SL 2013 Challenge!!~~~

[USER=77 said:
auntybe[/USER];19139967]I am trying this on Saturday.

We got clarification from BraunSugar. She is using a gel like Fruit of the Earth for her AVG. If you are using a food grade AVG it won't work in this recipe. Just wanted to let you know before you get started.

i tried. i'm getting a relaxer next week. too many broken hairs and after all the progress i made thus far I don't want any setbacks. i'll be relaxing at 10 weeks. that's not horrible right?

i tried. i'm getting a relaxer next week. too many broken hairs and after all the progress i made thus far I don't want any setbacks. i'll be relaxing at 10 weeks. that's not horrible right?

No not horrible. Only you know what your hair can handle and if it's not tolerating a longer stretch then do what you have to to prevent a setback.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

HairPleezeGrow, it's hard for me because i'm terrified of crappy salon stylists now. :( They either over process or never relax how I like or badger me with "DO YOU WANT FLATIRON??" Like it's less about me and more about them having fun with my hair.

I want to do it myself but I'm terrified I'll screw it up.

I think if you just have AVG, it would be better to add the butter for your mix. The ratios are off now and it would require too much to really fix it.

I know understand why when I looked at other recipes they were different. the other recipes I saw called for 1 cup crisco, 1/4 cup of AVG, 1 T butter and 3 T oil. That will probably blend much better.

It is probably easier to start over than to spend too much time with the previous mix. If you have the Fruit of the Earth Gel or any other gel you can mix that.

I may try mixing a gel and the crisco at a later point.

Oh I see. That is my own fault because I thought that the 100% was referring to the amount of aloe vera in the gel. Like I thought it was pure. I should have paid more attention to that.

I tried a crisco mix before with the 1 cup of crisco and 1/4 cup of avg and I felt like my hair was very greasy. Again, it wasn't the food grade avg but the mix was very heavy on my hair and weighed it down.

I just looked at the ingredients. SMH.

fruit+of+the+earth+aloe+vera+gel+review+2.jpg

Shaking my head because of the way it is worded on the label. It says 100% gel and then under that it says pure.

IMG_0556.JPG

Now I like FOTE and I will keep using it, but surely they must know that this could lead people to believe it's one thing when it is something else.

Oh I see. That is my own fault because I thought that the 100% was referring to the amount of aloe vera in the gel. Like I thought it was pure. I should have paid more attention to that.

I tried a crisco mix before with the 1 cup of crisco and 1/4 cup of avg and I felt like my hair was very greasy. Again, it wasn't the food grade avg but the mix was very heavy on my hair and weighed it down.

It wasn't your lack of attention. That bottle label is a trick :lol: Big ol Aloe Vera label sitting there.

The other recipe may be greasy. So far I am working on 50/50 to see how that goes. It may need a bit of butter to make it solid.

faithVA said:
I think if you just have AVG, it would be better to add the butter for your mix. The ratios are off now and it would require too much to really fix it.

I know understand why when I looked at other recipes they were different. the other recipes I saw called for 1 cup crisco, 1/4 cup of AVG, 1 T butter and 3 T oil. That will probably blend much better.

It is probably easier to start over than to spend too much time with the previous mix. If you have the Fruit of the Earth Gel or any other gel you can mix that.

I may try mixing a gel and the crisco at a later point.

I added a tablespoon of the shortening and it didn't work but the I added 1 tablespoon of the mango butter and it is creamy and fluffy.

I can't say if it is greasy or not because I used it with something else and sealed with jbco.

I see no flakes. I will use it again this weekend and report back.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

I added a tablespoon of the shortening and it didn't work but the I added 1 tablespoon of the mango butter and it is creamy and fluffy.

I can't say if it is greasy or not because I used it with something else and sealed with jbco.

I see no flakes. I will use it again this weekend and report back.

Yeah the butter is much heavier than the crisco, so it can bind better.

I added 2 tbsp of crisco and am letting it sit. I may need 1 or 2 more, but I think it is better. I can use it as it is now but the ooziest of it makes me nauseous :lol:

^^^^ I used the original recipe posted I just added the extra crisco and mango butter.

I'm excited I just took down all my braids and my hair is looking shiny and good. I can almost fit it in a ponytail! Lawd that would be a first.
Now to figure out where the heck I should get my hair done tomorrow that won't leave me dreading my decision.

I also can't figure out a style because I love volume and I'm not very good with upkeep

Old school black beauty shop?
Beauty college for cost effectiveness?
Possibly a natural hair salon eh distance and cost though..

Ummmm no str8ening for me...kind of changed my mind. So my hair is twisted back up.

HPG

Lol I still know that I need my ends trimmed because my diy are not cutting it. And bad ends were my undoing my 1st natural go around

Lol I still know that I need my ends trimmed because my diy are not cutting it. And bad ends were my undoing my 1st natural go around

Girl I just got lazy plus I remembered my hair never comes out fly when I str8en so waist of time right now. Maybe when it reaches longer lengths.

HPG

Girl I just got lazy plus I remembered my hair never comes out fly when I str8en so waist of time right now. Maybe when it reaches longer lengths.

HPG

Me neither, but I think I'm beginning to figure things out. Even though it didn't get full straight last time it was silky and moveable which I've NEVER had before in all my jacked up past attempts :lol:. Even the very tight crunchy 4z bits of my hair came out soft. Think its the DC like a relaxer method and low product after drying that helped.:yep:

I will try it one more time at Xmas after I buy a tourmaline hair dryer. I'd like an end of challenge straight pic, but doubt I'll do it again until the end of next year.

Me neither, but I think I'm beginning to figure things out. Even though it didn't get full straight last time it was silky and moveable which I've NEVER had before in all my jacked up past attempts :lol:. Even the very tight crunchy 4z bits of my hair came out soft. Think its the DC like a relaxer method and low product after drying that helped.:yep:

I will try it one more time at Xmas after I buy a tourmaline hair dryer. I'd like an end of challenge straight pic, but doubt I'll do it again until the end of next year.

Yeah that's when I will probably str8en if I do is for end of year pic/beggining of year challenges. Wish me luck when the time comes....what kind of dryer is that you speak of?

HPG

Yeah that's when I will probably str8en if I do is for end of year pic/beggining of year challenges. Wish me luck when the time comes....what kind of dryer is that you speak of?

HPG

I need some luck for myself also lol! The day I get nice, pretty flat ironed hair I will be dancing and flipping my hair all around :lol:

Well I found out that the new tourmaline dryers are different from regular ones. Basically it seems to leave the hair silky rather than dried out and also dries it faster. I'm sure there's a technological explanation, but that's the bit thats important to me:look: Did you see this thread?

I don't use a hairdryer at all because it used to make my hair crunchy so I'll try one of these to see the difference.

Also I'm getting a straightening comb. I usually do the comb chase method but its fiddly and annoying with a regular comb.

[USER=324511 said:
HanaKuroi[/USER];19142331]^^^^ I used the original recipe posted I just added the extra crisco and mango butter.

So far I have found that the mix is better whipped when very warm. I tried to whip it before I heated it and it just curdled again :nono: So I nuked it and let it cool a bit then I whipped it. I added an additional 2 T of crisco. This morning it was nice and solid. I put some on my arms and forearms and it felt good and wasn't greasy. I will try it on my hair this weekend. Even with 1/2 a batch I ended up with 1 cup of whip which will last me forever.

Since I hacked this I don't have a real recipe. But next time I will let the AVG get room temperature and then whip it. I will slightly heat 1/4 cup of crisco and then try whipping in 1 T of AVG at a time. Unfortunately it may be months before I need a new batch. :ohwell:

I need some luck for myself also lol! The day I get nice, pretty flat ironed hair I will be dancing and flipping my hair all around :lol:

Well I found out that the new tourmaline dryers are different from regular ones. Basically it seems to leave the hair silky rather than dried out and also dries it faster. I'm sure there's a technological explanation, but that's the bit thats important to me:look: Did you see this thread?

I don't use a hairdryer at all because it used to make my hair crunchy so I'll try one of these to see the difference.

Also I'm getting a straightening comb. I usually do the comb chase method but its fiddly and annoying with a regular comb.

I'm going to look into those blow dryers. Maybe someone will have a BF sale that sales them. I have one of those combs but I kind of wish the teeth were a tad bit smaller (closer together).

HPG

My hair has been doing very well and I think most of it has to do with dropping oil from my regimen :perplexed: I twisted my hair up on Sunday and have been spritzing and baggying nightly. It is now the end of the week and my hair still looks neat. Usually by Wednesday, my hair is a fuzzy, frizzy mess. By Thursday, I am just embarrassed. On Friday, I usually do a twist out to spare myself further embarrassment. My hair looks like I could get a 2nd week out of it. I am so surprised.

If I can get my moisture levels up I may be able to keep my flat twist in for 2 weeks.

Last edited:
been a minute but here I am. :) prepoo'd this morning with warmed hair trigger to the scalp thanks mshoneyfly and kera vada's green tea oil on the hair. cowashed with tresseme naturals aloe vera and avocado condish. Sitting with oscar blandi's marine mud ( my untimate spa product guilty pleasure) as a dc for 20 mins w/ heat. Will wash that out and final rinse w/ my tea brew of nettle, horestail, fenugreek, and rose hips.

Bought some shea moisture products CVS had a bogo free on this brand. I purchased 3 yucca & aloe thickening milks, 3 coconut & hibiscus curl milk, and 2 anti breakage mask.

HPG

^^I hit CVS as well. I bought 2 of the Reconstructive Conditioners. I am going to try it as a leave-in this weekend. But I purchased it for a cowash conditioner. I won't be cowashing for a while though. It would be great if it worked as a leave-in and a cowash conditioner :yep:

^^I hit CVS as well. I bought 2 of the Reconstructive Conditioners. I am going to try it as a leave-in this weekend. But I purchased it for a cowash conditioner. I won't be cowashing for a while though. It would be great if it worked as a leave-in and a cowash conditioner :yep:

You probably can use it as a LI once per week since it's a reconstructor I wouldn't apply to LI more than that. I'm sure it will work gr8 as a cowash con. Lmk how it works out either way. Girl I'm telling you I was using Bee Mine Beeutiful as a LI (didn't read the label that it was a dc) lol don't ask...anyway I was using it on my girls and myself and our hair was so amazingly soft it wasn't even funny. Then one day I read some where one here it was a dc and was like"uh-uh which one they got bc mine is a LI" yeah right.

HPG

You probably can use it as a LI once per week since it's a reconstructor I wouldn't apply to LI more than that. I'm sure it will work gr8 as a cowash con. Lmk how it works out either way. Girl I'm telling you I was using Bee Mine Beeutiful as a LI (didn't read the label that it was a dc) lol don't ask...anyway I was using it on my girls and myself and our hair was so amazingly soft it wasn't even funny. Then one day I read some where one here it was a dc and was like"uh-uh which one they got bc mine is a LI" yeah right.

HPG

Girl, don't mind me. I used the wrong word. It's restorative not reconstructive :nono: I knew that sounded wrong :lol:

Nothing wrong with using a DC as a leave-in if the ingredients are natural.

Vent: seems like I can't escape split ends. I'm really anoyed got a trim. Had to get a press to get a trim ugh it reverts back instantly. So my goal is to save up for some high quality sheers and continue to just do braids and do my hair myself. Hate that flatironed/pressed smell.

Decided not to go to the salon again. I always end up regretting it. I may just pay the high price and distance and just go to natural salons

Last edited:
Vent: seems like I can't escape split ends. I'm really anoyed got a trim. Had to get a press to get a trim ugh it reverts back instantly. So my goal is to save up for some high quality sheers and continue to just do braids and do my hair myself. Hate that flatironed/pressed smell.

Decided not to go to the salon again. I always end up regretting it. I may just pay the high price and distance and just go to natural salons

Have you thought about investing in the split ender? And doing your own trims? Look it up and see if it's something you are interested in that may help you.

HPG

Have you thought about investing in the split ender? And doing your own trims? Look it up and see if it's something you are interested in that may help you.

HPG

After reading some reviews I see that you have to use it on straightened hair -_- thanks for the suggestion though

After reading some reviews I see that you have to use it on straightened hair -_- thanks for the suggestion though

No it doesn't have to be flat ironed. It can be blow dried or stretched since you are using small pieces of hair at a time.

HPG

Back