SL 2014

I would like to keep my natural hair straightened for a while for better retention. I've been trying roller sets of various types like curlformers, magnetics, etc, but I seem to only be getting semi straight lately. Not even taking straight and the reversion is bad without heat. Ugh! What to do...?

With your curlformers you may want to try smaller sections. What are you applying for the set? And are you air drying or under the dryer?

[USER=375439 said:
hnntrr[/USER];19330307]Eek. May have hit a setback. Had a protein overload (first time in natural hair), now I know not to use 4 naturals Reconstructor, whatever protein it has overloaded my hair. It was soo matted and tangly last night it took me 20+ minutes to detangles with a crap ton of contritioner. Even finger combing wasn't working so I had to break out the modified denman. Had lots of breakage. Erg. Hopefully this won't push me back too much. And I will still be on track to stretched SL by June.

Excuse the typos: on iphone

How long did you leave it on? I love the reconstructor. I leave it on only for 5 to 8 minutes though. Was it you that did a protein treatment two weeks ago?

I am going to wear my hair out for most of December to see if I can increase my moisture levels and improve my ends. So I will moisturize my hair nightly. Hopefully, I can figure out the right products. Because right now my hair just feels sticky :nono:

Twisting my hair up nightly though is a pain.

With your curlformers you may want to try smaller sections. What are you applying for the set? And are you air drying or under the dryer?

I have used Mizani setting lotion diluted. It doesn't need to be though. I will try more concentrated. Last time I used it full strength it caused breakage. For heat I used a my ceramic blow dryer since I don't have a hooded one, with the diffuser on medium to low heat. Zero reversion control, though.

I also used mixed chicks straightening serum which works fabulous for reversion control, I get about 4 days in rain but it doesn't smooth the strand much unless it's been flat ironed.

More experimentation is in order. Might try mixing the mixed chicks with a butter I know smooths.

Doesn't sound like a setback hnntrr. Just a bump in the road. Be sure to trim asap so those broke ends don't split and snag their neighbors. Because THAT will be a setback. Maybe do a DC twice this week. Moisture only.

Also, read the label on that product to see specifically what protein that is to avoid in the future.

DarkJoy: I checked the ingredients and everything is in super scientific speak so I don't know what kind of protein is in it. I bought some sheers so Inplan on trimming my hair Saturday night when I have the time to sit and trim.

faithVA: I did moisture two weeks ago because I put braids in, but I had been alternating protein and mositure with Nubian heritage and my moisturizing conditioner. And I always do protein after braids because my hair was feeling less than elastic.

So I left it in for maybe 5 minutes but it did a number. It hair was so snagged and tangled.

My curlformers should be here today! Yay can't wait even though I'm not using them until probably close to Christmas on my youngest daughter.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

DarkJoy: I checked the ingredients and everything is in super scientific speak so I don't know what kind of protein is in it. I bought some sheers so Inplan on trimming my hair Saturday night when I have the time to sit and trim.

faithVA: I did moisture two weeks ago because I put braids in, but I had been alternating protein and mositure with Nubian heritage and my moisturizing conditioner. And I always do protein after braids because my hair was feeling less than elastic.

So I left it in for maybe 5 minutes but it did a number. It hair was so snagged and tangled.

hnntrr can you find a pic of the label online and post it here or name the product? We got wise women here who will know and pinpoint it for you so it doesn't happen again. Just trying to help.

Eek. May have hit a setback. Had a protein overload (first time in natural hair), now I know not to use 4 naturals Reconstructor, whatever protein it has overloaded my hair. It was soo matted and tangly last night it took me 20+ minutes to detangles with a crap ton of contritioner. Even finger combing wasn't working so I had to break out the modified denman. Had lots of breakage. Erg. Hopefully this won't push me back too much. And I will still be on track to stretched SL by June.

Excuse the typos: on iphone

Up Your moisture and lay off the protein until your hair is balanced. Not sure what protein is in there either...did you only use it once? Did you dc with moisture after?

HPG

Last edited:

I won't rule out the reconstructor but I'm not sure that it's a bad product. I have been using it monthly for the past 6 months and I find it to be quite gentle. But yeah lay off the protein until you get it balanced and maybe go back to what you usually use after braids.

DarkJoy or anyone else
Does the MC serum have to be used with heat to be effective or does it work if I pull my hair into a ponytail or rollerset to stretch the roots?
TIA!

I have used Mizani setting lotion diluted. It doesn't need to be though. I will try more concentrated. Last time I used it full strength it caused breakage. For heat I used a my ceramic blow dryer since I don't have a hooded one, with the diffuser on medium to low heat. Zero reversion control, though.

I also used mixed chicks straightening serum which works fabulous for reversion control, I get about 4 days in rain but it doesn't smooth the strand much unless it's been flat ironed.

More experimentation is in order. Might try mixing the mixed chicks with a butter I know smooths.

DarkJoy or anyone else
Does the MC serum have to be used with heat to be effective or does it work if I pull my hair into a ponytail or rollerset to stretch the roots?
TIA!

So far, the best reversion control is with heat with MC. Stretched gave a blow out look, which for me, is straighter than without the MC. Will give it one more go before a verdict.

hnntrr can you find a pic of the label online and post it here or name the product? We got wise women here who will know and pinpoint it for you so it doesn't happen again. Just trying to help.

DarkJoy: I will try to upload it tonight.
HairPleezeGrow: I did DC with moisture after, but I sprayed my hair with the Jane Carter Hydrating Mist after as a leave in because I couldn't find my other leave in so probably doubling those up set me back.
faithVA: i dont think 4 naturals is bad either, I use it about once a month as well before I switched to nubian heritage which I think my hair likes a little bit better (I think it may be a mix of my hair likes the protein in the nubian heritage better and or/ i eat a really heavy protein and iron diet). I can use the nubian heritage twice in a week with no protein overload and my hair feels good.

DarkJoy: I will try to upload it tonight.
HairPleezeGrow: I did DC with moisture after, but I sprayed my hair with the Jane Carter Hydrating Mist after as a leave in because I couldn't find my other leave in so probably doubling those up set me back.
faithVA: i dont think 4 naturals is bad either, I use it about once a month as well before I switched to nubian heritage which I think my hair likes a little bit better (I think it may be a mix of my hair likes the protein in the nubian heritage better and or/ i eat a really heavy protein and iron diet). I can use the nubian heritage twice in a week with no protein overload and my hair feels good.

But nubian heritage is a mild protein and 4 naturals is a keratin reconstructor, correct? I wouldn't put them in the same category. I

But nubian heritage is a mild protein and 4 naturals is a keratin reconstructor, correct? I wouldn't put them in the same category. I
AHHHH Maybe that is the deal. Hm. That may be why I overloaded then, I did too hard of a protein and paired it with another protein. Even then, I can only leave the 4 naturals on my hair for about 5 minutes before it overloads it. I wonder if my hair doesnt like keratin? I used to use Redkin Keratin treatment conditioner and that was too much for my hair too. I wonder if switching to whey or silk will do the trick?

AHHHH Maybe that is the deal. Hm. That may be why I overloaded then, I did too hard of a protein and paired it with another protein. Even then, I can only leave the 4 naturals on my hair for about 5 minutes before it overloads it. I wonder if my hair doesnt like keratin? I used to use Redkin Keratin treatment conditioner and that was too much for my hair too. I wonder if switching to whey or silk will do the trick?

5 minutes is long enough. It calls for a max of 10. I don't leave it on that long. Your hair is probably fine with keratin but you are probably using it too often. If you aren't using heat regularly or coloring your hair there probably isn't a reason for you to use a reconstructor more than once a quarter, if that often. You should probably just use a mild protein unless you really feel your hair needs a harder protein.

5 minutes is long enough. It calls for a max of 10. I don't leave it on that long. Your hair is probably fine with keratin but you are probably using it too often. If you aren't using heat regularly or coloring your hair there probably isn't a reason for you to use a reconstructor more than once a quarter, if that often. You should probably just use a mild protein unless you really feel your hair needs a harder protein.

Ah yeah, that could be it. I hadn't used it in awhile I just used it since I did a heavy moisture DC before I put the braids in.
I do have the top portion of my head colored but it was alright and that was the part that tangled up the most.

I will keep with that then, awesome. Thank you!

Last edited:
Eh I just installed a sew in today and I'm ready for it to come out lol. I just miss my hair already plus I have a headache.

HPG

I am trying to see how my hair acts if I moisturize it every day. I had flat twisted half my head before I realized I hadn't moisturized it. So took it down, spritzed with diluted leave-in and twisted it back up. I oiled my scalp with diluted NJoy's Growth Oil. I am baggying now. I will probably water rinse and DC tomorrow and do my regular wash day on Sunday.

Purchased another set of long curlformers. Now I can set my hair on Sunday.

I would like to try weave as a style change up but

1. My scalp doesn't like cornrows
2. Hair is expensive
3. Finding a weaver whose skills are to my liking, a style that I like, and a style that will blend my hair nicely is hard

Because of this I am back in braids. I can only do the fro life for 2 days max lol sometimes 1 week.

Salud To a new year and happy hair growing

OK faithVA, so you were right. I went ahead and curlformed with smaller pieces. I also experimented and used the mixed chicks serum for reversion control then topped that with grease on the ends to lay the hair flat.

It worked! :) The serum also controlled the reversion as it was raining prety hard yesterday and my short hair didnt care :lol:

I didn't like the texture the grease made, plus I put too much on. I will try another heavy sealer--maybe lanolin tomorrow to better smooth.

Also, I didnt exactly like the style the curlformers gave with the spirals that wont go away. Will have to find larger magnetic rollers since all i really want is body to straightened hair, not curls right now. Just trying to switch it up. However, this is a new style to my repertoire that looks good.

[USER=343979 said:
DarkJoy[/USER];19340683]OK faithVA, so you were right. I went ahead and curlformed with smaller pieces. I also experimented and used the mixed chicks serum for reversion control then topped that with grease on the ends to lay the hair flat.

It worked! :) The serum also controlled the reversion as it was raining prety hard yesterday and my short hair didnt care :lol:

I didn't like the texture the grease made, plus I put too much on. I will try another heavy sealer--maybe lanolin tomorrow to better smooth.

Also, I didnt exactly like the style the curlformers gave with the spirals that wont go away. Will have to find larger magnetic rollers since all i really want is body to straightened hair, not curls right now. Just trying to switch it up. However, this is a new style to my repertoire that looks good.

If you don't use really heavy products with the curlformers you can soften the curls. Use a leave-in and something with a light hold to get it straight. Then you can do really large bantu knots, or reset on really large rollers or wrap it to loosen the curl. You may just be setting it to hard.

I can literally just comb the curls out and wrap my hair around my head when I take them out and the curls are gone. My hair is pretty heavy though.

Going to play around with some leave-ins today. Shampooed with a Hairveda rinse and not doing a quick DC with Loreal Moisture Rush. I am going to separate my hair into 8 sections and apply a different leave-in or moisturizer to each section and flat twist. Want to see how each one feels alone when wet and when dry.

Tomorrow I will do my regular shampoo, DC and style.

If you don't use really heavy products with the curlformers you can soften the curls. Use a leave-in and something with a light hold to get it straight. Then you can do really large bantu knots, or reset on really large rollers or wrap it to loosen the curl. You may just be setting it to hard.

I can literally just comb the curls out and wrap my hair around my head when I take them out and the curls are gone. My hair is pretty heavy though.
I might have set it too hard, which is a first. Usually curls fall FLAT in like 5 mins which is what I expected this time but no dice. My hair is fine and whispy and sets have usually been a waste of time until recently. The new reggi must be doing something right then. Maybe fattening up the strands? :)

Are your sets generally coming out to your liking?

[USER=343979 said:
DarkJoy[/USER];19342805]I might have set it too hard, which is a first. Usually curls fall FLAT in like 5 mins which is what I expected this time but no dice. My hair is fine and whispy and sets have usually been a waste of time until recently. The new reggi must be doing something right then. Maybe fattening up the strands? :)

Are your sets generally coming out to your liking?

My last curlformer set on Sunday was beautiful. But my ends were HORRIBLE. So I couldn't wear my curls. So I used the splitender and put in bantu knots. I've been doing a S&D all week to try to get rid of these excessive splits I have. I want to do another set tomorrow and maybe put them on satin rollers before I go to bed.

My ends are really bad. I will suck it up and trim 1/2 in tmrw. So I will no longer be SL or as close to it as I was but health over length. But I'm hoping with inversion and MN I will be back there in no time.

Had an excellent wash day tho and put my hair in plaits to trim and wigging it for the week.

faithVA Babygrowth I have been having bad splits too. I think its inevitable with fine hair. The last two times I used my split ender, it didn't take off too much length but MAN it was a LOT of splits. I see I have to use more protein now and when I take my braids out. My ends looked really good before I started braiding. I have to just keep monitoring them as I go along.

image-1813264233.jpg

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Last edited:
faithVA Babygrowth I have been having bad splits too. I think its inevitable with fine hair. The last two times I used my split ender, it didn't take off too much length but MAN it was a LOT of splits. I see I have to use more protein now and when I take my braids out. My ends looked really good before I started braiding. I have to just keep monitoring them as I go along.

View attachment 236329

I LOVE this HHJ!!
That does look like a lot but your ends should feel good now.

View attachment 236329

I LOVE this HHJ!!

I did a curlformer set and trimmed my ends when I finished. i took off 1/4 to 1/2" in most parts. I had to take off an inch in some spots in the back. Hopefully I got most of the damage.

I will be finger detangling and doing more S&Ds in 2014. I really need to improve my retention. I think I only retained 2" this year and at this length that just isn't enough.

Gonna flat iron my hair today. And trim my ends a bit. I really need to trim. Hair has been tangling on itself.

Back