Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

if i decided to straighten my roots with a hot comb until i had enough new growth to feel more comfortable relaxing it, which hot combs would you recommend? I don't see much on this forum about hot combs. are they better/worse than flat irons?

[USER=380627]naija24[/USER];18207125 said:
if i decided to straighten my roots with a hot comb until i had enough new growth to feel more comfortable relaxing it, which hot combs would you recommend? I don't see much on this forum about hot combs. are they better/worse than flat irons?

I think most people are using flat irons. I used to have an electric hot comb but it doesn't have temp control and that's a no-no. That's the mode important thing to control the heat.

So a week after straightening, how do you refresh it? My hair looks gorgeous last Friday, but now not so much. It had beautiful curls in it which are gone now. Thinking of setting on flexi rods. Anyone had success with doing it on your straightened hair?

Bumping to hear more of people's experiences being straight haired naturals? And question would you say this is different from being a heat trained natural? Since those in that category are purposely trying to alter their curl pattern but it seems in here everyone seems to be trying to straighten without much curl pattern change?

Bumping to hear more of people's experiences being straight haired naturals? And question would you say this is different from being a heat trained natural? Since those in that category are purposely trying to alter their curl pattern but it seems in here everyone seems to be trying to straighten without much curl pattern change?

I like straightening my hair regularly. I don't think this is the same as being heat trained because my hair reverts when I wash it(be it kinky or curly sections the root is the same texture as the ends). If I were heat trained detangling and straightening might be a little faster lol. I guess the difference to me is that permanently straightening my hair isn't my end goal. However if my hair did get heat damage or heat training I wouldn't care. I'm just not doing that on purpose.

When I was straightening last year I didn't want train. For my hair, not anyone elses, that is damage that eventually causes severe breakage leading to a chop. Btdt.

I like straightening my hair regularly. I don't think this is the same as being heat trained because my hair reverts when I wash it(be it kinky or curly sections the root is the same texture as the ends). If I were heat trained detangling and straightening might be a little faster lol. I guess the difference to me is that permanently straightening my hair isn't my end goal. However if my hair did get heat damage or heat training I wouldn't care. I'm just not doing that on purpose.

Thanks for explaining this to me! I feel exactly the way you do I plan on straightening regularly, but I don't want to heat train. At the same if I do lose some pattern I really wouldn't mind or care. Now I just need to figure out a regimen and how often I want to straighten, I know I want to roller set instead of blow drying to stretch the hair.

Well ladies I flat ironed my hair! The regimen I followed is:

Shampooed twice with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo
Deep conditioned with Silicon Mix Bambu for 40 minutes
Applied Lacio Lacio, Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructor, and Fantasia IC Heat Protectant
I blow dried my hair and then flat ironed with my Sedu flat iron on 360 and then bumped the ends with my H2Pro flat iron. Afterwards, I pin curled my hair and put on my scarf can't wait to see how it looks in the morning. Sorry the picture isn't turned right for some reason pictures on my phone upload that way :-\

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130817_211609.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130817_211609.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 234
Have you tried Aveda Anti-humectant pomade? This worked the best for me. It's expensive, but a little goes a long way.

i used it YEARS ago.....

i haven't tried it recently. (but i have an aveda salon right up the street so i could get some today)

how do you use it? when do you apply? and how often?

i used it YEARS ago.....

i haven't tried it recently. (but i have an aveda salon right up the street so i could get some today)

how do you use it? when do you apply? and how often?

I only apply on the day I wash/condish/flatiron. After I'm done, I run about a dime sized amount through my whole head with my fingertips.

My hair's been in braids for over 2 weeks, I can't wait to take them out in a couple days and get my straight hair back!:grin: I also got a monster growth spurt last time I had braids and I'm hoping for a repeat. My scalp is really irritated right now though, which always seems to happen when my hair is braided for more than a week.:ohwell:

My hair just won't stay straight. I guess my scalp generates too much heat.

Anyone use sabino moisture block with any success?

Here is my flat ironed hair after being wrapped in a scarf all night. I mean....really? Still curls up. Scarf didn't come off. Hair was tied down in a cross wrap. Hair was bone straight when I went to bed.

Attachments

• image-2905998678.jpg
    image-2905998678.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 185
  • image-245501614.jpg
    image-245501614.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 188
Can I see a pic of ur texture? Did u apply serum or oil when u were done?

I applied heat protectant as I flat ironed. I have a corioliss k2 infusion iron that steams the heat protectant into the hair. No other product was applied.

My hair always reverts like this though. Regardless of what I use or don't use.

Here's a pic of my naked hair.

Attachments

• image-344467447.jpg
    image-344467447.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 246
havilland

:drool: your hair is gawwwwww-juuuuusssss

Have tried a regular wrap rather the cross wrap?
What temp do you flatiron at?
Do you use the chase-method while holding the hair taut?

havilland

:drool: your hair is gawwwwww-juuuuusssss

Have tried a regular wrap rather the cross wrap?
What temp do you flatiron at?
Do you use the chase-method while holding the hair taut?

I have tried - regular wrap, cross wrap, twisting it in a bun, putting it in a high pony, putting it in two twists (think princess Leaha. Massive fail)

The most effective is the bun. But gives me big loopy curls on the ends and flat roots. Not straight ends. I hold my hair taught. I do not comb and chase because my hair is fine and that's too much manipulation. My hair get pretty straight on the blow dry and I can usually straighten it with one pass of the flat iron.

This is freshly flat ironed hair using the method above

I flat iron at 340-375. My hair gets bone straight.

Attachments

• image-1575306040.jpg
    image-1575306040.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 182
havilland all your posts this past week are really making me want to straighten my hair!! Before I relaxed last year I was a straight hair natural but didn't realize until well after I had relaxed that I'd done some real damage (I think my heat setting was too high - 400), I can't wait to figure out how to be a SHN (straight hair natural) the right way.

...back to lurk mode

I'm so glad I found this thread. I think that this is going to be the best of both worlds for me. I don't like having to maintain relaxed hair (appointments, etc.), but I like my hair straight.

I remember as a child my hair was natural and hip length. And my mother hot combed my hair every week.

This week when I wash I am going to ditch the blow dryer and try setting my hair on rollers before flat ironing. I am going to try and incorporate more protective styles in my straight hair regimen so I get the best of both worlds. After this week I am going to try and stretch my heat sessions to once every two weeks.

This week I ruined my hair. I used too much olive oil after I finished flat ironing my hair :( oh well ponytails it is.

ForumRunner_20130827_121150.jpg

I flat ironed my hair again this past weekend, I tried to do a rollerset before flat ironing it was an ultimate fail!! I had to run over sections repeatedly because the roots were not stretched enough. Blah... I ended up washing out the straight hair on Sunday and doing a wash & go. I don't plan on straightening my hair again until it starts getting cold.

Bump! Anyone in here that straightens their hair and then protective style on a weekly or biweekly bases?

Bump! Anyone in here that straightens their hair and then protective style on a weekly or biweekly bases?
i am currently trying this for my new regimen now that its getting cooler. i started to straighten my hair and put it into two french braids. so far its really easy to manage and if it gets frizzy i still look ok.

i am currently trying this for my new regimen now that its getting cooler. i started to straighten my hair and put it into two french braids. so far its really easy to manage and if it gets frizzy i still look ok.

Thank you! I really wish I knew how to french braid.

Back