Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

I'm so glad I found this page. I have my stylist flat iron my hair at least once every two weeks. I deep condition under the steamer and then have it flat ironed. I've been doing this for the past 6 months and my hair has grown longer. I must also add that I have the Global Keratin Treatment which I absolutely love. Right now I've been using Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Leave in Moisturizer on my hair and I seal with coconut oil every few days. My hair doesn't revert but it does feel weighed down. What's everyone else using?
coconut oil weighs my hair down. I use hot 6 oil (literally one drop) or Sally's argan oil (this is lighter so I can use 2-3 drops). This keeps my hair soft and retains body.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

ensue vent: I hate taking showers... I be having to put like 3 shower caps on and STILL my edges get damp... I mean all around edges... Like wtf am I doing wrong...
I'm late but I use the same thing I use when I sleep. A stocking cap over a silk scarf. Then I put a shower cap on. No more wet or damp hair.

I'm a straight natural. I struggled with keeping my hair in its natural state and I felt like I was losing a lot of hair during the detaingling process. My hair has never felt healthier than it does now. My regimen is I wash every 2 weeks. Shampoo with a medicated shampoo for my scalp, deep condition under the dryer with Shea moisture deep conditioner, blow dry with grape seed oil and flat iron. My hair stays straight if I sleep with my scarf and everything. I usually don't though and my hair still stays pretty straight. When I shower I wrap my hair in a bandana and wear a shower cap which keeps my roots straight. For curls I pin curl my hair at night to reduce the use of heat. I've been doing this for about 6 months. So far I haven't noticed any heat damage which I honestly wouldnt care if I had any...

ForumRunner_20131224_084202.jpg

I've seen it on other people. There are usually straight and curly pieces. Your hair might look like someone who is transitioning. People can usually hide it when it's straight.

Thank you so much--I guess I have bad heat damage :perplexed because I have a lot of that going on. I asked my stylist about it and she said it was just "thermal straightening" and that it was normal and not damaged hair at all. Anyone else experience heat damage?? Do I have to cut off all my hair? It's not breaking or shedding -- I just can't wear my natural hair curly because yes, it does look like I'm transitioning!

I didn't straighten very much while I was transitioning because my ends were weak. My goal was to preserve my length while transitioning so i didn't want to damage my ends with heat overuse. I snipped away at my ends for about a year until they were all gone. (I still have a few relaxed ends but not much. Maybe an inch or two in the front of my head)

havilland so how long did you transition? A year?

I'm aiming for 8-10 months. So three braid installs. So scary to transition. Is it possible to be a straight haired transitioner without breakage?

@havilland so how long did you transition? A year?

I'm aiming for 8-10 months. So three braid installs. So scary to transition. Is it possible to be a straight haired transitioner without breakage?

Two years. It started out as a long stretch and just continued.

eta -- i didn't have any breakage but i had to focus on deep conditioning constantly and being very gentle with my hair when detangling....also, knowing when to trim was important in order to avoid breakage. i really had to know when my ends needed a good snip

Last edited:
I'm a straight natural. I struggled with keeping my hair in its natural state and I felt like I was losing a lot of hair during the detaingling process. My hair has never felt healthier than it does now. My regimen is I wash every 2 weeks. Shampoo with a medicated shampoo for my scalp, deep condition under the dryer with Shea moisture deep conditioner, blow dry with grape seed oil and flat iron. My hair stays straight if I sleep with my scarf and everything. I usually don't though and my hair still stays pretty straight. When I shower I wrap my hair in a bandana and wear a shower cap which keeps my roots straight. For curls I pin curl my hair at night to reduce the use of heat. I've been doing this for about 6 months. So far I haven't noticed any heat damage which I honestly wouldnt care if I had any...

Pretty hair! Sounds like you have a good regimen too. Did U achieve those ponytail curls via pin curls at night ? Do u ever opt to not flat iron and instead do textured styles ?

Your reggie is very similar to mine when I straightened every 2-3 weeks. I got consistent growth with it too. I have twists now and I've had to change things a little.

Have any of you ladies suffered from heat damage due to consistent straightening? I was entertaining the idea of going back to being a straightened natural once my hair is longer, but I am scarred for life! My hair looked great straight, but the front of my hair refused to curl when wet. Is it a given that using heat will lead to damaged curls?

Here's a pic of my hair when I used to straighten it *sigh*

Attachments

• image-1565538963.jpg
    image-1565538963.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 166
Pretty hair! Sounds like you have a good regimen too. Did U achieve those ponytail curls via pin curls at night ? Do u ever opt to not flat iron and instead do textured styles ?

Thanks! I curled my hair initially with my flat iron and either 6 pin curls or about 6 bantu knots at night. This ponytail is like a week after I initially flat ironed. Sometimes I wear my hair straight and do one big bantu knot on top of my head at night and my hair turns out pretty curly in the morning. I'm so lazy lol. I refuse to put a lot of time into my hair like I used to and my hair is better for it.

I always flat iron. No textured styles... Too lazy to do much styling, smh.

Your reggie is very similar to mine when I straightened every 2-3 weeks. I got consistent growth with it too. I have twists now and I've had to change things a little.

Did u moisturize often? I only deep condition for moisture. Otherwise I only use grapeseed oil when my hair feel dry. I can't believe how good my hair feels with this reggie. I'm a true believer that u have to find what works for u. I'm doing everything I learned not to do now that I think about it, lol. Oh well...

Have any of you ladies suffered from heat damage due to consistent straightening? I was entertaining the idea of going back to being a straightened natural once my hair is longer, but I am scarred for life! My hair looked great straight, but the front of my hair refused to curl when wet. Is it a given that using heat will lead to damaged curls?

Here's a pic of my hair when I used to straighten it *sigh*
You're soo pretty! How long have you been flat ironing, how often, how many swipes. I honestly think one has to be veryyyy careful when they use heat and be discretionary with it. Your hair straightened looks quite fine so maybe you could use heat less frequently or alternate between blow drying and flat ironing? Also, I'd def up the protein since you seem to have fine hair and also because you are using heat.

Thanks! I curled my hair initially with my flat iron and either 6 pin curls or about 6 bantu knots at night. This ponytail is like a week after I initially flat ironed. Sometimes I wear my hair straight and do one big bantu knot on top of my head at night and my hair turns out pretty curly in the morning. I'm so lazy lol. I refuse to put a lot of time into my hair like I used to and my hair is better for it.

I always flat iron. No textured styles... Too lazy to do much styling, smh.

Did u moisturize often? I only deep condition for moisture. Otherwise I only use grapeseed oil when my hair feel dry. I can't believe how good my hair feels with this reggie. I'm a true believer that u have to find what works for u. I'm doing everything I learned not to do now that I think about it, lol. Oh well...

Thank you! I totally understand! For daily maintainence I don't see myself twisting up my hair nightly.

You're soo pretty! How long have you been flat ironing, how often, how many swipes. I honestly think one has to be veryyyy careful when they use heat and be discretionary with it. Your hair straightened looks quite fine so maybe you could use heat less frequently or alternate between blow drying and flat ironing? Also, I'd def up the protein since you seem to have fine hair and also because you are using heat.

Thanks! I definitely abused the heat :lol: I think I would usually do two passes because I wanted my hair pin straight. I'll definitely keep these things in mind if I do go back to wearing my hair straight.

When I used grapeseed oil as a heat protectant, it provided a lot of moisture so with that, and my DC I didn't have to moisturize much in between wash days. Even when I didn't use grapeseed oil, as long as my pH balance was good I didn't have moisturize much either.

My hair doesn't stay strait.:nono: For me, it's a lot of work for temporary results. Ladies, how do you retain your strait style?

My hair doesn't stay strait.:nono: For me, it's a lot of work for temporary results. Ladies, how do you retain your strait style?

Proper straightening technique. No matter the level of heat, if I don't use the comb chase method my hair will frizz. Also applying a light oil to my hair before I set it for the night. Sweet almond or jojoba oil works well.

This is my best flat iron yet and I had to throw out all of the advice given about not putting a lot of product on the hair. My strands are wispy fine and needed to be weighted down. I used more heat protectant serum. Instead of the recommended quarter size for my whole head, I used quarter size per section in 6 sections. Hope that makes sense.

This press is still straight at 10 days old. Usually it reverts right after I'm finished or as soon as I walk out of the door. LoL

GL! :)

MzSwift your hair is beautiful and thick---how often do you flat iron? How do you avoid heat damage?? It's so hard to daily moisturize and seal because my hair reverts as soon as I do it. :ohwell:

Jace032000

Thank you so much! :)
I'm new to the game so I've only flat ironed once every 4 mths this year.

I'm on a new regi of using heat every 2 weeks alternating direct and indirect (rollersetting). I watched Sistawithrealhair on YT and she uses Grapeseed oil to moisturize. I also like Safflower oil. They're both very light oils. I only use a little bit and then braid it up and cover. So far so good! It's not oily when I take them down either.

I'm praying my heat protectant and use of cones help to prevent heat damage. I also do a good protein DC and moisturizing DC with my washes. But, honestly, I don't know if I'll be doing curly styles anymore.

Jace032000

Thank you so much! :)
I'm new to the game so I've only flat ironed once every 4 mths this year.

I'm on a new regi of using heat every 2 weeks alternating direct and indirect (rollersetting). I watched Sistawithrealhair on YT and she uses Grapeseed oil to moisturize. I also like Safflower oil. They're both very light oils. I only use a little bit and then braid it up and cover. So far so good! It's not oily when I take them down either.

I'm praying my heat protectant and use of cones help to prevent heat damage. I also do a good protein DC and moisturizing DC with my washes. But, honestly, I don't know if I'll be doing curly styles anymore.

Awesome---thank you! Looks like you're using ceramics to seal? Makes sense. At the moment I'm not using anything after I get my hair flat ironed because I feared reversion lol.

deep conditioning over night may be the reason for my breakage. i have now been conditioning with steam for 30 mins after my protein treatment and i have noticed that the breakage has stopped.

i think i was making my hair too soft with the overnight conditioning which lead to easy breakage.

i have also been using Lush R &B to moisturize and Creme of Nature argan oil to seal my ends while straight

Last edited:
Hi ladies. Im new here, but Ive been lurking since forever lol. I wear my hair straight 70% of the time. Im natural 4bcdefg and when my hair isnt straightits hiding under a wig :)

I flat ironed my own hair this past Saturday and I am really digging it. The last time I straightened my own hair was years and years ago so this was huge to me! I normally get it pressed at the salon.

I steamed, cleansed and conditioned with Silk Dream products. Sectioned my hair in 5 sections, applied 4 spritz's of It's a 10 leave in and 1 pump of Carol's Daughter Macadamia serum to each section before roller setting. Sat under the dryer for 1 hour until the set was dry. I flat ironed the roots using 2-3 passes and 1 pass on the length.

My at home flat iron resulted in light hair that had a lot of body. I know that had a lot to do with roller setting first. My pressed salon hair is super shiny and pin straight. She normally sits me under the hair dryer after the wash process for 30 minutes, blow dry the hair straight then use a pressing comb. Honestly, I like both looks equally now that I think about it. So I will be dropping by this thread from time to time when I flat iron my own hair at home or get it pressed at the salon. I need to purchase a flat iron as I borrowed my step daughter's for this past flat ironing session. I'll be researching for the next month to find a good one.

Last edited:
okay ladies. I decided to straighten my hair for the new year so took my weave out couple days ago, washed, but didn't dc or prepoo :rolleyes: so I did an overnight dc last night. Washed this morning followed by aphogee 2min. Oh and I went back to dark hair. The crown needs to be redone

Attachments

• KINDLE_CAMERA_1385986366000.jpg
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1385986366000.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 247
Back