Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

@HappyAtLast i don't mean with a relaxer. I mean straight haired natural or curly natural. I won't get a relaxer unless I get a pixie. I can get relaxer results with my flat iron!

My hair when curly gets nothing but SSK's and matting. With constant heat I just have to stay on top of my trims and my ends are healthy but I have heat damage. I'm fine with the heat damage while it's straight. But then I want to wear it curly and curse myself cause it's so nice curly but my left side is damaged.

But you are right. We have all been here and had this feeling. I just need to make a choice & soon because it's time for a trim.
Oh, I know you weren't talking about a relaxer. LOL I'm not either! I'm just venting - asking myself why am I a straight haired natural, basically. Excuse my mind fluff! (a relaxer is something I never, ever see myself doing again because of the chemicals, not because I'm against straight hair.)

Oh, I know you weren't talking about a relaxer. LOL I'm not either! I'm just venting - asking myself why am I a straight haired natural, basically. Excuse my mind fluff! (a relaxer is something I never, ever see myself doing again because of the chemicals, not because I'm against straight hair.)
Oooo lol. I'm just confused right now. Ugh it's only hair. Why am I making this so difficult?!

since you guys use heat often, how long did it take you all to hit neck length as a natural? i feel like i should be closer to neck length than i am since i've had one trim but instead i'm feeling at ear length still. i think ti's because my roots are never 100% straight.

i'm still aiming to be CBL by next April. is this doable?

I'm in a strange place hair wise. I want to wear my hair curly but straight hair is sooooo easy. What say you ladies?
I'm there right now because I am thinking I am going to stop straightening. I like wearing my hair curly but I like wearing my hair straight too. My roller sets come out much better now. I want to attribute it to my looser curl pattern but could be my technique is better? Who knows? I, like you am making a big deal about it now. Lol

I'm thinking I'm going to stop straightening for now. I'm probably going to go for a year. *Fingers crossed* Going to do one good trim at the end of the year and will reevaluate this time next year.

Can I still hang out with you guys in here though..pretty please?

I'm there right now because I am thinking I am going to stop straightening. I like wearing my hair curly but I like wearing my hair straight too. My roller sets come out much better now. I want to attribute it to my looser curl pattern but could be my technique is better? Who knows? I, like you am making a big deal about it now. Lol

I'm thinking I'm going to stop straightening for now. I'm probably going to go for a year. *Fingers crossed* Going to do one good trim at the end of the year and will reevaluate this time next year.

Can I still hang out with you guys in here though..pretty please?
I never left and I only straightened once this summer. This place is warm and cozy because of the heat tools lol

Hey everyone! I've been a straightened natural for over 15 years. I decided to not straighten my hair this summer and I'm loving the look of twistouts. I'm off for the summer from work, so I don't necessarily "do" my hair everyday. I could not do this all throughout the year....the manipulation it takes to look presentable! I can't do wash and go's because my hair is straighter in the front, and curly in the back. I have two very different textures, and I'm sure my hair is as straight as it is in the front because of straightening.

I believe my hair loves heat, and I miss just wrapping my hair at night, and throwing it up in a ponytail or bun the next day. It is SO much easier. However, I will miss my twistouts and the fact that I could cowash every couple of days.

@naija24 I didnt start straightening regularly (or more often) until apl. For my hair I just felt I needed to take the time to really learn what my hair needed - and it thrived! I don't think my hair would be where it is if I started straightening earlier.
since you guys use heat often, how long did it take you all to hit neck length as a natural? i feel like i should be closer to neck length than i am since i've had one trim but instead i'm feeling at ear length still. i think ti's because my roots are never 100% straight.

i'm still aiming to be CBL by next April. is this doable?

OAN I'm hibernating my hair under wigs starting yesterday until Nov. My wig reggie is wash, DC, tension blowdry on medium with Redken blowdry lotion and macadamia oil. Oil scalp with sulfur/MN oil.

Then I lightly mist each section (5) with my moisture spritz, seal with grease and plait up. I take down once weekly to remove sheds, M&S and oil my scalp. Re-wash every 3 weeks.

I'm aiming for full BSL by December.

@HappyAtLast that sounds like such a good regimen. But I can't take wigs. My head gets itchy. I've never been a big protective styler because I want to wear my hair out. I'm wondering if I should start. I just feel like I'm at a cross roads with my hair. I don't know what to do.

@HappyAtLast that sounds like such a good regimen. But I can't take wigs. My head gets itchy. I've never been a big protective styler because I want to wear my hair out. I'm wondering if I should start. I just feel like I'm at a cross roads with my hair. I don't know what to do.
I know what you mean about the crossroads. I've been using wigs as my main protective style since I started this journey. And after experimenting for a while I find myself back at a crossroad and that's when I retreat under my wigs!

So I flat ironed my hair today using a different product. Usually I use chi thermal guard (smoothing cream) and Aveda's thermal protectant spray. I went to target about a week ago and came across this product. I was interested in using it after seeing that people were using Aveda's more expensive version.
P0275_packshot.png

I used it today along with the Aveda heat protectant and I like it. It says to use a dime sized amount over 2 inch sections, but I tend to always over do it with new products. I used about a nickel to sometimes even a quarter sized amount on each section. I tend to use a lot of product because my hair is thick, but after flat ironing I can tell I used too much. It says it won't weigh down hair or leave it greasy, but mine is definitely weighed down which is most likely because I used too much.

But I love how smooth and moisturized my hair feels. I always have the issue of my hair feeling dry when I flat iron and I have to use serum or oil right after I am done, but not this time. My hair will most likely absorb most of the product and the weighed down look will subside in a day or two.

Overall I do like this product, it made flat ironing easier, my hair is so much smoother than has been with previous flat irons and it feels very mositurized. Next time, I will not use so much product to prevent the weighed down feeling. My hair has even held a curl! My hair usually does not hold a curl when it is flat ironed, I would curl it and the curls would completely fall within minutes.

I attached two pictures, one is mini length check.
2015-08-28 14.26.48.jpg 2015-08-28 14.26.18.jpg

Beautiful @Nelli04! I started to buy this the other day, but instead I got Garnier Sleek and Shine leave in cream. I've been using it for years and I'm always afraid to try new products. Thanks for the review. I may get some when I run out of my current flat iron cream.

Thanks for this review @Nelli04. Do you blow dry first and then apply this right before flat ironing?
Your hair is fab! Give some deets, girly! What temp and how often do you flat iron? Thanks!
So I flat ironed my hair today using a different product. Usually I use chi thermal guard (smoothing cream) and Aveda's thermal protectant spray. I went to target about a week ago and came across this product. I was interested in using it after seeing that people were using Aveda's more expensive version.
P0275_packshot.png

I used it today along with the Aveda heat protectant and I like it. It says to use a dime sized amount over 2 inch sections, but I tend to always over do it with new products. I used about a nickel to sometimes even a quarter sized amount on each section. I tend to use a lot of product because my hair is thick, but after flat ironing I can tell I used too much. It says it won't weigh down hair or leave it greasy, but mine is definitely weighed down which is most likely because I used too much.

But I love how smooth and moisturized my hair feels. I always have the issue of my hair feeling dry when I flat iron and I have to use serum or oil right after I am done, but not this time. My hair will most likely absorb most of the product and the weighed down look will subside in a day or two.

Overall I do like this product, it made flat ironing easier, my hair is so much smoother than has been with previous flat irons and it feels very mositurized. Next time, I will not use so much product to prevent the weighed down feeling. My hair has even held a curl! My hair usually does not hold a curl when it is flat ironed, I would curl it and the curls would completely fall within minutes.

I attached two pictures, one is mini length check.
View attachment 335807 View attachment 335809

Question: After you all flat iron, how are you styling your hair and how often do you have to restyle it?
I'm finding flexi rods work great and give me a nice curl. I have to put the rods back in every other day.

I have yet to get a good braidout on flat ironed hair because I don't know what to use that will give me hold and definition without reverting my hair. Anybody accomplished that yet?

Question: After you all flat iron, how are you styling your hair and how often do you have to restyle it?
I'm finding flexi rods work great and give me a nice curl. I have to put the rods back in every other day.

I have yet to get a good braidout on flat ironed hair because I don't know what to use that will give me hold and definition without reverting my hair. Anybody accomplished that yet?

After I flat iron, I do huge, soft curls and I maintain it by twisting my hair in a giant Bantu knot secured with a spin pin. I end up with loose waves the next morning. Do more knots for a tighter curl. I don't use any product to set it, and it literally takes 5 seconds at night, I love it.

I'd like to try braid outs on blown out hair, but I don't want to use a product that will cause my curls to revert completely, so let me know what you find! I'm assuming a butter that doesn't have water as the first ingredient is the way to go.

I curl my hair as I flat iron. First two-three days I'll do two Bantu knots for bed. After that I'll either do one knot or wrap it for the sleek look. I prefer the loose curls tho even though it doesn't show my length.

I need to revisit this thread. No that the weather is cool I'm thinking about wearing my hair straight every other weekend. I just don't know if it's worth because I work out 4x a week

I need to revisit this thread. No that the weather is cool I'm thinking about wearing my hair straight every other weekend. I just don't know if it's worth because I work out 4x a week
I'm actually looking into some hair maintenance tips too for working out with flat ironed hair. One tip I did see is to put the hair in a high ponytail or bun and put a cotton bandanna on while working out. Then don't take the hair down or remove the bandanna until the hair is completely dry after working out. I'm going to try that. Let us know any other tips you find.

I'm actually looking into some hair maintenance tips too for working out with flat ironed hair. One tip I did see is to put the hair in a high ponytail or bun and put a cotton bandanna on while working out. Then don't take the hair down or remove the bandanna until the hair is completely dry after working out. I'm going to try that. Let us know any other tips you find.

I have a few moisture-wick headbands, they are better at absorbing the moisture than regular cotton. After I'm finished with my workout, I'd use a silk scarf while my hair is still in a tight, high pony until it dries. The roots aren't perfectly silky and straight, but I can still wear it out and not look crazy

So I've been bunning on lightly blown out hair and I think I'm retaining y'all! I just pulled down a piece of my edges and it's sl! I've been using NJoy's growth serum with daily scalp massages though and taking my vitamins faithfully. My scalp started to get a little sore so I haven't massaged this week but I'm happy.

Sigh...just another rainy day in "sunny" Florida. I need to change my mindset from "straight hair natural" to "frizz hair natural." This humidity just won't let me be great. My friend said, "Oh, just wait till winter." I said, "You do know it's humid 10.5 months out of the year here, right? What am I supposed to do with my hair for 10.5 months besides look like puff the magic dragon!" Oh, well. Life as a natural...

I am in the market for a really nice blow dryer. My hair can take blow drying or flat ironing, but not both. I've been using the flat iron for the last several months, but since it frizzes out anyway, I'm heading back to the blow dryer. Do you ladies have a blow dryer that you would recommend?

Sigh...just another rainy day in "sunny" Florida. I need to change my mindset from "straight hair natural" to "frizz hair natural." This humidity just won't let me be great. My friend said, "Oh, just wait till winter." I said, "You do know it's humid 10.5 months out of the year here, right? What am I supposed to do with my hair for 10.5 months besides look like puff the magic dragon!" Oh, well. Life as a natural...

I am in the market for a really nice blow dryer. My hair can take blow drying or flat ironing, but not both. I've been using the flat iron for the last several months, but since it frizzes out anyway, I'm heading back to the blow dryer. Do you ladies have a blow dryer that you would recommend?
I'm feeling the same now. I've barely used my flat iron lately. My blow drying has only been improving and I can get my hair super straight now without having to flat iron. I've tried several different methods but a denman and a concentrated nozzle has worked really well for me. I'm going to try a paddle brush next but I can't find one that I like and is easy to grip and dry at the same time. To answer your last question my dryer isn't anything particularly special. I have one from Revlon I think that has a high/low speed and high/medium/low setting for heat. Nothing fancy.

I got my hair straightened today and I am in LOVE. I did a blue black rinse a week ago and it looks fantastic. Hopefully my hair lasts a few weeks

Every time I think about getting my hair professionally straightened I chicken out. The bald spot at the top of my head has just grown back in so I'm scared to let anyone ruin progress. And then what if I hate it? I paid someone for something that I don't like? The woman I would go to is someone I've gone to before. She used to do my relaxers and she was actually very good but I'm still scared.

My rollerset lasted the week. I'm wondering if I should just detangle and bun or if I should wash, dc, blow dry and bun. I'm being lazy so I might just detangle and bun.

Back