Soultanicals Reviews

So I finally used the Magical Molasses Deep Constructor yesterday.
It smells like dark caramel but the smell doesn't linger. Application, it spread easy enough and I was able to lightly detangle as I applied. It felt meh once it was on though, I was gearing up for disappointment. Sat under the dryer for 30 minutes. My hair definitely felt better after using heat. Hair was crazy soft upon rinse out and detangling went without a hitch. I'll see how my hair does over the week but I just may like this one.

It smells like dark caramel but the smell doesn't linger. Application, it spread easy enough and I was able to lightly detangle as I applied. It felt meh once it was on though, I was gearing up for disappointment. Sat under the dryer for 30 minutes. My hair definitely felt better after using heat. Hair was crazy soft upon rinse out and detangling went without a hitch. I'll see how my hair does over the week but I just may like this one.
@rileypak , Glad you had a good result with this so far. I bought some on Black Friday, but I have not used it yet, hope it works well for me too. I think I will also try it with heat using my heat conditioner cap.

I have been debating about trying this one so thank you for your review! So, you didn't feel the need to follow up with a moisturizing DC (with it being a reconstructor)? What strength of a protein would you say it is? Does a little go along way (trying to see if I can get away with buying a sample size)? I am SUPER protein sensitive, so I wanna be sure before I pick up a jar. Thanks Ms. Riley!

I swapped out all (most) of my ST'icals (with the exception of Conditioning Curl Crème), Pumpkin Knot Butta and a jar of Curl Elastic.

Now I wish I would have kept that Molasses Reconstruct.:angry2:

@rileypak Great Review.:up:

Last edited:
I have been debating about trying this one so thank you for your review! So, you didn't feel the need to follow up with a moisturizing DC (with it being a reconstructor)? What strength of a protein would you say it is? Does a little go along way (trying to see if I can get away with buying a sample size)? I am SUPER protein sensitive, so I wanna be sure before I pick up a jar. Thanks Ms. Riley!

Nah, no DC follow up for me. My hair was pretty soft after I rinsed it out. Once I applied my protein spray and moisturizing creamy leave-ins, my hair was like buttah.

For me, it's a light protein (anything I use with baobab protein by itself is light). To be fair though, I don't consider it a protein treatment either for my hair. It behaves like a balancing DC for me - my hair was mildly strengthened but very moisturized.

If you're protein sensitive then maybe following up with a moisturizing DC after would be best. I'm not particularly sensitive so I could get away with what I did (I use some kind of protein containing product every wash day). I say grab a sample jar and do a patch test before committing to a regular size just in case your hair hates it.

Nah, no DC follow up for me. My hair was pretty soft after I rinsed it out. Once I applied my protein spray and moisturizing creamy leave-ins, my hair was like buttah.

For me, it's a light protein (anything I use with baobab protein by itself is light). To be fair though, I don't consider it a protein treatment either for my hair. It behaves like a balancing DC for me - my hair was mildly strengthened but very moisturized.

If you're protein sensitive then maybe following up with a moisturizing DC after would be best. I'm not particularly sensitive so I could get away with what I did (I use some kind of protein containing product every wash day). I say grab a sample jar and do a patch test before committing to a regular size just in case your hair hates it.

Thank you @rileypak !!! Will grab a sample when I place another order.

Sigh.....

I have loved, or at least liked, everything I have tried from Soultanicals. Ya'll know how much I love my Sorrell Kink Drink and I order them by the dozen. Well, I picked up 4 more bottles during the past BF sale. I opened one to use last night and I am not sure WHAT it was, but it was not the same. It usually softens my hair on contact and makes it so manageable. This batch made my hair angry. It instantly felt hard and dry (I don't know how that is possible when I am spraying a liquid on my hair). I also hated the smell. It had a vinegar undertone to it. I am hoping that this is just an isolated incident, but I have read before that people have had consistency issues with her products. I just figured that you can't possibly mess up a liquid leave-in...I was wrong.

I used to complain about her long shipping times, but I would rather wait for quality and consistent products than to get thrown together crap in 2 days. I always worry when handmade vendors become mainstream because their quality always seems to suffer. For example, Camille Rose has great products but before she went mainstream, they were AMAZING products. I said it before, but I am tired of being burned by handmade vendors and their consistency issues. And I don't wanna hear that excuse about how natural product batches vary but the performance will be the same. NO it is NOT the same.

I swear this is why I have been hoping to find more mainstream staples.

@AgeinATL
Sorry to hear that...

I always worry about that with the amount of handmades that I rely on (besides shampoo and non-mixed oils, everything I use is a handmade). I've been really looking harder at OTG stuff so I can have backups to all the HMs I love.

Me too girl. I love handmades (when they are made right) and I love how they make my hair feel but this is like the 4th vendor that I have had issues with when it comes to inconsistency issues. I think I am going to try the TGIN line. I know that you spoke highly of their leave-in and their DC seems to get great reviews. I got excited that it is offered at Sally and I am waiting for one of their BOGO free sales to grab them.

@curlyhersheygirl and @IDareT'sHair

I have THE MOST picky and finicky hair on the freakin planet. I WISH I could find multiple staples in different categories. That is why I get so krunk (um, do people still use that word??? #ATLIEN) when I find something that works. When I have these issues, I feel like I am going back to square one and it is expensive and time consuming to find staples.

@AgeinATL Sorry to hear about that. I can totally relate because my hair is VERY finicky , so I too rejoice when I find something that works. My hair hated the Sorell Kink Drink, it was too drying for me.

I love hand made products but I've noticed with all these inconsistencies and reformulations, I have to make sure I find comparable products that I can get on the ground.

I thought that was you who said that you hated the Sorrell. I was SHOCKED but now I see what you were saying. I wonder if you too got a 'bad batch'.
I hear ya girl. These issues are what drove me to look at Shea Moisture when I would have never given them the time of day. I found a really good DC (the superfruit mask) but it isn't quite AS good as the handmades (when they make them correctly). Have you tried the TGIN line?

@AgeinATL I was suprised my hair reacted badly to it given that I liked the performance of the other Kink Drinks. My hair is already naturally dry so I really can't afford anything making it worse. Same here, except I had the Superfruit Masque and gave it to a freind since I have so much stuff. I do have the Superfruit conditioner though (haven't tried it yet).

So far I'm just mix if Bekura YAM with my DC's and it's been making my DC work better for whatever reason but I'll take it lol. I haven't tried anything from the TGIN line yet, but the masque gets good reviews. Moknowshair from YouTube uses that line as well and I love her hair and techniques.

Back