Should I Texlax???????????

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
ok, im soo tired of straigtening my hair. plus everytime i straighten it, it never feels good. it feels dry and desperate. i dont know how other girls straighten their hair and it looks soo silky!! i never got a comb through my hair, NEVER...not once even when it staightend. anywho, should i just textlax? if i do, will my hair be straight withought me having to run a flat iron through it? and what moisturizers to use?? im tired of the curly look allllll the time, everday i have twistouts. i love them, but i just want a style that shows my length. my mbl hair turns to shoulder lenght hair with twistouts:nono:. please give me some advice..thanks in advance

There's a Maxiglide craze going on around here now, and many of us who rarely straighten or are afraid of heat seem to be getting good results. How about getting one and trying it out? If it works out, you can vary between straight and curly more easily.

I hear you on the shrinkage, when I straightened last week it was so different to feel my hair on my back.

I'm at a crossroads myself. I've been natural my whole life, well except for a two year run with the relaxer. I want easier styling options. Sorry I don't have any advice as I struggle with this question daily.

well, i see beautiful texlaxed hair. one in particular is *Happily Me* i love her hair. her hair is kinda straight, just the way i like it. i dont like bone straight. so im thinkin, if i texlax i dont have to worry about straightening for strinkage/ <---confuesed

Have you straightened chemically in the past? If your hair reacted well and you were able to maintain length, then it may be a good choice for you. Lots of people have found they retain length better by avoiding single strand knots and they can achieve basic looks with much less manipulation which helps to avoid damage.

IMHO, I would say better the devil you know; you can vary your tools and products til you perfect your straightening technique and results. Relaxing will be permanent, if you decide it's not working for you you will have to transition or BC, unless your hair revolts or reacts badly in the first instance. Experiment with some new styles, & if you still feel this way in a few weeks, proceed with caution.

Think carefully, and I hope it works out for you whether decide to relax or stay natural. Your hair is beautiful.

Well with texlaxed hair no two heads are the same so be wary with that. I would consider revamping your blowdrying and straightening techniques before considering. Even blowdryed/banded hair may help you if you want length to your styles. Rollersetting or curlformers is something to look into as well.

I'm getting my relaxer for some of the same reasons this saturday...I been natural for 6 yrs now and since I mainly wear my hair straight, and my main reason for leaving chems was the stylist...I see nothing but good things in my future with chems....

I would try getting it straightened professionally for a different look. Or you could look into getting a BKT. There is a ton of info on here about it.

I dont suggest it.... I mean if your hair aint broke dont fix it! Natural seems to work for you since you have retained a lot of length.

More than likely you should revisit your straightning techniques and try the BKT first to see if that can give you a straighter look without full committment to a permanent texlax or relaxer.

Well it seems what your real issue is, is lack of technique.

I think you should first learn to do a PROPER press and flat iron with silky results you can easily glide a comb thru and look into improving your styling technique for natural hair before you make a decision out of frustration.

What is your straightening technique? What products are you using and what quality are your tools? Is your iron fully ceramic and are you using serums that will protect the strand and facilitate straightening? Do you implement the comb chase method? There are alot of things you can do to improve on your technique and get beautiful results.

Shrinkage is definitely going to be a factor when you're natural my twists shrink to shoulder length too. I happen to wear my hair straight.....alot so I show my length alot, but I live in the north where its super easy to maintain a press for a good two/thirds of the year.

Maybe you can try twist-outs and then banding your hair?

Maybe texlaxed hair would be the best option for you....but your MBL natural hair is very beautiful and healthy as it is and I would be wary of messing with what works.......

Last edited:
ok, im soo tired of straigtening my hair. plus everytime i straighten it, it never feels good. it feels dry and desperate. i dont know how other girls straighten their hair and it looks soo silky!! i never got a comb through my hair, NEVER...not once even when it staightend. anywho, should i just textlax? if i do, will my hair be straight withought me having to run a flat iron through it? and what moisturizers to use?? im tired of the curly look allllll the time, everday i have twistouts. i love them, but i just want a style that shows my length. my mbl hair turns to shoulder lenght hair with twistouts:nono:. please give me some advice..thanks in advance

I was a natural who went texlax and to me you still have to know good technique to get the straight look regardless. I used to have a stylist who could easily put swang in my natural hair with ease. But for me when I had to do I had to Blowdry on cool and then flat iron my hair without using a ton of products (similar to Dominican technique)

No your hair will NOT be straight enought to not have to use a flatiron through it. You can always opt for a rollerset and then wrap for a sleek look, too. :yep:

How often do you straighten? If its not a lot then I think you have to work on technique. Plus you want to see why you have dryness when you go for straight look - it could be heat, products or technique.

Just research the boards ask those who are texlax their thoughts. I know when i went texlax i didn't like it as it later led to dryness (its still a relaxer - so keep that in mind) To me I found it more work as you have to know the exact timing method to repeat a universal texlax look when it comes to the new growth and previously texlax hair. :ohwell:

Also, check out youtube tutorials for those naturals that straighten. I use a comb method when I do flatiron.

Best wishes to you as I know how it feels to be frustrated and in limbo with hair decisions

thanks ladies for your help. i thought about all of the things i may be doing wrong as i read your comments. one of the questions asked was, was i using a good flat iron......:nono:. i only paid 26 dollars for mine. maybe thats it. i use glycerin all the time, maybe thats another problem. i dc with with cholesterol and infu23 mixed. wash every week. :rolleyes:i dont know....

If you want to enjoy a straighter look without dryness then I think Maxigliding (which has steam burst) is the way to go. Also, choose a heat protectant that doesn't dry your hair out.

Texlaxing didn't work for me. If dryness is an issue, texlaxing to me makes hair more dry. I say go relaxed straight or stay natural. I did a corrective on my texlaxed hair and didn't regret it.

I can't get a comb through my air dried relaxed hair, but when I wrap it (silk wrap) I can.

Your hair looks nice natural. Maybe you could try one of the BKT products. Dreamhair is the one everyone seems to be raving about now. Check out Fabulosity's thread about her results. Also check out the BKT support thread. This process is temporary and will give you some versatility. Then if your still not satisfied you can try texlaxing. Maybe others will chime in. HTH.

If you want to enjoy a straighter look without dryness then I think Maxigliding (which has steam burst) is the way to go. Also, choose a heat protectant that doesn't dry your hair out.

Texlaxing didn't work for me. If dryness is an issue, texlaxing to me makes hair more dry. I say go relaxed straight or stay natural. I did a corrective on my texlaxed hair and didn't regret it.

I can't get a comb through my air dried relaxed hair, but when I wrap it (silk wrap) I can.

I guess I ended up texlaxing my hair when I processed it this last time, and I feel like I am experiencing a lot of dryness. :nono: Especially at my scalp. I have been wanting to correct it, but it never seems like a good time.

Back