Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

So I straighten my hair but my ends are really puffy still

This is my first flatiron in 2 yrs

What I did.
1. Clarified wash
2. 2 min Protein treatment
3. Deep condition overnight
4. Detangled then added Chi silk infusion and air dried in twist then blow dried a few hours later to make sure was completely dry
5. Sectioned then added Fantasia IC and flatiron on 350 two passes
6. Wrapped hair overnight
7. Still puffy flatiron on 400 two passes
8. Very soft and silky but still puffy!

What should I do?
Roller set or warp or what?

Thanks!

Question! How often do y'all straighten your hair and how long do you keep it straight? Do you take breaks between wearing it straight or is out back to back? Have you suffered any adverse effects from frequent straightening and if so why and how did you recover and later prevent that happening again?

Sorry for the questions but I'm thinking of being straight this season but I don't want to cause any setbacks from constant pressing.

So I straighten my hair but my ends are really puffy still

This is my first flatiron in 2 yrs

What I did.
1. Clarified wash
2. 2 min Protein treatment
3. Deep condition overnight
4. Detangled then added Chi silk infusion and air dried in twist then blow dried a few hours later to make sure was completely dry
5. Sectioned then added Fantasia IC and flatiron on 350 two passes
6. Wrapped hair overnight
7. Still puffy flatiron on 400 two passes
8. Very soft and silky but still puffy!

What should I do?
Roller set or warp or what?

Thanks!

when you are nearing the ends of your hair with the flat iron....do you slow down or speed past your ends?

I noticed that I used to speed past my ends which would mean puffy ends. Now when I get to the ends of my hair I slow down with the flat iron but I also make sure my ends are well protected.

As of the last month or so I was straightening on a weekly basis and there have not appeared to be any negative effects SO FAR.

I pree-poo, deep condition with grapeseed oil overnight plus a few extra hours, I use heat various heat protectants, I only do 1 pass and I pin curl for the week.

My roots get puffy but its because I sweat a lot when I work out but the strands have stayed very straight. I have been using betonite clay instead of shampoo and my hair has reverted back very easily.

I have been taking two week breaks where I am wearing my hair in braid-outs. I am not sure how much longer I can tolerate keeping my hair straight because I am trying to lose weight so I workout at least 4 days a week and it impedes on my intensity level (because I do not want to sweat too much)

when you are nearing the ends of your hair with the flat iron....do you slow down or speed past your ends? I noticed that I used to speed past my ends which would mean puffy ends. Now when I get to the ends of my hair I slow down with the flat iron but I also make sure my ends are well protected.

I slowed down cuz that's the puffiest part... I clipped my ends also but my ends are still extremely puffy.

When I was relaxed my hair was thin and only needed one pass with a flatiron but as I natural I see I'm super thick, not sure it's just bc my hair is pretty much Virgin hair with no heat ever being on it? Like maybe it has to be trained? Not sure I dnt want my hair straight all the time just experimenting with straight since I'm APL now

Anyone know if the hotcomb leaves the hair with more texture in it?

I have fine hair and don't really want it to lie flat and silky.

It depends on how hard you press it. The softer the press the more texture left. The harder the press the straighter and silkier.

I slowed down cuz that's the puffiest part... I clipped my ends also but my ends are still extremely puffy.

When I was relaxed my hair was thin and only needed one pass with a flatiron but as I natural I see I'm super thick, not sure it's just bc my hair is pretty much Virgin hair with no heat ever being on it? Like maybe it has to be trained? Not sure I dnt want my hair straight all the time just experimenting with straight since I'm APL now

I started using a youtubers method (sistahwithrealhair....i.think) where she uses high heat ( i use 410) but only 1 pass

Last edited:
JessieLeleB is there a reason you airdried and blow dried it? I notice that when I air dry then flat iron my hair gets puffy. Or I need a trim. Or I didn't use enough serum on my ends.

JessieLeleB is there a reason you airdried and blow dried it? I notice that when I air dry then flat iron my hair gets puffy. Or I need a trim. Or I didn't use enough serum on my ends.

Idk I just put the serum on then twisted and watched tv and then a few hours later was about I flatiron and it was a little damp so I blowdried it.

I'm sure I used enough serum cuz my hands would have serum on them as I touched my hair after the flatiron.

I did clip my ends I took about an inch off dnt wanna turn too much.

Maybe blowdry in braids instead of twist to get my hair to 'stretch' more before I flatiron?

I dnt know.... :(

I started using a youtubers method (sistahwithrealhair....i.think) where she uses high heat ( i use 410) but only 1 pass

I'm so scared of super high heat on my first tries to flatiron but I might just have to try just dnt want extreme heat damage. Can one use too much heat protectant and still cause damage?

Are you using the comb chase method? That also worked for me. I don't use super high heat anymore. I don't wanna heat train my hair.

I got my hair flat ironed yesterday. Comb and chase method at Reniece's hair salon.

I used my edge stick this morning to touch up the roots and edges. That tool is the HOTNESS! It got right down to my scalp and didn't burn me!

Edge Stick review---Yes it's expensive. Yes it's worth it.

Attachments

• image-3233152270.jpg
    image-3233152270.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 191
  • image-1902847824.jpg
    image-1902847824.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 204
  • image-3763770727.jpg
    image-3763770727.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 181
Are any of you having success flat ironing every 2 or 3 weeks without getting heat damage? I want to start doing this for the winter months.

Are any of you having success flat ironing every 2 or 3 weeks without getting heat damage? I want to start doing this for the winter months.

I thermally pressed from Sept - May every two weeks. Try not to use heat after the initial straightening, make sure you have a really good heat protectant. Preferably a serum based one.
I only had a small bit of heat damage to my bangs but that was bc I used the flat iron there every morning hence my warning about not using heat after you straighten. :grin:

straightened my hair on Friday

these pics are from today after the gym. I sweat A LOT, and I am trying different methods. Today I wore a scarf to work out in and then I turned the scarf inside out so that the dry side was now touching my hair. I showered, put on my clothes and makeup and then I blow dried my hair with the scarf ON with warm heat. Then took the scarf off and used the cool button. All of this took less than 10 mins because this time my hair was not soaking wet and I think it has to do with keeping the scarf on.

I started spraying my hair with Organix Every Straight Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shimmering Keratin Oil to make my pincurls at night. I have no idea if it really will help to strengthen my hair but it sure does make my hair smell grrrrreat!!
500.JPG

Cyclomethicone, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, PEG 12 Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Fragrance

I ordered the Nicole Ari Parker: Save your do GymWrap
saveyourdo_store_fulltriwrap_medium.jpg

2013-10-20160438.jpg

2013-10-20160453.jpg

2013-10-20160510.jpg

Last edited:
TopShelf

I was thinking of ordering that scarf but wondering if it was worth it.

do you feel you sweat less or the same with it on? in other words, was your hair dryer after using this scarf as compared with other methods?

Is the only way to get FLOWY, LIGHT natural hair is to use barely any product (besides heat protectant) and high heat?

My long-term goal is to be a natural who straightens bimonthly, but not heat trained.

TopShelf

do you feel you sweat less or the same with it on? in other words, was your hair dryer after using this scarf as compared with other methods?

My hair was drier with the scarf on even though I did sweat just as much as I normally sweat, which is quite a bit. I feel like the scarf absorbed some of the moisture even thought it was not a cotton scarf (it was some sort of silky polyester), as opposed to the sweat just sitting on top of my head until i blow dried it. Also I feel like the pressure from the hair being tied down did not allow the hair to get really puffy.

My coworker uses that Save your do GymWrap and she is a straight haired natural. She said that the key is to wait at least 10 mins after the workout to remove it from your hair. I just ordered mine today.

Last edited:
Idk I just put the serum on then twisted and watched tv and then a few hours later was about I flatiron and it was a little damp so I blowdried it.

I'm sure I used enough serum cuz my hands would have serum on them as I touched my hair after the flatiron.

I did clip my ends I took about an inch off dnt wanna turn too much.

Maybe blowdry in braids instead of twist to get my hair to 'stretch' more before I flatiron?

I dnt know.... :(

JessieLeleB

I had the same issue when I used a blowdryer. I trimmed before and after and my hair still responded the same way. I am not a lost on what to do.

Has anyone else had this issue or is there a thread you could point us to?

TopShelf

I've been using the Save your do Gym wrap for about 2 years and it does make a difference in how much moisture remains in my hair. It doesn't keep my hair completely dry, but it does remove the majority of the sweat from my hair, and I sweat a lot from my head. When I used a cotton scarf, my hair would be drenched, but now it is just a little damp with this wrap. I prefer the smaller one that is more like a band. I also ordered other moisture-wicking bands from amazon, and those work great as well. Someone mentioned this before, but I don't remove it for at least 15 minutes after a workout, and once I do, I put a silk scarf over my head while I am in the shower to keep my edges flat while they continue to dry. (long response, I know :)

Just finished blowing out my hair..Used Tressame heat tamer spray,dax gold Ceramide pomade on ends..CC whipped on edges..Hair twisted/flexi rods on ends...satin bonnet to cover.Sprayed the bottom with suve holding herbal spray.

Happy Hair Growing!

As of the last month or so I was straightening on a weekly basis and there have not appeared to be any negative effects SO FAR. I pree-poo, deep condition with grapeseed oil overnight plus a few extra hours, I use heat various heat protectants, I only do 1 pass and I pin curl for the week. My roots get puffy but its because I sweat a lot when I work out but the strands have stayed very straight. I have been using betonite clay instead of shampoo and my hair has reverted back very easily. I have been taking two week breaks where I am wearing my hair in braid-outs. I am not sure how much longer I can tolerate keeping my hair straight because I am trying to lose weight so I workout at least 4 days a week and it impedes on my intensity level (because I do not want to sweat too much)

This is the only thing stopping me from straightening my hair, the gym. Does anyone have tips to keep it straight and work out at the intensity I need to.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

When my hair was longer, I would put it up in a pulled back high pony to keep the ends away from any moisture and use a bandana around my edges to wick away the sweat.

I'm flat ironing my hair for the first time since I have started my HHJ. I'm going to a stylist that was recommended by a natural-haired colleague. Any suggestions about what I should do to prepare my hair for the heat? Should I pre-poo or stay away from oils? There is so much info out there that I feel overwhelmed. The one thing I know for sure is to use a heat protectant (I'm gonna bring my own just in case). Thanks in advance!

I'm currently wearing my hair in 2 flat twists with braided ends. I need to straighten my hair but I honestly don't have the time. I'm going to straighten next week-ish and trim. Then bun until it gets really cold aka hat time. Hopefully I will crochet a hat by then.

I straightened my hair on Friday for the first time since February. It's reverting now but here is a pic. I should have taken pics when it was bone straight but I'll try to remember next time.

ioot1u.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Back