Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Hey straight naturals lol. I go to the salon once a month for a press, I love my hair straight. Glad its getting cooler out so it will last longer.

Any special techniques that your stylist uses? Or products?

I've been wanting to go to the salon for a while, but I'm so cheap. I'm considering going to Huetiful here in Chicago.

I've realized that I don't care about my curl pattern at all anymore. Although it's holding up well I don't really care. Even when I wear my hair curly it's in a manipulated curly style.
Me either. I don't really know why I feel like that besides the points you mentioned. I mean I care in terms of wanting to keep it healthy and strong, but the actual look of my natural curl is not something I'm fighting to preserve because I don't wear fros, wash n gos, puffs, etc. I'm not afraid of "heat damage" to my curl pattern any more than I was afraid of relaxer damage to my curl pattern. As long as I'm happy about how I look, I'm all good.

Any special techniques that your stylist uses? Or products?

I've been wanting to go to the salon for a while, but I'm so cheap. I'm considering going to Huetiful here in Chicago.
Honestly im not even sure what products she uses but they work well with my hair,(i dont pay attention but they are good quality and professional) she always does a deep condition and when flat ironing my hair she only does 1-2 passes and i get trimmed as needed(maybe twice a year)

Me either. I don't really know why I feel like that besides the points you mentioned. I mean I care in terms of wanting to keep it healthy and strong, but the actual look of my natural curl is not something I'm fighting to preserve because I don't wear fros, wash n gos, puffs, etc. I'm not afraid of "heat damage" to my curl pattern any more than I was afraid of relaxer damage to my curl pattern. As long as I'm happy about how I look, I'm all good.
Yesssssss. Me either

So I am terrible. Someone come over here and slap me please so I can stop buying stuff. I just went to Walgreens and bought the Aussie Moist 3 minute that was on sale 3 for $10. Then I bought another thing of tresseme which I probably didn't need but I want to go back to the naturals line and I've been using the one for curly hair. I also bought more shea moisture curl and style milk since it was buy one get 1 half off. I bought 7 items and spent less than $40 with free shipping but I think I should take it easy. Help!

I'm going to go home and wash my hair. Maybe that will relax me. Lol

^^I was stalking that thread when it first started but then everyone started talking about scalp exfoliates and I didn't want to buy anything. I'm going to try to stay away from it for a month when I'm allowed to buy stuff again. Lol

I think I'll roll with some perm rods tonight. I want some curls!

That's the only way I can get the "curly look." I'm a straight haired natural --- who's hair is thermally straightened "AKA heat damaged." My hair feels and looks great...but when water touches .... it doesn't curl up. :/

That's the only way I can get the "curly look." I'm a straight haired natural --- who's hair is thermally straightened "AKA heat damaged." My hair feels and looks great...but when water touches .... it doesn't curl up. :/

Really, how long have you been a straight natural? How long has it been unable to revert?

At all? That sucks. I still have a curl pattern. Just not as curly as it should be

I still haven't washed my hair. I'm honestly tempted to go to the salon and have them wash my hair but the impending damage keeps me home.

Its getting colder. You know what that means....STRAIGHT HAIR!

But im so not interested in doing it myself. I bought a straight wig (Outre Annie) and ill wear that for awhile. Then maybe get my hair straightened professionally next month.

Ive heard some horror stories in regards to Beautiful Textures Manageability System. But i like it a lot. Im not all that concerned about curl pattern either :look: but its done nothing but make my hair even more curly. Ill be using it on my leave out today

I think I may joining you lot again. I am currently back to APL (from BSL) and hadn't straightened in almost 8 months until today. I need a trim and will be straightening my hair every 3 weeks after an overnight deep condition.

My hair doesn't seem to care about heat unless I do it often and it seems my type 4 hair retains better when I straighten periodically. The only downside is when my hair is stick straight it looks thin no matter how full it is curly, so have to use perm rods, or other curly style for volume.

I have just gone off Manetabolism Plus to get my skin back to form I need to be looking magical in the next few weeks so that's another reason I'm back on the hair side.

Hey everyone! So I went and got my hair pressed and trimmed yesterday and I'm really happy with the results! I just have a few questions. My stylist is great, really knowledgeable and cares about my hair but she said that I need to add just a bit of serum to my ends every night and nothing else. I am 4C and I'm not sure my hair can deal with that-- I'm used to moisturizing and sealing every day and DC'ing with heat every week. She did DC my hair with Dominican Magic, so it feels soft and moisturized, but how do I retain/restore moisture while my hair is straight without making my hair fluffy/revert??

Hey everyone! So I went and got my hair pressed and trimmed yesterday and I'm really happy with the results! I just have a few questions. My stylist is great, really knowledgeable and cares about my hair but she said that I need to add just a bit of serum to my ends every night and nothing else. I am 4C and I'm not sure my hair can deal with that-- I'm used to moisturizing and sealing every day and DC'ing with heat every week. She did DC my hair with Dominican Magic, so it feels soft and moisturized, but how do I retain/restore moisture while my hair is straight without making my hair fluffy/revert??
if you absolutely must, i would add serum and nothing else. my hair personally gets weighed down so quickly, i wouldn't dare do anything other than that.

i bet your hair will be fine for the week-2 weeks that you keep it straight. all that moisturizing and DC'ing you usually do has brought your hair to the super healthy state that it is now, so don't worry about it.

@Prettymetty thank you! I'll go look that up. @Rocky91 Okay, I feel better knowing that I'm not missing some vital step. Thank you guys!!! I'm just approaching APL after the trim she gave me, so I don't think my pics make any difference :spinning:

I'm messing with my hair too much. I'm going to put myself back on a mostly straight regimen.
DC and straighten every week-two weeks. Done.
Me too. I've probably messed with my hair more in the last 2 months than I did in the last 2 years! I'm still working on committing to being a full-time straight-haired natural.

i'm trying to be a straight hair natural but i work out 4-5 times a week and i sweat in my hair, does anyone has this challenge and what do you do?
Low intensity workouts only. Anything else with instantly revert your roots. You can do yoga, pilates, walk, or lift for example. I learned my lesson about a week into a blowout I did a hiit workout. Then I was stuck wearing a bun until I got my hair done again.

Low intensity workouts only. Anything else with instantly revert your roots. You can do yoga, pilates, walk, or lift for example. I learned my lesson about a week into a blowout I did a hiit workout. Then I was stuck wearing a bun until I got my hair done again.
But how helpful is this for someone who is really trying to lose weight and wants to go harder? I'm trying to give my sister some advice on this but I don't think low intensity workouts are a good alternative for her.

I'm bunning today and tomorrow. I'll wash, protein dc, moisture dc and blow dry and flat iron for next week. My routing is working. Still need to work on styling though. I'm about to get bored with the few I'm wearing.

But how helpful is this for someone who is really trying to lose weight and wants to go harder? I'm trying to give my sister some advice on this but I don't think low intensity workouts are a good alternative for her.

I'm bunning today and tomorrow. I'll wash, protein dc, moisture dc and blow dry and flat iron for next week. My routing is working. Still need to work on styling though. I'm about to get bored with the few I'm wearing.
If she doesn't mind puffy roots she can keep up with her current routine. The alternative is to eat less on days when she does a lower intensity workout.

My stylist blows her roots after each workout, but that's too much heat imo.

i'm trying to be a straight hair natural but i work out 4-5 times a week and i sweat in my hair, does anyone has this challenge and what do you do?
If my hair is super moisturized and flat ironed in very small sections, it won't revert all that much except for a little bit at the roots. NEVER wear a hat while working out if you want to keep hair straight. A high tight ponytail will keep me relatively straight. Then I find if I add serum and tie my scarf tightly, my roots will flatten out again overnight.

If my flatiron job gets ruined, i kinda have an attitude of...oh well. I'm not going to stop working out (I'm a part time personal trainer) so I roll with it in a bun or do bantu knot outs or add some foam wrap and throw it on some flexirods. I don't usually try to add heat because I find it never gets quite as straight as it was, so it's just a waste of damage. I just roll with the puffier texture and get creative. or i throw up my hands and cowash and bun until i'm ready to straighten it or style it again.

Okay so I'm not sure if I did wrong or not lol--
I got my hair straightened and so far it's been great-- I've gotten compliments, people have been surprised at how long it got etc.
but my moisture level!!

It usually feels soooo soft when it's curly, because I have my staples for when my hair is curly and I've mastered my personal protein-moisture balance, I DC weekly, etc.

But for the last few days I was putting oil on it like no one's business, because I just didn't feel like the serums were giving me the softness my hair should have.

And then last night was really windy here in NYC so it made my hair feel oily and dry at the same time!!! :giveup:

So when I got back to my dorm I went straight for a thick creamy moisture butter and put it all over my hair....and it finally got soft like I wanted AND didn't revert.

Sorry for the :blah::blah:, but all of this to ask:

Would using a more moisturizing/better DC (my stylist used a Dominican DC called Dominican Magic) or maybe using a leave in like Mizani Nighttime before blow drying help my hair's moisture level while straight?

Or should I just keep using the moisture butter (I just feel like it would weigh down my hair using it every day)

Thank you all in advance! :grouphug3:

Back