small TWEAKS for big RESULTS

There's a great tip about section hair and massging deep conditioner for at least 3-5 mintues in another thread that sounds very effective!

I'm going to give this a try!:yep:

I feel GOOD...my big sis has finally used some of my hair tips for her relaxed hair and it looks so much healthier. She still thinks I'm obessed :grin:, but it is working!

Adding this small tweak is huge for me!! Jheri Curl Juice :yep:. I just did a henna treatment which sucks the moisture out of my hair. I sprayed S-Curl all over my freshly washed hair and all I can say is WOW. Soft supple air dryed coils at 11 weeks post.

I relax my hair in sections, parting my hair horizontally in up to 5 sections and I start at the bottom. I protect each wet relaxed section with oil, then I braid it up, pin it with Good Hair Days pins and cover it with plastic cap. When I'm finished, I take down all of the sections for a final wash with neutralizing shampoo and rinse. This is more time consuming but it gives me good, predictable results and peace of mind. :)

For my nape, I am now deciding to relax it once each year. I was leaving it alone period and now it's several inches long. I've learned that my nape is a completely different texture than the rest of my hair and has to be treated differently.

I learned much from the ladies here also. :yep:

For example, I learned from Anky to wet each magnetic roller before rolling up my wet hair. It clings very easily to the roller and makes the whole rollersetting experience easier. As one of the ladies here mentioned already, the wet rollers make the ends very smooth and straight.

I still use Sylver2's method of drying (except I airdry overnight) my hair by tying the front part of my wet hair (after applying leave-in, oil or serum) tightly with a satin scarf and rolling up part of the length using about 6 to 8 rollers. It's easier to sleep in and when my hair is dry, all I have to do is remove the rollers and scarf. My hair on top and sides are very smooth and very close to the scalp, almost like it was flat ironed. I don't comb it, I just fluff out my curls a little.

At night, if I'm going to wear my hair out the next day, I make about 8 pin curls and cover my hair again with the scarf. This is perfect when stretching out relaxers since it keeps the newgrowth manageable and smooth.for longer periods of time. :):up:

Applying ACV directly to my scalp for 1 hour before I shampoo. I haven't had itching or dandruff in months. I still do a regular ACV rinse after washing & conditioning.

Covering my car's headrest with a satin bonnet. It finally occurred to me how much my hair rubs against the headrest when I drive. I bought a couple satin bonnets that match my car's interior and switch them every week. This has greatly reduced splits and breakage in my crown and nape.
I love the satin bonnet over the headrest idea! :yep: I used to drape a satin scarf over mine but the bonnet is much better--thank you!:up: I may even get the satin bonnets with a tie.

wow, I really like this thread! I don't have any tweaks, (i think) but I think I'm at the same stage as the OP: have a regimen but needs some tweaking. I have gotten a lot of good ideas so far.
I relax my hair in sections, parting my hair horizontally in up to 5 sections and I start at the bottom.

I didnt think anyone else did this. I used to try to do the traditional "part your hair in four sections" application. When my mom found out that I was self relaxing, she suggested the horizontal application. It works so much easier and I can get a better feel for the different curl patterns of my new growth.

kewl:cool:

I relax my hair in sections, parting my hair horizontally in up to 5 sections and I start at the bottom. I protect each wet relaxed section with oil, then I braid it up, pin it with Good Hair Days pins and cover it with plastic cap. When I'm finished, I take down all of the sections for a final wash with neutralizing shampoo and rinse. This is more time consuming but it gives me good, predictable results and peace of mind. :)

For my nape, I am now deciding to relax it once each year. I was leaving it alone period and now it's several inches long. I've learned that my nape is a completely different texture than the rest of my hair and has to be treated differently.

I learned much from the ladies here also. :yep:

:ohwell:

For example, I learned from Anky to wet each magnetic roller before rolling up my wet hair. It clings very easily to the roller and makes the whole rollersetting experience easier. As one of the ladies here mentioned already, the wet rollers make the ends very smooth and straight.

I still use Sylver2's method of drying (except I airdry overnight) my hair by tying the front part of my wet hair (after applying leave-in, oil or serum) tightly with a satin scarf and rolling up part of the length using about 6 to 8 rollers. It's easier to sleep in and when my hair is dry, all I have to do is remove the rollers and scarf. My hair on top and sides are very smooth and very close to the scalp, almost like it was flat ironed. I don't comb it, I just fluff out my curls a little.

At night, if I'm going to wear my hair out the next day, I make about 8 pin curls and cover my hair again with the scarf. This is perfect when stretching out relaxers since it keeps the newgrowth manageable and smooth.for longer periods of time. :):up:

Excellent post!!

I am interested in self relaxing and doing it in sections make the most sense. How do you keep the hair yet to be relaxed dry while rinsing relaxer and then neutralizing the previously relaxed hair? Is it best to relax from the front back using this method because my hair is curlier in the back so the back needs to be relaxed first then the front last because it is like a 3c vs a 4b in the back center of my head

My small tweaks

1)If you rollerset, section your hair in the shower using the running water to help keep it detangled.

2) After applying leave ins cover hair with plastic cap and let soak in for a couple of minutes to help make it easier to detangle you hair if you are having more problems than normal

3) To get similar effects of a pre-poo in a fraction of the time, saturate your hair in oil just before washing. Concentrate suds only on the scalp.

4) When hair is extra dry, cowash with your favorite thick deep conditioner, you only have to use a little but it works wonders. I do this with pantene mask

5)If you rollerset, use the rollers with the snap on covers on sections that dry fast. Leave off the covers and use clips on the sections that take longer.

• Applying conditioner to dry hair then sitting under the dryer for 30 minutes (15 works pretty well too).
  • Doing how oil treatments AFTER shampooing (I call them oil rinses).
  • For a good Wash n Go, I just leave it alone until it's almost dry. It's really tempting to touch it.
dito that and the CG method I follow it to a T and rest in wng protective styles

I was wondering why the back of my hair looks especially anorexic, it has dawned on me that it is not getting enough moisture. When i moisturize i would gather hair like I was putting it in a pony so pretty much just the outer layer was reaping the benefits. Now I take the time to finger part and divide my hair in halves to make sure its all getting the benefit- the hair back there feels better already:yep:.

Big thanks to whoever recommended massaging the product into the hair. It has really made a difference!

Last edited:
For cornrowing or twisting (after wash) put your leave in and seal as usual, when you begin the braid mix mango butter and castor oil and apply on your fingers as you braid/ twist, it keeps you hair and ends lush!

I have got to try this.

thanks for the tip!!!!

Hey, girlie ... I just came back to this thread today, so I didn't even know you asked me a question.

Well, I got the idea about putting my moisturizer in the fridge from Candy_C. Cold water/moisturizer closes the cuticle and makes your hair feel smoother. At first I thought it would smooth the cuticle before the product could penetrate the strands, but apparently, that's not the case because it works great. My hair always feels so much better if I spray cold moisturizer on it.

Applying ACV directly to my scalp for 1 hour before I shampoo. I haven't had itching or dandruff in months. I still do a regular ACV rinse after washing & conditioning.

Covering my car's headrest with a satin bonnet. It finally occurred to me how much my hair rubs against the headrest when I drive. I bought a couple satin bonnets that match my car's interior and switch them every week. This has greatly reduced splits and breakage in my crown and nape.

That is a FANTASTIC idea!!! :yep::up: The back of my head is forever rubbing against the headrest even at it's most lowest setting. :ohwell:

Does anyone know if it makes a difference that the headrest in my vehicle is leather? :perplexed

for those of you DC on dry hair are you washing your hair normally and waiting for it to dry before doing your DC or are you DCing at another time?

for those of you DC on dry hair are you washing your hair normally and waiting for it to dry before doing your DC or are you DCing at another time?
You DC on your dry hair before washing. Then you wash and use a rinse-out conditioner. This also saves shower time.

Hmm...thinking...

Mizani. Switch to Mizani for deep conditioning. I could never get salon results at home, until I tried Mizani's products. Others came close, but not quite there.

Rollersetting upward instead on down. my head hurts less and my ends don't rub against my clothes.

Buying real silk caps. Check Publix or Walmart for the Goody's brand silk caps. They really hold in the moisture.

Using organic oils and products to help my hair. Noth much else works as good as the stuff in your kitchen or that you get out of the grocer.

Putting moisturizer on wet hair... not dry.

Tilting my head upside down so I can reach the underside with deep conditioner or moisturizer.

Last edited:
I don't baggy,because my head sweats at night. So, I moisturize with a cantu shea butter-castor oil-silk amino acid mixture, put on my shower cap and hop in the shower. The steam helps the mix to penetrate the hair. I pop on my bonnet and in the am, my hair feels like butta!

Cool thread!

I don't have many tweaks because i am still learning, but sealing my ends with Vaseline and using conditioner as a moisturizer (on my ponytail/bun) has done me good so far.

Thank all the ladies of LHCF?:yep:

Thanks Dayjo! How is this different from pre-pooing?
I don't think there is a difference except that you make sure you use a deep conditioner instead of a cheapie or oil that you would use for a pre-poo. You can also use heat.

Last edited:

I do this too! The difference is my head cover doesn't match with my car interior at all, so I can always spot my car! :grin:

My little tweak

I don't wash and then oil rinse. I mix my shampoo and oil together in a spray bottle and it leaves my hair feeling lovely.

Also, I wash my hair in braids because I detangle before I wash. This really made a difference in the time it takes me to wash.

Some of these aren't exactly tweaks but rather good ideas...

1. I learned this from someone else on the board a long time ago: When using a plastic cap while sitting under dryer, make sure your ears are inside the bag. For some reason, the heat stays in better.

2. While under the dryer, why not give yourself a mini mani? With all the time you've got under there, you can easily file, cut your cuticles and apply base, two color coats and a top coat and be dry before your hair is.

3. Moisturizing my edges whenever I moisturize/seal my ends. My edges arent as fuzzy lookin since I've started.

4. Cover my hair in my satin cap ANYTIME my head is in contact with a pillow/cushion.

Thats it for now.... Good Thread by the way.....

Here's my latest TWEAK:

I love turtle neck sweater during the Fall/Winter season! This morning I folded my collar down TWICE instead of once to make sure that my back edges stay protected!

I get the look and warmth without the potential damage from my sweater rubbing my hairline! :grin:

Last edited:
Oh, this thread is fantabulous :grin:

My tweaks:
  • Right before I jump in the shower, I apply lots of oil to the ends, and focus on shampooing the scalp not the hair
  • Left over habit from my Natural days: Sometimes when I rinse my regular conditioner out, I don't rinse it all the way out; I leave just enough in to leave a teeny bit of slip
  • Right before I apply deep conditioner, I cover the head/hair with a towel and lightly squeeze the water out with the towel around the head/hair
  • Then, starting at the nape (my trouble area) slather conditioner on in small sections, from the ends up. This alone has changed my hair tremendously :yep:
  • Always use lukewarm/slightly warm water (for shampooing and rinsing) and a slightly cool final rinse (my leave-in con. finishes closing up the cuticle)
  • Always apply any and all products from the ends (last 3 inches) up
  • When wrapping hair for bed, I use a paddle brush to smooth the back around, but a wide tooth comb to smooth the front sides (so it’s not laying down; this area has thinner hair), then take the boar bristle brush to smooth the very ends to the head only
  • ETA: In my rollerset, I roll the 1st 4 or so rollers down, and the rest, I roll up. For me it's the easiest and fastest way to get the rollers in and still get nice results.

Last edited:
After using an instant conditioner in the shower I put on a plastic cap until I'm done washing up, shaving,etc - The heat generated from the steam helps to makes my hair feel softer. This is not in place of my deep conditioner.

Back