Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

I did my hair last night. I used 6 sections and worked from the back to the front. I used comb chase on certain parts, but overall it was easy to straighten. My biggest obstacle is detangling and removing shed hairs. It'll get easier with practice I suppose.

Just wanted to post some update pics of my hair from this week :drunk:. This is a 5 day old roller set + flatiron .

20150723_172328.jpg
20150723_172340.jpg

20150723_173008.jpg

I was just reading reviews on this on Amazon yesterday because I'm considering it too. They don't burn; the teeth protect it from touching your skin. In fact, I owned one (not this brand, but from Sally's) about 2 years ago and it worked great. But I gave it away to an elderly friend of mine who always had hotcomb burns on her neck. But now that I'm flat ironing regularly, I want another one. I wasn't really impressed with the reviews I read on this one. And Sally's doesn't carry the one I had anymore. I was considering the Laila Ali 0.5 inch flat iron if I can't find a good edge stick.

Giving it away was really kind-hearted of you. I'm sure you helped that woman a great deal and made her feel good about getting her hair looking nice.

I had no idea (late, I know) that Laila Ali has a line. I'm here for her, and her daddy!

Stress really snuck up on my hair. It's suffering. The past few months a lot has been going on. And tonight's wash I noticed I lost more hair than usual. While I'm parting to moisturize I notice it's thinning in the middle at the top. And some parts it's down to an inch of hair. I guess I have to lay off the straightening while I get my hair back to normal. I'm still going to blow dry biweekly though. I'm so upset.

I'm so sorry, maybe you can try a shedding conditioner like alter ego garlic. I manage a lot of stressful in my day-to-day, and have to be careful not to let it impact my appearance. I hope you find something that helps. How long is your hair now, maybe you can stretch it with flat twists or plaits prior to straightening?

So my hair only made it 8 days this time :angry2:. My hair wasn't straight enough and the humidity was too real!

I redid my hair yesterday, and got it the straightest ever so far :clap:. My routine was a little all over the place because my initial plan was to attempt a wash n'go. That failed, so I went on to straightening. This is what I did.

1. HOT with coconut and olive oil w/ essential oils
2. Pour diluted ACV with EO over hair and let sit for 30 mins
3. Rinse, and apply Joico Treatment Balm
4. Rinse and apply Chi Keratin Silk infusion in 2 sections
5. Put hair into 2 banded ponytails and sit under bonnet dryer for 1 hour (for the first 30 mins I didn't realize it was set on cool)
6. Flatiron on 450 with 2 passes

I took my hair down this morning, and it was so straight, it looked like a fresh relaxer:giggle:. Last time I did my rollerset and flatiron it took about 1.5 hours to set, 1.5 hours to dry, and another hour + to flatiron. This time it only took 10 mins to set my hair in ponytails, 1 hour to dry, and 1.5 hours to flatrion:bdance:. There was no additional heat, no manipulation to get my hair on rollers, and it took half the time!! I'm so happy it worked out!!

My stand up dryer is on thes way!!! Happy dance!!!:toocool::bdance::clap: I'm so excited!! Did a roller set last night and air dried so ended up having to sleep on the rollers...again. I know this is a problem. Those rollers pulling on my hair all night is a nightmare. For those roller setting and setting under a dryer how long do you usually sit under. Mine says it dries hair fast. I got this one in black: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61J6wSIzlhL._SL1500_.jpg

I've been flip flopping for months trying to give my kinky-curly hair all the chances in the world, but I'm 100% done with the over manipulation from detangling and SSKs and looking like a 3rd grader!:oops:

My last flat iron session was so awesome and the maintenance was a breeze. I honestly don't have the time to maintain it in it's kinky-curly state. I've resigned that this is the best thing for my hair and my time.

At the last session, I maintained with macadamia nut oil and PM Foaming Pommade. My hair felt awesome! I'm flat ironing today.

I followed a youtuber today and am impressed at my results will post a pic later.

I washed with my usual Wen and conditioned with Silicon Mix...t shirt dried then applied Jane Carter Nourish & Shine, generic PM Super Skinny Serum and Wen 613 Mousse and then blow dried. I then sprayed OGX Brazilian Keratin Therapy Flat Iron Spray all over and began to flat iron. It was simple and pretty quick.

Haven't been straightening much. I've been wearing wash and gos. I've been using aloe vera gel and with my looser curl pattern it's wonderful. I'm getting lazy. I really want to straighten again soon though. I just saw my old stylist and said I would come to her to straighten my hair in the next month or 2. She's never straightened my hair before and I feel like I might change my mind.

Do you straight haired naturals have problems trying to go back to curly? Isn't it hard to try to be both straight a lot of the time AND curly some of the time? Don't you have to kinda pick a team?

Do you straight haired naturals have problems trying to go back to curly? Isn't it hard to try to be both straight a lot of the time AND curly some of the time? Don't you have to kinda pick a team?
Why do we have to pick a team? Lol Best of both worlds over here. It's all about what kind of style I want to wear. And I must say my wash and go's are hanging a bit better since I've started straightening.

OAN: it might be time for me to trim but I really don't want to.

Why do we have to pick a team? Lol Best of both worlds over here. It's all about what kind of style I want to wear. And I must say my wash and go's are hanging a bit better since I've started straightening.

OAN: it might be time for me to trim but I really don't want to.
Thanks for the response. I know that when I've been wearing wash and gos a lot and then try to blow dry/braid out, my hair resists at first. It takes a while for my hair to adjust to the new style. But thanks as I was not sure. :)

It depends a lot on how much your hair loosens from using heat. If you have very light loosening, then enjoy the best of both worlds!! My hair has loosened a lot, so now twistouts and braid n'curls come out super smooth and pretty, but don't last past the day :angry2: . So, I was forced onto team Straight Natural, but I kinda like it here :giggle:

It depends a lot on how much your hair loosens from using heat. If you have very light loosening, then enjoy the best of both worlds!! My hair has loosened a lot, so now twistouts and braid n'curls come out super smooth and pretty, but don't last past the day :angry2: . So, I was forced onto team Straight Natural, but I kinda like it here :giggle:
Try something with a stronger hold when you do your twistouts. That should get you a couple more days. I get at least 3-4 days before I start looking a HAM. Lol

Any body use this or something similar? I have short hair and currently use my flat iron to straighten it can be time consuming because of how short it is in areas and it is hard to get my edges:
ebonyline51_2254_438187345.jpg
I have something similar that goes to 450 degrees, I forget the brand. I think you have to be careful around your edges. I ended up with short stubby edges, and I'm pretty sure its because I used this too hot. just the "baby hair" area of my temples; it's grown back now over the last few months. These days I will just use that to help flatten the roots and mash down my edges with pomade or gel or something.

Frankly the fuzzy edge situation is what makes my transition unbearable. It's been two years. I am happy with my natural hair, but for the edges. I do not like having to always have some type of gel to slick them down because then my hair is pulled back 90% of the time. And when I flat iron the edges revert so, so fast. the only thing that helped was RELAXER and I don't want to do that anymore b/c my hair is so much nicer natural.

My ends are permanently straight and I have a good 1-1.5 inches of THICK, coily naps. So I'm kind of forced now to be straight 100% of the time, but that's fine.

I pick team straight or braids under a wig. I rarely wear natural styles. Every now and then I do a braidout bun.

Try something with a stronger hold when you do your twistouts. That should get you a couple more days. I get at least 3-4 days before I start looking a HAM. Lol
See that's how I know my hair ain't about that life anymore!! I used to just twist with leave-in or conditioner. I did this past braidout with lots of EcoStyler gel, and it lasted a day :lachen:. But, I think putting my hair in a pineapple is what ruined it, because the back was almost straight when I took it down :ohwell:.

I'm on day 9, and my hair looks great, but I didn't feel like dealing with it so it's in a bun. My hair came out even better than the last time, and I couldn't be happier with my routine :yahoo:. I even got the "are you relaxed" question after church, and I got to dish out some hair info :supergrin:.

On Monday, I straightened my friend's hair, and it came out gorgeous!! She's a 4b natural with thick, black hair :love:. With the tension method, I gave her the best blowout I have ever done ever. I flatironed her hair with 2 passes, and she was so happy and shocked at how long her hair was. I'm so glad that I could use my newly found skills for someone else :blush:.

I found a natural hair salon that actually will perform a blowout (many refuse to use heat outside of a hood top dryer) so I'm thinking about applying the Beautiful Textures system and having the stylist do a quality blowout for me. I can do it myself with pretty good results, but it's exhausting and time consuming. I'm also oddly bad at washing my hair. I always end up with stuff still on my scalp.

I've been looking for this thread!

I am a natural who would flat iron only 5-6x a year give or take a flat iron. I started noticing that when my hair wasn't straight I would get SSKs that would kill my ends, so now I prefer to flat iron more often-- possibly heat train. I plan to flat iron 1x/month or every 5 weeks. My flat irons typically last 3 weeks (no humidity issues where I am), but going to the gym has been cutting flat irons to lasting only 2 weeks.

I was wondering what products everyone is using for when their hair is straight that doesn't weigh it down, but keeps your hair moisturized??

I'm in a strange place hair wise. I want to wear my hair curly but straight hair is sooooo easy. What say you ladies?
I think we've all been there. I know I have - many times still am. I've been having other questions and thoughts swirling through my mind recently like:
  • I sure miss being pampered and able to to chill out in a stylist's chair and walk out looking fab.
  • What's really more damaging - flat ironing the same strands continuously to be a straight hair natural or relaxing/texlaxing new growth only 2-3 times a year.
  • And the no# 1 question that's been haunting me - Am I only staying natural so I can proudly say, "I'm natural"? That question gives me chills because I think I know the answer to it.

@HappyAtLast i don't mean with a relaxer. I mean straight haired natural or curly natural. I won't get a relaxer unless I get a pixie. I can get relaxer results with my flat iron!

My hair when curly gets nothing but SSK's and matting. With constant heat I just have to stay on top of my trims and my ends are healthy but I have heat damage. I'm fine with the heat damage while it's straight. But then I want to wear it curly and curse myself cause it's so nice curly but my left side is damaged.

But you are right. We have all been here and had this feeling. I just need to make a choice & soon because it's time for a trim.

Back