::SIGH:: It must be throwing in the towel week....

alibi

hair bored
I've about had it with transitioning this week!!!
mad.gif
I've read so many threads about "caving in" "giving up" and "throwing in the towel," that it must just be the week for me to give up!!! I am officially 6 1/2 months post relaxer, and although I've been doing well, I miss my bone straight hair!!! It gets smooth when I flat iron it (see me album), but now that I have more new growth, it's not staying smooth as long. But I'm not nearly to the point where I can wear it wet and wavy b/c the ends are too straight for that!!! Oh, how I am DREADING the Miami summer, b/c I know that heat is gonna have me looking like a straight poofball!!!
beach.gif

Any words of encouragment from transitioners that have been there, done that? With all this texturizing talk, I'm considering running a relaxer through my hair for a few minutes...:::SIGH::: Does anyone feel my pain?
wallbash.gif

Ayana - your hair is gorgeous. Sorry i have no words of encouragement other than 'hang in there' but i do have a question for ya
grin.gif
How do you get your new growth so straight?
shocked.gif

Ayanna, I am not transitioning ( I am far too lazy for that) but don't give in. You've come sooo far and you'll regret not sticking with it. As far as the texturizer thing....you may not want to put chemicals in your hair until you completely grow it out...you don't want to have that overlap. Just hold out and keep the bun going, do braid outs, shoot get braids....Just keep going. I transitioned for about 4 months and I got sick and permed it. I know for me, I'd probably have to transition with braids, because I couldn't stand looking at those two textures.

Yeah I know exactly what your going through, were you transitioning to go natural or just transitioning for a period. I transitioned for 4 months before i did the big chop. I would have transtioned way longer but I knew I would have caved in so thats why i went ahead and chopped it off. Im not recommending that you chop but this is what I did before i got tempted to relax it again.

I have been transitioning for about 4 months now myself and am about to throw in the towel. I was actually going to get it relaxed today, but I was too lazy to put some clothes on
laugh.gif
So, I just washed it myself and put the relaxer on the back burner for now. I live in Alabama and dread the heat and humidity that is sure to come and the effect that it will have on my hair.
crazy.gif

I was transitioning for 9 months....i went through the same thing you did....but i caved in, i missed my silky straight hair..but you do whats best for you......good luck

Transitioned for 7 months...2 strand twist/bantu knot out saved me. If you are really wanting the new growth (which is stunning by the way) to stay straight...then you are in for a battle...Are braids are an option for you? How long does your new growth stay flat once you flat iron it? Honestly...it appeared that you could do a rollerset on huge rollers to stretch the new growth out straight if you are determined to wear it straight...you would not be putting a lot of heat on it. Once you take down the rollers...wrap your hair to sleep on it to stay smooth and that set should last until your next washing.

Final question: If you are transitioning toward natural hair...how will you wear your natural hair on a day to day basis? Will you let it be free or will you attempt to wear it in a straight style?

I'm at 10 months transitioning and I guess I never looked back. I knew I couldn't relax again...

Have you been doing braidouts? I find this makes all of my hair look the same texture-wise. Yes, it takes works but when I find a routine, I stick to it and it makes things so much easier.

Just keep with it and I think you'll be rewarded.
smile.gif

Don't do it. We have all had our hard times especially when the two textures are fighting with each other. My only suggestion for making your press stay longer is to wrap it nightly, and avoid putting a lot of products on it.

I would HIGHLY suggest using Carolyn Gray's Healthier Hair in a Bottle (HHIAB) to help you keep you new growth straight. I used this to press my daughter's hair with a flat iron and it's now week two. Her hair still looks like I just pressed it. I'm totally blown away (BTW, I'm washing it tomorrow
grin.gif
). Each day, I use CDHHD and Hair Milk to keep it shiny and looky good. Good luck whatever you decide
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
How do you get your new growth so straight?
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I put a little Kemi Oyl on it and flat iron from root to tip with my ceramic flat iron. It actually comes out as straight as it did when it was permed! It used to stay straight for about a week, but now that there's more new growth, it's only staying straight for 2-3 days.
ohwell.gif
Multiply that with a Miami summer, and I'm haeded for trouble!
nono.gif

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
If you are really wanting the new growth (which is stunning by the way) to stay straight...then you are in for a battle...Are braids are an option for you? How long does your new growth stay flat once you flat iron it? Honestly...it appeared that you could do a rollerset on huge rollers to stretch the new growth out straight if you are determined to wear it straight...you would not be putting a lot of heat on it. Once you take down the rollers...wrap your hair to sleep on it to stay smooth and that set should last until your next washing.

Final question: If you are transitioning toward natural hair...how will you wear your natural hair on a day to day basis? Will you let it be free or will you attempt to wear it in a straight style?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the complement on my new growth Pookeylou! Braids aren't an option for me - I don't care for them. And I can't do roller sets myself b/c they never come out right. I may have to start going back to my Dominican lady again though. When my hair is completely natural, I will probably wear it more curly than straight - at least that's what I'm going for. Andre has a beautiful picture in his book of a woman with gorgeous 4a hair grown out nice and springy, and I want to wear my hair like that! But I gotta get over this hump soon, or that jar of relaxer that I still have sitting under my sink is gonna somehow find its way onto my head, stretch through the new growth, and have my hair looking silky straight!
wasntme.gif

How about just cutting of the damaged relaxrd hair, admitting what relaxers actually are, and celebrating your natural texture you were born with...just a thought

[ QUOTE ]
YOTEGRA said:
Your hair is beautiful ayanapooh. Hang in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Yotegra! I'm trying to hang in there!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
swayback23 said:
How about just cutting of the damaged relaxrd hair, admitting what relaxers actually are, and celebrating your natural texture you were born with...just a thought

[/ QUOTE ]

Swayback, thanks for the suggestion, I've considered chopping my hair but I don't want to lose my length! And what are relaxers, in your opinion?
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
Where do you buy Carolyn Gray's Healthier Hair in a Bottle, and what is it???
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You can find info about HHIAB and how to order at this website.

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
Where do you buy Carolyn Gray's Healthier Hair in a Bottle, and what is it???
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You can find info about HHIAB and how to order at this website.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Nonie
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
I've about had it with transitioning this week!!!
mad.gif
I've read so many threads about "caving in" "giving up" and "throwing in the towel," that it must just be the week for me to give up!!! I am officially 6 1/2 months post relaxer, and although I've been doing well, I miss my bone straight hair!!! It gets smooth when I flat iron it (see me album), but now that I have more new growth, it's not staying smooth as long. But I'm not nearly to the point where I can wear it wet and wavy b/c the ends are too straight for that!!! Oh, how I am DREADING the Miami summer, b/c I know that heat is gonna have me looking like a straight poofball!!!
beach.gif

Any words of encouragment from transitioners that have been there, done that? With all this texturizing talk, I'm considering running a relaxer through my hair for a few minutes...:::SIGH::: Does anyone feel my pain?
wallbash.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't had a touch up in over 6 months either
cool.gif
; my hair is texturized. My new growth isn't as smooth as yours either
blush.gif

But as for you, 6 months is a long time to throw in the towel. My suggestion would be to give yourself more time to make a decision---a few more weeks or months. Don't make any rush decisions right now. Take some time to weigh the pros and cons for yourself---what's good FOR YOU---Can you see yourself with natural hair day in and day out? Or do you mostly like your hair straight? If you plan to get away from straight styles once you're natural, you need to learn NOW how to depend less on heat to style your hair---

And if that container of relaxer you have at home is tempting you too much, throw it away
smile.gif
. Good luck. By the way, if you decide to relax again---I can't wait to see pictures. If you decide to keep transitioning---I'd still like to see pictures. I'm sure the ladies here will offer words of encouragement regardless of what you chose to do.

[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:

Swayback, thanks for the suggestion, I've considered chopping my hair but I don't want to lose my length!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you flat ironing your new growth on a regular basis? If you keep doing that the entire time you transition, when you finally do cut off the relaxed ends you may find that the natural hair you were flat-ironing all along is a little straighter than the hair that will continue to grow out of your scalp. If you end up wearing your natural hair straight most of the time it won't be a problem but if you want to wear your hair coily, it might be a problem. Regular heat straightening over a long period of time will break down the hair texture unless you are lucky and have very thick hair strands. I don't want to scare you but if you can find an alternative to the heat, try it.

when you start having thoughts of relaxing again, just sit back and think about what inspired you to start transitioing in the first place. good luck with whatever you do.

Thanks everyone, for all the words of encouragement! I've decided to stick it out for a while longer. I'm really trying to make my goal of transitioning for 1 whole year, but July seems like it's YEARS away! I'm hanging in there though!
up.gif
up.gif
up.gif

ayannahpooh, what styles do you currently wear? Do you always flatiron?

Don't worry, your year will be up before you know it! I can't believe I will be at a year in just another month and a half!

Back