Anyone thinking of throwing in the "NATURAL" towel for 2012?

The main thing that's holding me back is traveling to the hair salon. When I used to live in Brooklyn I traveled to the Bronx for 13 years because my hairdresser kept my hair healthy and long. Then she left and I couldn't find anyone that knew what they were doing. Where I live now there aren't a lot of Black/Dominican salons and the few that are here I don't trust them. I'm not into traveling to another borough, waiting to get my hair done, then traveling back home wasting a whole day.

I am. I'm not getting a relaxer but I am becoming a straight hair natural. I'm actually still in love with my hair I'm only making this change because I just want something different. Right now I'm in the Dominican salon getting a blow out. COme Saturday I will get my bsl hair cut in to short cut like rhianna and chrisette Michelle had. I just want something new and exciting. I will go back to rocking my naps in the future but right now I'm 24 and have always been the type to stick to the same thing. I don't like change. I'm trying to change that and have fun.
Only reason I didn't get my hair cut today is because I need to find a salon and a blow out was the middle ground in case I chicken out lol.
lol i chickened out on getting my hair cut and on becoming a straight hair natural. i am still rocking my naps daily and am actually glad that i did not get my hair cut.
im natural for life.

No, my hair is fine and it was limp when relax, now when i wear it straight the volume is full and thick.

Not me...I'm natural for life.:yep:

OP, what is your regimen?
I wished my hair was your length then I would be happy right now iam strongly considering relaxed it was so much easier, but thinner
I can't find any styles keeping a head rag on all the time is getting old I am 10 inches up front and on the sides and 3 inches all over this crazy going relaxed

I seriously considered it. I have so much shrinkage. My hair is nearly bra strap when straight but just let me try and do a wash n go or a twist out and it is ear length. Nothing I do or use has really maximized and elongated my curls. I thought about a light texlax. Just to combat the shrinkage. I bought a long curly wig instead. But I am still considering a the texlax.

Talked to DH who couldn't be any less interested, but he thinks I am just bored with my hair and suggested coloring it. I KNOW from past experience I cant color or highlight and have relaxed hair so I am wondering if a head full of color will combat the urge to have less tightly coiled hair.

Welp...I relaxed on Tuesday. I'm actually very satisfied, at least I am for now! I feel a tinge of guilt but I hope my time as a natural will help me take better care of my relaxed hair than I used to.

I did.... after 4 yrs natural... went bone straight last week. so far.. I'm really liking it... (washed my hair 2ce this week already... air drying went extremely well..).. My hair really hates heat (blowdryers and flat iron).. and ultimately, the heat killed my natural hair (heat damage) and previous relaxed hair that thrived with roller sets (so I've leaned the hard way to stay away from heat relaxed or natural) ... + I was tired of wearing twists... With my 4B/C hair texture... Braidouts, twist outs, wash and go's look pretty bad... Twists look amazing tho... but after 4 yrs of twists .. I was ready for change...

My plan was (is) really to start my journey from scratch... but if my relaxed hair flourishes, I'll remain relaxed for a while.. life is just so much easier (for me) and wash days are such a joy .. loll...(I can detangle in 3 minutes).

Ultimately, you have to do what makes you happy... You can always switch back and forth if natural/relaxed doesnt work out for u.. No need to stress too much....

I captured the whole relaxer process here... Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcnk8GAc-Mg

I've only been natural for 10 months. But I'm pretty sure I would loc my hair before getting a relaxer or texlax.

judy4all
I think we're hair twins, because I remember watching your natural hair vids!

I agree with you, I love my scalp more than my hair! We used Affirm Sensitive scalp and I did not burn at all. I was pleasantly surprised because I was preparing myself for the worst! Your stylist looked so gentle while combing out your hair.

Kay.Dee Heyy... share some pictures?? Videos?? anything :)

I'm definitely grateful for my stylist although I wanted to snatch away the fine tooth comb from him sometimes .. lol

I may take some pics, I'm doing my first wash tomorrow! I did take some last photos of my natural hair in all of its glory.

My stylist started to comb through the relaxer with a rat tail comb and I (lied) and said I was burning. No Ma'am! I think I plan on self-relaxing now, I just wanted a professional to handle the bulk of it.

You seemed very happy! I agree with you, I have no regrets. Most of my friends were more upset than me! I was tired of stressing and fretting over my hair. I think I will loc in the distant future once I change careers but being a loosed haired natural is not for me.

Your hair is very pretty and I hope I can get to that length in the next 6 months!

I may take some pics, I'm doing my first wash tomorrow! I did take some last photos of my natural hair in all of its glory.

My stylist started to comb through the relaxer with a rat tail comb and I (lied) and said I was burning. No Ma'am! I think I plan on self-relaxing now, I just wanted a professional to handle the bulk of it.

You seemed very happy! I agree with you, I have no regrets. Most of my friends were more upset than me! I was tired of stressing and fretting over my hair. I think I will loc in the distant future once I change careers but being a loosed haired natural is not for me.

Your hair is very pretty and I hope I can get to that length in the next 6 months!

lol @ bolded.. I hear you.. I think about self relaxing too... But I really HATE neutralizing for so darn long.... lol... I think (for now) I'll just buy my products and take it to the stylist... for now... Who knows how I'll feel next week or even tomorrow? lol

Not exactly. But I will be BKTing from now on. I've done it before and it was the best thing I've done in terms of elasticity and no breakage.

Back