• no

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • dont go jackoing your head up, no again

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • i dont know

Votes: 18 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think you hair is fab and while there are many beautiful texlaxers here, I'd hate for you to go that route for reasons already mentioned.

I say get some Cowboy Magic detangler or even Chi Silk Infusion and call it a day. They're great for detangling and smoothing hair.

IMO HECK NO! don't do it.
I think you should do what you feel is best but don't think texturizing will fix all the "problems" you may think you have with your hair. Hope you're happy with whatever you choose, but I really hope you've thought it through first cause the grass is always greener as they say.

What if texlaxing or texturizing doesn't give you want you want? Have you already thought about that and the possibility of coming out with bone straight hair, and how hard it is to match the new growth touch ups with the already texturized hair. And you still have to apply heat to get it straight as if it was still natural plus you have chems in it. I understand you want to see your length, but you'll also be giving up some thickness and curls too.

Here's some food for thought:
go to 5:00

http://www.youtube.com/user/LeobodyC5#p/c/69A3AAFAB00BD571/3/E9oOrIT83P0

Her hair is amazing!

Adora - I don't have much advice above what others have said (even though I just texturized my natural hair on Friday). All I can say is that it was a tough decision, and I put myself on a timeline back in September. I decided that if I didn't see progress, or if my hair was still extremely difficult by the new year (i.e. single strand knots at wash day, and even when I straighten), I'd go back to texturizing.

Also, I just wanted to point out that depending on how much you do texlax/texturize, it will be your own texture stretched out. I know that's kind of obvious, but with that said a strand test is critical. You could end up texlaxing and seeing little difference from your natural hair...meaning just as many tangles AND hair that has been exposed to chems.

Let us know what you decide!

I know exactly how you feel girl. I went from natural to texlaxed last April. My lifestyle could not handle 3-4 hours just to "do" my hair. Even if I was only doing it every 2-3 weeks.

Here's my thread about it:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=358227

You should have had an option on your poll that said "Do what's best for YOU!" When I was making the decision to relax, there were a lot of opinions on whether or not I should. While I appreciated the response I was getting (I asked for them), they didn't really know what I had to go through with MY hair. I texlaxed, and I'm happy I did. I think my hair is doing great. I DC every week. I use mild protein treatments like every two weeks. I do A LOT to take care of my hair. And while now I still probably take almost the same amount of time to do my hair (since I DC and care for it properly now), I'm still not in the shower detangling for an hour and twisting my hair (getting cramps in my fingers) for 2.5 hours. :ohwell:

So, I say all of that to say, we can tell you what WE think, but ultimately only YOU can make the best decision for your hair. :yep:

Last edited:
You look like you have dyed/highlighted hair and it will almost certainly go bone straight even if you go the under processed route. If you wanted to wear WNG's, it could be a bit problematic.

Just wanted to toss that reminder out there.

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.

Hey Adora,
Your hair is so beautiful. I never had thick hair like yours. I don't know how you manage all that hair. But I feel your pain, you have WL hair and can't do much with it because it is so thick and your styling options are limited.
Think about it carefully, and if you really want to, do a light texlax. I wouldn't go as straight as I am but enough to loosen your curls. You may even be able to do wash and go hairstyles.
The most important thing is that YOU will be better able to manage your hair and you are happy with it. It is your hair and your choice. We can say anything we want but at the end of the day, you are the one stuck with detangling and styling it.
Hope that helps.

BTW: I hate my own videos. I cringe everytime I watch them.

do you wash in braids? that cuts down on tangling...girl i transitioned out of my relaxer 8yrs ago and am still prefecting my reggie and technique....i really started to retain length about 2.5 yrs ago. I use wigs to protective style. I don't want you to do the texlax but you have to do what's best for you. Do you own a maxiglide its a steam flatiron so you would be less likely to get heat damge if you don't over do it. What products do you use when you do twist outs, braidouts and rollersets? technique and products make all the difference.

Do what's best for you. If you're truly unhappy with your hair, then I take that as a sign that SOMETHING needs to change.

Texlaxing results seem to vary wildly though, so go into it with your eyes wide open. :look: Seems risky on all that hair you have; I would've been too frightened to relax my hair if it was as long as yours. :grin: Natural has obviously been working for you. :ohwell: But if you're unhappy... do what you gotta do, but do it with your eyes open and not in fantasy. :yep:

You can read my one lonely blog post of when I decided to jump the shark and relax. :yep:

Last edited:
You should do what you think is best for your hair. No one knows it like you do. But with that being said, make sure that you do know it the best. Maybe a blowdryer like the FHI Heat Nano Salon and a flat iron like the Hana Elite would help (100% ceramic, not ceramic coated like the others, excluding the FHI runway). They're top of the line, but you can find good deals on the blowdryer on ebay and the flat iron on misikko.com(the professional works nicely, too. The Elite is just the best and there is a 2 year warranty). A rollerset with this blowdryer might work well if your hair is properly moisturized (happy moisture/protein balance). This blow dryer is not made with the metal coils of drugstore brand hair dryers, so it would not suck the moisture out in a way that would make your hair snap, crackle, and pop. If you end up not liking it there would be a bunch of girls on ebay or ioffer just hoping you'd sell it. On the other hand, shrinkage can be a beast! It frustrates me too @ times.

I texlaxed my hair in January 09. Or well, I had it done and I totally regret it this year now that I take more refined care of my hair. Not that I did "bad" things last year. I did what a lot of ladies do...it just wasnt exactly what my hair needed. Now I'm clipping the textlaxed hair off and I'm barely grazing shoulder length...again.
So, what works best for one person, may not work best for you. Again, that's why the decision is yours to make. Good luck!

ETA: If you do decide to texlax and do it yourself, Revlon Realistic Lye is one of the slowest processing relaxers on the market. You may also want to make sure that you have some ACV on hand to help with neutralizing. HTH

Last edited:
It looks like you already decided before you made this post. So good luck to you.

However, I also have very thick hair. Even relaxed (leaving the relaxer on for 45 minutes) my hair would still be a lot of work and take a few hours everytime I washed it. Thick hair is a lot of work either way.

I'm a little confused also because I thought you loved your natural hair (from your posts). Again, it's your decision and I hope you like the results.

Do what you feel is best for you. You know your hair and what you can take. What ever the consequences, if any, I am sure you will survive. You have not grown your hair to this length by not taking care of it, and with this change; should you decide to texlax, I don't see you abandoning your hair. Besides, you have a wealth of knowledge and support here on the boards.

It seems like you think a texturizer is going to "soften" your hair. If your hair is dry now, when you texlax it's still going to be dry if not drier. I think you need to work on getting you protein/moisture in check. Finding some products with slip, and using the right tools. You have a lot of hair. Practice and try and perfect your skills, it may not be easy at first but when you get the hang, your in. No one is gonna love your hair like you! Which we all already know.

But if you want to texlax too, that's also your decision but don't go thinking texlaxing is going to solve your hair problems.

It sounds like you don't want curly hair. If not, relaxing is better for you. When I texlaxed, I still had to detangle and I still had to do the same thing to my hair like I was natural. It just took me less time to do it.:look: I wish you much success in your decision. Your natural hair sure is long and healthy looking. It is a good goal for me to look forward to reaching when I BC.:yep:

Well I don't know, but I just thought I'd say to do what you feel is best. When people with a lot of hair ask for the public opinion haters are gonna come out and tell you to do something just to see you mess up.

I personally think if you used a more moisturizing leave-in besides S curl your hair will be able to comb through a lot easier.

I love kinky curly knot today leave-in/detangler because it keeps my hair soft and I only have to moisturize it every time I wash n go. Even when I comb it, I do not experience hair snapping.

Too me s curl is ok but it dries the heck out of my hair.

ETA: If you do texlax consider doing a sectioning method that way one area will not over process than some areas.

Have you tried other methods such as using betonite clay or yogurt and lime, caramel treatment and maybe using salt in your conditioner (kiyafizzle)? I would NOT recommend henna as it will thicken your strands (I do not think you need anymore thickness). Like another poster said, if you are going to do a strand test make sure you also do one on an area with your highlights cause texlaxing would most likely bone straight those areas.

Last edited:
I personally think if you used a more moisturizing leave-in besides S curl your hair will be able to comb through a lot easier.

I love kinky curly knot today leave-in/detangler because it keeps my hair soft and I only have to moisturize it every time I wash n go. Even when I comb it, I do not experience hair snapping.

Too me s curl is ok but it dries the heck out of my hair.

ETA: If you do texlax consider doing a sectioning method that way one area will not over process than some areas.

Have you tried other methods such as using betonite clay or yogurt and lime, caramel treatment and maybe using salt in your conditioner (kiyafizzle)? I would NOT recommend henna as it will thicken your strands (I do not think you need anymore thickness). Like another poster said, if you are going to do a strand test make sure you also do one on an area with your highlights cause texlaxing would most likely bone straight those areas.

I agree with the bolded. I think frequent deep conditioning is also a must. It has definitely made my hair much more manageable. I don't have your length AdoraAdora, but I have crazy thickness. Do you deep condition your hair? If so, with what and how often? Sorry if you already posted this and I missed.

It seems like you think a texturizer is going to "soften" your hair. If your hair is dry now, when you texlax it's still going to be dry if not drier. I think you need to work on getting you protein/moisture in check. Finding some products with slip, and using the right tools. You have a lot of hair. Practice and try and perfect your skills, it may not be easy at first but when you get the hang, your in. No one is gonna love your hair like you! Which we all already know.

But if you want to texlax too, that's also your decision but don't go thinking texlaxing is going to solve your hair problems.

no no no, my hair is far from dry. and i got the moisture and protein balance perfect, thats how my hair grew this long, i just want to be able to comb it and not have it so big

eta: its hard for me to style my hair the way i want right now.

Last edited:
It looks like you already decided before you made this post. So good luck to you.

However, I also have very thick hair. Even relaxed (leaving the relaxer on for 45 minutes) my hair would still be a lot of work and take a few hours everytime I washed it. Thick hair is a lot of work either way.

I'm a little confused also because I thought you loved your natural hair (from your posts). Again, it's your decision and I hope you like the results.

thanks kccurly, i do love my natural hair:nono: but i dont know what to do with it. i feel like if things dont go well, ill start all over becuase it only took me two years to get it here. thats not long. i dont know what to do with it. i thought about it deeply last night and i still dont know what to do............ i did not make a decision yet...:perplexed:ohwell:

Well I don't know, but I just thought I'd say to do what you feel is best. When people with a lot of hair ask for the public opinion haters are gonna come out and tell you to do something just to see you mess up.

ITA &
i was really surprised that the majority voted yes 2 tex-laxing?! :look:
OP ur hair is really pretty- u may not get the results u want w/chemicals so plz try & exhaust every option b4 u do sumn permanent like that...gawsh i luv ur hair!

Adora have you been to Terri's site? If not, its http://tightlycurly.com/welcome/ and and heres her method for taking the bulk outta her hair and defining her curls: The Curly Primer Method your hair isn't exactly like hers but you do have a loose curl with hang so I think this will be really helpful to you.:yep:

ETA: You said you wanted to see more of your length....its winter right now....why not rollerset and flat-iron for a while to show off and see your length? I have straightening phases where I wanna show off my progess and new longer length....for me its a blowdryer and a flat iron away for you probably a rollerset then flat iron....

Last edited:
I think you should do more research and try different products before you make a final decision, although it sounds like you already did. There is a lot of good advice in this thread. Your hair is beautiful and I don't feel right advocating that you relax. At the end of the day it's your decision though. Good luck. Also, I would be wary about the authenticity of answers in this poll based on your posting history.

if you feel like it's too big at the current length, do you think cutting would be a better alternative? If i reach my ultimate goal of WL and I feel like I cant handle, I'm going to cut it to maybe BSL or MBL instead of going back to chemicals.

^^^
I thought she wanted to SEE the length? In that case she's not going to want to cut it. That would make it look even shorter (and be)

Gee, why do i feel like im letting everyone down? most people are saying dont do it. i actually feel bad for thinking about altering my natural hair, but i also feel bad dealing with my natural hair. (still thinking about it) i was thinking about buying a box of "just for me" mix some olive oil in it, And just DOING IT.

Letting US down? I don't think you should put any chemicals in your hair but I'M not the one that has to deal with it everyday. If you feel like texlaxing is a better option for you and how you want to wear your hair on a daily basis and you've looked at the pros and cons then DO IT.

no no no, my hair is far from dry. and i got the moisture and protein balance perfect, thats how my hair grew this long, i just want to be able to comb it and not have it so big

eta: its hard for me to style my hair the way i want right now.

ooooh OK. well then maybe it is sounding like you need a relaxer because I think even with a texlax your hair is still going to be BIG. What is it that you are unhappy with about your hair now? There are so many products out there to try for slip and to tame and control curly/kinky/frizzy hair.

I guess I am just kinda worried because you have so much hair, and someone mentioned about your highlights possibly going bone straight or your hair not taking properly because of the length and trying to do it right all over. It would suck to mess up all your progress. Whatever you decide GL and HHG!

Back