Shoulder Length Challenge

I'm in also! My starting point is posted in my photo album. I'm currently wearing braids now. I just got them on christmas eve. Hopefully by June I will be shoulder length. Last relaxer on the 7th of Dec. I'm going to try and stretch till April maybe even June. Pics of braids also in album.

Good luck ladies!

hotlusciousl said:
I'm in also! My starting point is posted in my photo album. I'm currently wearing braids now. I just got them on christmas eve. Hopefully by June I will be shoulder length. Last relaxer on the 7th of Dec. I'm going to try and stretch till April maybe even June. Pics of braids also in album.

Good luck ladies!

Good luck! You can do it!:clap:

quick question. what is the true length of shoulder length:ohwell: I mean, I've seen ppl with hair at the nape of their neck say they are shoulder, and some who are actually past their shoulders say shoulder length.

determine3 said:
quick question. what is the true length of shoulder length:ohwell: I mean, I've seen ppl with hair at the nape of their neck say they are shoulder, and some who are actually past their shoulders say shoulder length.

Same here. I have seen that same thing.

I can speak for myself = Shoulder Length to me is when my hair is full and thick on both sides and in the back, all resting on or even past my shoulders even when curled lightly on the ends. When I get to that point, I will feel that I am shoulder length.

like this:

MCross00111th%20Annual%20Screen%20Actors%20Guild%20Awards%20Arrivals,%20Shrine%20Auditorium,%20Los%20Angeles,%20CA,%2002-05-05_250h.jpg

Last edited:
Count me in. I need to update my fotki. I have since loss a lot of hair due to working many jobs. I had my ends clipped and the stylist decided to even my hair all around.

I moisturize everyday with a glycerine/water combo

I use MTG every other day.

Wash/condition every 3 days with Therappe/Humectress

I Surge/S-Curl my scalp every other day.

Last edited:
I'm in! Right now the back of my hair is at the neck, and the sides are at my ears. I'll be using the Crown and glory technique (I'm going to try ) for the year.

Last edited:
Just an update at to how I am wearing my hair during the challenge:

I have a below the shoulder sew-in weave. I'll be doing the Crown & Glory Method while wearing my weave.

I will be using Nexxus/Dudley's/New Image/Surge until I run out of these products.

I take lots of medications so I will be exercising and getting back to healthy eating to spur on good growth. I found a weave style that I like so I'll keep rocking it until I can rock my own.

Auntybe

That sounds good.

I wish I had a plan.

I am still having a hard time with styles right now.

I have been wearing my hair up everyday which sucks when I need to have a nice hair-do for going out or something. :ohwell:

auntybe said:
Just an update at to how I am wearing my hair during the challenge:

I have a below the shoulder sew-in weave. I'll be doing the Crown & Glory Method while wearing my weave.

I will be using Nexxus/Dudley's/New Image/Surge until I run out of these products.

I take lots of medications so I will be exercising and getting back to healthy eating to spur on good growth. I found a weave style that I like so I'll keep rocking it until I can rock my own.

Auntybe

Can I join? I just got a "trim" which turned out to be a major cut (and an awful one at that--uneven and no shape. She told me you need shaping--all progress gone....

It will grow back.

Count me in. In the back my hair is currently at my neck. Last time I had it down in November the back was resting on my clothes. It's been weaved up since then. I don't really want to take it down yet but I'm going to have to in a few weeks. I'm doing the sew in weave challenge. I'm also taking vitamins. I've been bad the past few days though. I've been taking Biotin and Fingerprinted Horsetail for about a month and a half now. My new growth feels incredibly soft and silky. Usually it feels kinda rough. lol So idk if the vitamins are working or not. Guess I'll find out when I take this hair down. I bought the Hair Skin and Nails vitamin from GNC the other day, too. So i'll be adding that. Anyone else here try that? If so, how did it work? Anyway, I'm hoping to be shoulder length by June 2006. Wish me luck! Happy Hair Growing Ladies!!

Last edited:
I'm in. I'm just grazing my collarbone, so I hope to be a definite shoulder length by June. I'm really excited! My hair hasn't been that long in over 5 years!

Count Me In, Im sort of confused on the reginmin but I think I'll oil my hair & scalp one a week with wgo and wash and deep condition with heat blowdry & flatiron or flexi rod it then do it again:)

I'm in. I really want to grow my hair past my shoulders so this is the perfect challenge for me. I am streching perms and wearing buns 99% of the time to achieve my growth. I wish to be at shoulder blade status by Jan 07

I bought the Hair Skin and Nails vitamin from GNC the other day, too. So i'll be adding that. Anyone else here try that? If so, how did it work? Anyway, I'm hoping to be shoulder length by June 2006. Wish me luck! Happy Hair Growing Ladies!![/QUOTE]

I tried the Hair Skin and Nails vitamins that you are talking about and they made me itch like CRAZY and I discontinued to use them. Actually that experience was so horrid I swore off pills for hair growth.

I tried the Hair Skin and Nails vitamins that you are talking about and they made me itch like CRAZY and I discontinued to use them. Actually that experience was so horrid I swore off pills for hair growth.

I agree. I was taking a bunch of vitamins at one point and, although I didn't get itching, it was just too much.

But I think many ladies have used the GNC ones and love them. I only take Biosil, but I don't think they may hair grow faster, just maybe stronger, as the box says.

I'm in for the challenge. I'm a new member and just trying to get my regime down and my camara up and running. I am growing my hair out for the first time as an adult. I wore that cute Nia Long, Halle Berry cut for many years. I got braids in Feb 05 and kept my hair braided in micros then tree braids for about 6 months. The shortest parts of my hair (the sides and the back were shaved) grew the longest...the front bangs didn't grow much and my hairline was damaged due to the micro braids. So not only will I work on getting my hair about shoulder lenght, but I have to get my edges to grow back in.

My routine:
- MTG w/ jojoba oil & perpermint oil (to control the smell) daily
- Vitamins: ultra Hair, Omega 3 & fish oil, evening primrose oil
- Organic coconut oil treatment 1 a week
- Preventive style (fake pony tails, balls, and falls)
- No heat

Count me in...my hair is currently touching the tip of my back and my sides are are at the nape of my neck....I want all my hair to be shoulder length.....Isn't this hair growing exciting...I love the challenge.....

Tanya

I'm IN!

;) I plan to alternate between braids and sew-in weaves for the entire year!

I want my hair laying on my shoulders by summer 06.

Hello ladies, new member here. I'm in too. My hair is currently mid-neck length.

Last edited:
I would like to join this challenge too.

Here are my hair stats:

My hair at the nape reaches my shoulder blades while the rest of my hair is either chin length (my crown area) or close to the bottom of my neck (the parts right above my ears.)

My regimen:

- Shampoo my hair once a week alternate between a moisturizing shampoo and a clarifying shampoo
- Condition hair at least three times a week
- Do weekly deep conditioning treatments.
- Moisturize hair twice daily
- Do a protein treatment about every 12 weeks.
- Use shea butter and coconut oil when stretching out my touch ups.
- Start a vitamin regimen
- Wear my hair in protective styles pretty much all the time using phonytails, quick weaves, and buns.
- Sleep on a satin pillowcase

My goal is to grow the shorter layers of my hair to my shoulders by this summer.

Count me in! May hair is really short right now, like at my ears, so I'm giving myself until the end of the year to get to shoulder length, including trims. So that'll be 10 months shooting for 5 inches.

How is it going ladies? I have a little newgrowth from my braids I'm thinking about getting a sew-in. I live in Fort Washington Maryland so I'm trying to get Reniece to hook me up with a flyy style. You can look at her work Reniece.com I'll post pics of my growth in a few minutes. Still stretching!

hotlusciousl said:
How is it going ladies? I have a little newgrowth from my braids I'm thinking about getting a sew-in. I live in Fort Washington Maryland so I'm trying to get Reniece to hook me up with a flyy style. You can look at her work Reniece.com I'll post pics of my growth in a few minutes. Still stretching!

Things are going well for me. My hair has been getting fuller. I am not wearing any protective styles so I hoep that I will still be able to retain as much growth as possible.

My goal is to be shoulder length by my birthday - July 21.

The way my hair looks when is is wet or totally straight, it IS touching my shoulders, but it is not my idea of how I want my true shoulder-length to be.

I want it to be full and shoulder length even if I have the ends curls a little.

Update:

Ok--well, my first goal is for ANY part of my hair to reach shoulder (will be my nape area first b/c of layers I had in my hair)--and then I want to work on getting the rest there.

I am on my way! I just took my twists out and I had some growth--maybe 1/2 inch...I have such a hard time measuring my natural hair...

Janurary 2006 (barely at colar bone)
http://images15.fotki.com/v264/free/acff2/8/811019/3013068/100_0165-vi.jpg

Feburary 2006 (past colar bone)
http://images16.fotki.com/v278/free/acff2/8/811019/3013068/100_0370-vi.jpg

Back