small TWEAKS for big RESULTS

Applying ACV directly to my scalp for 1 hour before I shampoo. I haven't had itching or dandruff in months. I still do a regular ACV rinse after washing & conditioning.

Covering my car's headrest with a satin bonnet. It finally occurred to me how much my hair rubs against the headrest when I drive. I bought a couple satin bonnets that match my car's interior and switch them every week. This has greatly reduced splits and breakage in my crown and nape.

These are the little things that have really helped me:
  • aridrying in a scarf to get roots straight
  • not towel drying after washing to get hair as smooth as possible
  • using diluted shampoo
  • oil rinse after shampooing (thanks Sareca!)
  • deep conditioning on dry hair
  • protein conditioning after rinsing out relaxer
I love LHCF. :grin:

Re vitamins:
If taking large doses of water soluble (Biotin) divide doses through the day. So you your body can absorb better and wont just flush the excess. Same with MSM and Vit C.

Re oil rinse:
I heat the oil first and dip my ends in it. Let it sit and then go on from there. For some reason this helps them when I give them an early start on the process.

I spray mist my stocking cap with water to make it slightly damp when I go to sleep. The results are moisturized hair in morning.

When I moisturize with water I spray and wait before sealing with oil. If I wait till the water absorbs a little first, the hair is less fragile and less prone to breakage.

I use rain water. I like it even better than distilled.

-DC'ing on dry hair
-Adding Marine Collagen to moisturizer
-Using less product
-Special attention to left side (more damanged side)
-Alternate wrapping direction weekly
-Leaving my hair the freak alone :rolleyes:

Im gonna try sticking my moisturizer in the fridge when I get home. :yep:

Adding oils to my conditioners
Applying conditioner to dry hair
Overnight oil prepoos
Adding Silk Peptide Powder to conditioners
Adding oat and wheat proteins to conditioners
Adding oil and neutral protein filler to relaxer

:nicethread:

Hey Brownie!

Where do you buy all of your extras ingredients? How much of each?

I think we have a "mad" scientist in the house yall! :spinning: just kidding....

Applying ACV directly to my scalp for 1 hour before I shampoo. I haven't had itching or dandruff in months. I still do a regular ACV rinse after washing & conditioning.

Covering my car's headrest with a satin bonnet. It finally occurred to me how much my hair rubs against the headrest when I drive. I bought a couple satin bonnets that match my car's interior and switch them every week. This has greatly reduced splits and breakage in my crown and nape.

This is a great tip - I spend over 2 hours commuting!:yep:

• using diluted shampoo

Hey Priestess,

Do you let your hair drip dry or do you use something other than a towel?

Your hair is beautiful by the way! :yep:

Re vitamins:
If taking large doses of water soluble (Biotin) divide doses through the day. So you your body can absorb better and wont just flush the excess. Same with MSM and Vit C.

Re oil rinse:
I heat the oil first and dip my ends in it. Let it sit and then go on from there. For some reason this helps them when I give them an early start on the process.

I spray mist my stocking cap with water to make it slightly damp when I go to sleep. The results are moisturized hair in morning.

When I moisturize with water I spray and wait before sealing with oil. If I wait till the water absorbs a little first, the hair is less fragile and less prone to breakage.

I use rain water. I like it even better than distilled.

:grin: I will incorporate both of these tips in my regimen!

Thanks Daaiyah!

-DC'ing on dry hair
-Adding Marine Collagen to moisturizer
-Using less product
-Special attention to left side (more damanged side)
-Alternate wrapping direction weekly
-Leaving my hair the freak alone :rolleyes:

Im gonna try sticking my moisturizer in the fridge when I get home. :yep:

me too......I'm still reforming from the HIH disorder :nono: - I jut like to play in it and marvel at how thick it has become!

GREAT THREAD!!I love hearing your responses ladies!I'm still pretty new so i'm still soaking up info and this is going to be a great thread to come back to when i get out of these braids!!so helpful:yep:

Brilliant!!

Exactly Fluffylocks!

This is not a "how-to" thread but rather a "how-to-it- BETTER" thread!

All of these bolded tips I plan to try!:grin: I'm curious about storing the moisturizer in the fridge? What the reasoning or purpose behind this practice?

To keep your cuticles closed daily:yep:

I like using Distilled water for final cold water rinse when 8 weeks or more post relaxed.(what a difference it makes new growth feel)
Relaxing hairline ever other relaxer if you have problems with your hairline.

Switching to lye...I have a very sensitive scalp and I could never use lye relaxers(regular, fine, mizani, affirm, bantu, qp,NONE) until I found Mo Body by Vitale.....LIFE SAVER!!!!!

• using diluted shampoo

Oooo, anything that cuts down manipulation is a winner for me. :yep: I'm gonna try that next wash.

Hey Sareca!
Your beautiful hair is prove enough for me! :grin: I had already put oil rinses on my list of tweaks to try, after reading your huge thread!
Keep us posted on your great process....CD

Thanks CD! :)

I thought car covering the headrest too. It occured to me that this may be way my crown never totally gets right.

I thought car covering the headrest too. It occured to me that this may be way my crown never totally gets right.
I noticed a big improvement after one month of doing this. Once you cover that headrest and feel your hair slide across it unimpeded, you'll realize how much friction you were subjecting your crown to everyday.:yep:

Let's see....mine would be:
  1. daily oil rinses (thanks sareca)
  2. daily co-washing (keeps my dry hair super soft and moisturized)
  3. daily combing. :yep: I comb through once a day (gently) with a wide tooth comb while conditioner is in my hair. This is against the advice of many, especially with natural hair. But I find that if I don't, my sheds wreak havoc on my hair. I end up with major knots and matting. :perplexed
  4. avoiding putting anything on my scalp. (causes major itchies and shedding)
  5. avoiding shampoos (cause major dryness). This is the BIG one. I'm now using baking soda or ACV instead.

Oh and, moisturizing on damp, not wet hair. The moisturizer just sits on my hair when it's dripping wet. When it's just damp, it melts right in.

great tips!!!

everything i do is mentioned here with the exception of dcing on dry hair. i am going to try that.

one thing i do that's keeps my hair moisturized when in a weave:
  • surge 14plus and evoo...spray in my scalp and hair daily
Thanks ladies. y'all are the best!!

One question - why is it better for your moisturizers to be cold? :spinning: I'm confused by that tip.

Hey, girlie ... I just came back to this thread today, so I didn't even know you asked me a question.

Well, I got the idea about putting my moisturizer in the fridge from Candy_C. Cold water/moisturizer closes the cuticle and makes your hair feel smoother. At first I thought it would smooth the cuticle before the product could penetrate the strands, but apparently, that's not the case because it works great. My hair always feels so much better if I spray cold moisturizer on it.

YAY! I've been thinking about how to word a thread like this....basically little tricks that have made a huge difference to your hair, that many people dont know about-Right?

Here are some small tweaks i've made during my journey that made a big deal of difference to my hair (but im sure everyone already knows these)

-Conditioning on dry hair, adding a hot towel seems to make my hair very soft as well
-Rinsing my hair with oil during the washing process
-At the end of my wash, rinsing my hair in cold cold cold water plus lemon juice, it really makes my hair feel much smoother & silkier

And a small tweak that has worked for me personally

-Shampooing with cream of nature shampoo AFTER i condition, because no other conditoner detangles my hair

Small tweaks that i got from CandyC and are about to start
-Refredergate moisturizer
-Take vitamins w/warm water to help it absorb better

This sounds like a cream rinse...never thought of using it like that but it makes sense :yep: I'm gonna have to try this

4. Thoroughly wetting my hair and adding conditioner to the ends before I shampoo. There's less friction when I shampoo and the ends get less tangly.

I tried this and it really worked. :yep:

My hair felt nice and soft, but my scalp was itchy with buildup after many co-washes.

I first spritzed my hair with lots of water, put conditioner on the length of the hair, used a squirt bottle to put the clarifying shampoo on my scalp, and then worked up a good lather before rinsing it all out.

I left the clarifying conditioner on for about 30 minutes, rinsed well, and sealed with oil. My hair feels good!

Thank You!!! :grin:

Let's see....mine would be:
  1. daily oil rinses (thanks sareca)
  2. daily co-washing (keeps my dry hair super soft and moisturized)
  3. daily combing. :yep: I comb through once a day (gently) with a wide tooth comb while conditioner is in my hair. This is against the advice of many, especially with natural hair. But I find that if I don't, my sheds wreak havoc on my hair. I end up with major knots and matting. :perplexed
  4. avoiding putting anything on my scalp. (causes major itchies and shedding)
  5. avoiding shampoos (cause major dryness). This is the BIG one. I'm now using baking soda or ACV instead.

Congrats on your big chop :yay:

This was just something I learned and tried and loved the results:

While in the shower start off

1. Wet hair with with cold water
2. apply shampoo to lather (for cleaning of hair and scalp)
3. rinse with cold water making sure poo is all out
4. now make the water warm
5. wet hair under the warm water
6. apply conditioner let sit for 5 minutes
7. rinse out with cold water
8. apply oil for an oil rinse
9. rinse with cold water

Results - No tangles for my texalaxed hair. Got great shine. Very Moisturized and No drying feeling after the shampoo like before. Hair was very soft as well. I was able to easily slide a comb thru with ease.

My tweaks that brought me big results are:
  • deep conditioning with heat...I don't think I ever DCed before I found this board.
  • less manipulation
  • finding products that were suitable for my hair.
  • co-washing :yep: I love it!

This is a helpful thread!

My tweaks that helped me ..hummm let me think:

1. Doing all my washes & rinses with Cold Water
2. Finding a method and products to use which help me to air dry instead of blow drying (frying my hair) after each wash
3. Learning how to keep my ends moisturized
4. Keeping things simple is best for my hair. I used to load my hair up with products and now I know that all of that isn't needed. Whatever I put on my hair I only use about a nickel sized amount.
5. Faithfully Baggy every single night!

Ohhh one more thing, I have been using banana clips instead of scruchies. I used to see small pieces of hair around them when i took my hair down from a bun (even a loose scrunchie) so, i've been doing banana clips since August. Its working well for me!

Last edited:
Back