe first for perhaps
the first month and look out for gradual changes. The thing about using totally natural products is that it may be a slow process, depending on what
you are treating. For example, acne treatment using honey and cinnamon is a very
effective (and fast) remedy and we have feedback telling this is so. Straightening hair using coconut milk and lime may not be as fast a remedy for you, or may not work at all, but on the other hand, it may work very well. Tell us how it goes.

We recommend all Bodymindrevivalists to enlist in The Bodymindrevival Group at Yahoo (http://http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bodymindrevival/) so that they can exchange recipes and other health tips, and of course, not to mention,
network and make friends with other Bodymindrevivalists around the world.

We're always looking for new tips and recipes for sharing. Recommendations will be credited, and linked to recommender's e-mail, if requested. In that way, Bodymindrevivalists can network with
each other through the site as well.

Please visit www.bodymindrevival.com again and click on our sponsors, we need all the funds we can get to get the site going.

"BodyMindRevival is designed and created by the Webmaster for the sole purpose of sharing valuable knowledge and providing beneficial service for visitors. If even one remedy has changed a life for the better, then putting the site into
existence has been worth the time and effort."

Thanks!

Re: Straighten hair the natural way!(TRIED IT)

I didn't tell y'all but yesterday I just HAPPENED to have a can of coconut milk &amp; a squeeze bottle of lime juice in my refrigerator and I tried this -- Ladies I think its working -- but the jury's still out. Here's what I did:

In a glass -- 1 cup of coconut milk from can, and 1/4 cup lime juice (from the squeeze bottle). I let it sit all day in the frig while I was at work.

Last night, I applied it to the NAPPIEST PART of my hair (I have 2 textures of hair on my head which includes one big nappy patch in the middle of the back of my head).

I semi-wet a towel &amp; heated it up in microwave. It didn't stay hot for very long so I put a reflective cap on my head &amp; sat under a warm dryer for 1 hr &amp; fell asleep w/this stuff on my head (it was midnight)

The curls on this NAPPY PATCH ARE LOOSER &amp; more consistent with the rest of my hair (which was henna'd last week with excellent results)!!

I WILL try this in a day or two -- the website said to try it 3 times a week. I'll do this for a couple of weeks &amp; incorporate the henna as well.

If I find a "matured" coconut I'd try the exact recipe with fresh lemon juice but for now this is all I have...

BEWARE -- this mixture DOES BURN YOUR EYES WHEN IT RUNS!!
During the application process so have a towel nearby to wipe your face.

I'll post again next week on this.

Cyn

Re: Straighten hair the natural way!..email from..

Thanks for the update!
I plan on trying the coconut/lime recipe tonight.

Janice and Luvhair,

Oops, I put this same info on the Hennaphilic Thread. I was looking at Mahalialees post where she said she was putting her info on the henna thread and just followed suit. Oh well. People who only look at the henna thread will get this information too.

For those two sections of my hair, I poured some milk in a bowl and just dipped my fingers in it and keep wetting my hair with the milk until it was completely saturated. Now, I want to really emphasize, the milk straightened out the texture of hair I already have. If you have 3c/4a hair, it will not make it 1a,1b, or 2a,2b, 2c. It straightens out what you already have. I think henna is the only product that can take any hair texture and turn it into something else by not only making it softer, but transforming it into the next hair level. For example, if you have 4b hair, I really believe the henna can take it to 4a. And with continued use, you may be able to achieve a 3c. However, I say "may", because the one supplement I know for 100% sure that can change hairtexture is MSM! I take Doctor's Best in powder form and I know that I know this supplement can change hairtexture. I don't offer anyone a pipe-dream because to do so is deception and very wrong in my opinion. But I would go to court and stand before the judge and vouch for this supplement. SeaMist knows what she's talking about on this one
smile.gif

This Saturday I plan on doing my whole head with the milk. I want to be sure that what happened with those two sections of my hair was not an anamoly in any kind of way. After the "treatment", I'll be sure to post results.

i'm assuming the hair is dry and the milk is used before a shampoo and conditioner? or is it after a shampoo and followed by a conditioner? or is it the condtioner? God bless you all.

azul11 said:
i'm assuming the hair is dry and the milk is used before a shampoo and conditioner? or is it after a shampoo and followed by a conditioner? or is it the condtioner? God bless you all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same question(I didn't think about that...thanks Azul...)

Back